Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The restaurant review thread

Default The restaurant review thread

I went to the new Scholars Inn on Mass Ave over the weekend. Wow that is the coolest, classiest restaurant I have ever been too. Won't be for everyone. It is pricey - with tip it was $112.00 (for two) and we didn't have desert, or salad and each of us had only 1 drink. But if you want to impress your date - it is a great place to go. I've never seen an interior like that - hard to describe - food was excellent also. If you want to have a dinning experience that you wont soon forget, I highly recommend it.

http://www.scholarsinn.com/IndyLounge/index.html

The pictures on the website give a decent idea of what the interior looks like -
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-23-2008 at 09:43 AM.

teY dennaB toN

Default Re: Your favorite downtown Indianapolis restaurant

It's a chain - but Oceannaire is pretty freaking good too, as long as someone else is paying...

Crabcakes are the real deal.

Haven't been to the Scholars Inn on Mass Ave, but have been to the original one in Bloomington several years ago. It was great too, although I imagine the Mass Ave one is now better.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 07-21-2008 at 10:12 AM.

Had a great dinner Saturday.

Went to Hudson neat Dupont for drinks and an appetizer while waiting for our 9:15 dinner reservations down the street.

Then went to our dinner reservations at West End Bistro, a few blocks west of Hudson on M Street. Also pretty good - though the drinks and appetizer at the first place were actually better. Nothing a good bottle of wine didn't wash down though. Spending $300 on the evening was not ideal, but most of it wasn't my money, so I won't really complain.

http://www.hudson-dc.com/

http://www.westendbistrodc.com/

Of course, this isn't in Indianapolis - but we seem to be in the spirit of talking about nice dinners we had this weekend here.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a chain - but Oceannaire is pretty freaking good too, as long as someone else is paying...

Crabcakes are the real deal.

Haven't been to the Scholars Inn on Mass Ave, but have been to the original one in Bloomington several years ago. It was great too, although I imagine the Mass Ave one is now better.
    Yeah Oceannaire is really nice - that bill for me and my date was $145.00 and once again - no dessert, I don't think either of us drank any alcohol that night. Very good.

But I liked the Scholars Inn more

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I have an admin request - can we just have one restaurant thread? I travel a lot and sometimes get the benefit of eating in some pretty classy places (and sometimes some amazing hole-in-the-walls as well). This might be a good place to check in if someone is travelling to the same towns.

Maybe just change the title of this one to "The Restaurant Review Thread" or something?

Just a thought ...
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The owners of St. Elmo's opened a new place right next door that I ate at, and thought it was great for lunch. Still wasn't cheap but you could eat there for a much more reasonable price.

EDIT: It's called Harry and Izzy's. It's right next door. I had the prime rib sandwich and it was delicious.

http://www.harryandizzys.com/

Another real good place isn't dowtown, but I need to plug it here because it has such a horrible location is Z's Oyster Bar and Steakhouse. http://www.zsoyster.com/
    Good food, and probably the best service you will find anywhere in Indianapolis. It's location is so bad though that it never has anyone there. It is located in Castleton right where that old seafood place that turned into a mexican place used to be. You can see it if you are heading west on 465.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 07-21-2008 at 10:33 AM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Ah - St. Elmo's.

A fairly standard steakhouse menu, and a cramped setting, but I've never had a bad meal there.

Is the Indy restaurant called The Iron Skillet still open? From what I remember, that place was awesome.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Shapiro's

It's not downtown, but I love Italian Gardens on 8336 E Washington St. The whole place is kind of corny aesthetically but oh my, it is some of the better Italian food I've ever had outside of Italy.

A lot of the nicer decor restaurants in DC have great settings, but the food tastes like it came from a can. The ethnic food (Ethiopian, Indonesian) is really good but it's hard to find a place that serves good, standard, American fare.
    Last edited by idioteque; 07-21-2008 at 12:08 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've been to most of the major steakhouses in Indy and for my money Broad Ripple Steakhouse is hard to beat. You'll spend $50 less than almost anywhere else and that's WITH drinks and desert. After that I really like Sullivan's on the northside. I've been to St. Elmo's a handful of times and while I agree that I've never had a bad meal there I never walk out feeling like it was worth THAT much more than any other steakhouse. Shula's is nice too. I've had a problem there one time, and the manager picked up the tab for our table of four and not just mine to the tune of nearly $200. I was impressed. That's the difference between high end places and everyone else. They don't want ANY bad press to get out because they KNOW you can afford to go anywhere. The Outback doesn't give a crap if you don't like your steak or not because they know if you could afford better you wouldn't even be there.

Tomorrow our boss is taking us to Fogo de Chao for a recognition dinner. I always look forward to trying new places. I've never been before. I don't know much other than it's all you can eat and that it just opened in May. I'll make sure to report back and let everyone know.

Props to DC for mentioning Italian. Whenever these types of threads pop up I always bring up my favorite Italian joint which is Mama Carolla's on 54th street right on the Monon. Just thinking about their Rosemary Chicken Lasagna makes my mouth water.

Mama Carolla is delicious. And her food is pretty fantastic too.

I'll be here all night, folks.

teY dennaB toN

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt View Post
    Mama Carolla is delicious. And her food is pretty fantastic too.

I'll be here all night, folks.

Well if you're here, who's watching the basement?

Besides people with webcams?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Tomorrow our boss is taking us to Fogo de Chao for a recognition dinner. I always look forward to trying new places. I've never been before. I don't know much other than it's all you can eat and that it just opened in May. I'll make sure to report back and let everyone know.
    OK we went for our dinner today. I will say the food was very good. Was it good enough for what our boss paid for it? Probably not. For those that didn't check out the link, the place is an all you can eat brazillian style steakhouse. They grill the meat on a spit and bring it out tableside. They slice it off the spit right onto your plate. They have 15 various kinds to try, and you can try them all. The best cut that I tried was most definitely the leg of lamb, but they also had filet mignon, ribeye, top and bottom sirloin, and two kinds of ribs. We went for lunch, which was $25 per person. The waitress told us that Dinner is $50 but there is no difference, the same food is offered at both times. Atmosphere was great. They decorated very well, lots of hardwoods and modern fixtures, very masculine I guess you could say. Waitstaff was excellent. Great salad bar that came with the all you can eat price. Even though the meal was overall great, I would not say it would be worth $75 for two people ($25 each plus drinks, desert, tip). It certainly wouldn't be worth $100 plus for the dinner hour. I'm glad our boss picked up the tab. It was over $900 for 23 people.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    It's not downtown, but I love Italian Gardens on 8336 E Washington St.
    I must've went on a bad night, I had the worst Fettucini Alfredo ever there. Ever eat at Salute at 10th & Post? It's kind of hard to recommend this place because the inside is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The owner is kind of my Grandfather (a long time family friend). He is very set in his ways and tight with money so he skimps on certain things. Like, heating and air, good lighting, fountain soda, etc. But his food stays very traditional and he can make some awesome pasta and sauce.
    Props to DC for mentioning Italian. Whenever these types of threads pop up I always bring up my favorite Italian joint which is Mama Carolla's on 54th street right on the Monon. Just thinking about their Rosemary Chicken Lasagna makes my mouth water.
    I tried to go there on the 4th and they were closed for renovation or something. I have heard great things and definately plan on going. Just driving past the little outside dining area in the back makes me want to go. We went to the Aristocrat instead and it turned out to be a pretty cool place.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I tried to go there on the 4th and they were closed for renovation or something. I have heard great things and definately plan on going. Just driving past the little outside dining area in the back makes me want to go. We went to the Aristocrat instead and it turned out to be a pretty cool place.
    Yes that's a good place to eat as well. I usually get the reuben sandwhich which rivals Shapiro's for best in Indy. They also serve an outstanding sunday brunch. We used to live at 56th and College so we know ALL of the best spots around there. Binkley's and of course Yats are other area standouts. I absolutely loved living within walking distance of Yats. Best cheap eats in the city hands down.

I wasn't aware that Mama's was closed for renovations. We haven't been since early in the year.

Yes that's a good place to eat as well. I usually get the reuben sandwhich which rivals Shapiro's for best in Indy. They also serve an outstanding sunday brunch. We used to live at 56th and College so we know ALL of the best spots around there. Binkley's and of course Yats are other area standouts. I absolutely loved living within walking distance of Yats. Best cheap eats in the city hands down.

I wasn't aware that Mama's was closed for renovations. We haven't been since early in the year.
    Ever try Papa Roux at 10th & Post? It's really good cajun.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    I have an admin request - can we just have one restaurant thread? I travel a lot and sometimes get the benefit of eating in some pretty classy places (and sometimes some amazing hole-in-the-walls as well). This might be a good place to check in if someone is travelling to the same towns.

Maybe just change the title of this one to "The Restaurant Review Thread" or something?

Just a thought ...
    I second the motion - great idea.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Default Re: The restaurant review thread

OK, I changed the title - we'll see how it goes.

Does anyone know of any good Chinese restaurants in Carmel - I have been to three different ones. One is OK, one is not good, the third is not edible.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-23-2008 at 09:53 AM.

The only Chinese place I've eaten at consistently in Carmel is just north of 116th and Rangeline, and I really don't like it, but my family does. The name escapes me now, but it's in the strip center that now has the Pizza Hut/WingStreet and the drug store. It has two stone lions in front of it. We really are lacking a good Chinese place in the area, so I usually just get Thai food at Sawasdee.

McDonald's - 10/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    The only Chinese place I've eaten at consistently in Carmel is just north of 116th and Rangeline, and I really don't like it, but my family does. The name escapes me now, but it's in the strip center that now has the Pizza Hut/WingStreet and the drug store. It has two stone lions in front of it. We really are lacking a good Chinese place in the area, so I usually just get Thai food at Sawasdee.
    Yeah, I've been to that Chinese place twice and the first time I thought it was not good at all, the second time it wasn't edible. I won't be going back - Mandarin House - is the name.

I do not like buffets

Beijing City - is OK - nothing special though. It is located off og Greyhound pass near the panera bread, Honey Baked ham place - Kohls shopping center.

Lin's Garden - which they have changed the name to China Garden - it is at 131st and Meridian - neat the O'Malias - it is halfway decent - although I haven't been since the na,me change

I'm interested in trying something new for lunch today. Anyone have a recommendation for something along the Keystone corridor? I work at 82nd and Keystone.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I'm interested in trying something new for lunch today. Anyone have a recommendation for something along the Keystone corridor? I work at 82nd and Keystone.
    I used to work in that area - what type of food are you looking for. When you say 82nd and Keystone you mean Keystone at the Crossing?

The best barbeque ribs in the city without question are available at Scotty's Brewhouse - on east 96th street.

If you are ever in Charlotte, here are a couple resturants to try in no particular order:

1. Brixx Wood Fired Pizza (several locations). Excellent wood fired pizza resturant with a good selection of microbrews too.

2. Ezee's Asian Fusion(Huntersville in Brikdale) Excellent upscale asian cuisine. Just awesome food and great service.

I'll add more later but since this is a Resturant review thread for all cities, maybe this will give places to go for different cities. I would look forward to reading of other places in other cities to go when I travel for work.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I used to work in that area - what type of food are you looking for. When you say 82nd and Keystone you mean Keystone at the Crossing?

The best barbeque ribs in the city without question are available at Scotty's Brewhouse - on east 96th street.
    Yeah basically, a little bit South.

I've eaten at Scotty's before, never tried the ribs though.