Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 26667273747576
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 1900

Thread: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

  1. #1876
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm all for upgrading the backup 5, but some of you act like Lou is a "emergencies only" kind of guy at that spot. He's really a serviceable backup at that spot. Dude doesn't have the height, but he has the toughness, strength, leaping ability, and hops to man the position fairly well. We're fine.
    I'm not that worried about Lou and he has stepped up to mitigate the issue, but we still have problems with Roy's consistancy, Tyler's inability to play "big/vertical", and Foster's health.

    It's not been that long since the Bulls and Hawks destroyed us on the boards.


    Frontline scoring is less need than another bench scorer/shooter. I totally agree with that and do think Barbosa helps that perfectly. I'm very happy about that.

    But I'm more worried about the playoff pace grind when rebounds and interior physical toughness comes more into play, and in that way I think the team is very vulnerable.

    Danny, Paul, and George can all play 40 minutes per playoff game, so wing scoring/bench scoring becomes a much smaller factor.




    My guess on the Ray Allen thing is that Bird offered Tyler without a pick with this in mind...
    Allen for Tyler
    2nd for Kaman

    Virtually Kanman replaces Tyler (upgrade) and Allen replaces 2nd round pick (upgrade). When Ainge said no and/or when NOH were tough about Kaman then you go to plan B(arbosa).

    I really doubt NOH were the problem though, they took a loss in not getting the deal done and likely would have been a lot more receptive around 2:55 pm.

    I think Larry just prioritized bench shooting first and decided that had to happen no matter what, so when his Tyler for Ray option fell apart he was forced to use cap space/2nd round to get Barbosa and punt on getting Kaman.

    My speculation but with the Tyler rumor it makes a lot of sense to me.

  2. #1877
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,631

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is a big "if healthy" the guy is hurt all the time.
    He just needs to be healthy between now and May.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  3. #1878
    Member Pingu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,245

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    I think that Turiaf's ability to celebrate in style makes him a must for the Pacers, especially if we play the Bulls...



    If he flexes after somebody else hitting a lay up, imagine what will happen when PG does a windmill... It'll blow Noah's weak stuff out of the water.

  4. #1879
    Born ready? TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not that worried about Lou and he has stepped up to mitigate the issue, but we still have problems with Roy's consistancy, Tyler's inability to play "big/vertical", and Foster's health.

    It's not been that long since the Bulls and Hawks destroyed us on the boards.


    Frontline scoring is less need than another bench scorer/shooter. I totally agree with that and do think Barbosa helps that perfectly. I'm very happy about that.

    But I'm more worried about the playoff pace grind when rebounds and interior physical toughness comes more into play, and in that way I think the team is very vulnerable.

    Danny, Paul, and George can all play 40 minutes per playoff game, so wing scoring/bench scoring becomes a much smaller factor.




    My guess on the Ray Allen thing is that Bird offered Tyler without a pick with this in mind...
    Allen for Tyler
    2nd for Kaman

    Virtually Kanman replaces Tyler (upgrade) and Allen replaces 2nd round pick (upgrade). When Ainge said no and/or when NOH were tough about Kaman then you go to plan B(arbosa).

    I really doubt NOH were the problem though, they took a loss in not getting the deal done and likely would have been a lot more receptive around 2:55 pm.

    I think Larry just prioritized bench shooting first and decided that had to happen no matter what, so when his Tyler for Ray option fell apart he was forced to use cap space/2nd round to get Barbosa and punt on getting Kaman.

    My speculation but with the Tyler rumor it makes a lot of sense to me.
    Then, I guess, you can believe what you want to believe...

  5. #1880
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,631

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My speculation but with the Tyler rumor it makes a lot of sense to me.
    What Tyler rumor?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  6. #1881
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,750

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't. There's a reason he hasn't stayed with either the Nets or Rockets for very long, and it's obviously not because of his talent.
    haha I know. Its also the talent that draws me in!

  7. #1882
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,631

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that Turiaf's ability to celebrate in style makes him a must for the Pacers, especially if we play the Bulls...



    If he flexes after somebody else hitting a lay up, imagine what will happen when PG does a windmill... It'll blow Noah's weak stuff out of the water.
    Turiaf is actually a really solid Locker room and "root from the bench" guy like Inferno is. He's a veteran that has playoff experience, does nothing other than do the dirty work that no one else does and still has enough gas in tank to give us the depth that we need to make it to May. The way I look at him is that he's a shotblocking version of Foster. I'd play him ahead of Pendegraph any day.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  9. #1883
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not that worried about Lou and he has stepped up to mitigate the issue, but we still have problems with Roy's consistancy, Tyler's inability to play "big/vertical", and Foster's health.

    It's not been that long since the Bulls and Hawks destroyed us on the boards.
    If the real problem is Roy and Tyler, then you're better off replacing them rather than finding an additional piece IMO.


    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Danny, Paul, and George can all play 40 minutes per playoff game, so wing scoring/bench scoring becomes a much smaller factor.
    Well, they could in theory, but I'd be shocked if that's what Vogel does. I think he'll continue to use our depth/bench because that's our best answer to teams with superior talent; our bench beating their bench.

    My guess on the Ray Allen thing is that Bird offered Tyler without a pick with this in mind...
    Allen for Tyler
    2nd for Kaman
    I'm thinking less 2nd for Kaman (since that never became a real option) and more that Pendergraph would just replace Tyler.

  10. #1884

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rockets waive Terrence Williams.
    Retweeted by Marc J. Spears

    I want him.
    Why, Pacers just got Barbosa? What is T'Will going to do other than sit behind the bench in a suit and draw a paycheck for doing it?

  11. #1885
    Member BornReady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    2,750

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why, Pacers just got Barbosa? What is T'Will going to do other than sit behind the bench in a suit and draw a paycheck for doing it?
    I know he's not "needed," but I just think about backup SF position and I often get worried when Dahntay gets extended time in a game. That's all.

  12. #1886
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,266

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My guess on the Ray Allen thing is that Bird offered Tyler without a pick with this in mind...
    Allen for Tyler
    2nd for Kaman
    Wouldn't have worked, we didn't have cap space for both Kaman and Allen. Would have been nice though

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the real problem is Roy and Tyler, then you're better off replacing them rather than finding an additional piece IMO.
    True. But still I kinda agree with Seth, if you can't upgrade your core pieces getting someone like Kaman is a useful (if temporary) fix. Just as getting Barbosa (a better scorer) is a short term fix for our offense.

  13. #1887
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Yeah we didn't have enough cap space to get Kaman/Allen, and if Larry is againts giving away a 1st round pick for a rental, I'm pretty sure he is againts giving away a player in Tyler that's worth more than a late 1st round pick.

  14. #1888
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    edit - that's correct, the Allen and Kaman for Tyler/pick can't be true due to salary limits

    Unless Allen was ultimately a facilitator in a deal that brought back a cheaper SG option instead.

    So I won't believe what I wanted to believe. Sheesh, it's just speculation after all.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 03-16-2012 at 03:34 PM.

  15. #1889
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    BTW, as the PD#1 TWill fan I have to say no. Talent = great. Solid defender, solid rebounder, brilliant passer, sub-par shooter.

    But clearly at this point he's also a head case. He's had great moments and still gets benched which I take to be a confirmation of the behavior issues/rumors.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  17. #1890
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the real problem is Roy and Tyler, then you're better off replacing them rather than finding an additional piece IMO.
    I'm not saying they are a problem, I'm saying they aren't a complete solution.

    When Roy is rolling or Tyler is making shots or hustle plays then they are enough. If Jeff is playing 20 mpg then you don't have a toughness/rebounding hole at all.

    Kaman is for when that's NOT true, and is an upgrade in talent in general that long term you couldn't afford (not at 14m at least).

  18. #1891
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just as getting Barbosa (a better scorer) is a short term fix for our offense.
    Are we certain that Barbosa is merely viewed by TPTB as being a rental? Is it possible that he might have also been acquired to leverage Hill signing for less money than what he was rumored to be seeking (about 7M)?

    And, if Hill signed a much more reasonable contract and Barbosa were also willing to sign a reasonable contract, would it not then make sense to keep both?

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:


  20. #1892
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Barbosa, Amundson, and Diaw would be Former Suns Central.
    I always loved the Suns so this could be good

    Turiaf would be a good pick-up. He is a warrior. Being able to play in the NBA after an open-heart injury is no small feat.

  21. #1893
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he flexes after somebody else hitting a lay up, imagine what will happen when PG does a windmill... It'll blow Noah's weak stuff out of the water.


    Here's your answer

  22. #1894

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are we certain that Barbosa is merely viewed by TPTB as being a rental? Is it possible that he might have also been acquired to leverage Hill signing for less money than what he was rumored to be seeking (about 7M)?

    And, if Hill signed a much more reasonable contract and Barbosa were also willing to sign a reasonable contract, would it not then make sense to keep both?
    Or he's insurance in case Hill doesn't re-sign.

  23. #1895
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,266

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are we certain that Barbosa is merely viewed by TPTB as being a rental? Is it possible that he might have also been acquired to leverage Hill signing for less money than what he was rumored to be seeking (about 7M)?

    And, if Hill signed a much more reasonable contract and Barbosa were also willing to sign a reasonable contract, would it not then make sense to keep both?
    I understand what you mean, but I'm not sure I agree.

    I view George Hill as a core piece going forwards, because of age and fit; Barbosa on the other hand is probably expendable, being older and with a more limited skillset. So while Barbosa could be some kind of fallback plan, I don't think of him as a viable replacement for Hill, should we lose him in FA. So to me the decisions on Hill and Barbosa are probably independent, other than that they're both limited by the available pot of money.

    I could be wrong in how differently I value them though...

  24. #1896
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,568

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    If it's between signing Hill for around $7M or Barbosa for around $4M, I'm definitely going with Barbosa. But I'd love to keep them both.

  25. #1897
    Member PacersOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Any thoughts of the Pacers getting a reliable three point shooter in Jason Kapono?

    LINK: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...e_Jason_Kapono

    Cavaliers Waive Jason Kapono
    Mar 17, 2012 11:45 AM EDT

    Jason Kapono will be waived by the Cavaliers.
    Kapono was acquired in a deadline trade with the Lakers.
    ----------------------------------------------------

    "All records are made to be broken," Miller said. "I had a conversation with Ray earlier tonight and he was like, 'When I was a rookie and I came to Market Square Arena and I saw you for 3 to 3 1/2 hours before (the game) shooting, that's how I wanted to patent my game.' "

  26. #1898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersOne View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any thoughts of the Pacers getting a reliable three point shooter in Jason Kapono?

    LINK: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...e_Jason_Kapono

    Cavaliers Waive Jason Kapono
    Mar 17, 2012 11:45 AM EDT

    Jason Kapono will be waived by the Cavaliers.
    Kapono was acquired in a deadline trade with the Lakers.
    Kapono can ball, he is just god awful defensively...I would take a minimum on him if that's all he would cost for the rest of the year...

  27. #1899
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I understand what you mean, but I'm not sure I agree.

    I view George Hill as a core piece going forwards, because of age and fit; Barbosa on the other hand is probably expendable, being older and with a more limited skillset. So while Barbosa could be some kind of fallback plan, I don't think of him as a viable replacement for Hill, should we lose him in FA. So to me the decisions on Hill and Barbosa are probably independent, other than that they're both limited by the available pot of money.

    I could be wrong in how differently I value them though...
    I do agree with what you have stated; I also think that Hill is perceived as a core piece, and with his superior defensive abilities and ability to play without the ball is a much better fit.

    Like everyone else, I haven't seen enough of Barbosa with the Pacers yet, but I've always liked his game. He was always a player that seemed to give us fits, anyway. Personally, if he proves to fit very well with the second unit, I would find myself holding out hope that we could somehow re-sign both players for maybe 8M total. That would be a lot of depth for the dollars. Optimistic yes, but one could always hope.

  28. #1900
    Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indy's North Side
    Posts
    1,540

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersOne View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any thoughts of the Pacers getting a reliable three point shooter in Jason Kapono?

    LINK: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...e_Jason_Kapono

    Cavaliers Waive Jason Kapono
    Mar 17, 2012 11:45 AM EDT

    Jason Kapono will be waived by the Cavaliers.
    Kapono was acquired in a deadline trade with the Lakers.
    Always need a shooter!
    Could play some SF in a offense/defense swap w/ D.Jones on the 2nd unit, end of the quarter, spread the floor role. IMO we dont have enough shooters to spread the floor to free it up for Roy down low or to create lanes for Hill & Barbosa to slash thru. Plus he has been on playoff teams & can hit shots under pressure. Just say'n...
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •