Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lance to only get minutes during blowouts?

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Lance to only get minutes during blowouts?

http://www.sulia.com/channel/basketb...source=twitter

Mike Wells

Vogel said before the game that he plans to use A.J. Price as the backup PG and Hill as the backup SG for the time being. That means the few Lance Stephenson was getting will likely decrease even more barring a blowout. about 5 hours ago
    Now can we put to rest the idea Vogel is forced to play Lance because of Bird?
    Sittin on top of the world!

Default Re: Lance to only get minutes during blowouts?

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.sulia.com/channel/basketb...source=twitter

Mike Wells

Now can we put to rest the idea Vogel is forced to play Lance because of Bird?
    That doesn't mean it wasn't Bird's idea, or that it was Vogel's. It just means Price has forced them to play him.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    That doesn't mean it wasn't Bird's idea, or that it was Vogel's. It just means Price has forced them to play him.
    Certain people were saying lance only played because Larry forced Frank. This proves Vogel isn't under a mandate as conspiracy theorist would imply. I am sure alot of ideas get thrown around.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Certain people were saying lance only played because Larry forced Frank. This proves Vogel isn't under a mandate as conspiracy theorist would imply. I am sure alot of ideas get thrown around.

No this proves nothing. It could have been Vogel was under mandate, but after seeing Price play for an extended period of time Bird realized his error. There are a million things this could mean, but there is only one that is not speculation, Price has forced them to play him because of how he has played on the court.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Could it be that Lance hadn't progress as hoped as shown with his extended minutes during Hill's absence which made his previous spoonfed minutes look more questionable... while in turn Price did nothing but improve with his minutes which made Lance's spoonfed minutes look even more questionable?

IOW... Lance was getting minutes to try and bring him along in the NBA. Then when he was needed for anything more than some token managed minutes he did nothing with that opportunity except show he still wasn't ready. Meanwhile, Price showed he could be more effective than Lance currently... and so it's now time for the stretch run so time to put away the Lance experiment for down the road and go with the effective players. Lance will get another opportunity I'm sure but it will take an injury or new season. He just needs to keep working on his game and be ready when that opportunity calls.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sounds right to me. The bench could use some stability and I think having Hill and Price playing with each other consistently will help.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Sounds right to me. The bench could use some stability and I think having Hill and Price playing with each other consistently will help.
    I agree. Also, DJones has been playing very solid. He gets the call off the bench before Lance as well IMO.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Could it be that Lance hadn't progress as hoped as shown with his extended minutes during Hill's absence which made his previous spoonfed minutes look more questionable... while in turn Price did nothing but improve with his minutes which made Lance's spoonfed minutes look even more questionable?

IOW... Lance was getting minutes to try and bring him along in the NBA. Then when he was needed for anything more than some token managed minutes he did nothing with that opportunity except show he still wasn't ready. Meanwhile, Price showed he could be more effective than Lance currently... and so it's now time for the stretch run so time to put away the Lance experiment for down the road and go with the effective players. Lance will get another opportunity I'm sure but it will take an injury or new season. He just needs to keep working on his game and be ready when that opportunity calls.
    That. And also there's a strong chance that a move at the deadline may cause the whole discussion to become moot.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Thats one step forward towards improvement!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    My point was , Vogel has decided to play AJ , not Lance so, it shows Bird is not forcing Vogel to play Lance , like had been rummored.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Dont feel like debating , but will just say I disagree, and he did show a lot of improvement and potential. I dont think Vogel was told to play Lance , I think he earned it. Vogel views AJ as a back up PG, and Hill the back up SG. Thats why Lance's minutes will get cut, because Vogel see's Lance as a 2 and hill is better at this time

Lance didnt lose his spot because of AJ, but because of G Hill, and Vogel deaming Lance a SG

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

It's hard for Lance to be effective when: 1.) he's not handling the ball much at all 2.) they have NO plays for him, so he basically has to just sit there in the corner.

Guys, it's not hard at all... we've seen glimpses of what Lance is capable of, he's just really excited out there and sometimes tries too hard and messes up. When he's on it, no one on this team is capable of passing the ball like him or dribbling past his opponent and driving to the hoop. If the team actually "gave him the keys to the car" he would easily show his worth. It makes me mad seeing him being so limited.. they make him the last option offensively when he's out there which is a joke because he's easily the most talented offensive player when he's out there with the second-third team. He's medium risk high reward in my eyes. The question hasn't been " i wonder if he's gonna stay out of trouble" anymore.. it's "can he prove it on the court now?" which is a nice thing to worry about because those who know a little about the game know he'll be good if he keeps up the hard work and cuts down on the turnovers.

not to compare him to Jeremy Lin, but if the pacers "handed him the keys" for the # of games Lin played for the Knicks before all star break, i'm sure he'd have less turnovers, although i'm very sure not as much points. The guy just needs to PLAY!!

/rant

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luis3ep For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by luis3ep View Post
    we've seen glimpses of what Lance is capable of, he's just really excited out there and sometimes tries too hard and messes up.
    :
    :
    If the team actually "gave him the keys to the car" he would easily show his worth.
    Or he'd total the car.

These glimpses are nice but they aren't enough for me to declare him badly treated because he has to practice first.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned

They could be trying to showcase some of the players before the trade deadline too.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am extremely pleased with the intensity and great play of AJ right now. A combination of that and Hill being back, I can't be too upset. As long as we keep winning games, I don't care who is out there.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

If we could safely send Lance to the D-League without anyone taking him, I would want to do that for a few games. He's still very young and has great talent. Price is just outplaying him by far right now. I hope the team doesn't give up on Lance. I feel he really does have special talent that just needs improvement and worked on. Don't give up on him yet, Pacers! However, I think he does need playing time, so D-League could provide that for him, even though its lower talent.

It's easy to put up numbers when you have the ball in your hands. Most of the time Lance was out there, no plays were drawn up for him and he was relegated to standing in a corner. When there is a fast break, Lance is better than Price and DC.

I'm not saying Lance is better than Price right now, but I'm saying it's easier for Price to put up numbers simply cause he has the ball more. He's shooting well, but he's streaky and his cold streaks tend to be longer than his hot streaks. We'll see if Price has finally found some consistency. Also, I don't think Price is very good at facilitating.

I just wish they'd send Lance down to the DLeague to work on his game more. Getting 30 minutes a night, work on his jump shot and learning to control a game without getting TOs.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post

I have no idea how you read this tweet, and then made the flying leap to "this proves" anything.

It proves absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Or he'd total the car.

These glimpses are nice but they aren't enough for me to declare him badly treated because he has to practice first.
    Zing, even I had to laugh at that one

Nice work Sir

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I have no idea how you read this tweet, and then made the flying leap to "this proves" anything.

It proves absolutely nothing.
    I think it does prove something. It proves that Vogel coaches how he see's fit and Bird allows that.

I think Bird might have said something earlier before the start of the season, along the lines of "try and get a few spot minutes for Lance, if you can, and if he deserves it. Then Hill got hurt and Lance's role expanded. Hill comes back and Vogel likes AJ as the back up point guard. Lance minutes cut, Vogels decision

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Or he'd total the car.

While I would love to hand Lance the keys and let him play, that would just be a bad move right now since we are a playoff team. He hasn't shown himself capable of anything. He'll have 1 really good game and it immediately goes to his head and he'll make stupid mistakes the next.

I do think the DLeague would be beneficial, but the Pacers don't seem keen on using the DLeague for any purpose. Getting big minutes to work on his game while at the same time not hurting the Pacers would be a good thing. He's got to work on his mid range jumper and learn how to control a game without committing a massive amount of TOs.

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I think it does prove something. It proves that Vogel coaches how he see's fit and Bird allows that.

I think Bird might have said something earlier before the start of the season, along the lines of "try and get a few spot minutes for Lance, if you can, and if he deserves it. Then Hill got hurt and Lance's role expanded. Hill comes back and Vogel likes AJ as the back up point guard. Lance minutes cut, Vogels decision
    How does Wells' tweet prove that? Tell me which part of what you're reading makes you think it proves something.

It doesn't. Really. It doesn't.

wow, amazed at the lance hate.

don't understand that at all.

i agree with 90's that playing lance was vogel's idea. and it looks like it will take longer than a year to get lance ready for full time duty. i disagree with luis that lance is ready to play. he is better. but not ready to play full time. and right now, he is not good enough. dahntay is better, AJ is better, hill is better. what lance has to do right now is get to work on his game and get himself better. lance has more talent than hill, than AJ. than dahntay. he just needs to develop it.

personally i'm rooting for lance. he looks like a guy that can play. and be a good player. i hope he gets his stuff together and has a break out year next year.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post

i agree with 90's that playing lance was vogel's idea. and it looks like it will take longer than a year to get lance ready for full time duty. i disagree with luis that lance is ready to play. he is better. but not ready to play full time. and right now, he is not good enough. dahntay is better, AJ is better, hill is better. what lance has to do right now is get to work on his game and get himself better. lance has more talent than hill, than AJ. than dahntay. he just needs to develop it.

personally i'm rooting for lance. he looks like a guy that can play. and be a good player. i hope he gets his stuff together and has a break out year next year.
    Nicely said.

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post

Who is hating on Lance?