Thread: Freeney possibly out too???

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Freeney possibly out too???

http://www.sportsrageous.com/dwight-...lts-03-06-2012

Dwight Freeney out of the Indianapolis Colts?
    By Robert Kirchgassner
    March 6, 2012
    Dwight Freeney and the Indianapolis Colts may soon be going their own separate ways.

Freeney is entering the final season of his six-year, $72 million contract. There is the possibility that he will stay on for less money, but Freeney currently has no agent, which makes negotiations difficult. His last agent, Gary Wichard, died of cancer in 2011. Freeney has not looked for another agent since then.

However, a restructuring of Freeney’s contract may be in order, according to team owner Jim Irsay.

“That’s something that you can consider. You don’t always know if it’s possible with just one year left (on Freeney’s current deal). But, no question about it, when you look where we are with the cap, even if you look at making some significant roster changes to help the situation some, you’re still at a difficult point with the cap,” he said.

Freeney has played with the Colts since the 2002 NFL Draft. In 2007, he helped the Colts win Super Bowl XLI against the Chicago Bears.

“To have me paid among the top players in the league — not just as a defensive players — means a lot of me,” Freeney said when the contract was signed in 2007. “[Colts general manager] Bill Polian is the one who drafted me. I was hand-picked by him. He was going to do the right thing for the organization.”

Mood

Default Re: Freeney possibly out too???

If we are truly going to the 3-4 scheme I think Freeney needs to be traded before his value takes a hit when he has struggles with it. I think it would be the best for both parties. I see Mathis as a guy who can transfer to the 3-4 and it may be a better fit for Hughes to play standing up. If we do go all the way on it I hope they look at Farrior to bring in possibly. Another guy that I worry abour is Brackett. I really like the guy, but he is more built for a 4-3 scheme. Angerer is a beast and I see him adapting well. If we could get a better DT suited for the 3-4 I it might be worth it to offer Freeney up in a trade. I am not sure on Brackett's value right now coming off an injury maybe a higher draft pick where we could get a young defensive player at either the safety or LB spot. I really like our guys, but some are just not suited for the 3-4 and it would be a shame if they went into the season and struggled. We are on the right track but we need to have patience.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Next year, we owe 30 million to two DEs who are on the wrong side of 30. Freeney is by far one of my favorite Colts ever, but I wouldn't be opposed to cutting ties with him considering we likely aren't going anywhere the next couple of seasons.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I said in the Mathis thread that Freeney will have options. The Colts are going to cut him, I'm certain of that. There's no way they keep him at that cap number when he's only gonna play half the defensive snaps in a 3-4 scheme. If they can talk him into less money and a lesser role, which is doubtful, maybe he'll stay. I don't know the Giants cap situation, but if they could somehow get Freeney, he would be a human wrecking ball for them.