Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Isola, NY Daily News - "Knicks could easily get to the #3 seed"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Frank Isola, NY Daily News - "Knicks could easily get to the #3 seed"

This guy. He is on NBATV with Aldridge et al and they are discussing the Knicks. He claims the Knicks shouldn't have a problem catching Philly, and if they do the #3 seed is theirs.

Followed by saying, "Hey, you get the Bulls in round 2, meet up with Miami in the ECF. Some people may say this is a stretch, but look at how well they played against Miami without Lin/Melo doing well!"

1. "Some people" may say that is a stretch? Anyone with something resembling a brain would say that.

2. So, staying close with Miami now makes you the #3 team in the East?

3. Why should anyone think the Knicks are better than:
    a. Indiana
    b. Orlando
    c. Atlanta
    d. Philly

What a joke. At least I'm reminded how much I hate the Knicks.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Frank Isola, NY Daily News - "Knicks could easily get to the #3 seed"

If I remember right, the division winners are the first three seeds, thus he's right, if the Knicks pass Philly they would likely be the third seed. That doesn't mean other teams like the Pacers and Magic couldn't have better records.

Hmmm, they might have changed that a couple years ago though . . . let me check this out.

EDIT: NBA Playoff Format http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Playoffs

Following the NBA regular season, eight teams in each conference qualify for the playoffs and are seeded one to eight.
    The team that has the best record in each of the three divisions in each conference is declared division champion. The three champions, and another team in the conference with the best record, are seeded one through four by their records. This guarantees that the division champions will be no lower than fourth seed, and also ensures that a conference's two best teams (by record) are ranked as the top two.

However, because the NBA does not re-seed its teams and because home court advantage goes to the team with the better record, not the better seeding, division winners are guaranteed no better than a de-facto five seed, as their 4th seeding does not guarantee home court advantage in the first round, and after the first round the 4 vs 5 winner will play the same teams as the loser would have played had they won the first round. This will continue throughout the remainder of the playoffs and to the finals until the 4 vs 5 winner loses a playoff round or wins the championship. Of the remaining eleven conference teams, the four with the best records are seeded fifth through eighth based on their record.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 02-24-2012 at 07:05 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Frank Isola, NY Daily News - "Knicks could easily get to the #3 seed"

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

This guy. He is on NBATV with Aldridge et al and they are discussing the Knicks. He claims the Knicks shouldn't have a problem catching Philly, and if they do the #3 seed is theirs.

Followed by saying, "Hey, you get the Bulls in round 2, meet up with Miami in the ECF. Some people may say this is a stretch, but look at how well they played against Miami without Lin/Melo doing well!"

1. "Some people" may say that is a stretch? Anyone with something resembling a brain would say that.

2. So, staying close with Miami now makes you the #3 team in the East?

3. Why should anyone think the Knicks are better than:
    a. Indiana
    b. Orlando
    c. Atlanta
    d. Philly

What a joke. At least I'm reminded how much I hate the Knicks.

I think it is entirely possible that the Knicks could pass all four of those teams. I expect them to get better and I expect Boston to be better in the second half too.......

possible ? yes. Probable?

if the Pacers go 17 - 16 over the 2ndhalf, which is a lot worse than the fist half, then NY (who has only 31 games left) needs to 21 - 10 to match us.
    Philly then has to go no better than 18-14 and Orlando no better than 16-15 while Atlanta can not do better then 18-14

And that is without looking at deciders.

mathemical highly unlikley.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    possible ? yes. Probable?

if the Pacers go 17 - 16 over the 2ndhalf, which is a lot worse than the fist half, then NY (who has only 31 games left) needs to 21 - 10 to match us.
    Philly then has to go no better than 18-14 and Orlando no better than 16-15 while Atlanta can not do better then 18-14

And that is without looking at deciders.

mathemical highly unlikley.
    And the way he spoke about it in the interview, it was hilarious.

He basically acted as though the Knicks have no issues as a team, and should be the #3, and flippantly talked like getting to the ECF would be a reasonable expectation.

All for a team that two weeks ago was 7 games under .500

Not saying they aren't an ok team, just not buying into Lin turning them into one of the top 3 teams in the East.

Knicks are dangerous with JR Smith in the rotation now.

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    Knicks are dangerous with JR Smith in the rotation now.
    You serious? can they play together ? who takes the shot?
    Unless the NBA starts playing with 2 balls, there aint enough ball to go round on that team
    And you can have as many scorers as you want; in the end you need a "team" to play basketball

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Tell that to Steve Novak.

Banned

Yeah NY is the 3rd best team in the east, they are the only ones that have a chance to beat Chicago and probably Miami, even though I don't think Miami lose to anybody this year.

People need to read Will Galen's post carefully. If the Knicks manage to pass Philly, who seem to be coming down to Earth, then they will be seeded higher than us, even if we have a better record. Unless, of course, we manage to pass Chicago.

edit-- my bad, I was wrong, only got half of the story... only a top 4 is guaranteed
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 02-24-2012 at 08:23 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    People need to read Will Galen's post carefully. If the Knicks manage to pass Philly, who seem to be coming down to Earth, then they will be seeded higher than us, even if we have a better record. Unless, of course, we manage to pass Chicago.
    no wrong, even if they do, if they have a lesser record than the Pacers they will be seeded 4 and not 3

Winning a division guarantees you a top 4 seed not a particular one, if Chi has the best record and ours would be better than Miami, we would be 2nd

16. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    That's not correct. They are only then guaranteed a top four seed. If the Pacers had the third best record in the East behind Chicago and Miami, the Pacers are the three seed and NY (or Philly) is four.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yeah NY is the 3rd best team in the east, they are the only ones that have a chance to beat Chicago and probably Miami, even though I don't think Miami lose to anybody this year.
    Yeah, probably. I don't think they will get the 3 seed in the East just because they have such an uphill climb to get it, but I think they are probably the most dangerous Eastern Conference playoff team after the Miami/Chicago duo.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Homerrrr
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

They are?

Not according to the standings they aren't. You know that pesky thing called the win/loss record that actually shows New York as being the seventh best team in the East.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    They are?

Not according to the standings they aren't. You know that pesky thing called the win/loss record that actually shows New York as being the seventh best team in the East.
    The are not right now but at the end the will, either by seating or end result on the playoffs.

Lin,Amare and Melo had an ok night last night and they only lost by 10(I think) no other team can do that in the east in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    They are?

That's not fair. They've played the majority of the season without Lin, Amare, and Melo. They are much better than their record indicates.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    That's not fair. They've played the majority of the season without Lin, Amare, and Melo. They are much better than their record indicates.
    they've also had the easiest schedule than any other team in the league halfway through the season.

It's going to be fun when reality hits that team. I think Lin will be good but I think the expectations he's been dealt are unrealistic and unfair. Also speaking of Lin it sucks how much you have to hear about him because of him being in New York and ESPN cause I'm just getting tired of hearing about it to the point that I want them to go on some insane losing streak just so that I don't have to hear about it.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

The are not right now but at the end the will, either by seating or end result on the playoffs.

Lin,Amare and Melo had an ok night last night and they only lost by 10(I think) no other team can do that in the east in my opinion.
    Really? You didn't watch the game cause it was over at halftime. The knicks were never in that game ever. They have no chemistry and every one of their big names are all so inconsistant. I like the TEAM we got in a seven game series more than that joke you call the knicks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    Really? You didn't watch the game cause it was over at halftime. The knicks were never in that game ever. They have no chemistry and every one of their big names are all so inconsistant. I like the TEAM we got in a seven game series more than that joke you call the knicks.
    I'm pretty sure they are call the Knicks, I did not name them.

It will be pretty difficult for the Knicks to get homecourt in the first round. 17 of the 31 left are on the road and 19 of the 31 are against teams currently in the playoffs. Even with identical schedules, it would be hard for the Knicks to make up how many games they are behind. But the schedules aren't identical as the Knicks probably have the hardest schedule in the East though after the break. It isn't all that likely for them to even get past Philly.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Hicks vs Knicks would be fun. 4vs5 seed could happen
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

I'm pretty sure they are call the Knicks, I did not name them.
    You missed the point smart a. They aren't a real team, they are a circus act, a joke and it all starts with their management. On paper you see the names and know what each player is capable of but it doesn't translate on the court and it won't unless they do something about it. You can't make a team when half the players on that team are some of the most selfish players alive. My point was you didn't even watch the Heat and Knicks game, you just saw that the Knicks lost by ten and thought that wasn't bad but in reality, had you watched the game, you would of known that the Knicks were completely out of that game the whole time. Keep posting your know all brotha.

Mood

I love how people buy into the hype around the Knicks.

You're going to tell me Jeremy Lin, J.R. Smith and Tyson Chandler single handedly make the Knicks improve 5 spots? Last season they were a bad 8 seed, now they are a 3 seed that can beat Chicago?

Ok.

Mood

They also lost to New Orleans and New Jersey.

And they aren't the only team to hang with Miami, Milwaukee beat them twice this year.

You shouldn't base a teams viability based on one game. Miami is as vulnerable to a bad game as anyone. And anyone who watched that NYK/MIA game last night realized NY wasn't any closer to beating Miami than the Pacers were.

NY could turn out to be great, but as of now it is all guesswork. They have lost 3 of 5 after a scintillating start to the Lin era, lets see how things balance out.