Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

Evans' two-ball dunk was far and away the best dunk of the night. On that alone, I felt he should have won.

George calling the contest a joke is just stupid. He knew what it was when he was campaigning for entry. Of course it's a joke. If he was out there for the purity of the competition he wouldn't have put on a stupid green costume and turned on black lights.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 02-28-2012 at 08:43 AM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

PG should have won.

having celebrities or jumping over cars (and it was just the damn hood) shouldn't automaticallly equal victory.

I think PG hurt himself with the dunk where he turned out the lights. No one could really see it.

Kevin Hart is very funny. Dane Cook is funny too. I don't understand why people have to hate on comedians once they reach a star level. Should be happy for them. My favorite comedian though is Patton Oswalt; that dude is hilarious. I mean, I love to laugh, so if there was a comedian that all he did was make faces, but was very good at it, I'd probably like them too. Now that I think of it, that sounded like Jim Carey...and he is funny! Just hasn't been recently.

The guy with the puppets...not funny.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

So it's ok for many here on PD and around the country to call the dunk competition a joke but a NBA player can't? SMH
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to play the contrarian here but I'm sorry I think this does sound like sour grapes.

Not saying he shouldn't have won, he probably should have although Evans had the best individual dunk. But if Paul would have won the contest I can assure you that we would not be hearing how the Dunk Contest is a joke.

I just pray to God that he does not use this as an excuse to go back to his early season scoop shot layup crap he was giving us.
    Absolutely agree with you, Peck!

The guy calls it a joke AFTER he openly campaigns hard to get into the competition? Come on now. Had he never seen this event before? Are you kidding me?

How many attempts did he miss on the "jump over" dunk as well as the "Bird sticker" dunk. Then on the "lights out" dunk, you couldn't really see what was happening, at least on TV (I've no idea how it looked in person).

My advice to Paul George would be to quit whining and get ready to play the next game. I hope he doesn't whine like this after games about the calls officials make.
    Last edited by Tom White; 02-28-2012 at 09:53 AM.

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    That's right, George! Get mad!
    Good....Good..

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Evans' two-ball dunk was far and away the best dunk of the night. On that alone, I felt he should have won.

George calling the contest a joke is just stupid. He knew what it was when he was campaigning for entry. Of course it's a joke. If he was out there for the purity of the competition he wouldn't have put on a stupid green costume and turned on black lights.
    I think he meant the fan voting part was the joke. I can't say he's wrong. Fans voting for All Star starters is a joke too.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    But to be fair....and I'm sure that I will get some "hate"....but if I wasn't a Pacers fan......I'd think that his comments sound like "sour grapes".
    Oh yeah, that's true. I do think that it sounds like sour grapes. The reality is that the Contest would still be a Joke even if Paul had won this.

It was still a nice experience for PG, though. And in the end that's what matters. Our guys having fun and getting some respect for the work they've put up

Except neither of his other two dunks would have advanced him to another round in previous dunk contest with judges.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyJones For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

I think the only joke he is talking about is the fan voting. I didn't even know of the fan voting until a few days before the weekend.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Javale McGee got screwed last year as well, with the judges. Its all about how outrageous / famous your props are, not the degree of difficulty or awesomeness. The dunk contest is a joke. We all know who won. He should be treated as such. He is King George. Crown him!
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

At the end of the day Paul George will be dunking in the playoffs while Jeremy Evans is sitting on his couch watching.
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Smith For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

No, it wasn't. Two-ball dunks are a dime a dozen. McGee dunked three last year and lost. Two is going backwards. The idea behind the dunk contest is advancing the art of the dunk. Evans took it backwards.

And that was his best dunk. Jumping over Kevin Hart was stupid. The eye-cam dunk --- stupid.

George had 3 extremely tough technical dunks... dunking over a 7'2" guy; the Vince jam with the lights off (I wish he had put on more glow stuff to see it better, but it was still a creative dunk), and the 3rd dunk was a very tough technical dunk. His only downfall was he didn't stick these dunks on the first try.

Evans stuck his lame dunks on the first try, plus he was the underdog, plus he incorporated the lame comic of the hour into one of his dunks and voila --- you got your lame-o dunk contest winner, America.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    No, it wasn't. Two-ball dunks are a dime a dozen. McGee dunked three last year and lost. Two is going backwards. The idea behind the dunk contest is advancing the art of the dunk. Evans took it backwards.
    He alley-ooped two balls. That was the best dunk of the night. By far. Hell, the pass alone was impressive.

If Paul would have done the Hibbert dunk the first time, it would have been about as good but it took too many attempts. The glow-in-the-dark gimmick was a bad idea because you couldn't really see anything on TV. The sticker was just dumb. It was good the first time Dwight did it when he stuck it to the top of the board. Sticking one to the bottom corner, repeatedly, isn't.

I think fan voting is stupid too. But everyone knew that was the format. I don't have a problem with the competitors playing to that. And neither did Paul because he did it too.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He alley-ooped two balls. That was the best dunk of the night. By far. Hell, the pass alone was impressive.

If Paul would have done the Hibbert dunk the first time, it would have been about as good but it took too many attempts. The glow-in-the-dark gimmick was a bad idea because you couldn't really see anything on TV. The sticker was just dumb. It was good the first time Dwight did it when he stuck it to the top of the board. Sticking one to the bottom corner, repeatedly, isn't.

I think fan voting is stupid too. But everyone knew that was the format. I don't have a problem with the competitors playing to that. And neither did Paul because he did it too.

I agree with you for the most part. I think Evans had the dunk of the night, unfortunately. The pass was incredible and it looked really smooth.

Paul's "sticker" dunk was a damn good dunk, though. He put the sticker in the lower right corner, yet still managed to complete the motions and throw it down hard on the other side. I think the shenanigans with the sticker might have actually cost him. If he would have just smacked the glass on one side and dunked on the other it probably would have been less "corny."

The #PGAfterDark dunk was nice too, but you couldn't really tell with the lights off. I still think Paul had the best set of dunks, but had too many misses.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Kevin Hart is very funny. Dane Cook is funny too. I don't understand why people have to hate on comedians once they reach a star level. Should be happy for them. My favorite comedian though is Patton Oswalt; that dude is hilarious. I mean, I love to laugh, so if there was a comedian that all he did was make faces, but was very good at it, I'd probably like them too. Now that I think of it, that sounded like Jim Carey...and he is funny! Just hasn't been recently.

The guy with the puppets...not funny.
    I think it is an internet thing. It is the 'cool' to hate on everything that is popular. When Dane was at the top of his game most people I meet in every day either loved him or it was not their cup of tea. Now you get on the internet and people reviled him.

It is the same thing in the world of movies, music, and videogames.

I did not need PG to tell me the dunk contest was a joke. It has become way to much about the show instead of the actual dunk. Also having guys like Lebron, Dwight, and others pass on it kills the contest.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

It's just a dumb thing for Paul to say.

He says he thinks the big name guys need to be in it, but he actively campaigned to get in. Is he a big name guy? Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Had he won, I'm guessing it wouldn't have been any kind of joke. Paul wouldn't have thought it was a joke. The posters here wouldn't have thought it was a joke. But he lost, so a joke it is.
    Last edited by Mackey_Rose; 02-28-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Freudian slip.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

The voting is definitely a joke, so I'll definitely agree.

However, it does sound like some sour grapes to me as well.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

The REAL joke, is that the guy who handed Evans his trophy was this guy .... he should have ran off with that ****.

Last edited by xBulletproof; 02-28-2012 at 12:49 PM.

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

I'm just gonna post my thoughts on the dunk contest and Paul George in bullet format ala' Peck.

• There was no clear cut winner in this dunk contest. Every dunker was pretty bad. I actually thought the voting results seemed pretty accurate. I still would prefer judges.
    • PG is complaining about props. Yet 2/3 of his dunks were very prop-heavy. Rolling a set of lights out onto the court? How many stickers of Bird did he have?
    • Note that PG did not actually do the sticker dunk. He was out of stickers on the attempt he made and just slapped the backboard instead. That still an incredible dunk. But the fact he had pasted Bird's face all over the backboard beforehand kinda ruined it.
    • Evans two ball over Hayward dunk won him the contest. That was easily the best dunk of the night. His other two were absolute crap though.
    • As much as it pains me to say, Budinger probably had the second best dunk of the night: the P. Diddy dunk. Yes all the theatrics were retarded, but the actual dunk itself was very impressive. Catching the lob one-handed from a stranger (without any rehearsals I'm assuming). More importantly he did it on his first try.
    • PG probably had the best overall trio of dunks. The problem is he needed WAY too many attempts. Taking that many attempts kills your chances. He should have lowered the difficulty a little. If he didn't have the lobs from D. Jones in the first dunk or the Bird stickers, he probably could have done those dunks on his first try. Then he would have won.
    • I disagree with the notion the dunk competition is dead because everything has already been done. Or that this is justification for all the props. Fans do not remember every single dunk ever done. I would be all for seeing some of the classics redone, just as long as they are executed well. This ties into my next comment...
    • People want to see incredible feats of athleticism. This is what made the old dunk contests great, not props and celebrities. Put some of those dunks in the AS game from Westbrook or Lebron into the dunk contest and it would be a hit again. No props necessary.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ThunderMakeR For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Had he won, I'm guessing it wouldn't have been any kind of joke. Paul wouldn't have thought it was a joke. The posters here wouldn't have thought it was a joke. But he lost, so a joke it is.
    Just quoting myself:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Oh yeah, that's true. I do think that it sounds like sour grapes. The reality is that the Contest would still be a Joke even if Paul had won this.
    The grass is not always greener on the other side, mate

EDIT:

Mr.ThunderMakeR is 100% right. The missed dunks point is completely valid. That's why Paul and Derrick Williams went 3rd and 4th respectively. The failed attempts killed their chances.
    Last edited by Nuntius; 02-28-2012 at 01:43 PM.

If misses are supposed to count against you then Nate Robinson owes somebody some trophies.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Just quoting myself:

The grass is not always greener on the other side, mate
    You might have said that, but apparently you haven't been around here long enough to realize that what you said doesn't apply to the majority of the board.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

No wonder Paul didn't win. His dunks were crisp and clean!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I saw the dunk, dude. I don't think it was the best dunk of the night. Even DWilliams dunk with Rubio was better.

And the sticker? It wasn't just the sticker... it was the dunk he was trying to pull off after planting that sticker, and it was very, very impressive. Watch it. I get the feeling all you focused on was the sticker, as was half of America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvtHauJMMhY

The lights out dunk was extremely under-rated and created some fantastic imagery, especially in slow-motion. He may have earned himself a new nickname with that: "TRON".

Take out the misses and PG's dunks blew them all away. PG got robbed.

There was not 1 dunk that Budinger executed that was better than any of PG's and he came in 2nd in voting. That right there tells me all I need to know about the judging process... it was massively flawed. All it told me was that Budinger and Evans had more people abusing the unlimited voting.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 02-28-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    I'm just gonna post my thoughts on the dunk contest and Paul George in bullet format ala' Peck.

• There was no clear cut winner in this dunk contest. Every dunker was pretty bad. I actually thought the voting results seemed pretty accurate. I still would prefer judges.
    • PG is complaining about props. Yet 2/3 of his dunks were very prop-heavy. Rolling a set of lights out onto the court? How many stickers of Bird did he have?
    • Note that PG did not actually do the sticker dunk. He was out of stickers on the attempt he made and just slapped the backboard instead. That still an incredible dunk. But the fact he had pasted Bird's face all over the backboard beforehand kinda ruined it.
    • Evans two ball over Hayward dunk won him the contest. That was easily the best dunk of the night. His other two were absolute crap though.
    • As much as it pains me to say, Budinger probably had the second best dunk of the night: the P. Diddy dunk. Yes all the theatrics were retarded, but the actual dunk itself was very impressive. Catching the lob one-handed from a stranger (without any rehearsals I'm assuming). More importantly he did it on his first try.
    • PG probably had the best overall trio of dunks. The problem is he needed WAY too many attempts. Taking that many attempts kills your chances. He should have lowered the difficulty a little. If he didn't have the lobs from D. Jones in the first dunk or the Bird stickers, he probably could have done those dunks on his first try. Then he would have won.
    • I disagree with the notion the dunk competition is dead because everything has already been done. Or that this is justification for all the props. Fans do not remember every single dunk ever done. I would be all for seeing some of the classics redone, just as long as they are executed well. This ties into my next comment...
    • People want to see incredible feats of athleticism. This is what made the old dunk contests great, not props and celebrities. Put some of those dunks in the AS game from Westbrook or Lebron into the dunk contest and it would be a hit again. No props necessary.
    I think it was easy to tell that the whole P-Diddy thing was staged and wasn't just random.

If missing dunks is supposed to hurt you then guys in the past shouldn't have won because they missed some dunks as well. (Someone mentioned Nate Robinson.)

I think the lights off dunk was harder than it looked and the last dunk Paul did was kind of ruined with the whole sticker thing. The last dunk was probably the hardest one though and wasn't all that attractive because there weren't any celebrities involved or whatever...

All of Paul's dunks were original and creative while Budinger did the same thing Williams did... without the motorcycle. Evans' first dunk and last dunk were awful and I think some of the guys at your local rec could do the same thing, if not better. The guy with the best all-around dunks should win and that wasn't the case. I think if judges were deciding Paul would have won and Evans would have came in 3rd.