Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 72

Thread: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

  1. #1
    The Pac-Attack CompACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    387
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    Basically they have royally screwed themselves for years to come.

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...2_a2&eref=sihp

    NEW YORK (AP) -- New Orleans Saints players and at least one assistant coach maintained a bounty program the last three seasons for inflicting game-ending injuries on opposing players, including Brett Favre and Kurt Warner - a pool that reached as much as $50,000 and paid specific amounts for "cart-offs" and "knockouts," the NFL said Friday.

    The report said the pool amounts reached their height in 2009, the year the Saints won the Super Bowl.

    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1o0HaV3SK
    Apparently this went on in subsequent years (including last year). It's crazy that they got away with this for so long.
    Also - I'm guessing Peyton Manning and/or Tom Brady's bounty must've been off the charts.
    Last edited by CompACE; 03-02-2012 at 06:13 PM.

  2. #2
    Member Swingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    34
    Posts
    726

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    maybe they'll have to forfeit their super bowl win...

    that's just crazy though. this is a sport and they're promoting hurting other players...

  3. #3
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    They are in SERIOUS trouble over this. HUGE fines and loss of multiple draft picks at the very least. I would almost guarantee that Gregg Williams and maybe even Sean Payton will be suspended over this. People will look at this from the outside and think maybe this isn;t that big of a deal, but I would bet that everyone will be really surprised by the punishment handed down here.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    This used to be pretty common. Jerry Glanville did it all the time as coach of the Oilers and Falcons. But then the league was very specific about how it cannot go on, or else. We are about to find out "or else what"

    One possible punishment is loss of the franchise tag, which would make Brees a free agent.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...franchise-tag/

    They won't win the bidding war with the teams way under the cap.

    Then maybe they turn to.... hometown guy Peyton Manning??
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 03-02-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  5. #5
    A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Farmerstucky
    Posts
    1,229

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    Holy crap! I thought it was some kind of joke until I read the article!
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetimeís worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,764

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    Quote Originally Posted by CompACE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm guessing Peyton Manning and/or Tom Brady's bounty must've been off the charts.
    Didn't have to be. Porter knocked out Manning with his interception. Matter of fact, he knocked out the whole Colts team with that pick.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jerry Glanville did it all the time as coach of the Oilers and Falcons.
    When he wasn't waiting on Elvis to pick up his tickets at the will-call window.

  7. #7
    Dood. Ownagedood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,638

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I wouldn't be suprised to see Gregg Williams get suspended for a year, or worse. More reports coming out he did this before he came to the Saints as well.

  8. #8
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,016

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    Gregg Williams was also the DC of the Redskins when this happened:

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...5ONK_blog.html

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nBxHse5s74
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-02-2012 at 08:46 PM.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"



    I swear we are a cursed team


  10. #10
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,158
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    I don't think the Skins are going to get in any trouble over it. The Saints on the other hand better watch out.

    Gregg Williams I bet will get damn near the "death penalty" or at least a 2 season suspension since he seems to be the instigator and is an easy scapegoat.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    From Extremeskins

    Originally Posted by TK

    Whole lot of over reactionary idiots posting in here.

    The NFL ran an investigation on the Saints. Found out about the bounty system & said "stop this". The Saints didn't stop. That's why they're in deep

    The Skins aren't affected by this because there was no investigation here on it. Though the WP certainly isn't refraining from grinding their axe with this story to rile up the fan base.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    Quote Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    maybe they'll have to forfeit their super bowl win...

    that's just crazy though. this is a sport and they're promoting hurting other players...
    That would be pointless

    Besides this happens all this time this is just on record

    People seem to forget this happened with Buddy Ryan's Eagles in the 80's as well.

  13. #13
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,260

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    Will the NFL really taint one of their current media-darling teams, and a recent SB winner, with this type of negative issue and an uber-punitive response? ...Or will they downplay it and give them barely a slap on the wrist? A slap on the wrist would tell the general public it really wasn't that bad. A major penalty would send the opposite signal and put this on all the sports pages and shows.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  14. #14
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    No, it's gonna be a major penalty, I will wager right now it will be significantly more than the Patriots got for Spygate.

  15. #15
    The Pac-Attack CompACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    387
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Besides this happens all this time this is just on record
    People seem to forget this happened with Buddy Ryan's Eagles in the 80's as well.
    The point isn't that this has happened in the past. The NFL has been putting an emphasis on protecting players from injuries for the past few years, and what the Saints have been doing is a direct violation of that. The 80's were a different era. I agree that other teams could possibly be doing this right now... but the Saints got caught and now they'll have to deal with it.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CompACE For This Useful Post:


  17. #16
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,410

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    If I were Brees I would walk away.

  18. #17

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    Dungy says that the Titans had bounties on Peyton

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eyton-manning/

    another tidbit:

    Dungy explained during a 2011 preseason edition of Football Night in America that he believes a 2006 hit on Peyton Manning first caused his ongoing neck problems.

    The man delivering the hit? Phillip Daniels. His team? The Redskins.

    The defensive coordinator at the time? Gregg Williams, now with the Saints.

    edit: I now see that Sollozzao mentioned this above
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  19. #18
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, it's gonna be a major penalty, I will wager right now it will be significantly more than the Patriots got for Spygate.
    It absolutely will be. Peter King and Adam Schefter both said its more than a safe bet that the Saints will be punished much more harshly than the Patroits were.

  20. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,941

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will the NFL really taint one of their current media-darling teams, and a recent SB winner, with this type of negative issue and an uber-punitive response? ...Or will they downplay it and give them barely a slap on the wrist? A slap on the wrist would tell the general public it really wasn't that bad. A major penalty would send the opposite signal and put this on all the sports pages and shows.

    From what I have read tonight Goodell is PO'd.

    The NFL warns teams about this on a DAILY basis, with mass memos, and when he found out about this 3 years ago he told the Saints owner to stop it, ASAP.

    The owner went to the GM, who ignored the owner asking him to stop this practice.

    I have heard from quite a few people Goodell is livid, and this may be a bigger deal then spygate [if for no other reason then the direct disrespect of the commish] [last part my opinion]

  21. #20
    The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Carmel, IN/Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    476

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    The way I understood the ESPN article, basically everyone (including Sean Peyton) knew exactly what was going on and did nothing. This is gonna be franchise-ruining for the Saints.


    Carmel HS Class of 2011

  22. #21

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    Quote Originally Posted by CompACE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The point isn't that this has happened in the past. The NFL has been putting an emphasis on protecting players from injuries for the past few years, and what the Saints have been doing is a direct violation of that. The 80's were a different era. I agree that other teams could possibly be doing this right now... but the Saints got caught and now they'll have to deal with it.
    While that's a valid point I find it hard to take Goodell seriously when this is the same guy who swept Spygate under the rug.

    Don't get me wrong I didn't care about Spygate either as I think other teams do it as well the Pats were the ones to get caught however you sweep one "scandal" under the wrong but pound fists over another just seems hypocritical no?

  23. #22
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While that's a valid point I find it hard to take Goodell seriously when this is the same guy who swept Spygate under the rug.

    Don't get me wrong I didn't care about Spygate either as I think other teams do it as well the Pats were the ones to get caught however you sweep one "scandal" under the wrong but pound fists over another just seems hypocritical no?
    sorry but spygate doesnt come close to this. especially with all the **** the NFL is getting for concussions now.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  25. #23
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    You know what I learned today? That $750,000 in fines and loss of draft picks is the same thing as sweeping it under a rug.

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  27. #24
    The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Carmel, IN/Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    476

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know what I learned today? That $750,000 in fines and loss of draft picks is the same thing as sweeping it under a rug.
    They destroyed the tapes and allowed no other party to review it. Not sweeping it under the rug, but they concluded it suspiciously (IMO)


    Carmel HS Class of 2011

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to neosmndrew For This Useful Post:


  29. #25
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,631

    Default Re: Saints violated NFL's "Bounty Rule"

    Well, the NFL could just go the eye-for-an-eye route and fund a bounty pool for any Saints player knocked out this year...
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

Similar Threads

  1. Howard Mudd lends a hand to the Saints
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 02:53 PM
  2. 1200 could lose Saints season tickets
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 04:06 AM
  3. New Orleans Media growing weary of Saints arrogance
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 08:16 PM
  4. The Saints are Dirty
    By Lance George in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 09:48 PM
  5. Saints have more luck than the Colts
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 04:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •