Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 61 of 61

Thread: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

  1. #51
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,940

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You might have said that, but apparently you haven't been around here long enough to realize that what you said doesn't apply to the majority of the board.
    I've been here long enough to realize that the situation is nothing like what you describe.

    People overreact all over the various sports boards. But PD is one of the few boards that homerism is painted in such a negative light.

  2. #52

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    The glow in the dark dunk would of been a lot better if you could see the ball. The last dunk was also awesome, but it took him to many tries.

    I think he should of just done a 360 between the legs and he would of won...
    Last edited by righteouscool; 02-28-2012 at 02:37 PM.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:


  4. #53
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,609

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw the dunk, dude. I don't think it was the best dunk of the night. Even DWilliams dunk with Rubio was better.

    And the sticker? It wasn't just the sticker... it was the dunk he was trying to pull off after planting that sticker, and it was very, very impressive. Watch it. I get the feeling all you focused on was the sticker, as was half of America.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvtHauJMMhY

    The lights out dunk was extremely under-rated and created some fantastic imagery, especially in slow-motion.

    Take out the misses and PG's dunks blew them all away. PG got robbed.
    I agree, I wasn't even all that impressed with Evans' 2-ball dunk. Javale McGee did 3 balls and didn't win. Paul's dunks were under-rated...

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:


  6. #54
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,801
    Mood

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    I don't think Paul lost to props. He lost to a celebrity. Kevin Hart was the MVP for just being himself. Nothing changed for the dunk vote. Paul should've had him on his side.

  7. #55
    Member Hibbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stay at ya mammy house
    Age
    32
    Posts
    976

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He alley-ooped two balls. That was the best dunk of the night. By far. Hell, the pass alone was impressive.

    If Paul would have done the Hibbert dunk the first time, it would have been about as good but it took too many attempts. The glow-in-the-dark gimmick was a bad idea because you couldn't really see anything on TV. The sticker was just dumb. It was good the first time Dwight did it when he stuck it to the top of the board. Sticking one to the bottom corner, repeatedly, isn't.

    I think fan voting is stupid too. But everyone knew that was the format. I don't have a problem with the competitors playing to that. And neither did Paul because he did it too.
    Quoting the great John Hollinger.....His best of the night was the Larry Bird tribute dunk, which unfortunately took him a few tries. But slapping the board on one side and then spinning to the other for a dunk is something only a few people on this planet can do. Btw George used his left hand to put the sticker up.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hibbert For This Useful Post:


  9. #56
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    • I disagree with the notion the dunk competition is dead because everything has already been done. Or that this is justification for all the props. Fans do not remember every single dunk ever done. I would be all for seeing some of the classics redone, just as long as they are executed well. This ties into my next comment...
    • People want to see incredible feats of athleticism. This is what made the old dunk contests great, not props and celebrities. Put some of those dunks in the AS game from Westbrook or Lebron into the dunk contest and it would be a hit again. No props necessary.
    100% agree. That's exactly my issue with it. I don't need to see it done with a blindfold or with lighted sneakers or while chewing gum.

    Do something that is both athletically difficult and aesthetically pleasing to watch. Give me a freaking Nique or Nance windmill or rock the cradle any day. Those LOOK great and are fun to watch.

    And what I said before is that the other great dunk would be a HALF COURT lob pass like you saw in the AS game. That looks awesome, has tons of air and power, and is a lot more tricky than a soft lob as a guy runs up to you.


    Looking back on the replay last night I had forgotten how epically horrible Evans other 2 dunks were. Originally I thought it was pretty fair that he won, but actually he should have lost as many points for the 2 lame dunks as he gained for the good one.


    And if you want fan voting then have the fans score each dunk, 1-10, as many times as they want, and that's the score for the dunk. Then you add up the 3 scores and the highest score wins.

    At the very least you get the drama as the scores unfold like you used to, the "score to beat" aspect where a guy knows the caliber dunk he needs to pull off to save the day.

    And it makes it harder to pull off the popularity contest angle since you are only bumping up the average rather than adding a vote (assuming you vote 10 over and over for the guy you like). It also forces fans to pass judgement on ALL the dunks, because if you don't give a poor rating to a dunk you didn't like then it could win when the guy's mom casts the only votes and rates it a 10.

    Plus wouldn't it be fun to see the scores given to all the different dunks so they can be compared afterward. Mailman dunk score vs P Diddy dunk score for example. It's a whole other topic for Kenny, Charles and company to talk about.

    Even DWilliams dunk with Rubio was better.
    Oh yeah, that was nice.

  10. #57
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,628

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyJones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except neither of his other two dunks would have advanced him to another round in previous dunk contest with judges.
    That's a really good point. If he had done that video camera dunk using last year's format he would've received the lowest score of the first 4 dunks and been out of the competition. That was one of the worst dunk ideas I've ever seen.

    His dunk with the two balls was incredible. That would've been a 50 if they were using the judges. I liked the Karl Malone dunk too but it wouldn't have gotten him more than a 48.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


  12. #58

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    I think Paul George is right on with his comments. Determining weather or not he should have stated these comments is not up to me. I just agree with everything that he said.

  13. #59
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,367

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    My last comment...I really don't want to call it sour grapes personally. If Evans had pulled off some nice dunks, then I TRULY believe that George would have given him his due props. As some posters have stated, Evans other two dunks truly sucked and under last years' format, he wouldn't even had advanced to the second round.

    Paul George had the more difficulty dunks. Period. After watching the 3rd dunk a couple of times, that WAS a very difficult dunk to pull off. George was pretty much touching the glass with his left hand the entire time while twisting his body for a windmill jam which, BTW, was the "hardest" dunk of the night. The dunk was good without the stickers. IMHO, I don't think he would have won the dunk contest due to the Kevin Hart factor.

    When you compare and judge Paul George's dunk side by side to other dunks in the same round, then how can you NOT give it to George. However, I do like the new nickname. I will start calling him TRON.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 02-29-2012 at 11:29 AM.

  14. #60
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,822

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:


  16. #61
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,822

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The glow in the dark dunk would of been a lot better if you could see the ball.
    He was using a yellow/green ball that should've glowed. I don't think he held it under the light long enough......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Iman Shumpert (with Paul George comparisons)
    By Rogco in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 11:27 AM
  2. Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George
    By imbtyler in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 01:31 PM
  3. Essay: Who Is Paul George?
    By pacer4ever in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 06:10 PM
  4. Pacers' Paul George settling in (Indystar)
    By Pacerfan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 01:43 PM
  5. Paul George on the competition at wing
    By Speed in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 01:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •