Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of Pacers tried to brush off the loss by saying the season series with the Bulls is tied 1-1.

Banned

Default A couple of Pacers tried to brush off the loss by saying the season series with the Bulls is tied 1-1.

I'm not buying that excuse.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...medium=twitter

The Pacers were blown out in the Windy City

1:29 AM, Mar. 06, 2012 | Written by Mike Wells |
    5 Comments

CHICAGO – Beating the Bulls on their homecourt for the second time this season wasn’t going to be easy for the Pacers.

Not with Tom Thibodeau as the coach. Not with Derrick Rose still thinking about how the Pacers “celebrated” after winning at the United Center in January. Not with Joakim Noah having Roy Hibbert’s number.

The Bulls walked off the court at halftime trailing by one. But you didn’t get the sense that they were worried about losing to the Pacers.

Rose had only scored two points in the first half, so you knew he was going to get it going at some point in the second half. And once Rose gets going the rest of his teammates hop on and go along for the ride, too.

The Bulls blew the game open – and sent a very solid message along the way – in the third quarter with two big runs. The first was a 20-4 run. The second was an 11-2 run to end the third quarter with a 19-point lead.

Pacers coach Frank Vogel was very honest when asked if this was an indication of how much more work they have to do before they can be mentioned anywhere near the Bulls and Heat.

“Yeah, I guess so,” Vogel bluntly said about losing to those two teams by a total of 70 points this season.

What Monday and the two losses to Miami have shown is that the Bulls and Heat are clearly the best two teams in the East – and the NBA – and everybody else is miles behind them in the conference trying – and failing – to close the gap.

A couple of Pacers tried to brush off the loss by saying the season series with the Bulls is tied 1-1.

That’s 100 percent true, but that’s a poor way to look at it.

They could get by with that mind frame if the Bulls beat them by four or five points.

But 20 points?

Mentioning the season series was the last thing they should have been talking about after the Bulls worked them over.

Darren Collison played solid defense on Rose in the first half.

But where was Collison’s offensive game?

Collison went scoreless (0-of-6) in 31 minutes. You can’t let Rose rest on the defensive end of the court. Collison has to attack Rose the way he did in the playoffs last season.

Danny Granger never seemed to be in the game. He was 4-of-12 from the field, while Luol Deng scored 20 points. Deng, like Andre Iguodala, LeBron and Carmelo, gives Granger problems offensively. Each player presents different problems to Granger.

Don’t think Noah wasn’t trying to send a message to Hibbert.

Noah, who started celebrating on the court early, grabbed 17 rebounds while also making Hibbert a non-factor on offense. Hibbert only took six shots and scored two points.

The Pacers are easy to defend, especially if you’re as good as the Bulls, if they’re not getting any production in the post.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 03-06-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: A

HATER.

Unfortunately they were hot and got ALL the boards.. We only shot in the 30%'s

...They failed to mention Hibbert was a non factor because of foul trouble, not because Noah was in beast mode and making him look bad.
    Last edited by Ownagedood; 03-06-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: A couple of Pacers tried to brush off the loss by saying the season series with the Bulls is tied 1-1.

Which players, and where are the quotes from them?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A couple of Pacers tried to brush off the loss by saying the season series with the Bulls is tied 1-1.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the right reaction for players to have. What does Wells want the players to do? Tweet pictures of themselves crying?

Yes they played a bad game, but it was one bad game, and they know they can beat the Bulls since they've done it earlier this season. So just put the big loss behind you, and get ready for the next game against the Bulls!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

Mood

We're playing the best team in basketball and people here are ready to blow it up because we're not 2-0 on their home floor...

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

So does this mean that the Pacers will be down -20 to 0 the next time the ball is tossed in the air against the Bulls?

1-1 is exactly the way to look at it, because that's exactly what it is. 1 to 1.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Yeah the series is 1-1. But I don't think the regular season series between teams means much when they meet again in the playoffs. It is a different game in the playoffs.

But the bulls are the better team. They are really, really good, I think the 2nd best team in the NBA behind the Heat. Pacers just aren't as good. A team's won/loss record means a lot

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

It is certainly the way to approach this... With games coming as quickly as are, you have to have a short memory, and brush off the bad games to move onto the next one...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bballpacen For This Useful Post:

I rarely put much stock into season series results anyway. The Bulls actually swept the season series against Miami last year. Then Miami waxed them in the playoffs.

There's Miami and Chicago in the East and then there is everyone else. I think we can at least compete with Chicago in a rematch and could hopefully take it to 6 this time. We would probably get swept against Miami though. They have 3 players who are superior to any single player on our roster.

Like Wilbon said yesterday on PTI, this was a huge game for the Bulls, but just a regular game for the Pacers. The Pacers weren't supposed to win. The Bulls needed it and wanted it more.

Now the field will be even for the next time we square off.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I think it's the only way to look at it in the public eye. Also, Danny did fine for 95% time played vs Deng. Deng was 5 for 13 fg. while Danny was 4-12. That comment in that article makes no sense if one actually watched the game. Danny had as many open looks then Deng did and they basically shot the same. Neither team played offense well do to the level of defense being played. Getting out rebounded 60-32 is what lost the game for the Pacers more then anything else!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

I may be in the minority but I would have rather the team be PISSED for not only losing, but losing LIKE THAT. Yeah the Bulls are one of the best teams in the league, but with as much trash as they were talking before the game, pride has to kick in and you have to want to KILL a team like that.

I agree you shouldn't get too high after a win, nor too low after a loss, but It'd have been nice for someone on the Pacers to pull a D.Rose and say "I can't wait to play this team again"....or something to that extent. There's nothing wrong with competitive fire, or having pride. Things like that, (plus the fact they have more talent) is the reason why the Bulls, Heat, and OKC are the best teams in the league. They play as if they have something to prove, EVERY TIME. And they're PISSED when they lose.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I may be in the minority but I would have rather the team be PISSED for not only losing, but losing LIKE THAT. Yeah the Bulls are one of the best teams in the league, but with as much trash as they were talking before the game, pride has to kick in and you have to want to KILL a team like that.

I agree you shouldn't get too high after a win, nor too low after a loss, but It'd have been nice for someone on the Pacers to pull a D.Rose and say "I can't wait to play this team again"....or something to that extent. There's nothing wrong with competitive fire, or having pride. Things like that, (plus the fact they have more talent) is the reason why the Bulls, Heat, and OKC are the best teams in the league. They play as if they have something to prove, EVERY TIME. And they're PISSED when they lose.
    Lol at all of the CAPS

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I agree you shouldn't get too high after a win, nor too low after a loss, but It'd have been nice for someone on the Pacers to pull a D.Rose and say "I can't wait to play this team again"....or something to that extent.
    How do you know something like that wasn't said? Just because it's not said publically, doesn't mean it's not said privately.

I would much rather them do their talking amongst themselves, rather than running their mouths to the media.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Its the way the games went , not the fact its 1-1. We beat them by Scalabrine missing an open 3 as time expired.

A month or so later they made us look like a scared, confused, shel of ourselves beating us by 20

What bothered me the most is when the run came early in the 3rd quarter (Rose hit his first 3 to put the Bulls up 7) it appeared to me, that there was no sense of urgency and the starters basically gave up and started going one on one

very depressing
    Sittin on top of the world!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Also, Danny did fine for 95% time played vs Deng. Deng was 5 for 13 fg. while Danny was 4-12. That comment in that article makes no sense if one actually watched the game. Danny had as many open looks then Deng did and they basically shot the same.
    That's fine, as far as that goes. However, let's take it a bit further. Deng got to the line for 7 FT's, hitting all of them. Granger shot 2-2 from the stripe. Deng also out-rebounded Granger 6-1. One stinkin' rebound! What is the excuse for Granger's lack of getting to the line and lack of rebounding? Doesn't look so fine to me.

Instead of consoling themselves with the line about the series being 1-1 at this point, the team should be mad as hell at themselves for the way they lost it.

Want to improve? Don't be so accepting of this type of play.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    That's fine, as far as that goes. However, let's take it a bit further. Deng got to the line for 7 FT's, hitting all of them. Granger shot 2-2 from the stripe. Deng also out-rebounded Granger 6-1. One stinkin' rebound! What is the excuse for Granger's lack of getting to the line and lack of rebounding? Doesn't look so fine to me.

Let's be honest, Granger is averaging 4 RPG and 5 FTA. So he didn't live up to his average, but he wasn't that far away from his average either. He didn't have a great game....

Deng is averaging 6.9 RPG and 3.1 FTA....He got more free throws than normal, but just looking purely at stats, you would expect him to get more Rebounds than Danny...

Deng had an average game while Danny struggled....Every player has bad games, but Danny's game wasn't so terrible that anyone should be worrisome....

Granger's shot selection was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post
    Let's be honest, Granger is averaging 4 RPG and 5 FTA. So he didn't live up to his average, but he wasn't that far away from his average either. He didn't have a great game....

Deng is averaging 6.9 RPG and 3.1 FTA....He got more free throws than normal, but just looking purely at stats, you would expect him to get more Rebounds than Danny...

Deng had an average game while Danny struggled....Every player has bad games, but Danny's game wasn't so terrible that anyone should be worrisome....
    Granger's performance was emblematic of his year. He is shooting under 39% from the field. At 30+ games into the season, that is not a slump. It is what can be expected. It is not good enough, in particular if the Pacers have any hope of competing with teams like Chicago.
    Last edited by Tom White; 03-06-2012 at 01:36 PM.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Instead of consoling themselves with the line about the series being 1-1 at this point, the team should be mad as hell at themselves for the way they lost
    Who says they aren't pissed at themselves?

That quote can be made while still being upset with how they played...

I don't see the issue here... The statement is a fact...

Just because our players don't come out making the kneejerk negative statements doesn't mean they don't care that they got abused last night...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    Who says they aren't pissed at themselves?

That quote can be made while still being upset with how they played...

I don't see the issue here... The statement is a fact...

Just because our players don't come out making the kneejerk negative statements doesn't mean they don't care that they got abused last night...
    I understand what you are saying, and yes, what they said is a fact. I would still prefer that instead of using a crutch statement of denial like what was said, that they instead say something like "We stunk up the joint, and we are going to do everything to make sure that doesn't happen again. We had them down at the half, and we let the whole thing go in the third quarter. If we do our jobs we are up 2-0 on them, but we didn't get the job done.".

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

No player was even quoted in the article. You don't know what was said, and what wasn't said.

You're taking a paraphrased quote and running with it.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

J7F

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

I understand what you are saying, and yes, what they said is a fact. I would still prefer that instead of using a crutch statement of denial like what was said, that they instead say something like "We stunk up the joint, and we are going to do everything to make sure that doesn't happen again. We had them down at the half, and we let the whole thing go in the third quarter. If we do our jobs we are up 2-0 on them, but we didn't get the job done.".
    That'd never make it in the paper, especially if it ended with "But at the end of the day, we're still 1-1."

Easier to use inflammatory rhetoric like "brush off" and try to get the fan base mad.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

All this means is the Bulls are still a better team than we are (not a surprise I think), but it doesn't mean it is the end of the world or that we can't beat them in a 7 games series. It just means today they were better, and it shows why they have a better record than we do.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This comment is just as bad as the Rose comments after we beat them. It shows that the loss did mean something. It stung a bit, if you're a true competitor you compete to win. When you don't win it hurts. So if this doesn't hurt or bother you then why speak about it? It did hurt. We're in their head and they are in ours. The same reason why Rose spoke about it. It matters. We have 13 other losses, have not heard a word on those.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv