Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade Fixes: Central (insider)

Default Trade Fixes: Central (insider)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...ucks-cavaliers

The problem: The Pacers are one of the league's "surprise" teams this season, which has Frank Vogel being mentioned as a Coach of the Year candidate in his first full season at the helm of an NBA club. Indiana has been playing at a fairly high level since Vogel took over for Jim O'Brien last season, and once the Pacers added David West from free agency, you had to figure the Pacers would be in the mix to head up the tier just behind Miami and Chicago in the East. Well, we figured that anyway. Vogel will push Indiana hard to land that third playoff seed, but that could still mean a second-round matchup with either the Heat or Bulls. As well as the Pacers have played, their point differential leaves them with about a 15-game gap to catch the Heat -- 16 for the Bulls -- in terms of expected wins per 82 games. That's an awful steep hill to climb.

Realistically, the Pacers aren't a threat to Miami or Chicago, but if they do want to make the powerhouses a little more uncomfortable, the Pacers could use another scorer. Indiana has really stepped up defensively this season with its deep frontcourt and the disruptive perimeter presence of Paul George. However, the Pacers lack an explosive perimeter player off the bench. George Hill has been terrific, but he's a low-usage, high-efficiency player who can't really be counted on to create much offense against an elite defense. Dahntay Jones is getting nearly 17 minutes per night, and Indiana needs to find a scorer who can replace that playing time, plus a little more.

The fix:: Indiana was one administrative glitch away from acquiring Memphis' O.J. Mayo at last year's deadline and the restricted free-agent-to-be makes even more sense for the Pacers this time around. However, Mayo is playing an important role for the Grizzlies, who would probably want something useful in return. The Pacers have nearly $15 million in cap space remaining, so they can make a big splash in the next two weeks without giving up anything of real value. They'll go after expiring deals -- it would be surprise to see them go after a player with years left on his contract beyond this season. Still, Mayo may be worth giving up something for.

Beyond Mayo, Leandro Barbosa is in the last year of his deal with the Raptors and makes a lot of sense, but Toronto isn't in a salary-shedding mode. Chris Kaman has been mentioned as a possibility, but with Roy Hibbert, West and the struggling Tyler Hansbrough, the Pacers have plenty of interior scoring. Michael Beasley would certainly add scoring ability, but he isn't quite the fit at wing that you'd like to see. Other expiring deals that might become targets include Atlanta's Kirk Hinrich and Cleveland's Antawn Jamison. It's not clear who Indiana will target, but look for them to end up with one or two more bench pieces in the next week or two.
    I'm a Beast

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PaulGeorge For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Trade Fixes: Central (insider)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...ucks-cavaliers

Realistically, the Pacers aren't a threat to Miami or Chicago, but if they do want to make the powerhouses a little more uncomfortable, the Pacers could use another scorer.
    ^^^^^
    This pretty much sums up Indiana in a nutshell this season

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

I love the idea of adding a few vets on expiring deals for the playoffs this year. While it is still unlikely that we would beat the Bulls or Heat, if we get on a hot streak going into the playoffs, (not unlikely considering our schedule), take care of our first round opponent, then take our chance in round two. A key injury and you're in the ECF. If it doesn't work you still have all of your flexibility in the off season. Seems like a very sound plan to me. Of course if you can get Rondo without giving up one of your top 4 players, I would make that deal.

i have a feeling we will be getting an "O.J. Mayo 4.0" trade thread soon

I'd really like to see us add a high-quality perimeter scorer (Barbosa, maybe Mayo, someone like that) to bring off the bench before the deadline, but unfortunately I'm not holding my breath. I still sometimes get that "aww, shucks" feeling when I think about Crawford almost coming here when West did, but oh well. More likely we get another last-second rumor that doesn't end up happening. Or, hell, maybe we're finally due for one that DOES make it in. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'd really like to see us add a high-quality perimeter scorer (Barbosa, maybe Mayo, someone like that) to bring off the bench before the deadline, but unfortunately I'm not holding my breath. I still sometimes get that "aww, shucks" feeling when I think about Crawford almost coming here when West did, but oh well. More likely we get another last-second rumor that doesn't end up happening. Or, hell, maybe we're finally due for one that DOES make it in. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
    Do you think if we overpaid he would have choose us? Would he have been worth it?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    Do you think if we overpaid he would have choose us? Would he have been worth it?
    14ppg, 4apg, 40%. Needs to bring his shooting up to that 45% mark, but the guy handles the ball and creates offense. Would be a really nice addition to the backcourt.

As far as overpaying, who knows. Sounds as though he was pretty committed to getting closer to home.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    How much is overpaid? As a side note to before the season started, I would have never thought our 2nd unit would struggle with offense as much as they did with Hill, D. Jones, and Hansbrough being part of the 2nd unit. In reality, I had high expectations for Hansbrough this season, and I thought he would contend for the 6th Man of the Year award.

The addition of Crawford probably would have given us 2-3 more games in the win column, but we still be 3rd in the East. So, it just depends how meaningful having a "better" W/L record is to you. Miami, Chicago, and OKC is crushing the league this year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't get why people don't think this team can beat the Bulls.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    They have more consistency, better bench players, and a Superstar in Derrick Rose who can take over games at will. We can play with them very well, but in a seven games series Bulls will come out on top, unless we get another offensive player.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think we can beat the Bulls. I think we know them very well and know how to play them. I don't think we can beat the Heat though. Even with having Hibbert and West to go at them down low, we need more.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Banned

Because they are better than us in almost evey position?

Rose>>DC
    Hamilton Deng>Danny
    Boozer>West
    Noah= Roy.

Not only that but they won games that they were supposed to lose with Deng and Rose out for few games, their defense is amazing they have everybody playing suffocating D but Boozer of course

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We have an OUTSIDE chance at beating them, but that's just it, realistically it's not gonna happen in a 7 game series

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

3-6 since Vogel took over. HOWEVER, between Miami and Chicago, I believe our best chances is against the Bulls. The Bulls are not a physical team, and our style of defense is the best matchup for them. Also, Roy Hibbert needs to start *****ing manhandling Noah.

EDIT:
    Darren Collison doesn't give us the best chance at winning particularly against the Miami Heat and Chicago Bulls which is why I want Rondo soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 03-03-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

Rose>>DC
    Hamilton Deng>Danny
    Boozer>West
    Noah= Roy.

Not only that but they won games that they were supposed to lose with Deng and Rose out for few games, their defense is amazing they have everybody playing suffocating D but Boozer of course
    We certainly aren't the favorites against Chicago, but if we beat them I don't think it would be the biggest shock. Upset? Yes. Unbelievable? No.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

I would still love to FINALLY get mayo. Def worth giving up our first rounder for him still-
    Murph

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPride33 View Post
    I would still love to FINALLY get mayo. Def worth giving up our first rounder for him still-
    Disagree. Not for a half-season rental, and I'd rather use that pick this year.

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

Just sign mYo in off season--albeit you can get him for 5-6 mil/year. Who would we get in the late 20s in the draft anyway?
    Murph

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    Disagree. Not for a half-season rental, and I'd rather use that pick this year.
    For who? Our pick this season might as well be a 2nd rounder pick. I would use that first round pick for OJ Mayo, and I wouldn't even think twice about it.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Rose>>DC
    Hamilton Deng>Danny
    Boozer>West
    Noah= Roy.

Maybe I'm a total homer but
    Danny > Deng
    West > Boozer
    Roy > Noah

This Pacers team can beat that Bulls team. Which is why it is crucial we the right seed. If we draw the Bulls in the 2nd round, this team could get to the ECF, I'd almost expect it.

However, we have no chance to win 4 games vs the Heat in a playoff series. Their games vs the Pacers this year left little doubt about it. They are too smart and too good. We would have a better chance beating them with our team from 3 years ago, just getting lucky on 3pters with our stretch 4 gameplan...

Watching Lebron play team defense is really awesome to watch, it puts everyone else to shame and it exposes guys like Tyreke who totally half *** it. I enjoy watching him play D more than I do watching him on offense. He should be DPOY this year as well as the MVP.

Banned

Maybe I'm a total homer
    Yes you are

it should look like this

rose > collison
    rip hamilton < PG
    luol deng < DG
    carlos boozer = west
    joakim noah < hibbert

position-by-position we win, but that doesn't take into account how much of an impact rose has.
    Last edited by adamscb; 03-03-2012 at 06:46 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to adamscb For This Useful Post:

Yes you are
    I don't know about that. Boozer is awful. Not a winning player in my opinion at all. You constantly say West is terrible at defense and yet you rank Boozer over him for some reason. Deng and Danny are pretty much interchangeable and Hibbert (this year) is clearly better than Noah.

what's the rest of the article say?

Yes you are
    I can see rating Granger, Roy, and west as being better than Deng,boozer, and Noah. That's definitely debatable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus