Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ho do we know? He passed it so fast I thought I heard a sonic boom.
    ...so he should have waited for the trap to close in and make the pass more difficult?

Sure, Haslem had a open look, but does that make it theb RIGHT basketball paly? I will admitt it was a GOOD basketball play, but no way I cave on that being the RIGHT basketball play.
    ...that's nice, but 30 out of 30 NBA coaches being paid to draw up gameplans would disagree with you, as well as those of us with common sense.

You might get credit for that answer right in a Michigan or Ohio State Grad class, but in Real Life Basketball 101, you like leBron, FAIL!
    I don't even know what this is supposed to imply. I just know it's absurd.

I wish Kobe would be more aggressive. He passed that so quickly! Why didn't he just take both mavs himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Jordan made a lot more than Steve Kerr.

Jordan made a lot more than John Paxon.

If there's anything that should determine who takes what shot in an NBA game, it's who makes more money than the next guy....
    You seriously like to argue for what? You brought up the fact that Haslem gets paid to make shot in the NBA in the first place so I brought up the fact that Haslem isnt even a shooter and makes much less than Lebron.

Great play, found the guy who usually can net those mid range jumpers. I dont like lebron and even i think that was the right choice

Haslem is a career %50 shooter. If he can't make those shots anymore then that's the team's fault for not finding someone who can.

You can find D-league players that can make wide open 16-footers. This is not an elite skill.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-03-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    You seriously like to argue for what? You brought up the fact that Haslem gets paid to make shot in the NBA in the first place so I brought up the fact that Haslem isnt even a shooter and makes much less than Lebron.
    Haslem is a shooter. This mid range shot is how he makes his living on offense.

Haslem is a career %50 shooter. If he can't make those shots anymore then that's the team's fault for not finding someone who can.
    Career %50 shooter from mid-range? Where he was last night? It doesn't matter what his percentage is for his career on FG%. This year he is 41% on FG's.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    exactly, that's the dudes bread & butter

Wade really should have just forced that shot at the rim. Everyone knows Haslem isn't a shooter....

The non-shooting Haslem with both the game tying and game winning jumpers in the last 45 seconds.

Last edited by Kstat; 03-03-2012 at 07:57 PM.

It's not even debatable. Stats-wise, there have been several recent studies of "clutch" superstars trying to hit last second shots. They're surprisingly bad at it, as a rule. That's generally because they're being challenged and heaving low percentage shots.

Not saying LeBron doesn't have an issue with sometimes being pass-first instead of going aggressively to the hoop. But come on. He was doubled and Haslem was wide open at 14 feet. Haslem had the shot.

This would not even be a story if it weren't for the LeBron "does he have the right stuff" subplot. Somebody always gets that crown -- Peyton Manning wore it for years.

The play was basketball 101.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    That's not what I'm saying though. You have Lebron James and Dwayne Wade on the court but you would rather have Udonis Haslem taking the last shot? Haslem isn't a shooter or a scorer, he isn't a scoring threat at all. Yes, he can make those shots and he has and will but quoting an article saying thats his bread and butter and all this is just plain wrong.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Wade really should have just forced that shot at the rim. Everyone knows Haslem isn't a shooter....

The non-shooting Haslem with both the game tying and game winning jumpers in the last 45 seconds.

Yes, I too googled Udonis Haslem game winning shot and saw those two videos cause I was just curious if he ever had hit a game winner.

I want the best chance to score. That should be Udonis Haslem being wide open over LeBron forcing the ball into double coverage.

I assume Jordan wanted to score too, which is why he passed up championship-winning moments to get the ball to an open john paxon or steve kerr.

People that get their basketball knowledge from watching sportscenter don't understand that. Great basketball player don't want the glory play, they just want the winning play.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-03-2012 at 08:04 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

That's not what I'm saying though. You have Lebron James and Dwayne Wade on the court but you would rather have Udonis Haslem taking the last shot? Haslem isn't a shooter or a scorer, he isn't a scoring threat at all. Yes, he can make those shots and he has and will but quoting an article saying thats his bread and butter and all this is just plain wrong.
    1) I'm not quoting an article and say that's his bread and butter. I'm using my eyes. It's widely known even to someone like me who rarely watched NBA regularly before this year that Haslem's bread and butter is the mid range shot.

2) I'd rather have the one who has the best shot available at the current situation. By best shot I mean the shot that is as open as it can get and said player can hit it. So, I wouldn't want Foster or Amundson to take a wide open shot. I'd rather have Udonis Haslem, Vladimir Radmanovic or David West take a wide open jumper than Wade or LeBron driving and attempting a circus shot through 2 players.

The only player in the world that I'd like to get a shot off even if two defenders are on him is Dirk Nowitzki. Wanna know why? Because he is a 7 footer that can take enough separation on his shot and line up his elbows perfectly in order to take this shot as if it was a normal one.

Some things that hadn't been mentioned here yet that I think adds to the LeBron should have shot side.. He was 8/9 in the 4th at that point and had hit some ridiculous long range jumpers. I'm not denying that the pass was a solid play in general basketball sense, but when you are LeBron and you are hot in the 4th, I just can't see him not taking another dribble or two and looking for his own shot. If after that extra dribble you still think it's not there, the pass still would have been.
    Last edited by mb221; 03-03-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The one thing I get from thread is that there are too many feel-goog, John Wooden wannabies on this board who are more concerned about being "right" then actually being right.
    I get why LeBron has his supporters, & even moreso why he has then on "this play", but IMO you all just don't get the point.

Everyone wants to compare apples to oranges & justify it by calling both fruit. Fine, but you are not getting what you are ordered. Everyone wants to point to MJ passing to Paxson as justification for LeBron passing to Haslem, but no one has mentioned MJ kill'n C.Ehloe nor making B.Russell his bytch for the rest of time on earth. No one has mentioned MJ's 6 rings and a reputation of making those around him better, vs. LeBron's who has or is known for neither. No one has mentioned MJ's rep of being the most feared finisher in history vs. LeBron being known as a "quitter".
    Ask Boston or Dallas players what they think of LeBron as a "finisher", then ask Cav & Heat fans what they thought of LeBron at crunch time of the biggest games. Now go talk to Bulls fans - or hell, go talk to the Laker fans! Kobe may have 1 less ring than MJ, but has more finals appearances, & he is the only person compared to having anything close to MJ's competitiveness. MJ is a GOAT (Greatest Of All Time), Kobe is nicknamed "The Mamba" (deadliest cold-blooded killer on earth), & LeBron?... "3 Quarters"?

Listen, give me the "Basketball 101's" about that being a "good play" all day, all night long, & I will never argue with you, but ask me to believe it was the RIGHT play & you will die waiting. You need to practice being big-time before you can be big time. Kobe was taking preasure shots @ 18 yrs old. MJ took the shot from day 1, but LeBron?

Vince Lanbardi once said something to the effect:
    "Winning is not a sometime-thing, it is an All-the-Time thing. You don't try to win some of the time, you try to win All of the Time. Winning is a Habbit! Unfortunately, so is losing."

MJ & Kobe made own their habbits, LeBron is making his.
    Not sure how that gets drawn up in some play book, or explained by some talking head on ESPN and then regirgitated onto this forum, but it will and it has. Supporting LeBron's "good play" does not make anyone here any smarter or wiser, it only distracts of from what we all know deep down to be true:

Lebron is not who we hoped he was, & we are all letting him off the hook".
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Mood

The only person "quoting" is you, remember http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost...9&postcount=98
    Last edited by TheDavisBrothers; 03-03-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

It doesn't matter to me. As long as the Decider or his Decidekick misses the shot, I'm good.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    The only person "quoting" is you, remember http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost...9&postcount=98
    I added the url beforehand so that doesn't mean anything, you were the one quoting steve kerr with the bread and butter thing.

Mood

I added the url beforehand so that doesn't mean anything, you were the one quoting steve kerr with the bread and butter thing.
    1st off no you didn't and 2nd I have no clue what Steve Kerr thing you're talking about...
    Unlike some, I don't have to google my answers
    Last edited by TheDavisBrothers; 03-03-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    1st off no you didn't and 2nd I have no clue what Steve Kerr thing you're talking about...
    Unlike some, I don't have to google my answers
    You were 12-13 when Haslem came into this league. I'm sure you watched him so much and always though of his midrange shot, "man, that's that guys bread and butter". Inside defender, rebounder, sure, but in no way is he a shooter or a scorer. I'm done with this pointless argument. My answer is simply yes, Lebron should of taken that shot last night.

Mood

You were 12-13 when Haslem came into this league. I'm sure you watched him so much and always though of his midrange shot, "man, that's that guys bread and butter". Inside defender, rebounder, sure, but in no way is he a shooter or a scorer. I'm done with this pointless argument. My answer is simply yes, Lebron should of taken that shot last night.
    So teenagers don't know anything about basketball then? Wow it's almost funny if it wasn't so sad...

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Bird looks like he's totally bawlin'.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    Not sure how that gets drawn up in some play book, or explained by some talking head on ESPN and then regirgitated onto this forum, but it will and it has. Supporting LeBron's "good play" does not make anyone here any smarter or wiser, it only distracts of from what we all know deep down to be true:

Lebron is not who we hoped he was, & we are all letting him off the hook".
    I'm quoting this part because this is the most interesting part of your post. Frankly, I should have quoted the whole quote but then it would all look too long.

Here it goes then:

A large part of your post assumes that people only talk about this play that way because it was made by LeBron.

Personally, I couldn't care less. There's no comparison between MJ and LeBron. None. MJ was from an another player. I could see a comparison between LeBron's and Kobe's greatness but that's only because I believe that Kobe is not that great either. Now, granted I've only watched post-Shaq Kobe. But what I dislike about Kobe is his bad shot selection and this was true throughout most of his career. Too much hero ball for me to bare. What I dislike about LeBron is that he is a poor FT shooter for his position. If he wants to claim that he is the most complete player at the moment he has to fix this (and also improve on the 3 point shot).

It's safe to say that I had no expectations from him to begin with (mainly because I didn't give a damn). So, the bold part of your post does not hold any truth here.

Also, ESPN has nothing to do with this. I live in Greece and I don't watch the ESPN. I only use their site to dig up game logs, splits and such info. The ESPN did not force anything into my mind. What I'm saying comes from my personal experience of playing basketball for 10 years and watching it for 15. I was never a good player to begin with. I could only defend, grab some boards and make passes. I did know which plays were the correct ones.

Of course, you're gonna respond that Junior High basketball is different from the NBA. And you're right, it is. But this difference does not have to do with what is a good shot or not. An open jumper by a player that can make it (cause Hibbert, Haslem can and will make this shot a lot more often than not) will always be the right shot. There are only two shots that have a higher percentage than the top of the key jumper. The dunk and the uncontested layup. In that order.

Could the Heat get a dunk in that play? Not with the people that the Jazz had in the paint.

Could the Heat get an uncontested layup in that play? No. There was no time for a back-cut and if LeBron penetrated he would be contested by two people.

The immediate next choice was the jumper. They took it but he missed. **** happens.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Damned if you do, damned if you don't in this case.... but at the same time, he deserves every bit of nitpicking that fans and the media do over his every move, and has brought every ounce of criticism upon himself. And I'm more than happy to watch him fail.

But the Heat are still far and away the best team in the league, and he has a LOT to do with that.