Thread: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Question The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

C - Hibbert (All-Star)
    PF - West (former All-Star)
    SF - Granger (former All-Star)
    SG - George (future All-Star?)
    PG - Collison (...)

I love DC as a back-up, but to be a serious contender, I think we need to upgrade the 1.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Default Re: The Pacers' weakest link: DC?

yeah, obviously
    Collison is a defensive liability and doesn't have really good ways of scoring the ball or supreme court vision (So many times I've seen West in good position but not getting the ball, or Granger open outside, or Hibbert getting the ball 3-4 seconds after he should have gotten it)
    Collison isn't a bad point guard, he's good enough for now, but if we really plan on being a top 4 team in the east we need a better point guard.
    Last edited by yoadknux; 02-26-2012 at 09:01 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

I think DC's played pretty well this year. That said, I definitely agree if we're just talking starters. DC is still a young player, but I think his defense is what it will be, and that's honestly my biggest issue with him. I'd start somebody like Earl Watson over him based on that alone.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I figured this out last year without the help of any All-Star voting.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Yes.

Next stop June 2015

Yes, he's the weakest link. But he's also better than any PG we've had since Jamaal Tinsley. Problem is, that's not saying much. The PG position has been very bad for the Pacers for a long time, and people have gotten used to mediocrity at the position. A player like Rajon Rondo would make a huge difference at that position. Probably as much as if we swapped Hibbert for Dwight Howard. That's just how important the PG position is on a team.

I hope we go after Deron Williams in the off season. His stock has gone down in NJ, and if he doesn't end up with Dwight, he can't stay in NJ. He'd make us a legit title contender.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Weakest link? Probably. But every time I think we need something different, he puts together a pretty nice game.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mac_Daddy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

DC is the weakest starter, but if DC is your weakest starter your team is in pretty good shape.

14. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm cool with DC.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Long term? Maybe.

But I wouldn't say that he's been outplayed by Paul George so far this year. Paul George has all-star potential, sure, but he's not there yet. DC's been playing pretty well unless he's going up against Deron Williams.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

My biggest concern with DC is just his passing and court vision. I think to be truly an elite team, that side of his game is going to have to get better or we look elsewhere.

I've never had a problem with DC. I think he's a good player. But talent wise, I like to compare our team to OKC and Miami. If we're ever going to compete with them, we have to raise our talent level by a lot. That's once again why I think a serious look at Deron Williams this summer (so long as Dwights whole scenario doesn't go as planned).

5 former/current all stars starting could possibly compete with Miami and OKC. That's what the Pacers need to be able to do.

And we'll still need DC. We'll still need him to come of the bench and score points for a non-scoring bench squad.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

he's a real good back up Point Guard. Nothing against the guy, he's solid but he lacks size and ball IQ.

heres the problem.....hes shoot first pas second..... we need pass first shoot second

Collison's been better than Granger this year, but of course Granger continues to get a pass after each and every 2/11, 4/16, etc performance. Seriously, people were calling out Collison after the Hornets game where he shot 8/11 for 18pts 8rebs 6asts and 1to. Even Paul George has been flat out awful at times, but because he's our wonderboy, nobody dares talk negatively about him. But after each and every Collison miss it's "we need 38yo no defense Nash to cure all of our problems".

25. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    heres the problem.....hes shoot first pas second..... we need pass first shoot second
    People say things like this all the time and I'm just not sure that is the case. How many true "pass first" point guards are there in the league? Nash, Rubio, Calderon, Rondo and CP3 are the ones that come to mind most readily. Plus, we need a scorer still. I have been a DC defender, but I agree that he is the weakest link in our starting five, and don't really think there's any debate over that. An upgrade would be nice, but I'm not sure how we do that without creating a hole somewhere else in the starting five.

I am good with DC starting,and being the weakest link starter. You can't have an all-star at every position.
    Now that GH is back and AJ playing better, I would go with what we have at the point for the rest of the year.

I'm fine with DC as of right now. Yes, he is the weakest starter, but I think a lot of this is just nitpicking. Could we use an upgrade? Sure, but at what cost?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to peasouptexan7 For This Useful Post:

Keeping it real...I just want a bigger PG period. I don't mind Collison overall. I wouldn't be actively shopping him, unless I decided to act on a trade rumor. However, he's the one player that I wouldn't give that much to trading him. Personally, I'm in the camp that wouldn't mind giving Stephenson the starting PG job to see how he fits. I swear, IMHO, he just seems to be the better passer with better court vision when comparing the two. If Lance works on his jumper this summer, I believe he could become consistent role player at the min.

Tyler would be a close second for me as far as trade bait goes.

If the Nets don't get Dwight, it's generally assumed that Deron will be a Mav.

That's just one of those things when you aren't a warm weather or big market team. One of those types of teams will always be able to match the money.

Collison is alright, and he's only 24. His best basketball is probably ahead.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to danman For This Useful Post:

Kendrick Perkins ( ... )
    Ibaka ( ... )
    Durant ( all star )
    Sefolosha ( ... )
    Westbrook ( all star )

Good luck in playoffs OKC, having only 2 all stars/future all stars/old time all stars in starting 5.

Sorry to break your bubble, Miami Heat, you arent going anywhere with only 2 all stars in your starting five either, you either go with 5 all stars or rebuild!

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I like DC as a player and a person, but if we have a shot at Deron Williams if the Nets don't get Dwight we better take it. I'm hoping for some kind of move before the trade deadline even if it's not this... I'd be fine with DC for the rest of the season if we can get a guy like Kaman or something for basically nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Saras View Post
    Kendrick Perkins ( ... )
    Ibaka ( ... )
    Durant ( all star )
    Sefolosha ( ... )
    Westbrook ( all star )

Good luck in playoffs OKC, having only 2 all stars/future all stars/old time all stars in starting 5.

Sorry to break your bubble, Miami Heat, you arent going anywhere with only 2 all stars in your starting five either, you either go with 5 all stars or rebuild!
    Ugh.

It's not a numbers game, it's just having the ability to play on the same court as OKC and Miami.

Miami has the best player in the NBA and the best two guard. They dominate. We have no one who can dominate. Deron at times can be a dominate player and if we added him, we'd be a complete team possibly being able to compete for a title.

By the way, Durant/Westbrook are two of the best players in the league, Ibaka is one of the best PF's in the league, and Harden is one of the best two guards in the league. That team is absolutely stacked.

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Ugh.

It's not a numbers game, it's just having the ability to play on the same court as OKC and Miami.

Miami has the best player in the NBA and the best two guard. They dominate. We have no one who can dominate. Deron at times can be a dominate player and if we added him, we'd be a complete team possibly being able to compete for a title.

By the way, Durant/Westbrook are two of the best players in the league, Ibaka is one of the best PF's in the league, and Harden is one of the best two guards in the league. That team is absolutely stacked.
    Ah thanks for explaining!

Also Westbrook is not one of the best NBA players, second, Ibaka is nowhere near the to be elite PF, and Harden is good.

Also i was responding with an absurd comment to the absurd thread.

And dont dare to say we have noone dominating, we have Paul George who one day will be HOF'er.