Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Lakers interested in AJ Price?

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks for misquoting me! What I said is not relevant is the idea that A.J. was only getting minutes recently because Hill was hurt. The reason this is not relevant looking ahead is that Vogel has said he is going to play A.J. at point guard and George Hill at shooting guard for the time being.

"Vogel said before the game that he plans to use A.J. Price as the backup PG and Hill as the backup SG for the time being. That means the few Lance Stephenson was getting will likely decrease even more barring a blowout."

Mike Wells -- http://www.sulia.com/channel/basketb...source=twitter

While it's true that A.J. did play more during the five-game losing streak with Hill out, he has played even more during the current five-game winning streak: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4657/gamelog.

I think the Pacers are better right now with a second string backcourt of Hill and Price than Hill and Stephenson. Obviously, the Pacers were worse off without Hill in the mix at all when he was hurt. Duh. I don't think that is a surprise or that you can blame that on A.J.
    Any misquoting is a technical flaw. I never mentioned Lance. I said the comment was relevant to the conversation we are having, and explained why.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lakers interested in AJ Price?

I can't see how trading AJ, a second round pick who actually turned out decent, for a second round pick, which we could only hope would turn out decent, would be even slightly beneficial to us.

Unless Lance is just waiting to explode onto the scene.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Banned

Ok so I think is fair to say that if they are not willing to give a pick for Sessions they are not giving a pick for AJ right?

Quote:
    Sam Amico ‏ @SamAmicoFSO
    Yes. I heard same earlier today. RT @mnanez5280 Hear anything about Lakers unwilling to give pick for Sessions as LA Times is reporting?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Ok so I think is fair to say that if they are not willing to give a pick for Sessions they are not giving a pick for AJ right?
    I'd say that's fair.

But I don't know how the heck they think they're gonna get Sessions. You think teams are lining up trying to snag Kapono?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I'd say that's fair.

But I don't know how the heck they think they're gonna get Sessions. You think teams are lining up trying to snag Kapono?
    The Lakers have a trade exception that they could use to get Sessions, all Cleveland is asking for is a pick plus cap space but it looks like the Lakers are only willing to give them one of the two things they are asking for.

The Lakers front management has been odd, in general, so who knows what they'll do. They really need a point guard though. And I'm sure "solid and smart" sounds pretty good..

I think for AJ, this would be a good situation. He's young, and he's a better point guard than Blake and Fisher. And he's the type of PG you want to stick next to a guy like Kobe. And seeing as he's apparently the only guy Josh has kept in touch with, he wouldn't be surrounded with completely new teammates.

I don't think he has a future with the Pacers. And even if Larry would want to sign him. I think AJ's smart enough to know that it was for "insurance"reasons, and he'd likely have to wait an entire half a season to play again.

He's undervalued by some people. Particularly in the last 8 or 9 games. He's been REALLY good. Enough so that teams might notice him. I don't know that he'll keep it up, but I think consistency has been AJ's problem so far. (Well, along with injuries.) If he can continue to play as well as he had, of course team's are going to be interested. Recently He's been playing as an "at worst good backup PG." Any team would want that. Oh yea, and he's dirt cheap. (and he's so cheap that even if he goes to the Lakers and plays well, what's another team going to offer him? At the absolute most five million..okay so the Lakers offer him 2 and he stays because it's the Lakers..)

The Lakers are looking to shed salary? Maybe Kapono and Blake or Fisher for Price would be fair. We'd get a shooter and a backup point guard (which we'd still need, IMO, if we traded Price), they'd get a point guard and shed some salary.

If they wouldn't trade a pick for Sessions, then the only way I see them trading a pick for Price is if we take back Walton or Artest. I don't see us doing either.

Edit: BTW, you can't get rid of me unless Frank and PG go. :P
    Last edited by Sookie; 03-02-2012 at 11:00 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

I'd rather just hold on to AJ and draft for a better back up this summer.

Besides, despite an awful start, AJ has been playing some good ball lately.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

AJ + 2nd for 1st?

