Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Bird: "We're going to try and strengthen this team"

Default Re: Larry Bird: "We're going to try and strengthen this team"

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doubt it, not w/o some sort of future pick or something of legitimate value from us. Him potentially being buried behind Hansbrough again would be pretty funny though.

With none of the defense. Not that I'd complain about getting Morrow.
    Morrow's owed 4 million after this year and I would like to keep that capspace for another FA.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Outside of saving money no not really. The advantage is to get something in return in the end and Hawes showed enough to warrant a bigger contract next year. Also IMO Williams will probably opt out of his contract next year and the Sixers may end up pretty close to the LT if they try to resign both. Certainly a team will offer Hawes a bigger contract than they would like to pay for next year.
    The Sixers can amnesty Brand and if they do that they'll be a huge player in FA. They're not in need of salary dumping at the moment.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    The Raptors goal is to offer as much as they can to Chandler, I think is going to be around 9/10mil, so right now they need to find a team that's willing to take into either one of their players contract.
    Based off of Gamble1's response:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    There is a percentage of how much the front loaded contract can decrease per year and I don't believe they can restructure it. Milsap is an example from the Jazz and Trailblazers.
    Assuming that they clear Barbosa from their books.....that would leave them at $47.4 mil....roughly $45 mil if they also clear Gray....what would be a Frontloaded but reasonable Contract that they can offer Wilson?

I'm guessing that there is a limit as how much they can frontload an offer based off of how much they want to offer and how it can be structurally "frontloaded" and how far below the SalaryCap that they are under.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Isn't him pretty much Brandon Rush?
    Mediocre to bad defender, loves to shoot or create his shots (amazing in the first, bad in the second) the moment he gets the ball in his hands. So, no

PS: I may be wrong, though.

Sports Logo

Well, honestly, the only real way for us to get good value in my opinion is if somehow we get caught in a trade that involves a superstar (Like if Dwight goes to NJ and they need to shed Morrow/Farmar/Petro etc). Otherwise, I find it hard to believe that teams would just dump players for nothing, that includes Barbosa and Calderon. The dumped player must have a really bad contract for his production if they plan on dumping him, and if it is that bad then we wouldn't want the player. Both Barbosa and Calderon would cost us a pick.
    Nobody from Philly is available for nothing. Especially not Hawes.
    And there's no way Toronto will trade their lotto pick to get rid of expirings, especially when they can get some value for these expirings.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would like to see us go after DJ Augustine or even try to pry Kemba out of the Bobcats....I know they're not hurting on payroll, but I think either would be an upgrade to the 1....They both have relatively low contracts still, and would be a good upgrade. I would prefer Kemba, but let's face it....He was a first rounder last year, and I am sure they haven't given up on him yet.....

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I'll say again if there is any truth to the rumorst that you can get Anthony Marrow for cap space & or a low round pick/fringe player then by all means that is the way to go.
    I know that the addition of the 1st round pick came from the Morrow/Mayo Swap....but did the "inclusion" of the 1st round pick come from the Nets ( in an attempt to clear Morrow's 2012-2013 Salary from their books )?

or

Was the asking price by the Grizzlies for the Mayo was Morrow AND a 1st?

What I don't know is if the Nets went to the Grizzlies and offered a straight up swap of Mayo for Morrow...and then the Grizzlies ( who as been rumored to be asking for a 1st for Mayo ) countering with the Nets asking for a 1st along with Morrow to get rid of Mayo.

My guess is that it was the Grizzlies insistence that a 1st go along with Morrow is what killed any deal.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    Well, honestly, the only real way for us to get good value in my opinion is if somehow we get caught in a trade that involves a superstar (Like if Dwight goes to NJ and they need to shed Morrow/Farmar/Petro etc). Otherwise, I find it hard to believe that teams would just dump players for nothing, that includes Barbosa and Calderon. The dumped player must have a really bad contract for his production if they plan on dumping him, and if it is that bad then we wouldn't want the player. Both Barbosa and Calderon would cost us a pick.
    Nobody from Philly is available for nothing. Especially not Hawes.
    And there's no way Toronto will trade their lotto pick to get rid of expirings, especially when they can get some value for these expirings.
    If they are truly interested in going after Wilson Chandler while trying to frontload an offer while forcing the Nuggets to "blink", I can see them trying to get rid of Barbosa in an attempt to do that. As mentioned, clearing Barbosa would put them at $47 mil and in a position to offer a solid Contract offer to Chandler.

I would not complain either but giving away a first round pick to bring a guy that's similar to Brandon Rush but without the D? That doesn't sound smart to me.
    Plus, for all the talk about him being a good shooter, his shooting hasn't been impressive. Meh. Seems awfully streaky to me.

I just want Marshon Brooks so badly. *sigh*
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Banned
    Mood

id really like kaman. quit being stubborn stern and let us have him!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am sure Bird is talking to teams like the Lakers or Celtics or Spurs or Magic who are over the Luxury Tax. Those teams would give up first round picks just to avoid doubling their costs in LT. We pick up a player by using cap space and a roster spot that other teams don't have and are rewarded with a first. Imagine if we do this with two expirings and then end up with three first round picks from 21-30. That is a ton of trade value. We could trade all three to move into the lottery. We could also use those picks to make a deal this off-season. We could take four players in the draft for next year, which would fill our roster by only resigning our three restricted free agents. I think these roster spots and cap space have way more value to our franchise than we realize.

I bet we see a deal where we pick up a first for a salary dump and then I could see us making a trade to improve our roster. I bet we will have a fun trade deadline day.
    "Your course, your path, is not going to be like mine," West says. "Everybody is not called to be a multimillionaire. Everybody's not called to be the president. Whatever your best work is, you do it. Do it well. … You cease your own greatness when you aspire to be someone else."

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Didn't the nets offer something absolutely insane like 4 or 6 future #1 draft picks to Portland for Gerald Wallace and helping facilitate a trade between them at the begining of the year to try and aquire Dwight? If the Pacers could get that kind of deal offered to them for someone like Granger who I think is a better player than Wallace and helping facilitate that whole trade for the Nets that would be something worth looking into.

A lot of things hinges upon something like that though, the Nets would have to be willing to go all in, in a last-ditch effort attempt to get Dwight

the magic would actually have to be willing to trade dwight as well.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Plus, for all the talk about him being a good shooter, his shooting hasn't been impressive. Meh. Seems awfully streaky to me.

I just want Marshon Brooks so badly. *sigh*
    Morrow isn't impressive to you? He's a career 43.9% 3pt shooter. To put that in persective, if he retired right now, he's be 4th all time as far as percentages go.

Kerr, Hubert Davis, and Stephen Curry being the three above him.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...ct_career.html
    Last edited by Since86; 02-23-2012 at 03:56 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post
    I would like to see us go after DJ Augustine or even try to pry Kemba out of the Bobcats....I know they're not hurting on payroll, but I think either would be an upgrade to the 1....They both have relatively low contracts still, and would be a good upgrade. I would prefer Kemba, but let's face it....He was a first rounder last year, and I am sure they haven't given up on him yet.....
    FOLLOW ME: @WarnerSays

IU > Kentucky

Biggest PHILLIES PHAN in Indiana

“And as I go,I go with just a few words left to say,a few words I want to address to Colts fans everywhere, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback. Thank you.”
    - Peyton Manning

17. The Following User Says Thank You to _The_Future_ For This Useful Post:

Banned

I don't know but I don't think I'll be too happy if they trade our pick for Morrow, we trade Rush for Lou to GS and then we turn around and try to get a similar player to Rush who makes more than Rush plus giving up a first round pick for him? Stupid deal if you ask me.

I really don't think trading the first round pick for Morrow is the option. The Pacers don't have to send anything out in order to take on the additional salary. NJ would get a TE.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

wouldn't mind cole aldrich or robin lopez as back up centers. i also think calderon would be an upgrade over collison

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I really don't think trading the first round pick for Morrow is the option. The Pacers don't have to send anything out in order to take on the additional salary. NJ would get a TE.
    The rumor is that NJ wants another pick for Howard, trading Morrow for nothing doesn't do anything for them.

Maybe we could get Derrick Rose from Chicago while we're at it!

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by mrknowname View Post
    wouldn't mind cole aldrich or robin lopez as back up centers. i also think calderon would be an upgrade over collison
    Id be happy with Lopez

The rumor is that NJ wants another pick for Howard, trading Morrow for nothing doesn't do anything for them.
    They wouldn't just be trading Morrow for nothing though. They'd be getting a TE that can be used to take on more salary, like taking Hedo along with Howard.

They want another draft pick probably to replace the one they had to send out, not send out two. I'm not even sure they can do that anymore, can they? I know the new rules is you can't send out two in consecutive years, but can you send out two in the same year? I doubt that's been asked and answered yet.

While it would certainly help NJ, like you've already said, it wouldn't be that good of a move by the Pacers.

I don't see Larry making a bad deal, just to do something. I think he'd rather finish the season with the roster as is, or look to make another trade, if it just didn't make sense. They didn't get in this position by being impatient.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacersCenter View Post
    Stephen Jackson is wanting out of Milwaukee, maybe they could dump him here?
    I just threw up a little. That's not a funny joke.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Did you look at his contract?

2011-2012 - $5.395 mil
    2012-2013 - $5.799 mil
    2013-2014 - $6.204 mil
    2014-2015 - $6.600 mil ( Player Option )

I love his scoring...but he'd be a bit expensive if you ask me.
    Regarding Richardson, he has been really off. A step slow, not great conditioning, really hasn't performed well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I'll say again if there is any truth to the rumorst that you can get Anthony Marrow for cap space & or a low round pick/fringe player then by all means that is the way to go.
    I'd agree. A deadeye shooter that could get minutes off the bench (12-15mpg I would think)

Not trying to be a dbag, but are you kidding? I'd imagine that DJ/Kemba are the only players you COULDN'T get.

I like Ilyasova, but where is he going to play? If he plays PF, you already have West and Hansbro. I don't see enuff minutes at SF for him either. I just don't see a place for him unless someone, Hansbro?, is traded to get him minutes.

Barbosa and Morrow are small SG like Hill and Stephenson. There is already a problem now with Hill back how to distribute the minutes to the guards. He's had 20 double figure games out of 35 games this season shooting 42% and 40%. He's only 4 mil ,and he's an expiring next season.

I'd take a look at Koufos as b/u 5. You can't count on Foster, and Lou isn't a true 7' Center. The 5 spot could use some strength. Give them the 015 2nd from GS and cap for Koufos.

I'm not sure how to strengthen the bench other than a b/u Center.

I do like the idea of picking up another 1st.

Who the hell decided Morrow was similar to Rush ? Other than the fact that they are both good 3 pt shooters at the SG position....I fail to see any similarities. That would be like saying Troy Murphy & Dirk are similar players just because they play the same position and shoot the 3 at a similar %.......let me help....they aren't similar at all.

I wouldn't give a 1st rounded for Morrow...but lets not act like he wouldn't help our 2nd unit in the scoring department. If the Nets were willing to give him up as merely a salary dump I think I would have to seriously consider it if I were calling the shots.

if we get kaman..... i believe this team has a good chance of getting to the finals.... I'm being serious

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post: