Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

  1. #1
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,178

    Default CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    By: Matt Moore CBS Sports

    http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssp...48484/35012050

    As the NBA catches its breath after a hurried rush to the season and a whirlwind All-Star Weekend, we turn our attention to the NBA's stretch run, the second half. We're at the point with the trade deadline looming two weeks away where teams will begin to make moves to either ramp up for a playoffs run or bottom out in rebuilding projects. Will the Heat keep up their pace? Can the Bulls finally get healthy and if so, how good can they be then? Are the Thunder legitimate title contenders? Are the Spurs "back" once again?

    So many questions, so little time.

    A huge element in the second half of the season is going to be minutes. The best teams will rest their players while desperate teams will have to play to the bone. The Bulls are somehow a great team and a desperate team. They want every advantage including homecourt advantage, and below we'll tell you how that could impact the MVP race.

    So we present the Baseline Awards second-half predictions, focused on who will be taking the various trophies for the second half of the season.

    Projected Eastern Conference Player of the Second Half: Derrick Rose

    LeBron James is the runaway MVP leader, the best player on the planet, and was nearly flawless in the first half, despite the end to that All-Star Game. So why isn't he here? Because the Heat will have a top-two seed locked up by early April, and then you're going to see James take more and more games off as the Heat rest him for the playoffs. What he does between now and then will determine is MVP, but in the meantime, Tom Thibodeau plays his players 35 minutes a game even when they're hurt. Assuming that the All-Star rest helped Rose recover from the back and leg injuries that hampered him this season, he'll get the minutes, he'll get the production, he'll get the win. I expect big things from the reigning MVP in the second half.

    Projected Western Conference Player of the Second Half: Kevin Durant

    It's terrifying that a kid, a 23-year-old kid, can lead the league in scoring two years in a row and then make the leap. But that's what Durant has done. Everything is better. His efficiency. His productivity. His team. His leadership. His clutch play. And his defense. It's a phenomenal streak the kid's on and there's zero reason to think he'll slow down in the second half. The West is just competitive enough for the Thunder to keep Durant playing nightly and yet not good enough to challenge the Thunder for the top spot in the West (though San Antonio's making a good show of it).

    Most-Likely to Succeed: Miami Heat

    They have it together. They have no discernible weaknesses, outside of "Can LeBron James succeed in the clutch?" and that's not a regular season concern. The offense is clicking, their chemistry is good, they've had fewer distractions, they're playing at an elite level on both sides of the ball and their injuries haven't been significant. It may be sickening, but it doesn't change the fact that this is the baddest team in the land until further notice.

    Least-Likely to Succeed: Charlotte Bobcats

    Here's the worst thing about the Bobcats. They don't even have anything of value to firesell. Tyrus Thomas is having a terrible season, Corey Maggette has been injured, D.J. Augustin is just good enough to be their best player and not good enough to draw huge offers on the market. Gerald Henderson may be their best asset and he's too good to move. If they keep this team, they'll be horrible. If they sell off the parts for future components, they'll be terrible. If the lottery doesn't help this team, it's going to be classified as negligible cruelty.

    Best Dressed: Indiana Pacers throwbacks


    These jerseys are awesome. (Getty Images)


    Those blues and yellows are just sharp as all get out.


    Worst Dressed: Memphis Grizzlies throwbacks


    This, not so much a crime against fashion as a crime against humanity. (Getty Images)


    Let us never speak of these again.

    Class Clown: JaVale McGee

    Runs the other direction, denies things he's said into tape recorders, goes for triple-doubles in blowouts, makes ridiculous goaltends and has somehow failed to get better with John Wall on his team. McGee is funny. But someone really needs to get into his head and straighten things out or a world of potential is going to be lost.

    Projected Defensive Player of the Year: Luol Deng

    Andre Iguodala deserves it, but Deng may end up winning it simply based on reputation. If Deng is healthy, he's the best perimeter defender in the league. Dwight Howard has struggled at times and hasn't been as dominant. If the coaches really vote this one right, Deng should win as long as he continues to get healthy and Tom Thibodeau doesn't run him into the ground.