Mood

Is it just me or weren't the Lakers dumb to let Farmar walk

Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    Is it just me or weren't the Lakers dumb to let Farmar walk
    They got Steve Blake to replace him, but neither of them have been very productive. Farmar is rotting on Nets bench and Blake is just not that good anymore.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    They got Steve Blake to replace him, but neither of them have been very productive. Farmar is rotting on Nets bench and Blake is just not that good anymore.
    Steve Blake has been terrible and Farmar has been a good 6th man for NJ, he's better and younger then Blake and Fisher are

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    I strongly disagree, AJ is better than you and others give him credit for. He's easily replace by a D league player? BULL. 3rd or 4th PG? Hello he is currently the 2nd PG on a very good team, did you not notice?

I don't know what the TPTB have planned for AJ, he makes 854,389 and 1,060,120 next year, you really think we are going to get better production much cheaper than that.

Of course there are gems picked in the 2nd round every year. Not because some team has vastly superior scouts than another team. All the picks are educated guesses, sometimes they luck out. If these scouts you are talking about were geniuses, guys like Scola, Manu, Gortat and Sessions would not have slipped to the 2nd round in the first place.

The 2nd round is a crap shoot, always has been, regardless of good scouting. Heck the first round is a crap shoot, half the guys took in the lottery every year will be busts.

Half the guys took in the last half of the 1st round will not be on a NBA team in a few years, yet you seem to think it's so easy to pick a winner every time.
    It isnt easy per say,but it is defiantly easy to replace AJ in free agency or draft. The pg position needs an upgrade and we defiantly will be in the market for one in free agency and currently Mike James is a free agent along with Arenas. The Lakers arent stupid they will probably end up giving nothing away and picking up Arenas or James.

I see the Pacers going after a Ramon Sessions who has a PO which he will likley turn down. Now I ask who you would rather have Sessions for MLE money or AJ for 1 or 2 million for me that is easy Sessions is a upgrade on both sides of the ball and worth the money.

Raymond Felton is a free agent I expect us to make a play I think Vogel would restore his confidence. He would probably be my first option he or Sessions.

Dragic is another option in free agency not a huge fan but he would be a upgrade he is basically the same mold as Price except he is a much better shooter and at getting to the basket.

I think it is silly to think Price is still the backup next year he is only the backup pg because Larry though Lance and George Hill were a position they are not.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO O
    Doing the twitter thing JonnyB83
    Also JonnyB83 on facebook....we should be friends!

In addition to his on-floor contributions, A.J. Price seems like a consummate professional off the court and a great teammate on the bench. Whenever a Pacer highlight is recorded on the court and they show the bench reaction, the biggest cheerleaders are consistently Dahntay Jones and A.J. Price. Does that mean we shouldn't look to upgrade the spot? No, clearly not. But we could do a lot worse than A.J. Price.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    It isnt easy per say,but it is defiantly easy to replace AJ in free agency or draft. The pg position needs an upgrade and we defiantly will be in the market for one in free agency and currently Mike James is a free agent along with Arenas. The Lakers arent stupid they will probably end up giving nothing away and picking up Arenas or James.

I see the Pacers going after a Ramon Sessions who has a PO which he will likley turn down. Now I ask who you would rather have Sessions for MLE money or AJ for 1 or 2 million for me that is easy Sessions is a upgrade on both sides of the ball and worth the money.

Raymond Felton is a free agent I expect us to make a play I think Vogel would restore his confidence. He would probably be my first option he or Sessions.

Dragic is another option in free agency not a huge fan but he would be a upgrade he is basically the same mold as Price except he is a much better shooter and at getting to the basket.

I think it is silly to think Price is still the backup next year he is only the backup pg because Larry though Lance and George Hill were a position they are not.
    i don't think any of this is going to happen. either now or next summer. sessions, felton, dragic are just guys. the same as DC only different skill sets. any new PG will be an upgrade like jennings, rondo, wall or parker. guys that are 'top 10', but not 'top 5'. DC and AJ are both good enough, but they are not great. pacers seem to be looking for a serious upgrade, not just a different guy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

We're still arguing the same thing. You still say it's just so butt simple to replace AJ. D-League, free agent, random 2nd rounder, random dude from local YMCA game. It's just not that simple. You just see the grass as always greener on the other side.

My view, AJ is a gamer, he just knows how to play, even if he shoots a little to much some times. He blew his knee out before his senior season, one reason he was 2nd rounder to begin with. After his rookie season he tore his patella, was still ready for training camp. He's been wrote off every season and has still fought his way into the rotation, I admire that and think it means something.

He's probably the healthiest he's been since he's been in the NBA. His ceiling is not sky high, but he can and will get better. He's knows the Pacers' system, has played with all the guys for a while, that gives him a leg up right off the bat to some random other PG.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I haven't been able to get through this entire thread, my my two cents is that A.J. is probably far more valuable for us than what others want to give for him.

A second round pick is in no way enough for A.J. A late first or some kind of package would have to be the scenario.

A.J. is a solid contributor who has proven that he can step up and make a difference in the playoffs. You'll find that player in the second round one time out of a hundred.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

22. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    We'll just have to agree to disagree.

We're still arguing the same thing. You still say it's just so butt simple to replace AJ. D-League, free agent, random 2nd rounder, random dude from local YMCA game. It's just not that simple. You just see the grass as always greener on the other side.

My view, AJ is a gamer, he just knows how to play, even if he shoots a little to much some times. He blew his knee out before his senior season, one reason he was 2nd rounder to begin with. After his rookie season he tore his patella, was still ready for training camp. He's been wrote off every season and has still fought his way into the rotation, I admire that and think it means something.

He's probably the healthiest he's been since he's been in the NBA. His ceiling is not sky high, but he can and will get better. He's knows the Pacers' system, has played with all the guys for a while, that gives him a leg up right off the bat to some random other PG.
    Right there is the reason the Pacer aren't gonna trade him and will just let him expire or try to give him a cheap contract to be the 3rd string pg. I dont view the grass is always greener I just watch a lot of basketball and IMO there are much better options as a backup pg and next year I would be shocked if AJ is the main backup. I still think if we brought in Mike James to compete with AJ for the backup role by the playoffs James would be the backup.

Also whoever said AJ proved he can help and make a difference in the playoffs is wrong. Go back and watch the tape the dude was awful in almost every aspect of the game in the playoffs last year.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    In addition to his on-floor contributions, A.J. Price seems like a consummate professional off the court and a great teammate on the bench. Whenever a Pacer highlight is recorded on the court and they show the bench reaction, the biggest cheerleaders are consistently Dahntay Jones and A.J. Price. Does that mean we shouldn't look to upgrade the spot? No, clearly not. But we could do a lot worse than A.J. Price.
    Great a cheerleader what we always needed, lol again like what i said before once he starts playing bad again people will be like we should have traded him while we could, in 21 min vs NO he went 1-5, and 1-4 from 3, 3 assist and 2 turnovers, I think you guys are really overvaluing him, he is worth more than the last pick of the 2nd round but definitely not worth a first, In all honesty the only players that could be traded for a 1st in the early 20's in this years draft on our team are PG, Danny, Roy, and Dwest, possibly GH
    Why so SERIOUS

Right there is the reason the Pacer aren't gonna trade him and will just let him expire or try to give him a cheap contract to be the 3rd string pg. I dont view the grass is always greener I just watch a lot of basketball and IMO there are much better options as a backup pg and next year I would be shocked if AJ is the main backup. I still think if we brought in Mike James to compete with AJ for the backup role by the playoffs James would be the backup.

Also whoever said AJ proved he can help and make a difference in the playoffs is wrong. Go back and watch the tape the dude was awful in almost every aspect of the game in the playoffs last year.
    Except he wasn't, he played very well except for a three minute stretch in game 2. He actually played what was probably the best point guard play we've seen in years during crunch time of that same game.

If Price keeps up his play during the past 10 games (yes, I know he shot poorly last night, but he still played well) for the rest of the season, ANY team would take him. Backup point guards aren't as good as you make them out to be, and when AJ's playing well, he's easily one of the better ones.
    Last edited by Sookie; 03-04-2012 at 11:19 AM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Let's just use the Lakers own logic before we start discarding AJ.

I hear stuff like this...
    It isnt easy per say,but it is defiantly easy to replace AJ in free agency or draft.
    And think "then why don't the Lakers just do it that way"?

AJ is not a starter, but he IS filling his role pretty well. Enough that other teams would like him to fill that role for them too. That tells me that he's not easy to replace and that if you move him then you are in the same spot the Lakers are in, unless you have surplus you can count on.

So then the Lance debates kick in, but for the 2nd year in a row Lance has been given a solid role off the bench and ended up losing it. Not at the hands of crazy JOB, but at the hands of Vogel who has shown lots of interest in developing the younger players.

If AJ is easy to replace then why not trade Lance to the Lakers instead and get an even better pick than AJ gets you (if Lance truly is better/more valuable than AJ). And if the Lakers don't want Lance, and Vogel has decided that for now AJ is helping more, then why do you want to risk derailing where this team is at for a minimal return on AJ?

You trade AJ + Lou for an upgrade at big, you don't trade AJ for a 2nd round pick. That's literally taking money out of your wallet and just throwing it on the ground.

This team barely has enough to get by. It can't give up any of the top 6 assets without getting a clear improvement back, and it's even risky giving away Tyler, DJones or AJ at this point.

The asset the Pacers have is what makes Kaman a better fit - cap space. They need one more body, and if you have to give one to get one that doesn't help.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    The irony of all this talk of late 2nd rounders is that AJ is a late 2nd rounder himself (53rd overall in 2009). Yes, I know how rare it is to get a useful player there, but Price himself is proof that it can be done.
    Yeah, I find it humorous that so many would trade AJ for a second round pick, who is more than likely destined to become...............AJ.

Guys, I think Price gives the team very much what they need from him. He is solid on the floor, does not complain about playing time or "touches", and seems to fit well with the other guys.

Heck, if you want another second round pick next year, just buy one. Probably could be had pretty cheaply.

Well, I think the Lakers own logic is simply - we need a freaking point guard.

After the rust came off, AJ's played pretty well. Probably better than Fisher's corpse and Blake...He's also the type of point you'd stick next to Kobe. (Like Chalmers or heck Fisher) He doesn't need to the ball in his hands, knows how to make really good post entry passes, and knows how to make reads to get himself open when his teammates get into trouble.

All that stuff fits on a team with good post players and a star guard who wants the ball in his hands.

he is worth more than the last pick of the 2nd round but definitely not worth a first,
    At the very least you demand a pick that on average has the same NBA PER over 4-5 years as AJ has had. That's not a 2nd round pick. Nearly all 2nd round picks end up entirely out of the NBA.

I'd have to go pull the articles on this, but several studies have been done (and posted here) showing what you expect from a pick. T-bird or Count55 did one even IIRC.

And "bench PG who plays 5-10 mpg" fall around 23rd-26th by my memory. Stars are 1-5, period. Starters are 6-12. Bench is 13-18. The rest is random fodder to fill out rosters. The 2nd round is for non-NBA players.

The exceptions do not change this any more than the top 5 busts change the rule about where most stars come from. Danny and Roy at 17 are exceptions, AJ deep 2nd round is a massive steal.

People just forget all the duds in the 20-30 pick range because they get forgotten once they don't make a roster. You only remember the guys that do make a team.

I'm just not interested in trading Price for a pick that gets you Wayne Ellington, Demarre Carroll, Victor Claver or Christian Eyenga. We don't need Mardy Collison or Maurice Ager. Those are the 50% risks you run if you trade AJ for a 20-30 pick. You might get a guy giving you as much (maybe 20%) and you might get a guy that gives you more (30%) but it's not a favorable gamble.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 03-04-2012 at 11:38 AM.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Well, I think the Lakers own logic is simply - we need a freaking point guard.

After the rust came off, AJ's played pretty well. Probably better than Fisher's corpse and Blake...He's also the type of point you'd stick next to Kobe. (Like Chalmers or heck Fisher) He doesn't need to the ball in his hands, knows how to make really good post entry passes, and knows how to make reads to get himself open when his teammates get into trouble.

All that stuff fits on a team with good post players and a star guard who wants the ball in his hands.
    Yeah, but I think the Pacers do too. I think there is high risk in relying on Lance at this point. At best he's got a future and you are developing him with AJ to hold the maturity fort down, at worst he doesn't help any more than AJ does ever and you just gave up critical help in a realistic chase for an ECF run.

The team can't afford a shuffle, the need a full-on addition.