Thread: President Obama on the BS Report

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Default President Obama on the BS Report

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...t-barack-obama

He talks NBA, the Bulls, football, Lin, The Wire, and some other things. No politics. It's about 25 minutes.

Didn't really think BS would ever get Obama, at least during the presidency. Seems like he really has kept up with the league. Anyways, a cool perspective from a fan of the team we handed their first home loss to.

Last edited by AesopRockOn; 03-01-2012 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Video.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Default Re: President Obama on the BS Report

Great episode. Glad to see Sports Guy finally got his man after ESPN blocked the first interview in 2008.

The President knows his s***.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've never been a big politics guy, but I've just always liked Obama. Dude is always so smooth, and always seems to have a good grasp at whatever topic he's talking about.

The whole "being a Bulls fan" thing.....I'll let that slide.

Obama definitely knows his sports.

Simmons has been scoring some massive interviews lately. Larry Bird, Obama.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, Simmons has spent his career building capital with some pretty solid journalism. I didn't used to like him much because of his homerism, but once you set that aside, you realize he's just a fan of his teams like the rest of us. Besides, letting your homer flag fly is much better than being a closet homer like most of the sports writers out there. When you build up a reputation like that, it's only a matter of time before you start scoring some REALLY good interviews. That BS report with Bird is one of the best basketball interviews ever.
    Last edited by travmil; 03-03-2012 at 09:38 AM.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, Simmons has spent his career building capital with some pretty solid journalism. I didn't used to like him much because of his homerism, but once you set that aside, you realize he's just a fan of his teams like the rest of us. Besides, letting your homer flag fly is much better than being a closet homer like most of the sports writers out there. When you build up a reputation like that, it's only a matter of time before you start scoring some REALLY good interviews. That BS report with Bird is one of the best basketball interviews ever.

I agree. He really is a pioneer with his style. Writing on a national scale with the perspective of a biased fan is a something that not many people had done. But Simmons has been very successful at it. I like the fact that he is a homer. It makes him authentic.

I didn't like him back in the mid-2000's, but all I knew him as was the guy who really really hated the Colts. But then I actually started to read all of his comments and I realized that he was just a biased fan like the rest of us who happened to be a damn good writer. Plus he toned down on the Colts hate as the years went by and lately has shown nothing for respect and admiration for Manning.

I don't like Simmons, I won't get into it..but I don't.

Obama...I've had a full fledged crush on the guy after I heard him sing...

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I don't like Simmons, I won't get into it..but I don't.
    Get into it, please. I'm interested to hear your perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Get into it, please. I'm interested to hear your perspective.
    He's a misogynist. Like, blatantly. I was so surprised that he actually printed what Obama said about women's sports.

It's sports, and I expect a bit of it, and it's why I tend to not get into something like this on a message board made up of men who are mainly interested in men's sports. But Simmon's goes beyond my limit. I'd even be more open to some of his arguments if he actually did his research and came up with good ones..

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

He's a misogynist. Like, blatantly. I was so surprised that he actually printed what Obama said about women's sports.

It's sports, and I expect a bit of it, and it's why I tend to not get into something like this on a message board made up of men who are mainly interested in men's sports. But Simmon's goes beyond my limit. I'd even be more open to some of his arguments if he actually did his research and came up with good ones..
    Is this based on his view of the WNBA? I think I tend to agree mostly with your assessment. However, he had a fascinating podcast at one point with someone about allowing women to play in the NBA. The conversation came out of the terrific season Maya Moore had (last year? not sure). I also remember a very interesting conversation he had with James Blake, the tennis player, in which he asked Blake if he felt he could beat Serena Williams. I was shocked by how confident Blake seemed.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I may be wrong, but I think he is married to a (former?) WNBA player

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Is this based on his view of the WNBA? I think I tend to agree mostly with your assessment. However, he had a fascinating podcast at one point with someone about allowing women to play in the NBA. The conversation came out of the terrific season Maya Moore had (last year? not sure). I also remember a very interesting conversation he had with James Blake, the tennis player, in which he asked Blake if he felt he could beat Serena Williams. I was shocked by how confident Blake seemed.

Not just the WNBA, although his arguments against that are about as uninformed as you can get..but women's sports..and quite frankly women in general.

I also think that, although he knows the sport, he's way too biased for being a writer. And I say that knowing all columnists are biased.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I agree. He really is a pioneer with his style. Writing on a national scale with the perspective of a biased fan is a something that not many people had done. But Simmons has been very successful at it. I like the fact that he is a homer. It makes him authentic.

I didn't like him back in the mid-2000's, but all I knew him as was the guy who really really hated the Colts. But then I actually started to read all of his comments and I realized that he was just a biased fan like the rest of us who happened to be a damn good writer. Plus he toned down on the Colts hate as the years went by and lately has shown nothing for respect and admiration for Manning.
    This is how I was with Bill. I thought he was just the Pats/Celtics homer that wrote for ESPN. I did not give him much thought until a friend of mine told me to read his articles with the thought he is just a fan like you. He just roots for a different set of laundry.

Ever since then I put his homerism to the side and I love almost everything he has done. His book was fantastic, Grantland is great, and most of his articles are really funny and good to read.

This podcast was fantastic and is just nice to hear Obama without all the noise of politics and media.

Not just the WNBA, although his arguments against that are about as uninformed as you can get..but women's sports..and quite frankly women in general.

I also think that, although he knows the sport, he's way too biased for being a writer. And I say that knowing all columnists are biased.
    I always thought his view on women's view on sports was ridiculous. I think a guest called him on it once as well. Why does he just assume women are these creatures that need attention constantly, hate sports, hate watching sports, and want nothing more thanto glare at you when you watch sports? That's always seemed absurd to me.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think he is married to a (former?) WNBA player
    Is he really? Sadly, I know her name: Kari Crichton (now, obviously, Simmons).