    Smoke and Mirrors Award for False Relevance: Atlanta Hawks

    Always a top-six team in the standings, never a top-six team in the conference. The Hawks have managed to survive a drop-off from Joe Johnson and the injury to Al Horford. The team is supremely in need of a complete makeover but none seems imminent. So they will continue to drift through the season, winning games and getting no credit, losing games and getting hammered, never going up or down. Consistency in this league is often heralded as success. But with the Hawks, it's always seen as evidence of either a mediocre student over-achieving or an excellent student never living up to potential.

    Most Likely to Blow It Up: Boston Celtics

    The holes have not been plugged. They have not rounded into shape. They have not righted the ship. The experience has not come through. The casual approach to conditioning has not yielded the results they want. They did not coast, they stumbled. They did not cruise, they crashed. They are alive only because of Rajon Rondo and the weakness of the Eastern Conference. The time has come to end this and move on. Sentimentality is not worth wasting time, because if the big free agents get re-aligned and the Celtics have nothing to move forward with, they'll be back in the stone age they were in before the Big 3 arrived.

    Carmelo Anthony Award for MeloDrama: Dwight Howard

    "I want a trade! But I love it here! But I want more input on decisions in the front office! But I'm just trying to play! I'm not talking about free agency! Except to talk to you about how much I'm not talking about it! I love my teammates! But I love Deron Williams! I love New York! But I love Orlando! I love my mom! But I make my own decisions!"

    It's like watching a teenage girl decide between four boys while the one she's with can't figure out what he did wrong.

    Projected Rookie of the Year: Kyrie Irving

    Ricky Rubio's a nice story. Neat passes. Irving should have been an All-Star and is going to be an elite player in this league over the next decade. Cleveland's rebuild is on its way, just 19 months removed from "The Decision."

    Most Likely to be Traded: Stephen Jackson

    Steve Nash could go. Dwight Howard might go. Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Josh Smith, Rajon Rondo, Jose Calderon. But Jackson is owed a lot of money, the Bucks don't need him, and he and Skiles hate each other. He's a bad fit in the locker room and a bad fit on the floor. It's .50 cents on the dollar time in Milwaukee for CapJack.

    The 2012 Version of the 2011 Memphis Grizzlies:

    The Houston Rockets. I'm starting to buy into Houston as a surprise team. Memphis used team play, star power from Zach Randolph and a unique matchup with San Antonio to get into the second round. Houston has a Should-Be-All-Star in Kyle Lowry and world of versatility in lineups they can deploy. Throw in the work that Kevin McHale has done and the fact they're 4-4 this year against division opponents (three of which are likely playoff teams) and you've got a great shot at Houston making a surprising, if ultimately futile, run. Hurray, another mid-first-round lottery pick!

    Most Likely to Hit the Rookie Wall:

    MarShon Brooks. Brooks is going to be a terrific scorer in this league for a long time. He's got an elite set of offensive skills and tremendous length. He can play in an offense, too. But his game is predicated on shooting percentages and that's the kind of thing that can drop off when it hits the rookie wall. I full expect to have jinxed Brooks and he will now go out and win Rookie of the Year. His play in the win over the Knicks last week was superb.

    Most Likely to Make Himself a Name by Season's End: Paul George

    Should have won the dunk contest. Played Rose great last year. The Pacers are better than last year and are primed for a playoff run. Getting them out of the postseason is going to be a serious job, and George is going to be a huge part of it. More versatile on offense, better on defense, athletic, explosive, with range. George isn't going to score 40. But he's going to be a part of a lot of playoff wins for Indiana and is going to be that guy in the playoffs that make sports bars of opposing teams groan "Not that guy again!" time and time over. By the way, I've started calling him Mega-Man because it seems like every game he picks up a new ability he didn't have before.
    Danger Zone

  2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  3. #2
    Stirring the pot _The_Future_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bloomington,IN
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Mega-Man, love it.
    FOLLOW ME: @WarnerSays

    IU > Kentucky

    Biggest PHILLIES PHAN in Indiana

    “And as I go,I go with just a few words left to say,a few words I want to address to Colts fans everywhere, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback. Thank you.”
    - Peyton Manning

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to _The_Future_ For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,647

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    That Mega-Man line is so awesome!

    We need a picture of PG in the blue Mega Man suit! {Paging Magic Rat}

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Member ejwallace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    839
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    If only Rush were still on our team......


    For those of you not in the know:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...haracters#Rush

    Rush (ラッシュ Rasshu?) is a robotic dog belonging to Mega Man. He is introduced in Mega Man 3, and has appeared in many games since. Created by Dr. Light and Dr. Wily to be an all around support unit, Rush has the ability to transform into various forms. Rush Marine transforms Rush into a small, one-seated submarine, and Rush Jet transforms his legs into jet engines that let him take flight. Rush also has the Rush Coil, which is a spring that pops out of his back and helps Mega Man reach higher platforms that he normally can't access. Other games have him transform into a motorcycle and a drill car, and in the fourth and fifth Gameboy games as a spaceship. In later games, the Rush Adaptor allows Rush to attach himself to Mega Man, allowing him to float, shoot more powerful blasts, and launch his arms as projectiles. In a couple of games including "Mega Man 8," Rush can be used to obtain helpful items, such as health.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,486

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    I disagree about Irving over Rubio for R.O.Y. The Timberwolves were drastically terrible last year, and even in the first 2 weeks of the season this year. THen Rubio starts and they go off on a tear and have been playing so much better since then. Irving is a great player, but he has not had the same impact as Rubio.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  10. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree about Irving over Rubio for R.O.Y. The Timberwolves were drastically terrible last year, and even in the first 2 weeks of the season this year. THen Rubio starts and they go off on a tear and have been playing so much better since then. Irving is a great player, but he has not had the same impact as Rubio.
    The Cavs have had a fairly sizable improvement, too. They've improved their winning percentage 13.9% almost entirely behind the play of Irving. That works out to an 11-win improvement over an 82-game schedule.

  11. #7
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,486

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Cavs have had a fairly sizable improvement, too. They've improved their winning percentage 13.9% almost entirely behind the play of Irving. That works out to an 11-win improvement over an 82-game schedule.
    But they still hovering 10 game below even. Atleast the wolves are playing .500 ball.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  12. #8
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But they still hovering 10 game below even. Atleast the wolves are playing .500 ball.
    And the wolves also have one of, if not the, best PF in the game. Its not all about Rubio.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,486

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And the wolves also have one of, if not the, best PF in the game. Its not all about Rubio.
    Kevin Love has never got them close to winning season. I seem to remember people speaking highly of Love last year too.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kevin Love has never got them close to winning season. I seem to remember people speaking highly of Love last year too.
    There is no doubt that Rubio has helped improve that team. But its not just Rubio that has them .500. Also they added pieced like Derrick Williams and JJ Barea. Nikola Pekovic has show huge improvement as well.

    Minnesota being improved over last year isn't just because of Rubio. He has played a role in it, but he's not alone in it.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    Member A.B.Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Irving is the ROY.

    Period.

    Whether or not other pieces have made one team better or not isn't the issue. And I say this LOVING Rubio. But Irving is having a better season than Wall, Rose and most other combo guards starting out in recent memory.
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

  19. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to A.B.Hollywood For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  20. #12
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,343

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Class Clown: JaVale McGee

    Runs the other direction, denies things he's said into tape recorders, goes for triple-doubles in blowouts, makes ridiculous goaltends and has somehow failed to get better with John Wall on his team. McGee is funny. But someone really needs to get into his head and straighten things out or a world of potential is going to be lost.
    Just another example of the idiot, racist, right-wing media perpetuating stereotypes.

    Or something like that.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  21. #13
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,486

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is no doubt that Rubio has helped improve that team. But its not just Rubio that has them .500. Also they added pieced like Derrick Williams and JJ Barea. Nikola Pekovic has show huge improvement as well.

    Minnesota being improved over last year isn't just because of Rubio. He has played a role in it, but he's not alone in it.
    But its Rubio that is running the team. Therefore Rubio has had the biggest impact of all those players.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  22. #14
    The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,582

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    love the mega-man analogy that is awesome as far as a picture of him in a mega-man suit. I'm sure we could get some of our more adept photoshoppers on the board to tweak his Tron jersey a bit from the dunk contest. Shouldn't be too hard I mean heck one of our colors is blue anyhow, now if someone can augment a mega blaster arm cannon onto one of his arms I'll declare you photoshop king for what that's worth

  23. #15
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,486

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Quote Originally Posted by A.B.Hollywood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Irving is the ROY.

    Period.

    Whether or not other pieces have made one team better or not isn't the issue. And I say this LOVING Rubio. But Irving is having a better season than Wall, Rose and most other combo guards starting out in recent memory.
    OH PLEASE, Irving is playing in Byron Scott's pg super system. I mean hell I could say Darren Collison should have ROY. He put up the same numbers as Irving when he was the starter in NO in the same system.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  24. #16
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But its Rubio that is running the team. Therefore Rubio has had the biggest impact of all those players.
    He may have, but its not so much bigger that you can cite the T-Wolves better record as to why Rubio should win ROY over Kyrie Irving.

  25. #17
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,774

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Still like Tron better.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  26. #18
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,943
    Mood

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Minnesota being improved over last year isn't just because of Rubio. He has played a role in it, but he's not alone in it.
    Rick Adelman.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:


  28. #19
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,486

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He may have, but its not so much bigger that you can cite the T-Wolves better record as to why Rubio should win ROY over Kyrie Irving.
    So record should have nothing to do with ROY? I mean come on....thats just silly.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  29. #20
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So record should have nothing to do with ROY? I mean come on....thats just silly.
    because thats what i said

  30. #21
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,486

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    because thats what i said
    You're silly man, you'd give ROY to some rookie who excelled in a system that was designed around him.

    Fact or fake, DC averaged more points and assists as the starter NO than Irving has this year.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  31. #22
    Member Blink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    What a great analogy, I'd love for that nickname to stick.

  32. #23
    Member A.B.Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OH PLEASE, Irving is playing in Byron Scott's pg super system. I mean hell I could say Darren Collison should have ROY. He put up the same numbers as Irving when he was the starter in NO in the same system.
    Uhhh. This what someone who hasn't watched him play says.
    I don't want to sound condescending, which means to talk down to you by the way

  33. #24
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,872

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're silly man, you'd give ROY to some rookie who excelled in a system that was designed around him.

    Fact or fake, DC averaged more points and assists as the starter NO than Irving has this year.
    DC also had a much better team around him. Have you seen Clevelands roster? Cleveland lost a record setting 26 games in a row last year. And they didn't add anyone other than Irving this year.

    Minnesota added some real talent to that club and a damn good coach.

    Everyone is giving Irving the ROY, but I'm the silly one. In a full 82 game season, Irving alone has the Cavs on pace to win 31 games.

  34. #25
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,486

    Default Re: CBS Sports Awards - Paul George "Mega-Man"

    Quote Originally Posted by A.B.Hollywood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uhhh. This what someone who hasn't watched him play says.
    Fact or fake, DC averaged more points and assists as the starter in NO than Irving has this year.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Similar Threads

  1. Paul George reminds me a lot like Tracy McGrady
    By The Future in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
  2. Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.
    By hoops_guy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 10:02 PM
  3. Chris Paul demands trade
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 12:10 AM
  4. Paul George Live Pacers Chat 1 PM Today
    By naptownmenace in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 07:17 AM
  5. More funny stuff from Paul Shirley
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •