Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61

Thread: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

  1. #1
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,346

    Default Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...uld-take-part/

    George calls dunk competition a “joke” and thinks league’s star players should take part

    The consensus after Pacers practice Monday night was that Paul George should have won the Slam Dunk competition on Saturday.

    George dunked over teammates Roy Hibbert and Dahntay Jones with his first dunk. He wore a glow-in-the-dark uniform and shoes and made a dunk (that was hard to see on TV) with the lights turned off with his second dunk. Then after several failed attempts, he made his third dunk while putting a sticker of Larry Bird on the backboard.

    Still, George had to watch Utah’s Jeremy Evans win the competition.

    Evans dunked two balls, which were thrown up by former Brownsburg High School and Butler standout Gordon Hayward. Evans wore a mini video camera on his ear during another dunk. And he jumped over comedian Kevin Hart, who is almost two feet shorter than the 7-2 Hibbert.

    “(Not to) take nothing away from the dunk contest, (but) it was a joke,” George said. “I guess whoever had the biggest celebrity involved in their dunk was going to be the winner. I guess I should have tried to reach out to some people.

    “If you leave it up to fans, they probably wouldn’t have known who Larry was. I think I was destined to lose it.”

    Fans voted for the winner.

    Coach Frank Vogel said he voted for George (obviously) and he also had some of his neighbors vote for the second-year guard.

    One of Vogel’s daughters even noticed that Hart is a lot of shorter than Hibbert.

    “The winner jumper over a short guy and Paul jumped over a tall guy, so why wouldn’t Paul be the winner,” Vogel recalled his daughter saying after Evans was named the winner.

    George said he believes they should bring back actual judges instead of allowing fans to vote. He also thinks some of the league’s marquee players should take part in the competition.

    “I agree, you have to have the faces of the league come back and get involved in it,” George said. “That’s what really made it big back in the day when you had Jordan and Dominique going at it. That was the All Stars and the guys that were the men in the league. That’s what fans want to see.”
    That's right, George! Get mad!
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 02-27-2012 at 11:33 PM.

  2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  3. #2
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,775

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Transform this anger into kicking *** now

  4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  5. #3
    Member ChristianDudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,575

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    I agree with you completely, PG. You should be holding a Slam Dunk trophy right now.

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,096

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    PG should hulk up during intros tomorrow night.....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  8. #5
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    I love the commentary from Frank via his daughter. Also, the Larry Bird sticker was fantastic. I don't know why but I love the fact that these guys pay their respects to him.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Member Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,252

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    I think that's why the majority of the real dunkers in the league just don't do it. Lately, it's become more about marketing, advertisements, staged WWE style entertainment than about basketball.

    Last season, McGee should have won it. But when Blake has KIA commercials to do, his spot in the finals is pretty much guaranteed regardless of his earlier rounds. You have capes and people throwing balls in hoops instead of dunking. You have real dunkers like Iggy putting on a show but getting beat out by Nate. DeRozan put on some spectacular dunks too, but can you blame him for turning it down this season? He lost to a KIA.

    I feel like the true dunkers have lost all faith in the competition. And the NBA only has itself to blame.

  11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,195

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    I'd rather let the NBA judges decide who wins....but I'm guessing that this is just another way for the Sponsors ( uhh....Sprite? ) to make more money.

    But to be fair....and I'm sure that I will get some "hate"....but if I wasn't a Pacers fan......I'd think that his comments sound like "sour grapes".

    If you don't know who Larry Bird was...then it's likely that you wouldn't have known who Karl "The Mailman" Malone was...much less whoever the heck that celebrity was that delivered the mail ( I have no clue what his name is...but it was that guy that did the DWade commercials a few months ago ).
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-27-2012 at 11:59 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    I have a feeling that it was all graphicer's fault, I bet he voted for Gordon Hayward like a million times
    Last edited by vnzla81; 02-28-2012 at 12:15 AM.

  15. #9
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,346

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd rather let the NBA judges decide who wins....but I'm guessing that this is just another way for the Sponsors ( uhh....Sprite? ) to make more money.

    But to be fair....and I'm sure that I will get some "hate"....but if I wasn't a Pacers fan......I'd think that his comments sound like "sour grapes".

    If you don't know who Larry Bird was...then it's likely that you wouldn't have known who Karl "The Mailman" Malone was...much less whoever the heck that celebrity was that delivered the mail ( I have no clue what his name is...but it was that guy that did the DWade commercials a few months ago ).
    Kevin Hart. At this moment, he's one of the top African-American comics. I would say top comic, but he's more of an acquired taste comic, and he hasn't reached that 100% appeal like a Eddie Murphy, Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, etc. Prime example, Kevin Hart won the Celebrity MVP, but I thought the best player easily was Duncan (Secretary of Defense?).

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,279

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a feeling that it was all graphicer's fault, I bet he voted for Gordon Hayward like a million times
    LOL. i was pleased to see him participating. But no I voted for PG about 10 times.

    I really loved how Hayward had 2 blocks in the rising stars game.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  19. #11

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    “(Not to) take nothing away from the dunk contest, (but) it was a joke,” George said.
    If you say it is a joke, I think you are taking away from the dunk contest.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

  20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:


  21. #12

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kevin Hart. At this moment, he's one of the top African-American comics. I would say top comic, but he's more of an acquired taste comic, and he hasn't reached that 100% appeal like a Eddie Murphy, Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, etc. Prime example, Kevin Hart won the Celebrity MVP, but I thought the best player easily was Duncan (Secretary of Defense?).
    Kevin Hart is what Dane Cook was a few years ago. He's a favorite comedian amongst college aged kids. Definitely not a classic comedian, but hot right now. Him and his friends played against the Uconn women. The video was hilarious, although inappropriate..

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct2ct4sOwqk


    I think PG's right in that it was a joke. But not because of fan voting. It was more about props than actual dunking. And only Paul George has a shot at being an All Star of that bunch..
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-28-2012 at 01:13 AM.

  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  23. #13
    Member jeffg-body's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    3,355
    Mood

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    I have to agree with PG that it has become a joke. I personally don't like all of the props and celebrity help. I think it should be a man with a ball dunking by himself. Leaving it up to the public was to me dumb. I missed seeing the judges. Hopefully they change the rules, bring back the judges or just get rid of it all together because it has more to do with marketing than pure dunking now.

  24. #14
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,346

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to agree with PG that it has become a joke. I personally don't like all of the props and celebrity help. I think it should be a man with a ball dunking by himself. Leaving it up to the public was to me dumb. I missed seeing the judges. Hopefully they change the rules, bring back the judges or just get rid of it all together because it has more to do with marketing than pure dunking now.
    I agree. The dunk contest was a joke this year. If I wasn't a Pacers fan, IMHO, Paul George had the better collection of dunks. Heck, I don't even mind having the judges for the first two rounds and leave it to fan voting for the two finalist. Once I heard that Buddinger was 2nd in voting, I knew that Paul George was robbed. The finalist should have been George and Williams. Buddinger was very underwhelming and Evans would have scored very poorly on his first dunk.

    If they want to keep fan voting, then I think it should be only limited to the fans inside the arena. In this day and age, there are too many people who are willing to organize voting campaigns just for the whole sake screwing up the "popular" results. I stopped watching American Idol, because they were dedicated sites that voted for the worse singer of the night.

  25. #15
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,954

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Well, I knew something was wrong, shady and sickeningly sad , when I was on the nba.com voting page and it let me vote for the winner of the dunk contest BEFORE Jeremy Evans even completed his FIRST DUNK!!!!!

    Hell I didn't even know that you could vote more than once till someone mentioned it much later on... I thought to myself "that shhhh is WACK!"




    .
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  26. #16
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    2,894

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Even if he was robbed (which he was) it was still one of the worst dunk contests of all time. The number of misses was cringe worthy and what's with this hanging on the rim for 5 seconds like a monkey after the dunk? Is that supposed to make up for the fact that the dunk was weak?

  27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:


  28. #17
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,444

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Not to play the contrarian here but I'm sorry I think this does sound like sour grapes.

    Not saying he shouldn't have won, he probably should have although Evans had the best individual dunk. But if Paul would have won the contest I can assure you that we would not be hearing how the Dunk Contest is a joke.

    I just pray to God that he does not use this as an excuse to go back to his early season scoop shot layup crap he was giving us.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  30. #18
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Posts
    2,555

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to play the contrarian here but I'm sorry I think this does sound like sour grapes.

    Not saying he shouldn't have won, he probably should have although Evans had the best individual dunk. But if Paul would have won the contest I can assure you that we would not be hearing how the Dunk Contest is a joke.

    I just pray to God that he does not use this as an excuse to go back to his early season scoop shot layup crap he was giving us.
    I honestly think he will use this as motivation and dunk every time he has the chance... but who knows.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:


  32. #19
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,816

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to play the contrarian here but I'm sorry I think this does sound like sour grapes.

    Not saying he shouldn't have won, he probably should have although Evans had the best individual dunk. But if Paul would have won the contest I can assure you that we would not be hearing how the Dunk Contest is a joke.

    I just pray to God that he does not use this as an excuse to go back to his early season scoop shot layup crap he was giving us.
    Its absolutely sour grapes. And if he won, it would have been less of a joke because he didn't use Diddy or Kevin Hart. He went out there and dunked. I think Paul feels let down by the dunk contest. Its clearly something he has wanted to do for awhile. Compared to what this contest used to be, its such a joke now. Its not what he had hoped it to be.

  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  34. #20
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,195

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think PG's right in that it was a joke. But not because of fan voting. It was more about props than actual dunking. And only Paul George has a shot at being an All Star of that bunch..
    What's funny is that PG himself propagated this theory by using an elaborate set of props like the neon jersey, neon lights and darkening the whole arena to do a glow-in-the-dark dunk.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  36. #21
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    In Paul's defense, it seems like this entire commentary on the dunk contest was just an off-the-cuff response.

  37. #22
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,316

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Well, something must be wrong here, Paul shouldn't be saying such things
    The dunk contest isn't about winning, it's about the league choosing young players who can dunk to give them extra exposure. The league chooses you, you should be honored. You lose, who cares. You can't go "The Dunk contest is a joke" after you lost.
    I think the league could have EASILY arranged Lin ooping to Blake or something like that as part of the slam dunk contest. Instead they took young, unproven players.

  38. #23
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,816

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, something must be wrong here, Paul shouldn't be saying such things
    The dunk contest isn't about winning, it's about the league choosing young players who can dunk to give them extra exposure. The league chooses you, you should be honored. You lose, who cares. You can't go "The Dunk contest is a joke" after you lost.
    I think the league could have EASILY arranged Lin ooping to Blake or something like that as part of the slam dunk contest. Instead they took young, unproven players.
    They took young unproven players because none of the big name players wanted to do it. If the NBA could get LeBron, Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin and Russel Westbrook to compete in the dunk contest, Paul George would have never been close to making it.

    The dunk contest is about showing who the best dunker in the league is.

  39. #24
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,316

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They took young unproven players because none of the big name players wanted to do it. If the NBA could get LeBron, Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin and Russel Westbrook to compete in the dunk contest, Paul George would have never been close to making it.

    The dunk contest is about showing who the best dunker in the league is.
    They didn't pick these guys because they already picked them in the past...
    You wanna tell me the league can get guys like Rondo and Tony Parker to participate in a boring skills challenge, Durant, Love and Joe Johnson in a 3pt shootout, but not get big names for dunk contest, the (probably) 2nd or 3rd most viewed event in the all-star weekend?
    They choose young players because, like I said, they want to give them exposure.

  40. #25
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,818

    Default Re: Paul George "Dunk Competition is a Joke."

    PG dis-inviting himself from future participation in this event.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  41. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Iman Shumpert (with Paul George comparisons)
    By Rogco in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 11:27 AM
  2. Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George
    By imbtyler in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 01:31 PM
  3. Essay: Who Is Paul George?
    By pacer4ever in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 06:10 PM
  4. Pacers' Paul George settling in (Indystar)
    By Pacerfan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 01:43 PM
  5. Paul George on the competition at wing
    By Speed in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 01:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •