Page 6 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Trade RUMOURS and NEWS thread March 2012

Top Ten Stars Most Likely To Be Traded

Impact Players Most Likely To Be Moved
    (Ranked from most likely to least likely to be traded)

1. Rajon Rondo, G, Celtics
    I know the Celtics are saying Rondo isn't going anywhere. But there are two problems with that. (1) It doesn't jibe with what a number of NBA GMs are saying based on conversations they've had with Celtics president Danny Ainge. (2) Ainge isn't stupid. He doesn't want to trade Rondo, but Rondo is the best chip he has to play right now.

If Ainge waits and does nothing, the Celtics will be a middling lottery team without much hope next season -- in the same spot where Ainge inherited them a few years ago. He doesn't want to go back there. If he can get two pieces back for Rondo, I think he'll do it. Atlanta, Portland and Indiana are interesting destinations if they are willing to pay.

2. Josh Smith, F, Hawks
    Again, I know what the Hawks are saying. "We're not shopping anyone ... yada, yada, yada." The truth is, Rick Sund has been exploring possible Josh Smith deals for the past few years. If he could get a legit point guard and a credible forward to replace Smith, he'd do it. If the Celtics would offer Rondo, I think they'd have a deal. Ditto if the Suns would offer Steve Nash.

3. Chris Kaman, C, Hornets
    It's no secret that Kaman is on the block. Given that the Hornets really don't want much in return, I'm surprised he hasn't found a home already.

The Warriors, Rockets and Heat have shown a lot of interest. And with Jeff Foster still out in Indy, Kaman could be a great fit with the Pacers as well. He has no long-term future in New Orleans. This one is a no-brainer.

4. Monta Ellis, G, Warriors
    Ellis is a dynamic scorer, but it just isn't working in Golden State and probably never will as long as Ellis and Stephen Curry are in the backcourt together.

The Warriors really need a big man, which makes a deal tough because most GMs aren't willing to trade big for small. But if the Warriors would be willing to take back Amare Stoudemire from the Knicks or if the Hawks were willing to swap Smith for Ellis, I think there's a deal to be had.

5. Pau Gasol, F, Lakers
    Gasol is playing better and so were the Lakers, until this week. That's got to hurt the chances that the Lakers move him for anyone other than Dwight Howard before the deadline. But the Lakers have to be looking at the Celtics and sweating a bit. They don't want to be the team that is on the verge of plummeting into lottery hell next season.

Kobe Bryant won't be playing at this level forever, and neither will Gasol. Gasol can fetch the Lakers some good young assets now. In another year, I'm not sure we'll be able to say the same.

6. Gerald Wallace, F, Blazers
    The Blazers balked a bit at moving Wallace at the start of the season, but they seem more open to it now. Nicolas Batum is their long-term answer at the small forward position, and they aren't really competing for a title.

A few long-term assets might be all that's required to pry Wallace from Portland. I could see the Magic making a big push in this direction.

7. Eric Gordon, G, Hornets
    Gordon was supposed to be the centerpiece of the Hornets' new rebuilding effort, but injuries have kept him out of the lineup for all but two games this season. With Gordon hitting restricted free agency this summer and preferring to play elsewhere, do the Hornets cut their losses and try to make a deal now while they can?

The team has coveted New Orleans native Danny Granger in the past, and the Pacers would love to bring back one of Indy's own as well. It would be a risky move for the Pacers, as Gordon is still several weeks away from being ready to play. But it could be a great move long term.

8. Dwight Howard, C, Magic
    Howard should be atop this list. All signs point to his leaving Orlando this summer if he makes it to unrestricted free agency, where the Nets and Mavs will throw money at him, and the Knicks and Lakers could find ways to get involved, too. Alas, Magic GM Otis Smith thinks he has a shot at keeping Howard and is telling GMs he won't move the All-Star big man before the deadline.

While the offers the Lakers and Nets have put together for Howard won't blow anyone away, they are better than the zero Howard could leave the Magic with this summer.

9. Deron Williams, PG, Nets
    If Dwight Howard makes his way to New Jersey, all is well. The Nets would re-sign both Williams and Howard, and suddenly have the best point guard-center combo in the NBA. But if Howard doesn't end up in New Jersey, the Nets will be in danger of losing Williams for nothing. After all they gave up to get him, that has to keep Billy King up at night.

The problem for the Nets is they are paralyzed until they know what's happening with Howard. If the Magic move him to the Lakers or Bulls, Williams moves to the top of this list. If Howard isn't traded and remains on track to become a free agent, Williams will stay put.

10. Steve Nash, PG, Suns
    The Suns continue to insist they're not trading Nash, which might be true. That's why Nash is at the bottom of the list. They even believe they have a chance at re-signing him this summer, which is a pipe dream.

The Suns are no longer a playoff team and are on the verge of a major rebuilding project. While Nash has publicly supported the Suns, it doesn't make much sense for either party to keep the marriage alive. Nash is still playing like an All-Star and could have a chance at winning a title elsewhere.

At this point, the Suns won't get much for him. His contract expires in a few months, and Nash has made it clear he'll shop the market. But if the Suns lose him for nothing? They would join the Cavs and Raptors as teams that let their fantasies get in the way of reality.
    Bolded the parts most interesting to Pacer fans.

Danny+AJ for Kaman+Gordon+Vasquez or something would be interesting.

Personally, too much risk. At least with Danny you know you're getting a guy that plays almost every game every season, and really stepped up against the Bulls in the playoffs. Gordon doesn't have much playoff experience, and is always hurt. Total gamble.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

I don't see why Rondo made this list, Ainge went out and said last week that they are not trading him......

Banned

Chris Sheridan‏@sheridanhoopsReply

Three #NBA deals that make sense: Kaman to #Pacers, Hinrich to #Lakers, Crawford to #Twolves/#Grizzlies. Video: http://bit.ly/yCAq9v

Mood

The Kaman to Pacers thing seems so obvious that I think I'll actually be a little disappointed if we don't actually make that come true.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see why Rondo made this list, Ainge went out and said last week that they are not trading him......
    That was addressed:
    I know the Celtics are saying Rondo isn't going anywhere. But there are two problems with that. (1) It doesn't jibe with what a number of NBA GMs are saying based on conversations they've had with Celtics president Danny Ainge. (2) Ainge isn't stupid. He doesn't want to trade Rondo, but Rondo is the best chip he has to play right now.

If Ainge waits and does nothing, the Celtics will be a middling lottery team without much hope next season -- in the same spot where Ainge inherited them a few years ago. He doesn't want to go back there.
    From what they say publicly, Rondo isn't available. Yet people involved say eh certainly is. And at this point they'll be lucky to get to the second round of the playoffs, no way they get any farther. Ergo, makes sense to capitalize on his value if you could sucker a team like Indy to give DC+PG+Pick.

Not saying I agree.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Raymond Felton, Jamal Crawford and a few other Blazers have seen their names in the rumor mill and Crawford thinks the speculation could be affecting some of the players.

"I think at the end of the day, we're only human," said Crawford. "So no matter what somebody says, I'm sure it's in the back of their heads. They hear about the rumors and stuff. But we have to be professional and go out and do the best job we can."

Crawford's name has been linked with the Indiana Pacers and Minnesota. Portland could get Luke Ridnour back if Crawford is sent to the Wolves.

The Blazers are now 19-20 after losing at Minnesota on Wednesday and they have six more games on this road trip.
    ---------------------------------------------------

first thing i've heard about us and crawford since his name started coming up in trade rumors.
    I'm a Beast

I love the Kaman trade, BUT wouldn't this trade just for the remainder of this season. We aren't going to sign both Kaman & Hibbert next season. Kaman is a starter and will want starter money, as well as Hibbert. So what you give up now to get him is key. If I had to compare them, I would give Kaman the edge, but Hibbert is younger.

I like Gordon as well, but his injury history makes me say pass, too much history there to give up Danny for him now. I might try to sign him this Summer though. Thoughts?
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorge View Post
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Raymond Felton, Jamal Crawford and a few other Blazers have seen their names in the rumor mill and Crawford thinks the speculation could be affecting some of the players.

"I think at the end of the day, we're only human," said Crawford. "So no matter what somebody says, I'm sure it's in the back of their heads. They hear about the rumors and stuff. But we have to be professional and go out and do the best job we can."

Crawford's name has been linked with the Indiana Pacers and Minnesota. Portland could get Luke Ridnour back if Crawford is sent to the Wolves.

The Blazers are now 19-20 after losing at Minnesota on Wednesday and they have six more games on this road trip.
    ---------------------------------------------------

first thing i've heard about us and crawford since his name started coming up in trade rumors.
    I wanted Crawford this Summer and I would love to have him now. He can score and we need that. He can also play the point, but that's not where I want him ... but it's another option.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

11. The Following User Says Thank You to odeez For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by odeez View Post
    I wanted Crawford this Summer and I would love to have him now. He can score and we need that. He can also play the point, but that's not where I want him ... but it's another option.
    I really don't like having to send a player to portland just to sign him and watch him become a FA again. Could of signed him outright last summer and could sign him outright after this season. If we just send Lance or AJ I guess I could live with that as long as he signs an extension with us.
    I'm a Beast

Banned

Call me crazy but I would not mind getting Boris Diaw, him coming off the bench could be perfect, his ability to move the ball and pass it could help the second unit offense, his is in an expiring contract so there wouldn't be that much of a risk, it would also leave the Pacers open to make other trades.

Yeah I was just looking at his numbers for the year:

7.7ppg 5.6rpg and 4.4apg not bad for a backup, if he can get him for free I think we should go get him.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 03-08-2012 at 01:04 PM.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

this is what Boris Diaw looks like

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    The Kaman to Pacers thing seems so obvious that I think I'll actually be a little disappointed if we don't actually make that come true.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-chat-w...ng-greene-3712

Quote:
    Tony

Do you think that Indy and NO will revisit the Kaman trade before the deadline? Unfortunately Foster is totally broken down physically, Amundson is performing admirably but I think Kaman makes Hansbrough much more effective on the second unit.

Lang Greene

Yes, I think Kaman discussion are open for business from everything Iíve heard. I donítg think Indiana is at the core of those discussions. The chirpring Iíve heard abnout the Pacers recently have all revolved around shooting guard help Ö not another center.

Dont know if true or not, but it seems we might be targeting a SG instead. I wish the Pacers would go all in for a package of Gordon and Kaman
    Sittin on top of the world!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It's bizarre that it hasn't already happened. Think Kaman might have helped the rebounding and post scoring issues of the last 2 games?

Not getting Kaman borders on the Colts skipping Luck and RG3 in the draft. Maybe the price is way out of bounds, but the rumors suggest it isn't.

These are the two possible deals I put into a non-deals thread that I think would make this team flat-out bad ***.

1) DC+1st round pick (23-26th) for Nash

2) Tyler + 2nd round pick for Kaman.

You do not thin the team because you replace your spots 1 for 1 this year. Nash and Kaman are clear upgrades on DC/Tyler. Both teams wouldn't mind getting that return. Saves cash and gets a serviceable bench/cheap starter for teams that are looking for exactly that.

What if they don't resign?
    This is the risk, but look at how light that risk is. First you get all that cap space right back if they don't resign. You go into next summer in better shape than last even. You either make FA bids on guys or you go back into the "we can take your contract" situation where you are with Kaman now. In other words you continue to be a very favorable trade partner.

You've lost 2 bench guys, maybe DC is a borderline starter. You've lost a mid-20s pick which could be a good player, a total bust, or another bench guy. So at worst you need a starting PG (which you didn't have) and 2 bench guys. You have massive cap space, these losses can easily be fixed.

And this resign issue requires these players to make the run they would make with this roster, at their stages of their careers, and decide "nah, I don't want to do that again".

Would Nash/Kaman walk away from money for another 2 years if the team made an solid ECF run at least?

Rondo instead of Nash is better in terms of talent, but comes with a big chemistry risk and likely a higher price tag than just DC+25th pick.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 03-08-2012 at 01:11 PM.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Banned

I don't care how he looks like as long as he can still produce, his numbers for a backup are pretty good, we don't need him to start or to be our Batman, he is a solid bench player that could help guys like Tyler, DJ and Hill with his ability to pass the ball.

Banned

Naptown Seth I don't think you are allowed to talk about trades, I think you need to erase that before they close this thread.

Paul George doesn't go in any trade. He's the team's future All-Star and #1 player. He's bordering on that status already, especially given how many steals/disruptions he creates.

If his offense tightens up (more consistent) then he's an all-star. Trade for Wade or Lebron, okay, and even then you start to get to where Paul's age helps because you can keep him longer. I wouldn't do Paul for Kobe at this point, for example. You are risking too much due to years*potential.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I don't care how he looks like as long as he can still produce, his numbers for a backup are pretty good, we don't need him to start or to be our Batman, he is a solid bench player that could help guys like Tyler, DJ and Hill with his ability to pass the ball.
    I just don't really like the fit. He passes TOO much, seriously, so much that it becomes annoying. If he gets bought out I'd sign him, but I don't want to give up any assets for him or use 9 mil of our capspace.

Call me crazy but I would not mind getting Boris Diaw, him coming off the bench could be perfect, his ability to move the ball and pass it could help the second unit offense, his is in an expiring contract so there wouldn't be that much of a risk, it would also leave the Pacers open to make other trades.
    I completely agree...diaw can also hit an open jumper...something we desperately need on the second group...

Sports Logo

We couldn't trade for Nash and Kaman, not for those packages anyway. Either one of them eliminates our capspace so the other would mean matching money going out.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Asher99 View Post
    I gave his credit on the assists several times already that new career high is no doubt sweet from a center. But the 18-11 in 46 isn't something all that impressive. Tyler's top burn is 31:47 this year he got 15-13 in the game and in the 17 games he's broke the 30 min mark in his career he's at 20.3 and 8.3 and he's only got to or past the 38 min mark once and that game was just 40:16 and it was a 29 point game.
    Okay. Tyler is better than Kaman and would be putting up sick lines if he had enough talent to play big minutes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I just don't really like the fit. He passes TOO much, seriously, so much that it becomes annoying. If he gets bought out I'd sign him, but I don't want to give up any assets for him or use 9 mil of our capspace.
    He passes too much? Good, that's pretty much what we need in the second unit, somebody that can make passes and create for others, we already have a bunch of black holes that won't pass the ball, putting Diaw with that unit would automatically makes them better.

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    Okay. Tyler is better than Kaman and would be putting up sick lines if he had enough talent to play big minutes.
    I hope this was intended to be green

Naptown Seth I don't think you are allowed to talk about trades, I think you need to erase that before they close this thread.
    Well I understand the desire to not have threads turn into "ESPN trade machine" fodder, but we are coming up on the deadline and both players discussed are rumored as possible trades in an article cited in this thread.

Just like
    Danny+AJ for Kaman+Gordon+Vasquez or something would be interesting.
    didn't get a thread-lock.

Not to mention that Hicks could just ask for a post-revision if it's causing problems. Why in the world would he (or other) lock the entire thread?

There's a difference between light trade discussions and posting 20 different scenarios you dreamed up 2 weeks into the season. Or as Pacerized put it
    I agree, we need to be able to discuss legit trade rumors and the players involved. It's different when someone starts posting fantasy trade ideas.
    Excessive, often fantastical trade scenarios started to bog down threads and front page discussions. Thus the shift to it's own area. But 7 days till the deadline going over players in primary discussions and in some cases rumored to be a perfect fit for Indy? That's a regular topic.

If the thread fills up with Danny+Roy+George for Bynum + pick + Harden type of posts, then I can see people asking for the thread to be moved.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

He passes too much? Good, that's pretty much what we need in the second unit, somebody that can make passes and create for others, we already have a bunch of black holes that won't pass the ball, putting Diaw with that unit would automatically makes them better.
    Diaw is a guy who fits into whatever role he needs to...such a good glue guy...I actually kinda like that he put on a little weight, he will battle down low a little better now...

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    We couldn't trade for Nash and Kaman, not for those packages anyway. Either one of them eliminates our capspace so the other would mean matching money going out.
    Yeah, I thought about that after the fact. I wasn't sure if the outgoing money of DC/TH would cover the difference or not.

So I guess if we believe the Crawford rumor than clearly the team would have to be sending players to cover costs if they intended to also go after Kaman. I haven't looked at his salary numbers.

I think Nash would be a huge help, but not only does it appear that PHX is holding up things but nothing suggests the Pacers are even considering that situation. Funny how with Hill off the bench you still need a SG (according to rumor).

Maybe TPTB are doing a misdirect on Kaman front?