Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Warriors demanding star for Ellis

Banned

Default Report: Warriors demanding star for Ellis

I'm pretty sure we can offer a better package of whatever Minnesota was offering.

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssp...48484/34959637

By Matt Moore

It just wouldn't be the All-Star break without incessant trade rumors about Monta Ellis and the Warriors over-valuing him. This year's starter is from the San Jose Mercury News and Tim Kawakami who says that the going price for Ellis hasn't changed, while providing the background for a trade that was discussed last year. Kawakami outlines a deal which would have sent Michael Beasley and Nikolai Pekovic in return for Ellis. The Warriors turned it down, Pekovic was largely irrelevant last year, but has become a monster in Rick Adelman's system, averaging 18.4 points and 11 rebounds per 36 minutes. The lessons, Kawakami says are:

* The Warriors, as has been their stance for years, want a star in return for Ellis, who they consider a premium value because of his rare scoring ability and the dearth of scoring shooting guards in the league.

They don’t want to move Ellis just for cap relief. They are quite insistent on that, I’ve heard.

* But they have not yet been offered anything close to what they consider equal value–if Michael Beasley is the best player discussed in a casual offer, that’s not a big offer.

* You never know what you might get as a throw-in, however, since Pekovic suddenly has become much more valuable than Beasley, almost overnight.
    via If the Warriors shop Monta Ellis: One example of what they’ve been offered recently | Talking Points.

That's the biggest reason Ellis hasn't been moved yet. He's too good not to get great return on, but not good enough to have teams clamoring for him to come in and dramatically change their offense. He's a player that as a third option would be monstrous, an absolute killer, and as a second option would be very, very good. But the market for stars is tight right now in the NBA.

The most likely scenario involves Ellis staying through the deadline. There are teams interested in unloading stars, but would the Warriors' management want to part with Ellis for any of the Boston Big 3? Would they consider Josh Smith a star? Targeting Ellis' value is impossible, and until a major shift happens from the Warriors or someone gets desperate, Ellis should be lacing them up in the Bay.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 02-27-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Default Re: Report: Warriors demanding star for Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    m
    n
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

heres the link is anyone wants it

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...48484/34959637
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    n
    o
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    o
    p

Quick, someone say e!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Shouldn't it be an indicator if the Warriors are wanting to trade him?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Shouldn't it be an indicator if the Warriors are wanting to trade him?
    Sorry but I don't get what you are asking here.

Sorry but I don't get what you are asking here.
    Why are the Warriors trying to trade him?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Mood

As far as I remember, they feel they need to pair up a true PG with Curry/Lee. A year or so ago they were looking to bring back a PG and C.

One of those, not completely terrible but not good situations.

Everything I've ever read about him as a teammate has been positive, and man can he score. I think he's the most underrated offensive player in the NBA, but his defense is so bad. Quick hands, but thats it.

EDIT:

Here's an article that seems to answer your question a bit: Why Trade Monta?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They have a very small back court with Curry and Ellis. Their skill sets are too redundant with a roster that has the holes it has. Moreso, because they are both PGs that could just as easily be SGs, but don't really have the size of SGs. I think the Warriors would be smart to try to trade small for big, even if they lose a little bit of value. It would help round out their roster and put less pressure on their current stock of bigs.

I think the Warriors are delusional as to what Ellis' value is to other teams. It is a situation like ours that we have a player who is worth more to us than other teams. Ellis is the type of PG that teams would have to adapt their offenses to mid-season or else I think he would be getting more attention from teams. On that note, the All-Star weekend is a huge time for GMs to talk trades. I find it interesting that this is a leak on the first day after the A-S break which says to me the Warriors will be much more active shopping him. I think it will be better long-term for the Warriors if they trade him for more sensible pieces to their roster.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

Banned

I think it because at this moment he is their more valuable piece, nobody wants to touch David Lee and Curry's value is low because of his injuries.

Either way their GM sounds pretty much like Larry by saying that "we only trade him if we get an star in return".

I'd still trade for Curry.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Since Ellis' name has been floating around the trade rumors for quite some time, the most probable reason is that they are trying to get an upgrade over some positions since he and Curry are somewhat redundant, and Curry right now is harder to trade due to some injury concerns.

Banned

He's a player that as a third option would be monstrous, an absolute killer, and as a second option would be very, very good.
    Here is the part of the article that I agree with the most, I would love to be able to get him while keeping Danny, PG and Hibbert, as a 2nd or 3rd option Monta and the Pacers could destroy teams, I think Hibbert should be the 1st option, Monta 2nd, Danny 3rd.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Ellis for Kaman, Price, 2nd rnd pick and we give Hornets a 1st round pick.

Ellis for Price and a 2nd rounder would be fair.

RLeWorm

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Ellis for Price and a 2nd rounder would be fair.
    not really. thats more of how much Granger is worth.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Ellis for Kaman, Price, 2nd rnd pick and we give Hornets a 1st round pick.
    So who are we getting in this deal exactly?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    So who are we getting in this deal exactly?
    Monta.

And no way, Warriors will want a solid defensive wing. My guess is it would take AJ/Paul or Danny. Plus I don't think the Warriors will have an interest in overpaying another big man (David Lee is making $66M over the next 5, Biedrins $27M over the next 3, Kwame $7M. $100M in those players) with Kaman making $14M this season.

Like vz said, if there was a way to keep PG/DG/Roy plus get Monta, that team would be tough. Really tough. Just assume there is no way.

Sports Logo

Trading for Monte for Granger would IMHO be ( at the very least but likely IMHO ) a lateral move.

The only asset that we have is Granger....but that would shift PG over to SF...which ( despite his size ) there are some of us on PD that don't think that PG is ready to handle the stronger SFs in the League....while requiring that we look for another SF to add to the rotation.

Another thing to consider......subtracting Granger and adding Monta...would be a risky move that could disrupt the chemistry of the Team as well as the flow of the offense this season. A move of this level is something that I think is somewhat risky halfway through the season especially with the progress that we have made. At worst, if Monta is the answer at the cost of Granger...I'd wait until the offseason to make this move.

I definitely think that the Team needs to get another quality scoring WingMan to add to the rotation....but I don't think that we need a "Granger-Level" Borderline "All Star" Player ( unless we can get him cheap ). I think that a "George Hill" level type of Player will make an impact....basically one that is a step below Granger that is considered a "decent Starter but more of a high quality Backup 6th/7th rotational Player" that can come at a cheaper price to acquire that doesn't impact the SalaryCap as much.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RLeWorm View Post
    not really. thats more of how much Granger is worth.
    Pretty sure he was kidding...

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Monta.

And no way, Warriors will want a solid defensive wing. My guess is it would take AJ/Paul or Danny. Plus I don't think the Warriors will have an interest in overpaying another big man (David Lee is making $66M over the next 5, Biedrins $27M over the next 3, Kwame $7M. $100M in those players) with Kaman making $14M this season.

Like vz said, if there was a way to keep PG/DG/Roy plus get Monta, that team would be tough. Really tough. Just assume there is no way.
    This. It's nice to dream...but it aint happening.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I'll say this again in a trade deadline thread, but for what its worth. I'm thinking Larry will

A.) Do an Eric Maynor type trade where you get a prospect for just taking on a salary for someone. I can't remember the 2nd piece of that move for OKC, but I would see him getting like getting a Norris Cole for taking on a vet player for Miami that they don't want to play.

B.) Rondo, Josh Smith without giving up a core piece. Who is the core pieces, well its Paul George for sure and Roy Hibbert most likely. Other guys you don't move since you are getting better and don't have to trade from a weak position meaning Danny.

C.) Nothing - team is good and getting better.

I think A or C, but not B unless there is a fire sale somewhere. I think thats the way to go. Come on Ainge, McHale did it for you, don't you owe Larry something?

We'll hear tons of Rondo talk, but I bet if anything, its a Mayo or the like, type deal.

Hey whats a trade deadline without a Mayo to the Pacers rumor?

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

I'm pretty sure we can offer a better package of whatever Minnesota was offering.

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssp...48484/34959637
    He isn't a PG, he is an undersized SG. No thanks....

Here is the part of the article that I agree with the most, I would love to be able to get him while keeping Danny, PG and Hibbert, as a 2nd or 3rd option Monta and the Pacers could destroy teams, I think Hibbert should be the 1st option, Monta 2nd, Danny 3rd.
    IF the warriors want a star for Ellis (as they should, b/c he's an awesome scorer) then we would have to trade AT LEAST one of those players. Also, I'm sure they would want us to take back one of their bad contracts (unfortunately) Bottom line, I'd think it'd be difficult for the pacers to facilitate a trade for Ellis unless they were willing to part with DG.