Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

I don't see a scenario in which Gregg Williams is allowed to coach this year. I think it's more likely that he never coaches in the NFL than he coaches this year.

And "Mr. Jet" Goodell will probably take away the Saints first round draft pick, especially since it now belongs to the Patriots!

I have always thought that the d-bag Jeff Fisher had a bounty on Rodney Harrison the year they took him out with a season-ending knee injury on a chop block and Fisher just grinned and high-fived the layer who did it. Williams apparently learned it from Fisher and carried it with him to other jobs. That bounty play was precisely why Belichick didn't let up in the 59-0 beatdown of the Titans two years ago.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 03-03-2012 at 12:15 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kind of ironic that the last two media darling teams, named the "saints" and the "patriots," were both involved in some kind of scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    maybe they'll have to forfeit their super bowl win...
    How would that even work? Would it be too late to have a parade?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Kind of ironic that the last two media darling teams, named the "saints" and the "patriots," were both involved in some kind of scandal.
    Sadly that argument mirrors reality.

From Extremeskins:

Anyway, Titans were putting bounties on Manning too per LindaCohn so it seems like this was a widespread event. What Goodell has to do is put an end to this nonsense with force. Put his foot down and say no more. As much hate as the commishioner gets, we can all agree that bounties are the wrong way to play the game. They have no place in the NFL.

Saints are about to get hit with the biggest penalty ever given in the NFL. My guess is that Sean Payton will be suspended for 4 or 5 games, Williams will be suspended indefinitely, huge fines for the coaches and the Saints franchise, and a loss of two first round draft picks.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IMO, Payton should get it just as hard as Williams. He knew about it even if he wasn't participating and as the head coach of a team it is your job to stop silly **** like this from ever even happening.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    IMO, Payton should get it just as hard as Williams. He knew about it even if he wasn't participating and as the head coach of a team it is your job to stop silly **** like this from ever even happening.

I agree. I think it's a foregone conclusion at this point that Williams is going to get a serious, serious penalty. I'm most curious to see what happens with Payton. For years, he has been hailed as one of the top coaches in the NFL, and he certainly deserved it with their success on the field. But not doing anything to stop this sort of behavior is beyond unacceptable and he should suffer a large penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Dungy says that the Titans had bounties on Peyton

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eyton-manning/

This might explain why the Colts had zero interest whatsoever in Jeff Fisher. I'm sure Dungy mentioned this to Irsay somewhere along the line.

Also, I remember that slaughter the Pats laid on the Titans back in 09. That was well deserved after the Harrison injury.

Can you imagine how dirty the Rams would have been with Fisher and Williams at the helm next year? Thankfully we probably won't have to worry about Williams for a while. He managed to hurt three of the greatest QBs ever in Warner, Favre, and Manning.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-03-2012 at 10:54 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    sorry but spygate doesnt come close to this. especially with all the **** the NFL is getting for concussions now.
    They destroyed the tapes and we never got to see the full extent of how far Spygate went.

I don't think they did it to just protect the Pats(they were the fall guy) I think it was widespread around the league and would introduce other scandals hence they ended it suspiciously so yes Goodell lacks credibility to me has for a long while though.

The NFL is a violent sport you can't really make it less violent no matter how many rule changes and concussion policies you enforce.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    How would that even work? Would it be too late to have a parade?
    It's never too late for a parade.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    They destroyed the tapes and we never got to see the full extent of how far Spygate went.

I don't think they did it to just protect the Pats(they were the fall guy) I think it was widespread around the league and would introduce other scandals hence they ended it suspiciously so yes Goodell lacks credibility to me has for a long while though.

The NFL is a violent sport you can't really make it less violent no matter how many rule changes and concussion policies you enforce.
    yeah the NFL is a violent sport, but it doesn't change the fact at how bad bounties are. Injuries resulting from hits are going to happen. Hitting players to purposely injure them should NEVER happen.

Spygate doesn't even come close to this. we are talking about the welfare of players here.

That was a bad move on Goodell's part IMHO. Although, that said... it seems to have worked out for him and had the effect he wanted so maybe a little coverup was good for the sport....

This is true but you can't have people blatantly trying to hurt opponents.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    That was a bad move on Goodell's part IMHO. Although, that said... it seems to have worked out for him and had the effect he wanted so maybe a little coverup was good for the sport....

