Thread: Who do you think we will target in FA?

RLeWorm

Default Who do you think we will target in FA?

i'm curious of your guys opinion. Do you guys think we have a chance at the big names like Mario Williams?

Default Re: Who do you think we will target in FA?

I bet we could get Haynesworth for a decent price.

Mood

Mario Williams would be nice, but I don't see us having the cash for him. Maybe Farrior. Probably not Haynesworth unless his attitude has changed. Because hasn't he said before he does not like the 3-4 scheme and he would not play it.

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

No one significant.

We have $38 mil in dead money because of everyone we cut.

I'm guessing the plan is to be completely terrible this year anyway and get another high pick (and high picks in the 2nd round, 3rd round, etc.). After next season, when we have another stacked rookie class (and cap room) is when we're gonna start to see improvement.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bet we could get Haynesworth for a decent price.
    Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Dont waste your time or money

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

With our likely draft position next year, I sure wish Matt Kalil were coming out next year rather than this year. Luck would be very fortunate to have an LT in front of him that is also considered to be a once in 10 years player. Unfortunately, not going to happen.

Just hope Luck survives for next year. Our O-Line still needs a C and Guards. And who knows how effective Ijalana will be coming off that ACL tear, so I'd think having' some T depth would be good too. I think Gaither would be ideal. Him and Ijalana can split time since Gaither has some injury history. He can even slide over to LT should Castanzo have some injuries again.

Just a lot of needs, and they keep piling up.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

TE is an area of concern now and really Tamme doesn't fit in well with what the teams is doing.

Given the young age of the line and hopefully a more run focus I hope the Colts go after Marellus Bennett of the Cowboys. His big and he run blocks well along with being a good pass blocker he can also catch.

He could be out of the Colts price range but I think he would be worth it on a back loaded contract.

At WR I would go after Josh Morgan if he cost less than Garcon and he should cost less coming off a leg injury.

DB's I think the Colts should go after Chris Carr of the Ravens. The coach should know him and the system he wants to run.

NT/DT I would go after Gerald Warren if his cost is reasonable.

LB - A cheap option here would be Tavares Gooden former Ravens LB who signed with the Niners last year.

The Ravens also have 3 other LB's up for grabs but only 1 is worth much and he will be too expensive.

Bottom line I would go after Bennett and Morgan and fill in the defense as best as they can through the draft and cheap options this year.

Remember that although the Colts have only around 5-10 million bucks in capspace then can spread signing bonuses and back load the contracts. They can still be players in this free agency IMO.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We aren't going to add anyone worth much. As Cooper said, we have 38 million in dead cap.

Stampedeblue has an interesting article on our cap situation for 2012 and 2013.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/3/1...oday#storyjump

He says that most of this dead cap comes off the books after this year, which means that we will have roughly 40 million in cap space in 2013. So we should be a MAJOR free agent player next season.

Like Manning's rookie year in 1998, 2012 will likely be a lost year from a W-L standpoint. This year will be all about getting Luck experience and hopefully he doesn't get killed out there. If he shows some promise this season then we will be sitting in a very nice spot next year. We will likely have another high draft pick along with some massive cap space. There will be some great opportunities for our management to improve this team relatively quickly.

Assuming Manning doesn't sign with the Titans, the only team worth anything in our division is the Texans. There is no reason to think that we can't be challenging for an AFC South title by 2014 if our management plays it's cards right and if Luck lives up to the hype.

The next few years will be fascinating to follow. Hopefully we don't lose too many fans in the interim. Indy fans have a great opportunity to prove that they are a legitimate fan base that was not completely dependent on one player.

Mood

I had a lot wrote out and it got deleted, so I will just add the list of players along with 2 comments.

I do not think we will address the DE position at all.

I think we will go with productive guys who are not flashy.

RB: Earnest Graham

WR: Josh Morgan, Roscoe Parrish, Donnie Avery, Mike Sims Walker, Chaz Schilens or Derek Hagan depending who the Raiders do not sign back of the two.

TE: Tamme, Will Hiller, If we do not get Tamme, or Fleener through the draft it would be interesting to see if we gave a look to John Carlson.

OL: Chilo Rachal is one that comes to mind but there are so many decent veterans out there.

NT: I have no idea, I really think we will target this in the draft and possibly pick up someone along the way, I doubt we will spend big money on the guy from the Dolphins right now.

LB: Again there are tons of guys that are decent out there that could add depth, but I think this position is pretty much locked up with the group we have, possibly a couple guys to add to depth.

CB: Justin Tyron, lol no but I think this is another position we will possibly only get one guy in, the draft is loaded in this position and we have a ton of prospects here.

S: I believe we will spend money here, our SS position is extremely week, I could even see us targeting a young potential star her in Laron Landry, Pagano has been spoiled with having Reed for all these years, San Diego had Weddle who got a ridiculous contract last year. I think these guys really put a lot of emphasis on this position and I think they will go big, or atleast try to.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Question, every keeps talking about cap space, but my question is as of right now, how much cap room do we have left to complete the roster?

That is the more important thing for me at this point.

I think the only big contracts we have right now are Freeney, Mathis, and Bethea...

I just checked we have 33.5 million to work with this year that is before the Mathis contract in which I have not seen the details yet, and before we either trade Freeney or restructure his contract.

So I am assuming we will have somewhere in the mid 20's to mid 30's depending on how the situation turns out.

We currently only have 4 contracts that are over 2 million dollars, and only 8 total that are over a million.

Cam only made 4 million this year so Luck's contract should not affect us to bad.

So I say at the least we should have about 20 million to used to sign free agents, enough to go after 1 or 2 pretty good ones and then sign smaller contracts for the rest.
    Why so SERIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We aren't going to add anyone worth much. As Cooper said, we have 38 million in dead cap.

Stampedeblue has an interesting article on our cap situation for 2012 and 2013.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/3/1...oday#storyjump
    Yes yes we have 38 million dollars in dead money but the new cba allows you to push a portion of the 2 contract (dead money) into next year or 2013. Thats important because 2 of those contracts of dead money is 10 and 7 million which can free up significant money.

I bet Morgan makes a lot less money than Garcon and will equal his production and on top of that Bennett could also be had at a decent price which can be back loaded.

Either way it doesn't boil down we can't sign someone becuase of that 38 million dollars of dead money. We can and I bet we will find some good second tier players at a good cost.

The wild card in this is what will happen to Freeneys contract. Will they trade him or cut him or keep him. IF they do the first 2 then it will change the whole outcome of this free agency.

Mood

A lot of the guys that I am interested in at WR are being taken off the board... Josh Morgan, Chaz Schilling.
    Why so SERIOUS