Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Saras View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah thanks for explaining!

Also Westbrook is not one of the best NBA players, second, Ibaka is nowhere near the to be elite PF, and Harden is good.

Also i was responding with an absurd comment to the absurd thread.

And dont dare to say we have noone dominating, we have Paul George who one day will be HOF'er.
    Lmao!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

My issue with DC is that we are 28th in the league in assists per game, and he can't run a successful pick and roll, drive and kick, or especially run a break properly like a normal starting point guard should be able to. We are a very good team, but assists per game is a huge issue for us (Which is a direct affect of our poor transition game), as well as point guard defense. Lack of point guard play, lack of a pure scorer, and lack of a complete bench is what is keeping us from being an elite team.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    DC is the weakest starter, but if DC is your weakest starter your team is in pretty good shape.
    I have a huge problem with this line of thinking, I could probably agree with you if you told me that you don't mind our SG/SF/PF to be the weakest link but the point guard? to me point guard and centers are the most important pieces on any team, you have a weak PG or Center and unless you have Lebron/Dwade you are pretty much screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I have a huge problem with this line of thinking, I could probably agree with you if you told me that you don't mind our SG/SF/PF to be the weakest link but the point guard? to me point guard and centers are the most important pieces on any team, you have a weak PG or Center and unless you have Lebron/Dwade you are pretty much screwed.
    21-12. We are definitely screwed.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Yes, he's the weakest link. But he's also better than any PG we've had since Jamaal Tinsley. Problem is, that's not saying much. The PG position has been very bad for the Pacers for a long time, and people have gotten used to mediocrity at the position. A player like Rajon Rondo would make a huge difference at that position. Probably as much as if we swapped Hibbert for Dwight Howard. That's just how important the PG position is on a team.
    Agreed. But I'm of the opinion that serious improvement could come even without the likes of Rondo, DWill, etc.

Just a decent distributor who plays effective defense could make a big differences, and I think that player is obtainable right now.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    DC is the weakest starter, but if DC is your weakest starter your team is in pretty good shape.
    This sounds good and got a lot of Thanks. But it's not that simple.

What if D.C. was playing center? Well, sure, he's a good player, but the skills he brings to the position would be a serious weakness.

It's not as drastic as that, but D.C.'s skills are for shooting guard, not point guard. His being a weak link is indeed a serious problem.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

9. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    21-12. We are definitely screwed.
    For the playoffs or competing for a championship? yeah, if you are happy with just having a good midle of the season record, then go ahead and celebrate by all means.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Agreed. But I'm of the opinion that serious improvement could come even without the likes of Rondo, DWill, etc.

Just a decent distributor who plays effective defense could make a big differences, and I think that player is obtainable right now.
    Well, T.J. Ford is probably available from San Antonio. But, he is getting more minutes there now than McBrick gets in Laker land......

For the playoffs or competing for a championship? yeah, if you are happy with just having a good midle of the season record, then go ahead and celebrate by all means.
    I'm not celebrating, but I'm not going to proclaim us "screwed' yet, either. Do I think we are a contender this year? No, far from it. But we have some young guys who still have room for improvement, cap space to make a deal or lure another star, and a great coaching staff. I think we are in a good place. DC is our weakest link, and I would like to see that position upgraded, but I think we can be successful with him being the basketball equivalent of a "game manager" QB.

And you hope team goes from below average team to the one that competes for championship ? Even Miami needs time, i am not even starting about OKC or Philly.

Get real please.

I'm not celebrating, but I'm not going to proclaim us "screwed' yet, either. Do I think we are a contender this year? No, far from it. But we have some young guys who still have room for improvement, cap space to make a deal or lure another star, and a great coaching staff. I think we are in a good place. DC is our weakest link, and I would like to see that position upgraded, but I think we can be successful with him being the basketball equivalent of a "game manager" QB.
    I appreciate the perspective you are bringing here. If you can't land an All-Star point guard right now, appreciate the good DC does bring to to table.

But my concern/frustration is what I mentioned a few posts earlier. I DO think we can find a decent point guard right now to upgrade the position. It doesn't have to be an All-Star. My two cents.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I appreciate the perspective you are bringing here. If you can't land an All-Star point guard right now, appreciate the good DC does bring to to table.

But my concern/frustration is what I mentioned a few posts earlier. I DO think we can find a decent point guard right now to upgrade the position. It doesn't have to be an All-Star. My two cents.
    Yeah, I meant to ask you about that--who do you have in mind? Calderon?

Yeah, I meant to ask you about that--who do you have in mind? Calderon?
    I would consider Calderon if he were around 6-8 million. Maybe. His contract is just too nutty.

I'm thinking Felton, Hinrick, Andre Miller. Some people dismiss them (especially the first two) when I bring them up because they don't have Steve Nash offensive skills. But my point is DECENT distribution and GOOD defense would trump BAD distribution and BAD defense, which is what we currently have.

Banned

I said that "we are screwed" because I don't think we can make it to the second round without improving the PG position, the perfect scenario for me would be to get an starting PG and keep DC to let him destroy bench players and like you said, we have the money and pieces to do it.

I said that "we are screwed" because I don't think we can make it to the second round without improving the PG position, the perfect scenario for me would be to get an starting PG and keep DC to let him destroy bench players and like you said, we have the money and pieces to do it.
    I think we can get to the second round this year. I don't think we have a realistic shot of beating Miami or Chicago once we get there, but the experience is what we need. I just don't know who we can get for a cheap price that will upgrade the PG position. I don't think any of the guys McKey listed are upgrades, especially Hinrich (constantly hobbled) and Felton (he has been truly awful this year). You might be able to talk me into Andre Miller, but his reputation for being something of a diva in the locker room scares me a little bit, especially since our team has great chemistry right now.

We need to see if and how GH can improve the situation. Hill got hurt way too early in the season before the team got used to playing with one another. Sharing the PG position should help. I am not unhappy with what we have now. Consistency from some of the other "all stars" would go a long way

Banned

I think we can get to the second round this year. I don't think we have a realistic shot of beating Miami or Chicago once we get there, but the experience is what we need. I just don't know who we can get for a cheap price that will upgrade the PG position. I don't think any of the guys McKey listed are upgrades, especially Hinrich (constantly hobbled) and Felton (he has been truly awful this year). You might be able to talk me into Andre Miller, but his reputation for being something of a diva in the locker room scares me a little bit, especially since our team has great chemistry right now.
    Yeah I always like Hinrich but at this point I think GH kind of duplicates what Hinrich brings, I like Felton and like I said before in another thread I don't think you can judge him for what he is doing in Portland because that system is bad for point guards in general.

I like Andre Miller but like you said he is a bit of a diva, he wants to start not matter what in his next team and I don't like that type of attitute, to me the best choice at the moment is Calderon, great floor general that knows how to pass the ball and create for others, his defense is bad but not as bad as some people here think, him playing in a crappy team with not defenders makes him look worse than what he is, a first round pick plus some players should get the Raptors interested.

It's crazy how quickly things sour here. A year ago this board erupted that we traded Murphy and got Collison. His 2nd year with the team, and 3rd overall and we're looking for the next big thing.

Obviously if an upgrade is available, you pursue, but let's not down a guy that's help to solidify the point guard position that use to be EXTREMELY unstable

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I've given up on the whole Deron Williams ever coming here idea no matter how much sense it would make for us. There are probably a good 4 or 5 times a game that I just groan because someone was standing WIDE OPEN and Darren missed it cause he's not looking up and concentrating on how he's going to beat the guy in front of him and where he's going to go with the ball. Rondo would be a perfect fit for us and he always seems to abuse Derrick Rose which would be another plus.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

I think the Pacers can beat the Heat and the Bulls as long as they have really good defenders at all 5 positions, and play unselfish ball. I like said earlier in the year. We are not going to out superstar or out talent the Heat or the Bulls. So we have to out defend them. You play lock down defense and you will always give yourself a chance to win at the end. Thats why i want to see GH starting at point or atleast finishing games.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I think the Pacers can beat the Heat and the Bulls as long as they have really good defenders at all 5 positions, and play unselfish ball. I like said earlier in the year. We are not going to out superstar or out talent the Heat or the Bulls. So we have to out defend them. You play lock down defense and you will always give yourself a chance to win at the end. Thats why i want to see GH starting at point or atleast finishing games.
    The Pacers can be the Bulls or the Heat in the playoffs? Oh, they might win one game. You need to serious come down to earth......

I said that "we are screwed" because I don't think we can make it to the second round without improving the PG position
    The second round? I totally agree on the third round, but the second?

We're currently the #3 seed. It's reasonable to think we could end the year there (hardest part of our schedule is behind us). Which one of the bottom seeds do you think is going to win 4 of 7 against us when we've got home court?

I don't think we (yet) have the guns to take out Miami or Chicago, but against anyone else I like our chances.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    The second round? I totally agree on the third round, but the second?

We're currently the #3 seed. It's reasonable to think we could end the year there (hardest part of our schedule is behind us). Which one of the bottom seeds do you think is going to win 4 of 7 against us when we've got home court?

I don't think we (yet) have the guns to take out Miami or Chicago, but against anyone else I like our chances.
    I guess we would have to wait and see what happens then, I still see us finishing 6th if we don't make a move.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    It's crazy how quickly things sour here. A year ago this board erupted that we traded Murphy and got Collison. His 2nd year with the team, and 3rd overall and we're looking for the next big thing.

Obviously if an upgrade is available, you pursue, but let's not down a guy that's help to solidify the point guard position that use to be EXTREMELY unstable
    It was more about getting rid of Murphy for me..... I like Collison but honestly as a backup.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    I've given up on the whole Deron Williams ever coming here idea no matter how much sense it would make for us. There are probably a good 4 or 5 times a game that I just groan because someone was standing WIDE OPEN and Darren missed it cause he's not looking up and concentrating on how he's going to beat the guy in front of him and where he's going to go with the ball. Rondo would be a perfect fit for us and he always seems to abuse Derrick Rose which would be another plus.
    NASH

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post: