Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Brandon Roy Comeback

  1. #1
    Member PaulGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    298

    Default Brandon Roy Comeback

    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

    In an interview with Dubi Pick of Eurobasket, Brandon Roy had this to say about a possible comeback: "It's hard being away from the game. Don't be surprised if you see Brandon Roy make his way back to the court ... It's the truth. It's really hard being so far away from the game ... I believe there's a good chance you will see Brandon Roy back hoopin'."

    Tweeted frequent ESPN Insider contributor and Pacific Northwest resident Kevin Pelton: "Sounds like the Brandon Roy comeback has legs."

    Roy was forced into retirement after last season due to chronic knee problems.

    While Roy does indeed appear to be seriously considering a comeback, whether his knees will be able to hold up over the rigors of a season -- and whether an NBA squad is willing to give him a guaranteed contract based on this risk -- remains to be seen.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    We all know the toughest thing for any pro athlete to do is hang up the jersey and call it a career. Especially when they are forced to retire at a young age.

    With that said I do believe Roy will try to make a comeback and I'm sure he will go to any team that takes him. The Pacers have a great medical staff and I'm sure that would figure into Roy's thinking.

    So would you be happy if the Pacers got Roy at a reasonable price and limited his minutes off the bench. Say Granger gets traded in the off season and we move PG to SF and sign a starting SG or trade for one. Would you be open to Brandon coming off the bench?
    I'm a Beast

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulGeorge For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Age
    29
    Posts
    385
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    This is an interesting article. I am pulling for Brandon. Brandon Roy the player I would love to have. I think he is an incredibly smart and passionate ball player.

    His medical liabilities, on the other hand, would worry me. I guess I would just say that if our staff cleared him, I would trust them and welcome him, as long as the contract wasn't ludicrous.

    All that being said, is it just me, or does anyone else smell Phoenix as the end result here?

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrownBearCoffee For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Member LG33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,922

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    LoneGranger33 thinks giving Brandon Roy another shot in the NBA is a low-risk, high-reward move. He's a high-character guy with great skills and a real passion for the game. I believe there's a good chance you'll see LoneGranger33 supporting him in his return, here or elsewhere.

  6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to LG33 For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  7. #4

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    I hope he can recover and make a return. I'd love to see him here if he is cleared to play again.

  8. #5
    Dood. Ownagedood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,638

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    He doesn't like being away from the game. But his body isn't gonna let him be around it regularly. Very unfortunate.

  9. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    vnzla81 does not believe he is coming back.

  10. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    vnzla81 does not believe he is coming back.
    Not sure I can respect anyone who speaks in third person, much less types...

  11. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure I can respect anyone who speaks in third person, much less types...
    vnzla81 disagrees with your message.

  12. #9

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

    In an interview with Dubi Pick of Eurobasket, Brandon Roy had this to say about a possible comeback: "It's hard being away from the game. Don't be surprised if you see Brandon Roy make his way back to the court ... It's the truth. It's really hard being so far away from the game ... I believe there's a good chance you will see Brandon Roy back hoopin'."

    Tweeted frequent ESPN Insider contributor and Pacific Northwest resident Kevin Pelton: "Sounds like the Brandon Roy comeback has legs."

    Roy was forced into retirement after last season due to chronic knee problems.

    While Roy does indeed appear to be seriously considering a comeback, whether his knees will be able to hold up over the rigors of a season -- and whether an NBA squad is willing to give him a guaranteed contract based on this risk -- remains to be seen.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    We all know the toughest thing for any pro athlete to do is hang up the jersey and call it a career. Especially when they are forced to retire at a young age.

    With that said I do believe Roy will try to make a comeback and I'm sure he will go to any team that takes him. The Pacers have a great medical staff and I'm sure that would figure into Roy's thinking.

    So would you be happy if the Pacers got Roy at a reasonable price and limited his minutes off the bench. Say Granger gets traded in the off season and we move PG to SF and sign a starting SG or trade for one. Would you be open to Brandon coming off the bench?

    Geez, when are people going to figure it out that Paul George isn't as SF!! He can't play SF as he's not strong enough physically to do it. He was drafted to be Rush's replacement NOT Granger's replacement. Maybe down the road if PG puts on some muscle and gets stronger he could play SF. There is a reason why Dahntay is the b/u SF, and not PG. This trying to pigeonhole players into playing different positions gets ridiculous. 6 or so years ago many wanted to shoehorn Granger into being the SG. Granger IS A SF. That's his natural position. Let PG play the position he's most adapted to play... SG.

  13. #10
    The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,582

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure I can respect anyone who speaks in third person, much less types...

  14. #11
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,596
    Mood

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    I would be thrilled if we would give the kid another shot, especially that it would definitely be a possible low risk/high reward situation.

  15. #12
    Member LG33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,922

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure I can respect anyone who speaks in third person, much less types...
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    vnzla81 disagrees with your message.
    Don't be surprised if you see LoneGranger33 express disappointment with this response either.

  16. #13

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure Dgreenwell3 can respect anyone who speaks in third person, much less types...

    PacerDude says it's fixed.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:


  18. #14
    Member PaulGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    298

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Geez, when are people going to figure it out that Paul George isn't as SF!! He can't play SF as he's not strong enough physically to do it. He was drafted to be Rush's replacement NOT Granger's replacement. Maybe down the road if PG puts on some muscle and gets stronger he could play SF. There is a reason why Dahntay is the b/u SF, and not PG. This trying to pigeonhole players into playing different positions gets ridiculous. 6 or so years ago many wanted to shoehorn Granger into being the SG. Granger IS A SF. That's his natural position. Let PG play the position he's most adapted to play... SG.
    I'm not going to waste time to argue with you but, your argument is invalid on many levels.
    I'm a Beast

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGeorge For This Useful Post:


  20. #15
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,357

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGeorge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tweeted frequent ESPN Insider contributor and Pacific Northwest resident Kevin Pelton: "Sounds like the Brandon Roy comeback has legs."
    BRushWithDeath is saddened to report that unfortunately those legs have no cartilage.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  22. #16
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,187
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    There is a greater chance of me posting in the 4th person than for Brandon Roy to make a comeback. Allan Houston all over again.

  23. #17
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,213
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    Thanks for the laugh guys.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

    Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:


  25. #18
    A Magical Place Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,603
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    Hoop is enjoying this thread very much.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  26. #19
    Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    333

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    This just in: "Ricky Henderson Does a Great Brandon Roy Impression"

    Film at 11...

  27. #20
    Member ejwallace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    839
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    I have to wonder, if he were to come back, would he be considered as a free agent, or would Portland hold rights to him still. He is still getting $64 million from the Blazers. Would his return negate their responsibility to fulfill his "medical retirement" contract?

    In fact, for him to be even considered for medical retirement, doesn't a league appointed doctor have to state that he is not able to play in the NBA?

  28. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,260

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to wonder, if he were to come back, would he be considered as a free agent, or would Portland hold rights to him still. He is still getting $64 million from the Blazers. Would his return negate their responsibility to fulfill his "medical retirement" contract?

    In fact, for him to be even considered for medical retirement, doesn't a league appointed doctor have to state that he is not able to play in the NBA?
    shags is pretty sure that Portland can't re-sign him because they amnestied him for 2 more years. And shags thinks that the NBA may step in and not allow him to sign with any team this season. shags remembers a similar thing happening to Jason "White Chocolate" Williams a few years ago, shags thinks.


  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:


  30. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    4,237

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    If he does try a comeback before his contract is up, he should be put on the amnesty wire for teams under the cap to have the opportunity to sign him before teams over the cap can. I don't think it would be right for him to be able to play for Miami or NY for almost nothing while pulling down his full salary.

  31. #23
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,824

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    "Sounds like the Brandon Roy comeback has legs."

    ...but no knees.

  32. #24
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Brandon Roy Comeback

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BRushWithDeath is saddened to report that unfortunately those legs have no cartilage.
    In a thread full of fantastic win, this is the winningest win of them all.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 07:33 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 10:33 AM
  3. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 05-26-2009, 04:12 PM
  4. Remember the Name: Brandon Rush
    By rocksballer58 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 10:20 AM
  5. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-13-2008, 12:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •