Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Report: Warriors demanding star for Ellis

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Report: Warriors demanding star for Ellis

Nice post Speed.

I think there is an option for us to get Monta without giving up talent, per se. We could take on Biedrins with Monta, in a cap move for the Warriors. We would obviously have to give up players and/or picks, but I think taking $20M per year for the next two and a half years, would give the Warriors a ton of value. They are looking to spend as it is, plus they could turn around and use their cap space immediately or during the draft via trade.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So who are we getting in this deal exactly?
    We get Ellis.
    Warriors get Kaman, Price and a second pick.
    Hornets get our future 1st pick.
    Not sure if numbers work. Should be close tho. I'm on my phone.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I would tempted to do Monta for Granger if we could bring in a strong defender at 3, like a Shawn Marion. Monta would play point.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I would tempted to do Monta for Granger if we could bring in a strong defender at 3, like a Shawn Marion. Monta would play point.
    To me, this is the big thing about any trade involving DG. You have to replace what he can do defensively. Paul is a few years away from handling those assignments over the course of a series. I completely agree with you here!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    Nice post Speed.

I think there is an option for us to get Monta without giving up talent, per se. We could take on Biedrins with Monta, in a cap move for the Warriors. We would obviously have to give up players and/or picks, but I think taking $20M per year for the next two and a half years, would give the Warriors a ton of value. They are looking to spend as it is, plus they could turn around and use their cap space immediately or during the draft via trade.
    This is what I was thinking, another way to do it would be by doing a 3 team trade, maybe Okafor+ Ariza to GS, Monta+Biedrins to Indiana and Tyler+DC+Foster+Lou to NO.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    He isn't a PG, he is an undersized SG. No thanks....
    We only have a hand full of "true PGs" in this league. That is dwindling by the year, with the way AAU ball has gone for the last decade or two. Great PGs do have to score to be effective. Most PGs use their scoring ability to create passing lanes and space on offense. We are looking at having a guy who can break down a defense by getting into the lane and either scoring, getting guys in foul trouble, or kicking out for ball movement. Ellis has done a much better job of passing this year. I think Mark Jackson has helped in that regard. Plus the Warriors are more talented now than they were two years ago when Monta was more of a black hole on offense. He had to be, just like Granger.

If you put him in our lineup as the starting PG, then you have a diverse line-up with the ability to score from every position. You also have long-range shooters who would thrive off of Ellis' penetration. Our wings still need to do a better job of feeding Hibbert, but I think Ellis would not have to feed the post as much as he would if playing SG. Also, Ellis' defense would be much more suited to guarding players who are similar in stature. Right now, most of the players that hurt Ellis the most defensively are larger guards who he gives us 20 pounds on and four inches to. His quickness and ability to read the passing lanes are things that would benefit us, without losing so much size against PGs.

I really think Ellis would be a different player than most of you assume he would be if he came to our situation. Our coaching staff I would hope, would be using him in a different enough manner, that I believe he would be a much more efficient player than he has been up to this point in his career. Plus Ellis is roughly 25 years old and his maturity has went from a negative to a positive since he has come into the league. I think he would do wonders with veterans such as Foster, West, Hill, and Granger on our team.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'd want Dorell Wright along with Monta...but we don't have the assets to do that.

I will default back to what I mentioned before....I think that Bird looks to build upon what we have now....interchanging a KEY Player like Monta and Granger while likely shifting DC to the 2nd Unit would likely cause a major disruption in the offense/defense halfway through the season. Such a move ( if it should be made at all ) should be IMHO be made in the offseason when the Team has more time to become familiar with any new Players.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Banned

There is Wilson Chandler for the taking if we offer him enough money, Marion and Gerald Wallace are on the trading block, Ariza, Beasley is been shopped for a pick.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    There is Wilson Chandler for the taking if we offer him enough money, Marion and Gerald Wallace are on the trading block, Ariza, Beasley is been shopped for a pick.
    Wilson is an RFA, right? Meaning Simon won't let Larry pursue him?

"I'm your huckleberry"

Oh goody, this discussion again. Still looks like the same situation as last time, but off we go again for another 500 responses!
    Spoiler Spoiler:

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:

If you can get Ellis without giving up George, Granger or Hibbert, you do it. Somehow I don't think any of those offers are on the table. And so, both teams remain the same.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Wilson is an RFA, right? Meaning Simon won't let Larry pursue him?
    True but you never know.

Edit: By the way Mckeyfan Lamar Odom is another guy that could possibly be on the trade block, who knows what Dallas would ask for Odom?
    Last edited by vnzla81; 02-27-2012 at 04:04 PM.

True but you never know.

Edit: By the way Mckeyfan Lamar Odom is another guy that could possibly be on the trade block, who knows what Dallas would ask for Odom?
    Now this intrigues me. 6th man of the year, great for ball movement, jack of all trades.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

True but you never know.

uhh, I'm pretty sure Odom was supposed to be traded here few years ago and he went like "No, I don't wanna play in Indiana" (To think the Lakers offered Odom and Bynum for JO and Odom stopped it from happening..)

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Now this intrigues me. 6th man of the year, great for ball movement, jack of all trades.
    Nah, we got a few of those already. We need a banger, rebounder. Odom never did much for me.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Nah, we got a few of those already. We need a banger, rebounder. Odom never did much for me.
    He's averaged near 9 rebounds a game for his career, and he plays at SF a lot. We don't have one player like Lamar. Closest is actually PG. Lamar would be a huge boost to this team.

Mood

I am a little hesitant to go after Odom. He went through a lot this summer, since I believe a very good friend of his died in a car accident. He showed up to camp in terrible shape and doesn't really seem to interested in basketball. I think getting traded again would just make him that much more apathetic right now until he can really overcome some of the emotional issues he has been dealing with. I really like Odom as a player and as a teammate at this point in his career however.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

* The Warriors, as has been their stance for years, want a star in return for Ellis, who they consider a premium value because of his rare scoring ability and the dearth of scoring shooting guards in the league.
    So whoever wrote this considers him a shooting guard. The Warriors play him at shooting guard. Chad Ford insinuated (gotta watch how I word that one) that he is a shooting guard. Yet the experts around here are convinced he can play the point. Hm.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

RLeWorm

trade DC or Granger for Ellis. Ellis poops on DC and Granger. Not even a debate

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    So whoever wrote this considers him a shooting guard. The Warriors play him at shooting guard. Chad Ford insinuated (gotta watch how I word that one) that he is a shooting guard. Yet the experts around here are convinced he can play the point. Hm.
    He's certainly a SG, yet he played a lot of PG before Steph Curry came to town. But, if you're saying you don't think he should play the point, then I agree. He's very valuable driving and kicking, but not at setting up an offense.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Well a lot of people on ESPN feel that Westbrook and Rose should be playing SG instead of PG, those that make their teams wrong for playing them at the point? I don't think so.

I would like to know, what can DC do that a guy like Monta can't?

Note: I'm looking for constructive arguments here.

Sports Logo

He is willing to take few shots in order to facilitate for his teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    Oh goody, this discussion again. Still looks like the same situation as last time, but off we go again for another 500 responses!
    I was just thinking of bumping the "Monta Ellis for Granger??" thread to annoy everyone, but now I don't have to!

Here it is if everyone wants to just read that instead of this one. http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?p=1347826

Mood

Well a lot of people on ESPN feel that Westbrook and Rose should be playing SG instead of PG, those that make their teams wrong for playing them at the point? I don't think so.

Note: I'm looking for constructive arguments here.
    IMO there is no comparison. Unless DC all of the sudden became a passing/defensive savant, Monta could comfortably fill his role. Monta is actually averaging nearly an assist more/game.

There's my contribution

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

We get Ellis.
    Warriors get Kaman, Price and a second pick.
    Hornets get our future 1st pick.
    Numbers do work!

Biedrins will be Amnestied this summer and Kwame Brown is gone at the end of the season. They rolled the dice on Biedrins cause they didn't have a choice and he had been working really hard in the off season. Obviously it didn't help him.

They have already shown interest in Kaman and I see no reason for them not to try and get him. Especially if they can get an extension or commitment by Kaman.

I don't think this is enough give for Ellis, but it could be sweetened easily.