Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

  1. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

    Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Care to back this up with some album sales figures? While youre at it go ahead and figure out how much his tours have grossed as well.
    uh...

    "I'm a cowboy
    On a steel horse I ride
    I'm wanted
    Dead or alive
    "
    -Jon

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,319

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More power to you, and best of luck mastering the skill of eating/texting during the games


    I don't mean to tell other people how to act, just leave me alone I don't expect everyone else to get into it, just don't whine about people having a good time and not causing harm to anyone.
    Eh, just ignore them, that's what I do. Of course I probably have the loudest natural clap in the world that I can't help, but I could control my random booing at times.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,608

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

    I go to the game to watch the game.

    One of the things I love about my current seats is that there's no one in front of me to stand up (both at times of excitement and at stupid times) and block my view of the court. I have the glass barrier in front of me at exactly the right height where I can lean forward over it from my seat and concentrate on the game.

    I'll yell "DE-FENSE", and shout for players, and get up during time-outs and introductions, but the game is on the floor, not in the stands.

    All that said, I love Area 55 and things like that. I like the atmosphere as long as I can watch the game the way I want to watch it.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  7. #29

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

    I thought the best part of the past two games has been the re-emergence of Tyler Hansbrough. I don't expect him to play as well as he had the past two games, but I certainly expect him to play better than he has the entire rest of the season.

    That said, I'm not sure whether it was Vogel's decision or AJ's decision, but I personally would have rather seen the bench unit run a few plays for Hill during garbage time, instead of going to Tyler every single play. I just thought it might have been a good opportunity to get Hill into a rhythm. Not that it matters too much. The result is Tyler gets more confident which isn't a bad thing either.

    I also think this game showed that the difference between us with George playing well, and with George not playing well. The five game losing streak had as much to do with PG not playing well as Hibbert not playing well. When he's playing well, we are a different team, and if he has a good playoff run, I really think we can make some noise.

  8. #30
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the atmosphere as long as I can watch the game the way I want to watch it.
    Because it's all about YOU.

  9. #31
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,608

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because it's all about YOU.
    Why, yes, it is. Thanks for realizing that.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  11. #32
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't mean it as a criticism, I just find it odd. I mean they will literally ignore each other the entire game.
    I'll take your word for it... when I go to the game, I spend most of my time watching the game.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  12. #33
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    More power to you, and best of luck mastering the skill of eating/texting during the games


    I don't mean to tell other people how to act, just leave me alone I don't expect everyone else to get into it, just don't whine about people having a good time and not causing harm to anyone.
    Sorry, I misunderstood you... I thought you were getting on people that are not as enthusiastic as yourself. Don't get me wrong, I would never get on anyone for being enthusiastic about the team.

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eh, just ignore them, that's what I do. Of course I probably have the loudest natural clap in the world that I can't help, but I could control my random booing at times.
    Yes, Mr. Shotgun Clap.... I agree! Gee, I wonder who you might be talking about in regards to "random boo'ing"
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 02-29-2012 at 08:14 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:


  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Franklin
    Posts
    415
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FIFY

    Also, I believe next Tuesday is the IMCU "2 for Tuesday" promo, I didn't think that was available last night. Could be wrong though.

    By the way, really enjoyed the post. Nicely done.

    Regarding the crowd, I'm noticing a disturbing trend. I live about 2 hours away, and money is pretty tight. Ergo, I only make it to 5-10 regular season games a year, and typically all of the playoffs (Been pretty affordable the past few years ). This season I've had the fortune of attending 4 games due to ridiculously inexpensive tickets. However, when I go to games I really get into them. Here's a few of the things I do:

    If no one's view is blocked, I like to stand the whole game.

    Chant "DE FENSE!"

    Yell "GO TO WORK BIG FELLA!" when Roy is battling

    Yell "THIS GAME JUST GOT A WHOLE LOT MORE INTANGIBL-EY!" when Tyler checks in

    Jump up and down when someone dunks

    Cheer raucously when someone hits a three

    Yell "GREAT EFFORT" when the team makes a nice play and comes down the court

    Now, I NEVER use profanity, always yell "up" so I'm not screaming in someones ear, never yell angrily etc. I'm enjoying myself, and want to make it fun. Also, I talk to the people around me during timeouts, and genuinely ask if I am making the game less enjoyable to just give me a tap on the shoulder.

    However, recently I've noticed these posers who come in late, never cheer, and glare at people who cheer. In fact, at the New Jersey game 2 weeks ago, some guy said "Give it a rest, morons." when myself and some random guy laughingly asked Joey if he didn't call a foul at the end of the quarter when Ariza tackled Dahntay because it wasn't a horse-collar tackle. Didn't scream, were laughing, people around us were having a good time, but this fool is here to quietly eat ice cream and text.

    Really is ridiculous. If you want quiet, go to a library. Cheering is something that makes live games so much fun.

    /rant
    I agree. The one aspect that has always made me a bit sad about attending Pacers games is that the crowd is mostly quiet and modest. I usually receive a couple of those glances every time I go to a game.
    Last edited by Jessen; 02-29-2012 at 10:25 PM.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessen For This Useful Post:


  16. #35
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

    Really the only eyesore with this team is our attendance as Peck mentioned.

    I don't know for sure because I don't live in Indiana, but it really seems like the Pacers are alienating themselves from a marketing standpoint.

    Marketing is one of the biggest needs, if not the biggest in getting people to your games. Winning is another, which we have.

    Let this team be known because this is nuts. We're 22-12 and have the worst crowd turnouts in the league next to Detroit. Something isn't clicking with the fanbase and it should be.

  17. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Franklin
    Posts
    415
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really the only eyesore with this team is our attendance as Peck mentioned.

    I don't know for sure because I don't live in Indiana, but it really seems like the Pacers are alienating themselves from a marketing standpoint.

    Marketing is one of the biggest needs, if not the biggest in getting people to your games. Winning is another, which we have.

    Let this team be known because this is nuts. We're 22-12 and have the worst crowd turnouts in the league next to Detroit. Something isn't clicking with the fanbase and it should be.
    I honestly don't believe that the marketing is to blame. I could reference a ton of other threads relating to this topic, but really it comes down to this: give the fans time to come back. The fanbase still feels burned. This team and organization needs to earn back their trust.

  18. #37
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really the only eyesore with this team is our attendance as Peck mentioned.

    I don't know for sure because I don't live in Indiana, but it really seems like the Pacers are alienating themselves from a marketing standpoint.

    Marketing is one of the biggest needs, if not the biggest in getting people to your games. Winning is another, which we have.

    Let this team be known because this is nuts. We're 22-12 and have the worst crowd turnouts in the league next to Detroit. Something isn't clicking with the fanbase and it should be.
    The basic problem is that their marketing efforts are pretty much nonexistent outside of FS Indiana, Pacers.com, and social media, and a few bill boards for the first month of the season.

    I think they should purchase space on one of those new LED billboards and just place a giant East Conference standings on it with Pacers blown up at number 3. They could update it on a weekly basis.

    Also the whole "Indiana's Game, Indiana's Team" is a very effective message but I only ever see it at the fieldhouse. They could mix the pre-game intro video into real commercial.

    There is so much untapped opportunities to market the team... I don't understand it. Maybe they have already done studies on the most effective types of campaigns, but I'd say its a problem when you release a ticket promotion and the only way you would ever hear about it if you follow them on social media or watch the games already.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  19. #38

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I honestly don't believe that the marketing is to blame. I could reference a ton of other threads relating to this topic, but really it comes down to this: give the fans time to come back. The fanbase still feels burned. This team and organization needs to earn back their trust.
    I don't think marketing is to blame either. They know the same tricks that other teams use that have similar records and histories and far better attendance. I think attendance has to do with giving the fan base time to come back. BUT, I also think it is due to shortcomings in the media (paltry coverage at the 6 PM and 11 PM news teams) as already mentioned, as well as other things, specifically the economy.

    The economy? But tickets can be had dirt cheap, you say? Well, it's still discretionary spending that we are talking about, and according to NPR, most people barely have emergency funds in their checking accounts. They can see the games for free in their own homes, eat their own home-cooked (and cheaper) meals rather than eat at or near the Fieldhouse, and can avoid spending money on gas and parking. So it may be as much about the recovery of the economy as anything else. The reason that other cities may not be experiencing the same attendance issues may have to do more with the disparities in the local economies within an hour or so radius from the respective arenas more than anything else, although I'm not sure how one could actually prove this.

  20. #39
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,340

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jessen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree. The one aspect that has always made me a bit sad about attending Pacers games is that the crowd is mostly quiet and modest. I usually receive a couple of those glances every time I go to a game.
    If only they gave out more t-shirts...... THEN everybody goes nuts.

    It's getting down to the wire late in the fourth and people are sitting. Heck, look at when the Pacers and Hornets went into OT last week. People started to LEAVE at the end of regulation!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  21. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,319

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    It's getting down to the wire late in the fourth and people are sitting. Heck, look at when the Pacers and Hornets went into OT last week. People started to LEAVE at the end of regulation!
    Because folks are still not emotionally involved with this team yet. Roy is trying to change that though. The big eared kid from California became our adopted hoosier and was able to do the US vs Them trick very well.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  22. #41
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    It's getting down to the wire late in the fourth and people are sitting. Heck, look at when the Pacers and Hornets went into OT last week. People started to LEAVE at the end of regulation!
    People work. Some can't stay that late. At least they came to the game period.

Similar Threads

  1. Maynor + 2 picks for 10
    By dustinpettit in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 345
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 08:48 PM
  2. Dahntay Jones: Play by Play breakdown
    By imawhat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 01:47 PM
  3. Webber to return to Warriors
    By Erik in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 06:04 AM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-12-2008, 05:46 PM
  5. Bench play in the playoffs and other thoughts.
    By Reggie4Three in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 09:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •