Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 26667273747576
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 1900

Thread: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm all for upgrading the backup 5, but some of you act like Lou is a "emergencies only" kind of guy at that spot. He's really a serviceable backup at that spot. Dude doesn't have the height, but he has the toughness, strength, leaping ability, and hops to man the position fairly well. We're fine.
    I'm not that worried about Lou and he has stepped up to mitigate the issue, but we still have problems with Roy's consistancy, Tyler's inability to play "big/vertical", and Foster's health.

It's not been that long since the Bulls and Hawks destroyed us on the boards.

Frontline scoring is less need than another bench scorer/shooter. I totally agree with that and do think Barbosa helps that perfectly. I'm very happy about that.

But I'm more worried about the playoff pace grind when rebounds and interior physical toughness comes more into play, and in that way I think the team is very vulnerable.

Danny, Paul, and George can all play 40 minutes per playoff game, so wing scoring/bench scoring becomes a much smaller factor.

My guess on the Ray Allen thing is that Bird offered Tyler without a pick with this in mind...
    Allen for Tyler
    2nd for Kaman

Virtually Kanman replaces Tyler (upgrade) and Allen replaces 2nd round pick (upgrade). When Ainge said no and/or when NOH were tough about Kaman then you go to plan B(arbosa).

I really doubt NOH were the problem though, they took a loss in not getting the deal done and likely would have been a lot more receptive around 2:55 pm.

I think Larry just prioritized bench shooting first and decided that had to happen no matter what, so when his Tyler for Ray option fell apart he was forced to use cap space/2nd round to get Barbosa and punt on getting Kaman.

My speculation but with the Tyler rumor it makes a lot of sense to me.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    There is a big "if healthy" the guy is hurt all the time.
    He just needs to be healthy between now and May.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I think that Turiaf's ability to celebrate in style makes him a must for the Pacers, especially if we play the Bulls...

If he flexes after somebody else hitting a lay up, imagine what will happen when PG does a windmill... It'll blow Noah's weak stuff out of the water.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I'm not that worried about Lou and he has stepped up to mitigate the issue, but we still have problems with Roy's consistancy, Tyler's inability to play "big/vertical", and Foster's health.

Frontline scoring is less need than another bench scorer/shooter. I totally agree with that and do think Barbosa helps that perfectly. I'm very happy about that.

But I'm more worried about the playoff pace grind when rebounds and interior physical toughness comes more into play, and in that way I think the team is very vulnerable.

Danny, Paul, and George can all play 40 minutes per playoff game, so wing scoring/bench scoring becomes a much smaller factor.

My guess on the Ray Allen thing is that Bird offered Tyler without a pick with this in mind...
    Allen for Tyler
    2nd for Kaman

Virtually Kanman replaces Tyler (upgrade) and Allen replaces 2nd round pick (upgrade). When Ainge said no and/or when NOH were tough about Kaman then you go to plan B(arbosa).

I really doubt NOH were the problem though, they took a loss in not getting the deal done and likely would have been a lot more receptive around 2:55 pm.

I think Larry just prioritized bench shooting first and decided that had to happen no matter what, so when his Tyler for Ray option fell apart he was forced to use cap space/2nd round to get Barbosa and punt on getting Kaman.

Then, I guess, you can believe what you want to believe...

Sports Logo

What Tyler rumor?

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I don't. There's a reason he hasn't stayed with either the Nets or Rockets for very long, and it's obviously not because of his talent.
    haha I know. Its also the talent that draws me in!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    I think that Turiaf's ability to celebrate in style makes him a must for the Pacers, especially if we play the Bulls...

If he flexes after somebody else hitting a lay up, imagine what will happen when PG does a windmill... It'll blow Noah's weak stuff out of the water.
    Turiaf is actually a really solid Locker room and "root from the bench" guy like Inferno is. He's a veteran that has playoff experience, does nothing other than do the dirty work that no one else does and still has enough gas in tank to give us the depth that we need to make it to May. The way I look at him is that he's a shotblocking version of Foster. I'd play him ahead of Pendegraph any day.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

If the real problem is Roy and Tyler, then you're better off replacing them rather than finding an additional piece IMO.

Well, they could in theory, but I'd be shocked if that's what Vogel does. I think he'll continue to use our depth/bench because that's our best answer to teams with superior talent; our bench beating their bench.

Allen for Tyler
    2nd for Kaman
    I'm thinking less 2nd for Kaman (since that never became a real option) and more that Pendergraph would just replace Tyler.

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    Rockets waive Terrence Williams.
    Retweeted by Marc J. Spears

I want him.
    Why, Pacers just got Barbosa? What is T'Will going to do other than sit behind the bench in a suit and draw a paycheck for doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Why, Pacers just got Barbosa? What is T'Will going to do other than sit behind the bench in a suit and draw a paycheck for doing it?
    I know he's not "needed," but I just think about backup SF position and I often get worried when Dahntay gets extended time in a game. That's all.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Allen for Tyler
    2nd for Kaman
    Wouldn't have worked, we didn't have cap space for both Kaman and Allen. Would have been nice though

If the real problem is Roy and Tyler, then you're better off replacing them rather than finding an additional piece IMO.
    True. But still I kinda agree with Seth, if you can't upgrade your core pieces getting someone like Kaman is a useful (if temporary) fix. Just as getting Barbosa (a better scorer) is a short term fix for our offense.

Banned

Yeah we didn't have enough cap space to get Kaman/Allen, and if Larry is againts giving away a 1st round pick for a rental, I'm pretty sure he is againts giving away a player in Tyler that's worth more than a late 1st round pick.

edit - that's correct, the Allen and Kaman for Tyler/pick can't be true due to salary limits

Unless Allen was ultimately a facilitator in a deal that brought back a cheaper SG option instead.

So I won't believe what I wanted to believe. Sheesh, it's just speculation after all.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 03-16-2012 at 03:34 PM.

BTW, as the PD#1 TWill fan I have to say no. Talent = great. Solid defender, solid rebounder, brilliant passer, sub-par shooter.

But clearly at this point he's also a head case. He's had great moments and still gets benched which I take to be a confirmation of the behavior issues/rumors.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I'm not saying they are a problem, I'm saying they aren't a complete solution.

When Roy is rolling or Tyler is making shots or hustle plays then they are enough. If Jeff is playing 20 mpg then you don't have a toughness/rebounding hole at all.

Kaman is for when that's NOT true, and is an upgrade in talent in general that long term you couldn't afford (not at 14m at least).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Just as getting Barbosa (a better scorer) is a short term fix for our offense.
    Are we certain that Barbosa is merely viewed by TPTB as being a rental? Is it possible that he might have also been acquired to leverage Hill signing for less money than what he was rumored to be seeking (about 7M)?

And, if Hill signed a much more reasonable contract and Barbosa were also willing to sign a reasonable contract, would it not then make sense to keep both?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    Barbosa, Amundson, and Diaw would be Former Suns Central.
    I always loved the Suns so this could be good

Turiaf would be a good pick-up. He is a warrior. Being able to play in the NBA after an open-heart injury is no small feat.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post

Here's your answer

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Are we certain that Barbosa is merely viewed by TPTB as being a rental? Is it possible that he might have also been acquired to leverage Hill signing for less money than what he was rumored to be seeking (about 7M)?

And, if Hill signed a much more reasonable contract and Barbosa were also willing to sign a reasonable contract, would it not then make sense to keep both?
    Or he's insurance in case Hill doesn't re-sign.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post

I understand what you mean, but I'm not sure I agree.

I view George Hill as a core piece going forwards, because of age and fit; Barbosa on the other hand is probably expendable, being older and with a more limited skillset. So while Barbosa could be some kind of fallback plan, I don't think of him as a viable replacement for Hill, should we lose him in FA. So to me the decisions on Hill and Barbosa are probably independent, other than that they're both limited by the available pot of money.

I could be wrong in how differently I value them though...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If it's between signing Hill for around $7M or Barbosa for around $4M, I'm definitely going with Barbosa. But I'd love to keep them both.

Any thoughts of the Pacers getting a reliable three point shooter in Jason Kapono?

LINK: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...e_Jason_Kapono

Cavaliers Waive Jason Kapono
    Mar 17, 2012 11:45 AM EDT

Jason Kapono will be waived by the Cavaliers.
    Kapono was acquired in a deadline trade with the Lakers.
    ----------------------------------------------------

"All records are made to be broken," Miller said. "I had a conversation with Ray earlier tonight and he was like, 'When I was a rookie and I came to Market Square Arena and I saw you for 3 to 3 1/2 hours before (the game) shooting, that's how I wanted to patent my game.' "

Quote Originally Posted by PacersOne View Post
    Any thoughts of the Pacers getting a reliable three point shooter in Jason Kapono?

Kapono can ball, he is just god awful defensively...I would take a minimum on him if that's all he would cost for the rest of the year...

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I understand what you mean, but I'm not sure I agree.

I view George Hill as a core piece going forwards, because of age and fit; Barbosa on the other hand is probably expendable, being older and with a more limited skillset. So while Barbosa could be some kind of fallback plan, I don't think of him as a viable replacement for Hill, should we lose him in FA. So to me the decisions on Hill and Barbosa are probably independent, other than that they're both limited by the available pot of money.

I could be wrong in how differently I value them though...
    I do agree with what you have stated; I also think that Hill is perceived as a core piece, and with his superior defensive abilities and ability to play without the ball is a much better fit.

Like everyone else, I haven't seen enough of Barbosa with the Pacers yet, but I've always liked his game. He was always a player that seemed to give us fits, anyway. Personally, if he proves to fit very well with the second unit, I would find myself holding out hope that we could somehow re-sign both players for maybe 8M total. That would be a lot of depth for the dollars. Optimistic yes, but one could always hope.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PacersOne View Post

Always need a shooter!
    Could play some SF in a offense/defense swap w/ D.Jones on the 2nd unit, end of the quarter, spread the floor role. IMO we dont have enough shooters to spread the floor to free it up for Roy down low or to create lanes for Hill & Barbosa to slash thru. Plus he has been on playoff teams & can hit shots under pressure. Just say'n...
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)