This is true but you can't have people blatantly trying to hurt opponents.
    But that's the very nature of the sport to try and hurt opponents every player that joins the NFL knows this going in. Lip Service won't change it. Trust me you aren't hearing much outrage over the players etc for this reason its why Favre said he wasn't surprised and didn't care because he knows this is how it is in the NFL.

So to be faux outraged over this and not over Spygate makes Goodell look like a hypocrite to me here.

He makes the rules up as he goes here.

He's up there with Stern in that regard.

yeah the NFL is a violent sport, but it doesn't change the fact at how bad bounties are. Injuries resulting from hits are going to happen. Hitting players to purposely injure them should NEVER happen.

Spygate doesn't even come close to this. we are talking about the welfare of players here.

Except it does its dirty and unethical but its also the nature of the sport. If you think its bad now try the days of the 60s and 70s this was nothing and nobody cared back then.

Redskins are being investigated too.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1032504

I wonder how much that 2006 hit on Manning paid out? Williams must have offered a bonus if you ripped a guy's head off because that's clearly what they were trying to do to Manning. This scum should be banned for life. Like I said above, he is responsible for brutal hits to 3 of the greatest QB's of all time.

In the article I linked to in an earlier post, Manning said that "the guy wouldn't let go of my head. I looked at my helmet to see if my head was in it."

In 13 years, I don't think Manning ever said anything like that about a hit given to him by another player. That was clearly unlike anything he ever experienced. Those guys were clearly out for blood.

But that's the very nature of the sport to try and hurt opponents every player that joins the NFL knows this going in. Lip Service won't change it. Trust me you aren't hearing much outrage over the players etc for this reason its why Favre said he wasn't surprised and didn't care because he knows this is how it is in the NFL.

So to be faux outraged over this and not over Spygate makes Goodell look like a hypocrite to me here.

He makes the rules up as he goes here.

He's up there with Stern in that regard.
    Wait, its the nature of the sport to try and hurt opponents? Really? Pretty sure thats wrong and if you believe that, its just sad.

Except it does its dirty and unethical but its also the nature of the sport. If you think its bad now try the days of the 60s and 70s this was nothing and nobody cared back then.
    Once again hurting the opponent is NOT the nature of the sport. Nobody cared about a lot of things back in the 60s and 70s. Lets just go back to that right?

Wait, its the nature of the sport to try and hurt opponents? Really? Pretty sure thats wrong and if you believe that, its just sad.

Once again hurting the opponent is NOT the nature of the sport. Nobody cared about a lot of things back in the 60s and 70s. Lets just go back to that right?
    If you really think the NFL doesn't have serious dirt behind the scenes when it comes to who gets hit more than others as well as the severity of it then that's far sadder for you to believe.

If there are incentives for every sack, TD etc you don't think there's just as much an incentive for injuring a star player? I mean what about when players say "Our goal is to take a player out" what do you think that means exactly?

Like I said its dirty but not that surprising.

The NFL is a violent sport and its about stopping the opposition by any means necessary(within the field of course)

FWIW

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/....html&team=101

But Williams' system was in place with Redskins

By Brad Biggs

Former Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs says he had no knowledge of a bounty system that was in place with the team during his second stint with the team.

Gibbs told Mark Maske of the Washington Post he didn’t know that former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who was exposed Friday following an NFL investigation of a similar system with the New Orleans Saints, ran a bounty system with players in Washington.

“Just let me say this: I’m not aware of anything like this when I was coaching there,” Gibbs told Maske. “I would never ask a player to hurt another player. Never.”

If you really think the NFL doesn't have serious dirt behind the scenes when it comes to who gets hit more than others as well as the severity of it then that's far sadder for you to believe.

If there are incentives for every sack, TD etc you don't think there's just as much an incentive for injuring a star player? I mean what about when players say "Our goal is to take a player out" what do you think that means exactly?

The NFL is a violent sport and its about stopping the opposition by any means necessary(within the field of course)
    I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Our goal is to take a player out" except in regards to taking away a player's ability to play the game the way he would like (getting physical with a finesse player, daring a team to run because your defense is playing pass to negate a QB's arm or else trying to disguise defenses to minimize the damage a QB could do to your defense, double covering a player because you're not going to let him beat you...etc...

I do believe teams like to see their defense lay a good hit on someone... a good, solid, clean hit.... But not a season-ending or careering threatening dirty play where the intention was to hurt besides just making the play.

Things happen in the playing of the game and that is understood, but looking to do permanent damage besides just making the play is NOT part of the sport and never should be. And should be dealt with accordingly.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Who said I don't think the NFL doesn't have serious dirt behind the scenes? They have a massive steroid problem that no one talks about. Every league has dirt.

But you are saying the objective of the game is to hurt the opponent. Thats down right bull ****. Show me where in players contracts where they get bonuses for injuring players like they get bonuses for sacks or TDs.

You should never play the game with the purpose of hurting your opponent. Its not how the game is meant to be played. It also is reckless and not only are you going to hurt someone else, you will hurt yourself.

Trying to win by injuring the opponent is downright dirty and cowardly. Winning by scoring touchdowns and getting sacks is how the game is played. Thats why those who are good at that get rewarded with incentives like they should.

Purposely injuring players has no place in the NFL. Injuries should not be celebrated and certainly shouldn't be rewarded. We are talking about people's lives here. The game is already dangerous enough, no need to make it more dangerous through idiotic bounties.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Redskins are being investigated too.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1032504

I wonder how much that 2006 hit on Manning paid out? Williams must have offered a bonus if you ripped a guy's head off because that's clearly what they were trying to do to Manning. This scum should be banned for life. Like I said above, he is responsible for brutal hits to 3 of the greatest QB's of all time.

In the article I linked to in an earlier post, Manning said that "the guy wouldn't let go of my head. I looked at my helmet to see if my head was in it."

In 13 years, I don't think Manning ever said anything like that about a hit given to him by another player. That was clearly unlike anything he ever experienced. Those guys were clearly out for blood.
    It was amazing to see Peyton come back in the game after that hit. I thought he was dead when I watched it live.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    FWIW

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/....html&team=101

But Williams' system was in place with Redskins

By Brad Biggs

Former Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs says he had no knowledge of a bounty system that was in place with the team during his second stint with the team.

Gibbs told Mark Maske of the Washington Post he didn’t know that former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who was exposed Friday following an NFL investigation of a similar system with the New Orleans Saints, ran a bounty system with players in Washington.

“Just let me say this: I’m not aware of anything like this when I was coaching there,” Gibbs told Maske. “I would never ask a player to hurt another player. Never.”
    Gibbs did not have total control of the Redskins during his second tenure there, I know he was closely involved in the offense but after he close his ability to call plays he seemed somewhat like glorified mascot. And I don't mean that as an insult really because we all know Rick Carlisle was the brains behind coach Larry Bird. Doesn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Gibbs did not have total control of the Redskins during his second tenure there, I know he was closely involved in the offense but after he close his ability to call plays he seemed somewhat like glorified mascot. And I don't mean that as an insult really because we all know Rick Carlisle was the brains behind coach Larry Bird. Doesn't surprise me.
    Close? Did you mean lose? Because Gibbs did not lose his ability to call plays, Zorn did in that cluster of a experiment gone wrong, I dont recall that ever happening to Gibbs.

I would argue many coaches do not have complete control of the team. I am sure they are kept in the loop, but I doubt they sit in every meeting for the offense and defense.

That said, this kind of thing is hard to keep quiet. A bad look for Williams, and a bad look for the NFL. Like others have said, injuries are expected, but it is never expected for it it to be encouraged (for cripes sake, these guys do have a life after they retire)

If nothing else, it proves to me how cut throat these owners/TPTB are with these coaches. Win....or else. Not that I am excusing this trashy behavior one ioda

The NFL is being sued currently because players have suffered debilitating injuries after retirement. This is a lot worse than spygate because it means that the NFL brass allowed these types of bounties to occur. This will cost the NFL lots of money in the courts.

i think Williams is suspended no less than half the season and possibly the entire season, Payton 6 games, the Saints GM who was told to stop it and didn't half the season. Looking at big fines this coming season for hits that result in hurt players.
    All those guys still crying that they are ruining the game of football will be considered dinosaurs.