Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 146

Thread: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

  1. #51
    Member Hibbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stay at ya mammy house
    Age
    32
    Posts
    976

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a huge problem with this line of thinking, I could probably agree with you if you told me that you don't mind our SG/SF/PF to be the weakest link but the point guard? to me point guard and centers are the most important pieces on any team, you have a weak PG or Center and unless you have Lebron/Dwade you are pretty much screwed.
    Say that to the Lakers.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Say that to the Lakers.
    The Lakers actually make my point, they suck right now because they don't have a competent PG.

  3. #53
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,043

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac_Daddy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Weakest link? Probably. But every time I think we need something different, he puts together a pretty nice game.
    So you're our problem!

    You're not thinking enough! If you were a good Pacer fan you would sit down before every game and think, "We need something different."

    Thus the problem would be solved.

  4. #54
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,811

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?


  5. #55
    Member adamscb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Age
    22
    Posts
    582

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    one thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the draft. why not acquiring a pick and taking kendall marshall? he looks like a true 'floor general'. granted he doesn't have much of an offensive game, but he's pass-first.

  6. #56
    Member Hibbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stay at ya mammy house
    Age
    32
    Posts
    976

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Lakers actually make my point, they suck right now because they don't have a competent PG.
    Who's talking about right now? When Phil Jackson was coach, obviously they ran the triangle which doesn't even require a PG and they won have many? that proves your point is wrong.

  7. #57
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by adamscb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    one thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the draft. why not acquiring a pick and taking kendall marshall? he looks like a true 'floor general'. granted he doesn't have much of an offensive game, but he's pass-first.
    I think there are a couple of reasons for that. One is that we aren't looking at a high draft pick. Putting your hopes into getting a franchise point guard with a pick in the low-mid 20s probably isn't wise. On top of that, this isn't the draft to take a point guard. There are a few that will likely be there in our range (such as Marshall), but they aren't likely to be immediate upgrades over DC. It will probably take some time for these guys to develop.

  8. #58

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    heres the problem.....hes shoot first pas second..... we need pass first shoot second
    I would rather DC shoot first and pass second. DC's one of the better, most efficient scorers on the roster. He should be playing to his strengths.

    Quote Originally Posted by pwee31
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's crazy how quickly things sour here. A year ago this board erupted that we traded Murphy and got Collison. His 2nd year with the team, and 3rd overall and we're looking for the next big thing.
    A lot of us knew we were getting a carpenter with DC. His stats in NO were inflated because he was playing in the Chris Paul system, so I understand how people saw those numbers from afar and are disappointed now. That's the problem with expectations.

    Like it or not, our team's biggest weakness is its lack of a player that creates easy shots for others. I've never seen a player suddenly develop that ability, not in all the years I've watched basketball. We have one player on the roster that can do it, but he hasn't earned minutes and he's not being used in that role.

    Historically that player plays point guard, and right now DC, George Hill and AJ are being asked to play that role. So if we're looking at starters, then yes DC's our weakest link.

    DC is what he is. I criticize his effort on defense more than anything. You wouldn't recognize him if you saw him play defense at UCLA, that's how different he is now. We've seen him play good defense in spurts earlier this season, so now definitely looks like an effort issue.

    Whatever the case may be, I recognize Darren's limits, and still root for him to improve his effort in other areas. I'm glad he's on the team, but we need a significant upgrade.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:


  10. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who's talking about right now? When Phil Jackson was coach, obviously they ran the triangle which doesn't even require a PG and they won have many? that proves your point is wrong.
    So we just need to run the triangle and then we are good......

  11. #60
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,079

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who's talking about right now? When Phil Jackson was coach, obviously they ran the triangle which doesn't even require a PG and they won have many? that proves your point is wrong.
    Isn't this obvious? We don't have a Kobe or Lebron for the point to guard to hand it to and then stand on the perimeter and watch.

    Us normal, regular teams need a point guard who can pass.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  13. #61
    Member Hibbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stay at ya mammy house
    Age
    32
    Posts
    976

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Is that the point? The topic brought up by vnzla was that your point guard cannot be your weakest link and win in the playoffs. The Lakers have proven this wrong time and time again. So did the Jackson Bulls.

  14. #62
    George Hill Apologist mattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,517

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's crazy how quickly things sour here. A year ago this board erupted that we traded Murphy and got Collison. His 2nd year with the team, and 3rd overall and we're looking for the next big thing.

    Obviously if an upgrade is available, you pursue, but let's not down a guy that's help to solidify the point guard position that use to be EXTREMELY unstable
    The board would have erupted if we had traded Murphy for a used urinal cake.

    I don't think people are soured. We just recognize what thei team needs to compete for a championship.

    I've defended DC plenty of times before. I think he's a smart player, he can get to the rim and score, he can nail that jump shot out to 20 feet. I like his game. But he has limitations, and as the weakest link in a starting line of all strong players, his position is probably the one that needs upgraded. If the Pacers are ever going to truly compete for a championship that is.

    Nice thing is, off the bench DC would be an absolutely phenomenal piece for this team. I think he'll thrive in that role, scoring points and eventually maybe even getting him a higher pay day than if he were to continue to start as is.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:


  16. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    This team is years away from competing for a championship. This year is the first time for a long time that they are even relevent. Championships are won by teams who have superstars..... we don't have one much less the two it usually takes to win at that level.

  17. #64
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,079

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that the point? The topic brought up by vnzla was that your point guard cannot be your weakest link and win in the playoffs. The Lakers have proven this wrong time and time again. So did the Jackson Bulls.
    No, that's not the point.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  19. #65
    The Nite Owl LA_Confidential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    1,565

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Collison's been better than Granger this year, but of course Granger continues to get a pass after each and every 2/11, 4/16, etc performance. Seriously, people were calling out Collison after the Hornets game where he shot 8/11 for 18pts 8rebs 6asts and 1to. Even Paul George has been flat out awful at times, but because he's our wonderboy, nobody dares talk negatively about him. But after each and every Collison miss it's "we need 38yo no defense Nash to cure all of our problems".
    In all honesty, Granger gets a pass (with some of us) because its his job to be a "volume scorer". PG gets a pass because he's extremely raw but still give glimpses of potential stardom.

    In terms of the DC vs Nash thing, who's better? I thought so.

    Nash was better when you went to bed last night, Nash was better when you woke up this morning and he'll still be better when you go back to bed tonight.

  20. #66
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This team is years away from competing for a championship. This year is the first time for a long time that they are even relevent. Championships are won by teams who have superstars..... we don't have one much less the two it usually takes to win at that level.
    Still campaigning for darksider of the year? Interesting fact, Swype auto corrects darksider as satisfied. DWill(1 player) could get us a trophy.(in my opinion.)

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

  21. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still campaigning for darksider of the year? Interesting fact, Swype auto corrects darksider as satisfied. DWill(1 player) could get us a trophy.(in my opinion.)

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    No, it wouldn't be enough.... But it would be a good start. You would have to give up most of the team as it is to get him and he would not play for the Pacers regardless of how much money they threw at him.... Such is the plight of small market teams. That is why not many bring in a championship...

  22. #68
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,840

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    When did DWill ever say he wants to play in a big market? I don't remember him ever saying it, but people always say thats what he wants.

  23. #69
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When did DWill ever say he wants to play in a big market? I don't remember him ever saying it, but people always say thats what he wants.
    Not necessarily a big market, but Dallas is his hometown and he can pair with at least one star who has shown the ability to win a title (Dirk, obv). I think that makes them the heavy favorites.

  24. #70

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When did DWill ever say he wants to play in a big market? I don't remember him ever saying it, but people always say thats what he wants.
    Yes lots of star players choose to sign to play in small market teams especially with low fan turnout. Why would he ever say something like that?
    Last edited by speakout4; 02-26-2012 at 09:29 PM.

  25. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,288
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not necessarily a big market, but Dallas is his hometown and he can pair with at least one star who has shown the ability to win a title (Dirk, obv). I think that makes them the heavy favorites.
    Dallas is a small market team?

  26. #72
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dallas is a small market team?
    You need to motor your *** down there. Dallas is very small. Smallest NBA city I do believe.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  28. #73
    Redemption. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    1,685

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    I continue to believe that this team starts truly competing once we have a player that can feed the low post. We have not seen that for years.

    It's the missing piece of Vogels smashmouth old school strategy.

  29. #74
    He's going for three... mikeyism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    DC is doing some things well right now. 6th among PGs in assist/turnover ratio, career high in Pure Point, career 37% 3PT. But to me, he has 'role player' written all over him, and he's basically been the same player for 3 seasons now. He works on D but he can't stop anybody; he has zero strength and we often have to bench him or cross-match against scoring PGs. On offense, he isn't great at creating shots off the bounce and has a slow release.

    I'd be willing to pay top dollar for DWill, or possibly Nash in a 2-year rental deal. If luck would have it, maybe Rondo or Parker would be made available if either Boston or the Spurs went into rebuilding mode. Other than that, I can't see us landing anyone (e.g. Curry, Wall) without losing PG, DG or Roy.

    Would you sign Dwill for $16-18M/yr? Or take Kyle Lowry or Lawson, for DC and draft picks?

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeyism For This Useful Post:


  31. #75
    The Nite Owl LA_Confidential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    1,565

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    DC is doing some things well right now. 6th among PGs in assist/turnover ratio, career high in Pure Point, career 37% 3PT. But to me, he has 'role player' written all over him, and he's basically been the same player for 3 seasons now. He works on D but he can't stop anybody; he has zero strength and we often have to bench him or cross-match against scoring PGs. On offense, he isn't great at creating shots off the bounce and has a slow release.

    I'd be willing to pay top dollar for DWill, or possibly Nash in a 2-year rental deal. If luck would have it, maybe Rondo or Parker would be made available if either Boston or the Spurs went into rebuilding mode. Other than that, I can't see us landing anyone (e.g. Curry, Wall) without losing PG, DG or Roy.

    Would you sign Dwill for $16-18M/yr? Or take Kyle Lowry or Lawson, for DC and draft picks?
    I'll take D Will for 17mil, Alex.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. STAR: Pacers reach deal with city? (link)
    By Reggie4Three in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 07-18-2010, 10:11 PM
  2. Pacers-Celtics Matchups (IndyStar)
    By ChicagoJ in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 09:36 AM
  3. Look back at Pacers Trades
    By Teddy Green in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 08:00 PM
  4. Keeping pace with the Pacers
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 11:58 PM
  5. Pacers History 1993-1994 Season
    By Sollozzo in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •