Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

Default Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

During one of the cupcake games I made the statement that I wasn’t as impressed with the win as many of you were. Well tonight is opposite night I guess, I am far more impressed with this win than some of you are.

We call the Wizards, Bobcats & the Nets chicken soup. I don’t consider Golden State Chicken soup. They are more of a hot & spicy soup and if you aren’t careful you can get burned.

Several things to like about this game, which we will cover some of here in a little bit but one thing that I really liked was that we came out with a plan, took it to the Warriors and then proceeded to dismantle them until there was nothing left. Don’t let the final score fool you; we could have won by 40 if Frank didn’t set the starters down at the end of the third quarter. So many times we get a lead and then let teams get right back in it. Well the bench did let them get right back in it tonight but for one of the rare times this season the bench also self corrected and then drove the lead right back up to ten.

Then came the onslaught in the third quarter. This may very well have been the best quarter of basketball we have played all season long. There wasn’t one person who played during that time for us that didn’t contribute and do severe damage to the Warriors.

While the wins have come over some soft teams the great news is we did take care of business and we have wiped out that five game losing streak in the standings. Tonight were going with the good, the bad & the ugly.

The Good:

Paul George: Good is not a good enough word to describe the game that Paul George had tonight. Superb is a better word, excellent is also a better word, but I think we will go with other-worldly (yes I’m making that one word). Paul George was just a one man gang to the Warriors in the third quarter and he put on a perimeter defensive display that frankly I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Pacer do before. We talked about this after the game and Artest might have had a time where he played great individual defense and was able to shut off great perimeter players, but honest to God I’ve never seen a Pacer (to the best of my memory) shut down an entire team with his perimeter defense before. He completely destroyed Monta Ellis in the third quarter and made Mark Jackson wave the white flag after the third. This was not only the best game of the season from Paul this was his best game ever and frankly that third quarter might very well have been the best defensive performance by a Pacers guard that I have ever seen. Not only did he play defensive player of the year good defense during this game he also stuffed the stats with 9 rebounds, 5 assists and 11 points (two of which would have won him the slam dunk contest if he would have just done that). I can’t say enough how great Paul was during this game.

Tyler Hansbrough: When your backup power forward gets you 15 points & 9 rebounds in 25 minutes you are happy with that. When he gets the exact same stats in 16 minutes you are ecstatic. If he hadn’t missed his last three free throw attempts he would have had 18 points in 16 min. There is no doubt that his struggles have hurt the team this year. But the last two games he has been playing outstanding basketball (for him). Now I understand that this is a team that he certainly has some physical size on so he should play good, well he did. Mission accomplished. Tyler usually is an offensive force (when he is on) but tonight not only did he do very well offensively but he also rebounded right out of the gate tying both George & Hibbert for the team lead. If he could just give us ĺ of this game every game then we would be a true force (beyond what we are).

Roy Hibbert: Dominant is the word that comes to mind when I think about Roy in this game. He was just toying with the Warriors tonight, they had nobody & I mean nobody that could do anything to him. If there was every a question if Biedrins could guard Roy then it was answered with a resounding no tonight. I know Golden State likes to go small but Roy made them go early & often to the small lineup because they could not go at him one on one & even going small did not help them at all. He now has put together 3 great games in a row. Also now would be a good time to remind everybody that we turned old broke down Jermaine O'Neal into Roy Hibbert. You know the same Roy Hibbert who just played in the all-star game.

Danny Granger: It was great to see Danny get a good game under his belt again. I guess he just needs to play the Warriors all the time as for whatever reason the rim seems to expand for him when he plays them. So let me make sure I got this right. Danny Granger has scored 51 points on 34 shot attempts while Monta Ellis has scored 39 points on 39 shots. Oh yes, also the Pacer won both games. No, I don’t think we will be entertaining that idea ever again. Also while he did not play at the level George played, Danny did a very good job himself of deflecting the ball and actually getting a couple of steals.

Frankly I could just list every starter and include Dahntay Jones in the Good as well, but I’m running super short on time tonight. So let’s just say that all of the starters played great, Tyler, A.J., George & Dahntay played either good or great off of the bench and leave it at that.

The Bad:

3-22 from the three point line. That is what the Warriors did tonight. Some of that was good defense from the Pacers as they did close out on several shooters. But a lot of that was just shots that were not falling. Since they chose to go small ball then when the shots didn’t drop the Pacers were gobbling up the rebounds (again don’t let the fact that we only outrebounded them by 9 fool you, a lot of those boards came in the 4th when we went to our deep bench). In fact if it wasn’t for Rush hitting 2-4 from there they would have sunk 1 three point shot. I can’t tell you how thrilled I am that we no longer play like that. However I will freely admit that when the shots drop, which on occasion they will, teams like this have a punchers chance which is why they kind of scared me going in.

Lou Amundson: Good God Lou just had a bad second half. No hate involved here because he was large and in charge in our last game before the break vs. the Bobcats. But I can’t let this game go without commenting. Also while I won’t put him down as having a bad game I’ll just say that I don’t think that was Jeff Foster’s best 11 min. of time on the floor either.

The Ugly:

12,111 was the announced attendance. I’m calling B.S. on that one, it was less than that. They may have had that many tickets sold (which is in itself a joke because I think tonight was a two for one night) but we got to the game and walked up the stairs right at 7:03 and they gave us the all-star posters and told us to take as many as we wanted. The problem was that the first 6 thousand people were supposed to get those posters. This tells me they either ordered more than they thought or by the time we hit the game 6 K people had not gone through the doors. Now there were some late arrivals tonight but there weren’t that many. What made matters worse was that Herb Simon was in the house for the game. I hate for him to come in and see that few of people there. We’ve talked before about what is it going to take to get people to the games and frankly at this point in time I’m not sure there is a real answer.

Conrad Brunner: No, not his physical features. Tonight he made it so that I could barely watch the first seven min. of the game and cause me to have my poor ticket rep running across the lower concourse on a search mission. Why you may ask? He tweeted that Dale Davis was at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. He did not correct his mistake until after I had searched every single seat in the lower level and had my poor rep out of breath from trying to find him in the suites or V.I.P. seating. Curse you Brunner for getting my hopes up like that.

Ok, great game. 5 game winning streak. Now let’s go get the Hornets and make this a 6 game streak heading into Chicago.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

I liked your post simply because you said "Dale Davis."

And had I known Conrad tweeted that, I'd have been running around looking for Dale, too. You don't just tweet something like that without knowing it for a fact, Bruno!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Winning against sub-.500 teams is a good sign that this team is rising into elite status. Elite teams are expected to win games against these kinds of teams so I'm really happy that the Pacers are taking advantage of the current schedule and beating weaker teams. It's a far cry from the last few years, when even at weaker teams we are getting anxious if they can beat them.

Like what I've been saying before, the only thing that I'm waiting for this team to do is to consistently win ball games and have prolonged win streaks while keeping losing streaks as short as possible. Teams like Chicago, Miami and San Antonio can make 7-game win streaks easily and does not have long losing skids that put them at an advantage in the standings.

I just adore your period witticisms. (Booming voice) "Caaaaan youuuuuu dig it?!"
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel

When the time comes for us to re-sign Paul, I just really hope that we are able to keep him around, he is going to be a special player.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Another excellent write-up from Peck... I was also very pleased to see Hansbrough being aggressive on the boards from the start. I think that's a big part of his game in the NBA and it has been severely lacking in the past couple of months.

PG's play was an absolute thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Paul George: He completely destroyed Monta Ellis in the third quarter and made Mark Jackson wave the white flag after the third.

Danny Granger: Danny Granger has scored 51 points on 34 shot attempts while Monta Ellis has scored 39 points on 39 shots. Oh yes, also the Pacer won both games. No, I donít think we will be entertaining that idea ever again.
    There is your answer, right there, Peck.

Granger didn't have George guarding him, Ellis did!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Scary thought... this song was playing in my head during the game after we rested the starters.

I'm left wondering why you would have your ticket rep running around tracking Dale Davis for you?

Also I noticed that Bird was not in the house but Mel was. I wonder if Bird was hiding a bit because attendance was so bad? Also I dont' know if you ever notice but Bird and Morway do not talk at the games and in fact sit a row apart. Tonight Morway sat next to Herb and they barely said a word. What gives. It thought these guys were all good ol'boys with each other. Also you never see these guys cheering at all. Contrast this with Guys like Mark Cuban...
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Also I noticed that Bird was not in the house but Mel was. I wonder if Bird was hiding a bit because attendance was so bad?
    I find that more than a little unlikely.

Also I dont' know if you ever notice but Bird and Morway do not talk at the games and in fact sit a row apart. Tonight Morway sat next to Herb and they barely said a word. What gives. It thought these guys were all good ol'boys with each other. Also you never see these guys cheering at all. Contrast this with Guys like Mark Cuban...
    Cuban's an outlier. Seems odd to criticize the management for sitting and watching the game instead of chatting and yukking it up... isn't that what we WANT people to do? Watch the game instead of talk the whole time?

They see each other every day. If I take one of the guys from my office to a game, I'm gonna be watching the game. Water cooler talk can wait for the water cooler.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

Several things to like about this game, which we will cover some of here in a little bit but one thing that I really liked was that we came out with a plan, took it to the Warriors and then proceeded to dismantle them until there was nothing left. Donít let the final score fool you; we could have won by 70 if Frank didnít set the starters down at the end of the third quarter. So many times we get a lead and then let teams get right back in it. Well the bench did let them get right back in it tonight but for one of the rare times this season the bench also self corrected and then drove the lead right back up to ten.
    The Ugly:

12,111 was the announced attendance. Iím calling B.S. on that one, it was less than that. They may have had that many tickets sold (which is in itself a joke because I think tonight was a two for one night) but we got to the game and walked up the stairs right at 7:03 and they gave us the all-star posters and told us to take as many as we wanted. The problem was that the first 6 thousand people were supposed to get those posters. This tells me they either ordered more than they thought or by the time we hit the game 6 K people had not gone through the doors. Now there were some late arrivals tonight but there werenít that many. What made matters worse was that Herb Simon was in the house for the game. I hate for him to come in and see that few of people there. Weíve talked before about what is it going to take to get people to the games and frankly at this point in time Iím not sure there is a real answer.
    FIFY

Also, I believe next Tuesday is the IMCU "2 for Tuesday" promo, I didn't think that was available last night. Could be wrong though.

By the way, really enjoyed the post. Nicely done.

Regarding the crowd, I'm noticing a disturbing trend. I live about 2 hours away, and money is pretty tight. Ergo, I only make it to 5-10 regular season games a year, and typically all of the playoffs (Been pretty affordable the past few years ). This season I've had the fortune of attending 4 games due to ridiculously inexpensive tickets. However, when I go to games I really get into them. Here's a few of the things I do:

If no one's view is blocked, I like to stand the whole game.

Chant "DE FENSE!"

Yell "GO TO WORK BIG FELLA!" when Roy is battling

Yell "THIS GAME JUST GOT A WHOLE LOT MORE INTANGIBL-EY!" when Tyler checks in

Jump up and down when someone dunks

Cheer raucously when someone hits a three

Yell "GREAT EFFORT" when the team makes a nice play and comes down the court

Now, I NEVER use profanity, always yell "up" so I'm not screaming in someones ear, never yell angrily etc. I'm enjoying myself, and want to make it fun. Also, I talk to the people around me during timeouts, and genuinely ask if I am making the game less enjoyable to just give me a tap on the shoulder.

However, recently I've noticed these posers who come in late, never cheer, and glare at people who cheer. In fact, at the New Jersey game 2 weeks ago, some guy said "Give it a rest, morons." when myself and some random guy laughingly asked Joey if he didn't call a foul at the end of the quarter when Ariza tackled Dahntay because it wasn't a horse-collar tackle. Didn't scream, were laughing, people around us were having a good time, but this fool is here to quietly eat ice cream and text.

Really is ridiculous. If you want quiet, go to a library. Cheering is something that makes live games so much fun.

/rant

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Scary thought... this song was playing in my head during the game after we rested the starters.

One of my favorite 80's songs ever. BANG! BANG!

I also enjoy Love is a Battlefield.

Liked for The Warriors clip, and also because we are on a nice 5 game winning streak.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I find that more than a little unlikely.

Cuban's an outlier. Seems odd to criticize the management for sitting and watching the game instead of chatting and yukking it up... isn't that what we WANT people to do? Watch the game instead of talk the whole time?

They see each other every day. If I take one of the guys from my office to a game, I'm gonna be watching the game. Water cooler talk can wait for the water cooler.
    I don't mean it as a criticism, I just find it odd. I mean they will literally ignore each other the entire game.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    ... this fool is here to quietly eat ice cream and text.
    Gee, thought that you were describing me anytime during the 3rd quarter.... minus giving you the dirty looks. heh! Then again, it is hard to hold a phone and a ice cream cone at the same time, but I'm working on that skill set!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Really is ridiculous. If you want quiet, go to a library. Cheering is something that makes live games so much fun.

/rant
    I love being told how I'm suppose to act at a basketball game...
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 02-29-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Mood

Also I noticed that Bird was not in the house but Mel was. I wonder if Bird was hiding a bit because attendance was so bad?
    Bird tends to head to Florida over All Star weekend, not to Orlando mind you, and he may have just extended his trip. He also has to spend part of his nights meeting and greeting folks in VIP/suites. There have been times when I would see him in his seat for no more than the first two minutes of the game, but I can assure you he was in the arena watching from somewhere. Just because you may not see him, doesn't mean he's not there. In case you haven't noticed Larry tends to shy away from the publicity and the limelight.
    Last edited by ejwallace; 02-29-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post

You had to have something to entertain you.

Suffice it to say that Scandal did not utilize the same choreographers that Michael Jackson used at that time. I will never be able to unsee that video. Ever. I could not look away. I am now ashamed that I actually liked that song when it first came out. Thank you so much, I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post

Suffice it to say that Scandal did not utilize the same choreographers that Michael Jackson used at that time. I will never be able to unsee that video. Ever. I could not look away. I am now ashamed that I actually liked that song when it first came out. Thank you so much, I think...
    Useless fact about the band Scandal- Jon Bon Jovi was actually their guitarist for a short time.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Useless fact about the band Scandal- Jon Bon Jovi was actually their guitarist for a short time.
    These are the facts that Jon revealed about himself during his heyday.

He was a cowboy. He rode on a steel horse. Also, he believed that others had desire for him in some fashion, regardless of his vitality or future viability.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Also a note about those 12,000 attendance figure. Look its really hard to increase attendance figures when the local media will not cover you outside of the 30sec - 1 minute clip they show at the end of the sports segment. I watched Fox last night and they spend a ton of time covering the IHSAA tourney games with highlights and player interviews etc... but realistically if its not your High School one would not care what happened at those 1st round games. IU got a ton of coverage. When it came time for the Pacers, there was no mention of 22-12 record, no mention of our 3rd best record in the East, no mention of our Allstar Center Roy Hibbert. (though they did show is put back slam) Just a minute clip.
    The Pacers have 4 days off. I'd be making sure this team and its players gets out and does some media appearances and interviews every day.
    Also if I were the Pacers I'd be buying Ad time on the local networks and demanding more news coverage to go with it.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

My first game attending of the year. I got to my seat just after the 10-0 start. For about a quarter after that, the Warriors significantly outplayed a Pacers squad that had no clue of how to run an offense other than a 2 man game. Perhaps the Pacers realized that nothing more than that would be required of them against the Warriors, which turned out to be true due to the abysmal 3 point shooting display the Warriors put on. Count me as being shocked that Mark Jackson would allow such a thing to occur. I am now more grateful than ever that he was not hired by the Pacers. That would have been a horrific occurrence.

The Warriors came out completely flat to start the third, while Paul George decided to take the game over defensively by himself, and that was the end of it. Oh, and Lance made a bounce pass for an assist on a set play during the depths of garbage time.

It was interesting to watch West in person for the first time. He definitely is efficient with his limited athleticism, and maximizes his results due to his basketball IQ. I hope that he can continue to help mold our other bigs.

Watching Roy in person made me appreciate his improved strength and how he now takes up space. He plainly has had lots of help in the big man department, much of which is difficult to see during a telecast. He also has improved his footwork and awareness around the basket. And, his rocking the rim (and stanchion!) on the monster throwdown was highly entertaining!

And, Dahntay was Dahntay. He played just as I remembered, and he needs to, as El Pacero most helpfully pointed out on Twitter, pass the ball. In his defense, it was also during garbage time for the most part that he was noticeable on the floor.

Hansbrough took a royal beating without nearly the complaints that he could have made. It almost seemed as if the Warriors were making it a point to make excessive contact, and that it was directed towards the area of his face and head as frequently as possible. He did a wonderful job of playing through that, IMO.

A win over a team that appeared, after the Pacers decided to rejoin the contest, to be ready to call it a season due to the great time they must have had during the break was a good thing, as all wins are.
    Last edited by Brad8888; 02-29-2012 at 11:38 AM.

[QUOTE=Brad8888;1385254]

Hansbrough took a royal beating without nearly the complaints that he could have made. It almost seemed as if the Warriors were making it a point to make excessive contact, and that it was directed towards the area of his face and head as frequently as possible. He did a wonderful job of playing through that, IMO.QUOTE]

First of all - nice choice of a first game to attend. Hope you enjoyed it!

As for Tyler, this is something I have really grown to appreciate and respect about him. With Grantland.com just posting a lengthy article about the "Malice in the Palace" (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-malice-palace) -- which is a must read for long-time Pacers fans -- I often think about whether our current players have the capacity to do something like this again.

By the way Tyler plays on the court, and his reputation as "Psycho T", Tyler would be one of the first guys you might think would be crazy enough to lose it during a game. However, watching him for the past couple years has really made me grow to appreciate his character. He certainly plays more "rugged" and at times, out of control, than any other player on our team. He dishes out more elbows, pushes, shoves, runs guys over, and generally plays like a tornado. (Not all that different to the Ron Artest style).

However, when the whistle blows, Tyler typically keeps his mouth shut and stops the action. He keeps his hard-nosed efforts between the lines and quits when the echo of the whistle is over. I respect him for it. It would be tough to be a guy who hits, and gets hit, as much as he does, to keep his cool. But he generally does. I really respect it and don't miss the chirping of Stephen Jackson / Jermaine O'Neal / Scott Pollard, who weren't as rugged but found ways to get into arguments with officials and players on a regular basis. And I don't miss the Ron-Ron who wrecked the franchise.

(Sorry Peck to take this off track, but it was stream of conscious and now I don't want to go back and delete it)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One of my favorite 80's songs ever. BANG! BANG!

I also enjoy Love is a Battlefield.
    I think it came on the 80's station as I was coming to the Fieldhouse yesterday afternoon. I hate to admit it, but 80's on 8 is my first preset.

You're welcome. The video doesn't do the song much justice. But it's a guilty pleasure song.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Gee, thought that you were describing me anytime during the 3rd quarter.... minus giving you the dirty looks. heh! Then again, it is hard to hold a phone and a ice cream cone at the same time, but I'm working on that skill set!

I love being told how I'm suppose to act at a basketball game...
    More power to you, and best of luck mastering the skill of eating/texting during the games

I don't mean to tell other people how to act, just leave me alone I don't expect everyone else to get into it, just don't whine about people having a good time and not causing harm to anyone.

Mood

These are the facts that Jon revealed about himself during his heyday.

He was a cowboy. He rode on a steel horse. Also, he believed that others had desire for him in some fashion, regardless of his vitality or future viability.
    Care to back this up with some album sales figures? While youre at it go ahead and figure out how much his tours have grossed as well.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor