Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 120

Thread: Peyton Manning press conference :(

  1. #26
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,614

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    I don't even necessarily like watching football, but I almost shed a tear. We've had two of the best pro's in the world in Reggie and Petyon.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    AM I the only one who thinks they could have kept him and still won the AFC South? Same cast of characters won 12 games with Manning, and 2 with out. The team did not turn over that much between the 2 years.

    I find this pretty ridiculous that they couldn't have kept him and drafted Luck. Salarcy Cap excuse is BS. Irsay just doesn't want to pay him anymore money.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  4. #28
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    Very sad to see the end of a glorious era.

    Peyton's one of the better guys in the NFL and I wish him well.

  5. #29

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    AM I the only one who thinks they could have kept him and still won the AFC South? Same cast of characters won 12 games with Manning, and 2 with out. The team did not turn over that much between the 2 years.

    I find this pretty ridiculous that they couldn't have kept him and drafted Luck. Salarcy Cap excuse is BS. Irsay just doesn't want to pay him anymore money.
    ITs not going to be the same cast of characters and Manning knows that which is why they are parting ways.

    Last year the Colts were 8 million over the cap and they have guys like Garcon, Mathis, Wayne asking for big money and possibly Saturday retiring.

  6. #30
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ITs not going to be the same cast of characters and Manning knows that which is why they are parting ways.

    Last year the Colts were 8 million over the cap and they have guys like Garcon, Mathis, Wayne asking for big money and possibly Saturday retiring.
    LOL you think any of those guys are in a position to ask for big money from the Colts after playing like crap for a season with out Manning?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  7. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    AM I the only one who thinks they could have kept him and still won the AFC South? Same cast of characters won 12 games with Manning, and 2 with out. The team did not turn over that much between the 2 years.

    I find this pretty ridiculous that they couldn't have kept him and drafted Luck. Salarcy Cap excuse is BS. Irsay just doesn't want to pay him anymore money.
    I am in your corner but I do not believe Luck would have come to the Colts if Peyton was still there. It wouldn't have been a good career move. He would have gotten almost no reps in practice and he would never have seen the field. I know you are right if you trade the rights to Luck for a boat load of draft picks. Now, they will just suck for many years, Luck will probably get KO'd and be out for the season at some point every years....

  8. #32
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,292

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now, they will just suck for many years, Luck will probably get KO'd and be out for the season at some point every years....
    You've had some really awesome lines in your time here but this one is easily the greatest.

    Bravo OlBlu. You're the best.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  9. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,856
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL you think any of those guys are in a position to ask for big money from the Colts after playing like crap for a season with out Manning?
    You have to learn about the cap dude. It isn't realistic to have 2 QBs making 51m next season I don't even know how they would make it work. They would literally not be able to sign their draft picks let alone sign Garcon and the others to a deal that is competitive with what they can get in free agency.

    In all honesty if I am PM I dont want to come back to the Colts the OL is awful and the defense is even worse they would be lucky to win 8 games.

    also you dont pay a guy if you have no clue if he will ever be the same. I don't blame PM for not taking less I would of done the same. He is still going to get mad $$ in the open market to a team that can afford him.

    The Texans IMO would be the best fit but the cap situation there is tricky. But if I was the Texans GM I would do whatever I can to get PM he would make that team a SB team IMO.

    If there was no salary cap the Colts could do it but in a cap era there is no way they can.

    The team if they wanted to keep PM and Luck would be no namers at every position and Manning would likely get injured from how much he would get hit. I dont see how you keep both it isnt even possible.

  10. #34

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    I cried. Couldn't help it.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  11. #35

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    i cried.... MISS U PEYTON!

  12. #36

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL you think any of those guys are in a position to ask for big money from the Colts after playing like crap for a season with out Manning?
    Mathis and Garcon didn't play like crap. The team as a whole played like crap but the FA's this year did well enough for the money they are asking and I'll bet you many teams would be lined up to offer Wayne, Garcon and Mathis more money that we could give all 3 combined.

    Manning gets it which is why he is leaving.

  13. #37
    Member swifty1812's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hartford City
    Posts
    24
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    Im fairly certain if we would have kept Manning that would have left us at around $20 million in cap space after rookie contracts to fill 20+ roster spots.

    Which would have meant letting Wayne/Garcon, Saturday, Diem, and all of our other FAs basically walk or take Minimum Deals. Which wouldn't have happened.

    Add in the fact that if you give Manning the $28 Million and say he tries to play next year and for some reason can't and has to the next year. If I understand the cap correctly he would have cost us $39 million in Dead cap space the next season. When you have a cap that is sitting at roughly 120 million, 39 million extrememly cripples the team.

    Peyton wants to win, we need to seriously re-tool and fix some bad contract situations. I hate it as much as the next guy, but if just didn't make since for the Colts or Manning to stay.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swifty1812 For This Useful Post:


  15. #38

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    gosh damn have we had some great players/role models in indiana the past 2 1/2 decades... first reggie and now peyton..... we were very blessed and all those fun time...but damn when its over it sure is depressing

  16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:


  17. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,316

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    Bottom line for me..... sad day.... good decision Mr. Irsay.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  19. #40
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    Quote Originally Posted by swifty1812 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im fairly certain if we would have kept Manning that would have left us at around $20 million in cap space after rookie contracts to fill 20+ roster spots.

    Which would have meant letting Wayne/Garcon, Saturday, Diem, and all of our other FAs basically walk or take Minimum Deals. Which wouldn't have happened.

    Add in the fact that if you give Manning the $28 Million and say he tries to play next year and for some reason can't and has to the next year. If I understand the cap correctly he would have cost us $39 million in Dead cap space the next season. When you have a cap that is sitting at roughly 120 million, 39 million extrememly cripples the team.

    Peyton wants to win, we need to seriously re-tool and fix some bad contract situations. I hate it as much as the next guy, but if just didn't make since for the Colts or Manning to stay.
    Well if what you say about Manning and Luck is true then they could have kept manning and traded the #1 pick for a bunch of draft picks to re-tool with. They could have drafted the future QB who could sit behind Manning in later rounds. Never a good idea to let go of a proven HOF QB for unproven talent.

    Would any of you really say that is a bad decision if Manning is cleared to play?
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  20. #41
    Member swifty1812's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hartford City
    Posts
    24
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well if what you say about Manning and Luck is true then they could have kept manning and traded the #1 pick for a bunch of draft picks to re-tool with. They could have drafted the future QB who could sit behind Manning in later rounds. Never a good idea to let go of a proven HOF QB for unproven talent.

    Would any of you really say that is a bad decision if Manning is cleared to play?
    That would have been my choice. but if we were unable to re-sign our own FAs then that would have meant Peyton would be throwing to Austin Collie, Blair White and some rookies. Also if Dallas would go down with Injury we would only have the TE of Brody Eldridge.

    The fact that we have a completly new front office and coaching staff, I don't think Manning found that to be the best situation for himself to be in.

  21. #42
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,614

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    gosh damn have we had some great players/role models in indiana the past 2 1/2 decades... first reggie and now peyton..... we were very blessed and all those fun time...but damn when its over it sure is depressing
    It's gonna be interesting to see what impact Paul George and Andrew Luck have on this city when their careers are all said and done since they are believed to be the future of their respective teams.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:


  23. #43
    Hoosier for Life CreekShow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Muncie
    Age
    27
    Posts
    475

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    : (
    I Bleed Blue

  24. #44
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,412

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    Quote Originally Posted by swifty1812 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would have been my choice. but if we were unable to re-sign our own FAs then that would have meant Peyton would be throwing to Austin Collie, Blair White and some rookies. Also if Dallas would go down with Injury we would only have the TE of Brody Eldridge.
    Sure some of the guys would probably not be back, but that happens every year. They just needed to shore up some spots on the O-line, a receiver, and a new TE.

    Quote Originally Posted by swifty1812 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The fact that we have a completly new front office and coaching staff, I don't think Manning found that to be the best situation for himself to be in.
    You think that would be an issue? You think the new GM and Coaching staff woudn't love building a team around getting Peyton a SB ring in the next 3-4 years? Especially when they would have been armed with a bunch of extra draft picks? I don't think either side would view that has a bad situation.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  25. #45
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,628

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure some of the guys would probably not be back, but that happens every year. They just needed to shore up some spots on the O-line, a receiver, and a new TE.



    You think that would be an issue? You think the new GM and Coaching staff wouldn't love building a team around getting Peyton a SB ring in the next 3-4 years? Especially when they would have been armed with a bunch of extra draft picks? I don't think either side would view that has a bad situation.
    I think the problem is that they doubt Peyton can play another 3-4 years. I have the same doubts myself. He will never have full range of motion in his neck again - that's a fact with the type of surgery he's had - and it could lead to other pain issues.

    Also with that 28 million dollar cap hit they couldn't go and add pieces to get the Colts back in Super Bowl contention. Jeff Saturday is a FA nearing the end of his career, Mathis, Garcon, and Wayne are free agents. The team has an entire new coaching staff and I'm sure the defense and offense will be totally redesigned. Add the #1 overall pick and the option to draft Andrew Luck and this equals total rebuilding mode.

    Peyton is the greatest QB of All-Time IMO. Today's press conference and the way he handled himself with graciousness has just cemented that belief in my mind. Thanks for everything you've done Peyton and I wish you the best!

    With that said... I've been a Colts fan since 1987, before Peyton and I'll be a Colts fan after Peyton. GO COLTS!

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


  27. #46

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    End of an era and thank you Peyton

    Especially for not hosting a Decision Special(although I wouldn't put it past ESPN to get him to do one)

    That being said I hope the Colts fans rally around Luck next season and be patient with him because its not going to be an automatic transition anytime soon.

  28. #47

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    Good enough place as any to put this ...............

    Just saw on FOX59 that there's a billboard on the Northwest side of town that says 'THANKS #18'.

    I wonder who had the foresight to design it, order it, schedule installation for TODAY, AFTERNOON. Coincidence - I think not.

  29. #48
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    That was heartbreaking.

    What a class act. Peyton will be greatly missed.

  30. #49
    Member Swingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    726

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good enough place as any to put this ...............

    Just saw on FOX59 that there's a billboard on the Northwest side of town that says 'THANKS #18'.

    I wonder who had the foresight to design it, order it, schedule installation for TODAY, AFTERNOON. Coincidence - I think not.
    They probably had it designed and ready to go with standing orders for it to be put up as soon as Manning left the team.

  31. #50
    Hoosier for Life CreekShow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Muncie
    Age
    27
    Posts
    475

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Peyton Manning press conference :(

    First thing is first, Thank You Peyton for the best Football I have ever seen, and most likely will see. Its been a pleasure cheering you on.

    After saying that, ive grown up a Colts fan and there is no way I will ever root for another team, Im too proud to be from Indiana. Thats not saying I agree with the decision, or wont support Manning regardless of where he goes until he retires. Ill even go as far as to say that I hope the 1st time PM gets a chance to play Indy, I hope he spanks them. Just to show how bad of a decision this was. Im stubborn and I dont care how it sounds but the first time I hope Peyton shows out. From the way it sounds Peyton was up to coming back but Irsay wasnt having it.

    I will always be a Colts fan. No matter what happens, and ill admit I wasnt sure how id handle PM getting cut. I just cant cheer for any other team. Good thing about being stubborn I guess. I just hope Gringson can do a WAY better job than the Polians @ building a team around Luck. I know its not fair but bc of the way that the situation was handled, I have a pretty high standard for Luck. I realize its a rebuilding process, but Luck better show some signs that he was worth the heart ache.

    Oh and Irsay has shown me he is worried about money more than anything else (just my opinion, dont crucify me). Lost a lot of respect for him in all honesty.

    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also with that 28 million dollar cap hit they couldn't go and add pieces to get the Colts back in Super Bowl contention. Jeff Saturday is a FA nearing the end of his career, Mathis, Garcon, and Wayne are free agents.
    Im pretty sure they only save 6.6 million in salary cap by releasing Manning
    Last edited by CreekShow; 03-07-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    I Bleed Blue

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •