Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54

Thread: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

  1. #1

    Default Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    For those of you who don't know, Miami was in a thriller last night in Utah. Lebron James dominated the fourth quarter in which he scored 17 points on 8-9 shooting. (35/10/6 on the night). Despite all this however, Miami found themselves down 1 with 4.5 seconds left. Lebron receives the inbound pass, gets doubled, and dishes it to Udonis Haslem who misses the shot. Do you guys think Lebron made the right decision?

    You can watch the play here:
    http://allball.blogs.nba.com/2012/03...the-last-shot/

    --
    In my opinion, him giving the ball to Haslem was perfectly justifiable. It was the correct basketball play, and its not like MJ never gave the big shot to Kerr or Paxson.

  2. #2
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,840

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    I'm not a LeBron hater at all, and was the pass to Haslem a good play? Yeah I think so. BUT I think he should have kept going at the basket. Chances are you are getting a foul on that play and a decent look near the rim. LeBron is damn good at the rim, should have kept driving imo. It wasn't that great of a double team as he already got past the one guy.

    If LeBron had a Robert Horry or Steve Kerr on his team, he wouldn't get near the amount of **** he does. More often than not, he is making the smart play.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    That is a good basketball play. Lebron gets far to much blame IMO. It is amazing that he has such a pass first mentality for someone that could be considered one of the most dominant players ever.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,942

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    No. He made the right decision. Haslem just missed.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,628

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    I think passing was the right decision but considering how hot he was I was surprised his passed up the opportunity to take it to the hoop.

    Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned that if DWade had made his free throws they wouldn't have been down 1 point and in that situation in the first place.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,943

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    It's sad that this is even a topic.

    Udonis Haslem is a professional getting paid to make wide open mid range shots. He could not have been any more open. LeBron was getting double teamed.

    Was Jordan a coward for passing to John Paxon or Stever Kerr?

    How Haslem is skipping by on this is beyond me. He could not possibly have had an easier perimeter shot.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  11. #7

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think passing was the right decision but considering how hot he was I was surprised his passed up the opportunity to take it to the hoop.

    Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned that if DWade had made his free throws they wouldn't have been down 1 point and in that situation in the first place.
    Wade also had a very costly foul giving Devin Harris the And 1.

    Its funny how Wade gets a free pass, and yet people will go as far as to call him the "Batman" of the team.

  12. #8
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,271
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    He chokes, of course he passed. He wants to blame Haslem rather than himself.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  13. #9
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,802
    Mood

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    He had the options no doubt, it's his decision to make a play and Haslem didn't get it done. Is it a cop out for Lebron to pass it to him and not raise up and shoot it or drive to the basket? Maybe, guess we need to ask him and the coach. Do I give a crap? Hell no, they lost, I'm Happy!
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  14. #10
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,942

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned that if DWade had made his free throws they wouldn't have been down 1 point and in that situation in the first place.
    This. I am not a fan of LeBron for various reasons but he shouldn't get hate for things like this play.

    Wade (who I like more than LeBron) made a lot of mistakes to give Jazz the win. He committed a foul on a 3 point shot, he made a bad foul on Harris in Jazz's last possession, he missed a free throw and he also missed a shot. Basically, Wade did all he could for Heat to lose the match.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  16. #11

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. He made the right decision. Haslem just missed.
    this. there are lots of reasons to hate on LBJ, but this is not one of them.

    from a purely selfish pacer motive, this could get james to pass less and shoot more. it would make him easier to defend.

  17. #12
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    If LeBron was a Pacer, I'd have cheered that play. It's a good basketball play.

    Since LeBron plays for the Heat, I'm really hoping he says "I'm never doing that again." Anything that makes the Heat play more like a team is something that's bad for us.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,943

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He chokes, of course he passed. He wants to blame Haslem rather than himself.
    ...an example of other great "choke" moments throughout history....

    I especially like the second clip where Kerr tells Jordan he'll be ready if he's open ,and Jordan tells Kerr "**** you, I'm the star and I'm shooting that **** no matter what!"




    Last edited by Kstat; 03-03-2012 at 06:20 PM.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  21. #14
    Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indy's North Side
    Posts
    1,540

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    Kobe: "SHOOT THE BALL!!!"
    The Runaway Bride strikes again...
    And before I read another post downplaying this by saying it was the "right basketball play", IT WAS NOT! It can't be the "right basketball play" when he (the best active basketball player on the planet) never even coinsidered taking the shot himself!!! He is not Steve Nash, he is LeBron Frick'n James!!! Was Haslem open - yes. Do I like my chances better with LeBron taking it to the hoop - Hell Yes! Problem is, I get LeBron taking it strong at crunch time about as much as I get Hedi Klum outside of my dreams - NEVER!

    Say what you want, support the "good basketball play" all you want, but fool me once, shame on You, fool me twice, shame on Me, fool me for 7+ seasons and you're not fooling, you are just a Fool.

    Bottom line is LeBron he "mouses up" when the game is on the line, every time, & this gets him eatem alive (just ask the Mamba!).
    Last edited by PacerGuy; 03-03-2012 at 06:46 PM.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

  22. #15
    Member Hibbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stay at ya mammy house
    Age
    32
    Posts
    976

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's sad that this is even a topic.

    Udonis Haslem is a professional getting paid to make wide open mid range shots. He could not have been any more open. LeBron was getting double teamed.

    Was Jordan a coward for passing to John Paxon or Stever Kerr?

    How Haslem is skipping by on this is beyond me. He could not possibly have had an easier perimeter shot.
    It's a topic cause Lebron has been criticized the past year for choking and passing up last second shots and he continues to do so. You can point the finger at a lot of different things here but the point is he continues to show everyone that he lacks confidence taking the big shots in the end. Lebron also gets paid and gets paid a lot more than Haslem, who had four points on the night, you don't want Haslem taking the last shot of the game when you are down.

  23. #16
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,942

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And before I read another post downplaying this by saying it was the "right basketball play", IT WAS NOT!
    Look, I don't care if LeBron mouses up during crunch time and defers to someone else. I don't like LeBron as a player and I am not a supporter of the Heat. If he helps the Heat to lose then all the better for me as I don't like them as a team (well, I do like some of their role players but that's it).

    However, he made the right play. I don't care that he's LeBron James. He's still a human being. He's not Superman. I'd prefer someone to take an open shoot (especially since Haslem specializes in this particular shot) than any player in the world taking a shot with 2 players in his face.

  24. #17
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,078
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Was Jordan a coward for passing to John Paxon or Stever Kerr?

  25. #18
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,217
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    How many times is it gonna be the right play? Was it right at the end of game 6 of the finals last year when the king acted like the ball was kryptonite?

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  27. #19
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,943

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many times is it gonna be the right play? Was it right at the end of game 6 of the finals last year when the king acted like the ball was kryptonite?
    that was on him. He wasn't being trapped, though.

    Last night? It was the right play.

  28. #20
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,934

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    Haslem is money from there. Wade passes it to him there all the time. If he's open there, and you're in a double team, you throw it to him.

  29. #21
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,943

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lebron also gets paid and gets paid a lot more than Haslem, who had four points on the night, you don't want Haslem taking the last shot of the game when you are down.
    Jordan made a lot more than Steve Kerr.

    Jordan made a lot more than John Paxon.

    If there's anything that should determine who takes what shot in an NBA game, it's who makes more money than the next guy....
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-03-2012 at 07:17 PM.

  30. #22
    Member skyfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,559

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    I read a stat somewhere that said LeBron has made 1 of his last 9 shots in the last 24secs of games, when trying to tie or go for the lead.

    He made some crazy shots to even get them close in that game. Their spacing didn't seem very good on that last play. You'd expect Haslem to make that shot fairly often tho.

  31. #23
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,942

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many times is it gonna be the right play?
    Yesterday's play? Every time. It is the right play. Period.

    For LeBron in general? I don't know and I don't care.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  33. #24
    Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indy's North Side
    Posts
    1,540

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    However, he made the right play. I don't care that he's LeBron James. He's still a human being. He's not Superman. I'd prefer someone to take an open shoot (especially since Haslem specializes in this particular shot) than any player in the world taking a shot with 2 players in his face.
    Ho do we know? He passed it so fast I thought I heard a sonic boom.
    Sure, Haslem had a open look, but does that make it theb RIGHT basketball paly? I will admitt it was a GOOD basketball play, but no way I cave on that being the RIGHT basketball play.
    You might get credit for that answer right in a Michigan or Ohio State Grad class, but in Real Life Basketball 101, you like leBron, FAIL!
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

  34. #25
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,150

    Default Re: Should Lebron have taken the shot last night or no?

    As much as I dislike LeBron, props to him for trying to make the right play rather than do it all on his own. There's a time and place for taking that shot though. I don't think that was the time. His team mates need to convert those shots and these are basically practice games for that.

Similar Threads

  1. Odd Thoughts: Bowing before the King(s)
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 04:17 PM
  2. Pacers/Kings postgame thread
    By vnzla81 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 206
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 02:09 PM
  3. comments from an O'brien supporter - warning its lengthy :)
    By PacersPride in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM
  4. Best column I've read on the whole Lebron vs Gilbert feud
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-19-2010, 06:23 PM
  5. Taking a Comparative Look at LeBron
    By quinnthology in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 02:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •