Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

  1. #1
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,621

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=228570&spln=1


    He is a fool if he thinks he's getting more than this, IMO.

  2. #2
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,646

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    Wow. Had heard he turned down a 5 year deal but didn't know about the financials. I hope that's not accurate or that's a bad start for Grigson, that's far too much.

  3. #3
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29,151

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    Did he turn it down because even he thought he didn't deserve that much? Jeez.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    66
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=228570&spln=1


    He is a fool if he thinks he's getting more than this, IMO.
    Perhaps he just dropped the pen.......

  6. #5
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,204

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    That can't be right.

    1. Grigson would be have to be a damn fool to offer that. It's more than Reggie Wayne's last contract. Way too much.

    2. Garcon cannot hate the Colts enough to turn that down.

    When things make zero sense, like this, it probably never happened.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,503

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    It probably had a $$$ penalty for drops.... ...and his agent was worried he'd end up owing the Colts money....
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,101
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    Ya know who's pissed at Garcon right now? Every other free agent wide receiver in the NFL. They could have pointed at Pierre's deal and said if he got that, you're gonna have to PAY me. If he had taken that, a guy like Marques Colston could have EASILY put himself in the $10mil per year range.

    I do highly doubt the accuracy of the numbers there though.

  11. #8
    Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    835

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    JMV reported it as 5 years, 30 million.

  12. #9
    Dood. Ownagedood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,607

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    Maybe im not in-tune with the common salaries around the league.. But just looking at that number, seems like a pretty good deal for both sides. Garcon is our best big play option, drops or not. He's it.

    As the years go on players are making more and more money, that's why almost every year it seems we break some position record for highest ever paid. Of course his number is going to increase from past WRs numbers.

  13. #10
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    3,671
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe im not in-tune with the common salaries around the league.. But just looking at that number, seems like a pretty good deal for both sides. Garcon is our best big play option, drops or not. He's it.

    As the years go on players are making more and more money, that's why almost every year it seems we break some position record for highest ever paid. Of course his number is going to increase from past WRs numbers.
    He did a lot of his work as a #2 receiver, Reggie really got the majority of attention which made it easier for him to get open especially deep.

    Having him as your #1 option with his drop situations seems horrible, especially for a young QB that is trying to build his confidence.
    Why so SERIOUS

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Really? For This Useful Post:


  15. #11
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,101
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    I don't know why the Colts would be interested in keeping Garcon around really. What they will need is a safety net receiver. A guy who is either big enough to go get balls thrown into coverage, or fast enough to get separation. Garcon doesn't have the size, and while he is fast, he doesn't have elite blow-by-the-defender speed. I have no doubt that Luck could thread the needle if asked, but I'm not sure you want him trying it 30 times a game right away.

  16. #12

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    Garcon really didn't have that many drops last season, at least compared to his first 3 years. He's going to get paid. Great blocker, fast, getting better at running routes.

  17. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    66
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Garcon really didn't have that many drops last season, at least compared to his first 3 years. He's going to get paid. Great blocker, fast, getting better at running routes.
    And he doesn't want to sign on to a rebuilding team with a rookie QB. There is talk of both he and Wayne following Manning wherever he goes.....

  18. #14

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe im not in-tune with the common salaries around the league.. But just looking at that number, seems like a pretty good deal for both sides. Garcon is our best big play option, drops or not. He's it.
    .
    It would tie Anquan Bolden for the 10th highest salary among wide receivers in the league, assuming the lower number ( 5 years/ 30 million) is correct.

    I would like to see somebody try to make an argument that the is among the top 10 receivers in the NFL. He's not. Top 20? Perhaps, but I doubt it.

    http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/top_...ists_numeroten
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  19. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    66
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would tie Anquan Bolden for the 10th highest salary among wide receivers in the league, assuming the lower number ( 5 years/ 30 million) is correct.

    I would like to see somebody try to make an argument that the is among the top 10 receivers in the NFL. He's not. Top 20? Perhaps, but I doubt it.

    http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/top_...ists_numeroten
    Of course he is, the offer proves it...... Perhaps he is willing to play for less with a winning team with a good QB.........

  20. #16

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course he is, the offer proves it
    Does this mean that Rashard Lewis is also the second best player in the NBA? Somebody paid him like that.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:


  22. #17
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    3,671
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    Hey,

    On SC last night they said the reason Garcon turned down the contract was because he wants to see what the Colts do with Peyton first, hopefully that helps the situation.

    I also heard it was a 5 yr 30 mil contract not 35...
    Why so SERIOUS

  23. #18
    Member thewholefnshow31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,134

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    I just keep getting visions of Peerless Price. A fantastic number two WR who gets a big contract to be the number one and then falls flat on his face.

    He did have a much better year last year when it comes to drops, but every other year he was horrible with drops. The huge drop in the Super Bowl still is so fresh in my mind. He probably would still be running today if he caught that ball.

    He is our most explosive WR, but I just do not trust the guy. Yes, he might bail out Luck with some amazing one handed catch, but then on the next third and six will just drop an easy slant to cause us to punt.

    I am not surprised that Garcon wants to see what we do with Manning. I know I would not want to stick around for a rebuilding project with a rookie WR after playing my entire career with Manning.

  24. #19
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    3,671
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    I feel you, I would rather have Wayne, but I am thinking there is a small chance that will happen, Wayne is still a beast in the redzone on the fade route, and he can separate still maybe not as much by speed but more about his route running, and he has very good hands.
    Why so SERIOUS

  25. #20
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,600

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    Glad he turned it down.

    Garcon makes some great plays, but makes some really, really bad ones too.

    IMO, consistency is extremely important in a receiver, particularly in your #1 and #3. And Garcon doesn't have it.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  26. #21
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,988

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    5yrs for $30M still sounds too much.

    Dude doesn't even have 1-1,000yd receiving year. I think he's good, but not that good.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  28. #22
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    3,671
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    To me it all depends on how much is garunteed, I would have to have a bunch of bonuses in there, especially for drops...

    The 1000 yd season does not bother me as much, this was really the year he would have got it if Peyton was not hurt, before that, there were a lot of options and he was trying to become one of the top two targets with Wayne, Dallas and Collie.

    The last couple of years he showed his potential though, he has 2 big things before I think he becomes top receiver, drops and route running.
    Why so SERIOUS

  29. #23

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would tie Anquan Bolden for the 10th highest salary among wide receivers in the league, assuming the lower number ( 5 years/ 30 million) is correct.

    I would like to see somebody try to make an argument that the is among the top 10 receivers in the NFL. He's not. Top 20? Perhaps, but I doubt it.

    http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/top_...ists_numeroten
    Slick these are old numbers and so they are a bit misleading if you look at all the new contracts and the franchise tag players.

    For example Holmes signed a 5 years 45 million dollar contract and Sydney Rice signed a 5 year 43 million dollar contract last year.

    Vincent Jackson under the franchise tag made 11 million and is up for another contract.

    This year you got Wes Welker, DeSean Jackson, Stevie Johnson, and Marques Colston to make big money so if I were to go through all the teams and find out what they are paying their top guys this contract would put him in the top 20's and not the top 10 contracts for the 2012 season.

    So basically this is more of a Joshua Cribbs type of contract (3yr/20mill).

    Not bad but not over spending either IMO.

  30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


  31. #24
    Never Give Up aero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,342
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    hes a fool for turning down that contract. wow

    If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    @thatguyjoe84

  32. #25
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    3,671
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Garcon reportedly turns down 5 year/35 mil contract

    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hes a fool for turning down that contract. wow
    He will get offered it again sometime after the 8th...
    Why so SERIOUS

Similar Threads

  1. ESPN Insider 8/3/04
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 11:56 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 03:31 PM
  3. 6-21 Updated Mock Draft and Rumors
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2004, 05:55 PM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 01:05 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 11:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •