Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Peyton Manning press conference :(

Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

would a colts fan root against their own team just to prove a point?

Creekshow,
    They don't even save that because he has a 1 mill dollar termination clause. Point is this is not about just this years cap. Next year the colts will be much better position to retain there other players and sign other FA. With Manning they can't do that this year or in the next 4.

I think fans have to understand that Peyton knows that the Colts are rebuilding and he doesn't have the time to wait for the team to fill the holes so he can win another SB.

Quote Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    would a colts fan root against their own team just to prove a point?

I will almost certainly root against the Colts if Manning is the opposition's QB....except if it's the Steelers, Raiders, Patriots, and maybe a few other evil teams. I might even root for the Dolphins.

But , then again, I'm not much of a Colts fan anyway.

Manning had a lot of sway for the Colts... I wonder why he didn't push for some needed changes years ago that might've not only increased his playoff success potential but not left the team so reliant on one player and one side of the ball?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

^he wanted all the $ for himself ?

(ducks)

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    ^he wanted all the $ for himself ?

(ducks)
    Except all the other top QBs make the same amount of money as Manning and have comparable cap hits. Manning's compensation in no way prevented the Colts from being contenders.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I will root for Manning in every game he plays unless he is playing the Colts. I am not even really a huge Colts fan like I am a Pacer fan but I can never root against an Indiana team.

I cried a bit today, but Irsay made the right move. The business end of sports sucks sometimes. But it will all be for good if Peyton wins another title. He sure as hell can't do that in Indianapolis.

Local media in Washington says Dan Snyder is going to go after Peyton hard. I still see Arizona, Miami, or Seattle as more likely destinations.
    Last edited by idioteque; 03-07-2012 at 11:29 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

RWB

If you didn't tear up during the last sentence of Manning's statement, then I don't know what to tell you.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Good enough place as any to put this ...............

Just saw on FOX59 that there's a billboard on the Northwest side of town that says 'THANKS #18'.

I wonder who had the foresight to design it, order it, schedule installation for TODAY, AFTERNOON. Coincidence - I think not.
    Just as an FYI, I'm pretty sure its an LED board, so that could be designed in 30 minutes, paid for and displayed with-in hours.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 03-07-2012 at 11:45 PM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    I think the problem is that they doubt Peyton can play another 3-4 years. I have the same doubts myself. He will never have full range of motion in his neck again - that's a fact with the type of surgery he's had - and it could lead to other pain issues.

Also with that 28 million dollar cap hit they couldn't go and add pieces to get the Colts back in Super Bowl contention. Jeff Saturday is a FA nearing the end of his career, Mathis, Garcon, and Wayne are free agents. The team has an entire new coaching staff and I'm sure the defense and offense will be totally redesigned. Add the #1 overall pick and the option to draft Andrew Luck and this equals total rebuilding mode.
    I'm not an NFL Capologist, but I though the 28 million was a signing bonus. I can never really tell what the cap hit is in an NFL contract, all I ever hear about is signing bonuses.

YESSS!!!!! WHO DEY!!!1

j/k... kinda.

Are you guys serious about all this crying stuff?

I'm tempted to make a poll about "did you cry watching the press conference?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Manning had a lot of sway for the Colts... I wonder why he didn't push for some needed changes years ago that might've not only increased his playoff success potential but not left the team so reliant on one player and one side of the ball?
    He made the mistake of relying on Polian to do his job.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    He made the mistake of relying on Polian to do his job.
    So did Irsay...

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

RWB

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    So did Irsay...
    No one said Jim is the smartest guy. You get enough Morts and John Claytons to keep saying Polian was the greatest and Irsay is going to think well maybe he is.

While the Colts were not mean to the local media guys (talking print here like Wilson, Chap, or Tom James) they also didn't bend over backwards for them too. But when it came to the ESPN guys my lord Polian and staff would trip over themselves to be liked.
    Last edited by RWB; 03-08-2012 at 09:04 AM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    Except all the other top QBs make the same amount of money as Manning and have comparable cap hits. Manning's compensation in no way prevented the Colts from being contenders.
    Especially when you consider that the Colts signed Peyton to this contract just last season, while Peyton was coming off of atleast 2 neck surgeries, and they had to know that he was maybe going to need more. They did know he didn't take the suggested route, and was trying to get by on less evasive procedures, so even if it wasn't a sure thing, they still knew there were some serious issues going on.

That's what makes me so unhappy with the situation.

I understand it's the nature of the NFL to sign guys and then cut them when it's convenient for the team, but come on. Don't sign the guy to such a large contract, while he's dealing with injury issues, and then cut him because of the contract and injury issues.

It's stupid.

Bill Polian took away Peyton's chance at a perfect season(thats when I stopped being a hardcore Colts Fan), and now Jim Irsay took away his chance to retire a Colt. All Peyton ever did was win win win, and gave Irsay a new stadium. The least he could've done was make Peyton a Colt for life and rebuild the smart way like the Packers did. They missed a golden opportunity here. He could have had a real retirement Ceremony ala Reggie.

Robert Irsay's legacy in large part was defined by the move from Baltimore to Indianapolis.

Jim Irsay's legacy in large part will be defined by how this plays out. No one will ever be able to take away the Super Bowl ring, Lucas Oil Stadium, or the brilliant marketing that the Colts have done around Indiana over the past decade. But for better or worse, one of the first things that will come to mind when people think of Irsay is that he is the owner who cut Manning.

I can't believe the last image of Manning the Colt is him throwing his hands up in disgust over that poorly timed time out.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    All Peyton ever did was win win win,
    Peyton's a first ballot HOF guy, will be the greatest Colt ever, and will be mentioned in that rarified air of being the greatest NFL QB ever. But.... while the complete chapter has not been finished Peyton still only has one win in a Super Bowl.... so there has been lose, lose, lose as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Especially when you consider that the Colts signed Peyton to this contract just last season, while Peyton was coming off of atleast 2 neck surgeries, and they had to know that he was maybe going to need more.
    I think RWB's point answers this...
    Irsay thought Polian was doing his job. There were plenty of fans and pundits questioning Polian and his job but Polian dismissed the criticism and got some cred doing so because some considered him to be a genius... These "non football people" shouldn't be taken seriously.

Well, this season showed those non-football people had a point and the excuses wore thin.

Had this team had a defense that could stop someone, a special teams group that could play solidly and be a plus to the field position game, a coach with some ability to gameplan and adjust, and a decent backup QB who could at least manage a game and keep the team in a position to win if the defense wouldn't keep giving yards away.... then maybe the circumstances that were referred to in the press conference don't ever happen.

Of course it doesn't matter who the coach is if he isn't given the personnel he needs.

These problems weren't just a perfect storm that hit in the 2011-2012 season at the same time Manning's neck issue flared to the point of major surgery. These problems were here throughout the Polian era. We were always one hit on Manning from going from contenders to pretenders, challenging for 0-16.

------

-John Wooden

Bill Polian wasn't the guy going around last summer saying that he'll pay Peyton whatever he wants. Irsay did. As much as I detest the job that Polian did, Irsay has plenty of dirt on his hands, and we don't need to brush it off for him.

EDIT:
    "Signing Peyton was a top priority for this organization and we are thrilled that the deal is complete," Irsay said in a statement released by the team Saturday. "We feel that it is a salary cap friendly deal and it allows us more flexibility."
    And then there's the fact that Peyton turned down less money, because it was better for the Colts.

"While I appreciate Jim Irsay offering to make me the highest-paid player," Manning told The Indianapolis Star, "I told him I'd rather he save that money and keep whoever it is ... (running back) Joe Addai, (left tackle) Charlie Johnson ... whoever that may be. I'm willing to take less than they've offered if they are going to take that money to keep players we need to keep and go get other players. All I want is for them to have the cap and the cash to keep the players they want to keep and to sign other players."
    "It's a credit 2 Peyton;he put Coltfans,teammates, Ind. n winning ahead of all else," Irsay wrote on Twitter.
    And they knew that his neck had major question marks.

During his meeting with Irsay and Polian, Manning also acknowledged uncertainty about his specific return to normal football activity as he rehabilitates from the surgery to remove a portion of a bulging disk that was causing nerve malfunctions and pain.

Manning's goal is to be ready for the Colts' regular-season opener as he enters the season with the NFL's longest active playing regular-season starting streak of 208 games.

Irsay originally said doctors expected Manning's rehab to take six to eight weeks; however, sources say Manning still has "quite a ways to go" to be ready for a full practice regimen, let alone play in a preseason game.

"There is every medical indication that he is progressing steadily," team neurosurgeon Dr. Hank Feuer said in a statement. "While he looks fine, he still has some rehabilitation to go. Recovery from disc surgery is unpredictable and it is not a medical concern that he is not ready at this time."

One source said Manning has been rehabbing diligently but getting his nerves to regenerate completely, as well as strengthening his neck, shoulder and arm, is a process that doesn't always satisfy his lack of patience for healing.

Colts coach Jim Caldwell expressed confidence Friday when he was asked how he expected Manning to approach the uncertainty of his injury.

"Like a professional, like he always does, in a first-class manner, work harder than any man on the planet to get himself ready faster than anybody, (but) he's not ready right now," Caldwell said. "Nobody works any harder, nobody is more diligent, more dedicated and he certainly has great faith in our staff that works with him here and at some point in time he'll be ready to go and when that is, we'll turn him loose."
    Behind the scenes, for more than a year, Polian has been preaching Manning's next deal as a "legacy contract" that would enable them to build the team around the quarterback with more cash and salary-cap space, and give Manning an opportunity to build his legacy with another Super Bowl ring or two.

Manning said he never has had to be convinced that being flexible with his salary was the right thing to do for the team.

Condon was unavailable for comment, but sources say the renowned agent was prepared to justify a salary that exceeded the $20 million average mark because of Manning's value to the team, whose success arguably allowed the Colts to remain in Indianapolis with new Lucas Oil Stadium, a facility constructed with substantial public funding. Indianapolis also will be the host city of its first Super Bowl in February.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/68...0-million-deal

Manning not only treated us right outside of football, he was always willing to sacrifice for the good of the Colts franchise. Good to know that all his sacrifice was met with sacrifice.

I know it's business, but it still pisses me off. If there was ever going to be an exception, this is it.
    Last edited by Since86; 03-08-2012 at 09:51 AM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I think something could have been worked out with Peyton had we actually shown the guy we wanted him back. Instead, Irsay calls Manning a "politician" and engages in an embarrassing spat with him during Super Bowl week when the entire national media was focused on Indianapolis. It seems like all Irsay was focused on was convincing Manning that the "circumstances" here were not ideal for Manning staying.

Manning knows that 28 million dollar bonus was a lot to pay. I think he would have been open to negotiating had Irsay shown he really wanted him back here. But he never really did and that was the most frustrating thing about this.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-08-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Bill Polian wasn't the guy going around last summer saying that he'll pay Peyton whatever he wants. Irsay did. As much as I detest the job that Polian did, Irsay has plenty of dirt on his hands, and we don't need to brush it off for him.
    and it was reported on ESPN yesterday that Irsay wanted to give him 5 years with no opt out but Polian made him put the opt out in the deal. Now Polian works for ESPN so I dont know how true it is but I could see that happening.

EDIT: It was best for both to part ways and they both relized that. PM didnt want to play with a joke of a cast to end his career. His OL could get him killed and not to mention a terrible defense. PM should go to a good team so he has a chance to win a ring not end his career with the Colts when they would be lucky to make the playoffs.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-08-2012 at 09:52 AM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    and it was reported on ESPN yesterday that Irsay wanted to give him 5 years with no opt out but Polian made him put the opt out in the deal. Now Polian works for ESPN so I dont know how true it is but I could see that happening.

Mort said that and I'm inclined to think it's true because Mort has always been pretty in-tune with Colts insider info. He is very tight with Polian.

I also want to add this:
    THIS should've been the season we loaded loaded up for. This should've been one of the Colts' best teams during the Manning era. The SB was at Lucas and the Colts were in their championship window. TPTB should've pulled out all the stops to make sure the Colts were in the best shape possible. We should've had one of the better supporting casts for the Manning era. We should've had a capable backup QB in case Manning went down for a few games so that we could remain in the playoff hunt when he returned.

It's not that we shouldn't have done that stuff every season, but this season especially... the team should've been shored up in every practical way.

We should be bemoaning what a good team we had this season and what a shame it was Peyton wasn't under center to take advantage of it.

Take away Manning and it became clear what a woeful job Polian was doing. Not only that, but it showed that the critics of Polian were right all along IMHO. And it's my belief that's why the Polians were shown the door as quickly as they were following the season. You can't have one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game and then fail to address team weaknesses year after year and keep your job.... which is what a Manningless Colts team showed. A more in tune owner probably would've addressed this much sooner in Manning's career... But Irsay trusted Polian.

------

-John Wooden

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

RWB