Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Bird: "We're going to try and strengthen this team"

Default Re: Larry Bird: "We're going to try and strengthen this team"

We just need a good shooter right now. Simple as that. No way the Pacers are able to make an upgrade at the point thru a salary dump. But we could get a good shooter.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Banned

Damn I was looking at Calderon numbers and he had 15 assists and 1 TO in his last game, it was againts Detroit but still.

edit: Only scored 6 points at that game by the way.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 02-23-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's a FA after this season and there won't be any incentive to do a sign and trade from Ersans stand point.
    I didn't know that. The impression that I got from Buck boards was that he was going to leave at the summer. A lot of them said that he wanted to return to Europe. Anyway, thanks for the info.

I don't see anything noteworthy in his comments. I would hope they are always looking to strengthen the team. That is his job and with the trade deadline exactly 3 weeks away, sure I would expect them to be speaking with every team in the NBA.

5. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I didn't know that. The impression that I got from Buck boards was that he was going to leave at the summer. A lot of them said that he wanted to return to Europe. Anyway, thanks for the info.
    He misses the dead donkey smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I don't see anything noteworthy in his comments. I would hope they are always looking to strengthen the team. That is his job and with the trade deadline exactly 3 weeks away, sure I would expect them to be speaking with every team in the NBA.
    buzz kill

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

I wonder what the chances are that Bird will be able to steal Jason Richardson way when they Deal Howard??

What about Spencer Hawes? The sixers are at 66 mill and he would cost 4 million. His stock is also down with being injuried.

Also maybe Jodie Meeks.

Grant Hill would also be available.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    The highlighted part sounds to me like Barbosa or Calderon, Toronto needs the cap space to get Wilson Chandler.
    A question to the Cap-ologist ( where is count55 when you need him ?), if an opposing Team offers a 4 year / $30 mil contract that is heavily frontloaded ( say $10 mil in the 1st year and then $6.6 mil per year AFTERWARDS for each of the 3 remaining years )....can the Team owning the RFA rights match the $30 mil contract but structure it anyway that they want ( as in $6 mil per year over 5 years )?

My guess is that they can't restructure a Contract offer from another Team......and since the Nuggets are at $59 mil...just like what they did with Jarrett Jack and a "Capped out" Pacers ( who couldn't match ), I'd guess that the Raptors are going to heavily frontload a contract offer to Chandler in hopes that they will not match.

Correct me if I am wrong...but isn't Aaron Gray more of a defensive minded but somewhat decent Backup Center?

If he is....as "Backup Plan #152325", I'd consider 1st+Barbosa+Gray ( both are Expiring Contracts ) for Capspace+2nd round pick IF the Raptors TRULY wanted to clear Capspace.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I wonder what the chances are that Bird will be able to steal Jason Richardson way when they Deal Howard??
    I've tossed around the idea of J-Rich as well, but for what we'd have to pay him there are other veterans out there that would bring in what he has to offer for much less.. I think he is an older and much more expensive twin to PG24

How about using that cap space to obtain another first round pick for this year.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    A question to the Cap-ologist ( where is count55 when you need him ?), if an opposing Team offers a 4 year / $30 mil contract that is heavily frontloaded ( say $10 mil in the 1st year and then $6.6 mil per year AFTERWARDS for each of the 3 remaining years )....can the Team owning the RFA rights match the $30 mil contract but structure it anyway that they want ( as in $6 mil per year over 5 years )?

My guess is that they can't restructure a Contract offer from another Team......and since the Nuggets are at $59 mil...just like what they did with Jarrett Jack and a "Capped out" Pacers ( who couldn't match ), I'd guess that the Raptors are going to heavily frontload a contract offer to Chandler in hopes that they will not match.

Correct me if I am wrong...but isn't Aaron Gray more of a defensive minded but somewhat decent Backup Center?

If he is....as "Backup Plan #152325", I'd consider 1st+Barbosa+Gray ( both are Expiring Contracts ) for Capspace+2nd round pick IF the Raptors TRULY wanted to clear Capspace.
    There is a percentage of how much the front loaded contract can decrease per year and I don't believe they can restructure it. Milsap is an example from the Jazz and Trailblazers.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Did you look at his contract?

2011-2012 - $5.395 mil
    2012-2013 - $5.799 mil
    2013-2014 - $6.204 mil
    2014-2015 - $6.600 mil ( Player Option )

I love his scoring...but he'd be a bit expensive if you ask me.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

There is a percentage of how much the front loaded contract can decrease per year and I don't believe they can restructure it. Milsap is an example from the Jazz and Trailblazers.
    Thanks...so I'm guessing that the Raptors will try to frontload it as much as possible and hope that the Nuggets will blink.

Banned

Thanks...so I'm guessing that the Raptors will try to frontload it as much as possible and hope that the Nuggets will blink.
    The Raptors goal is to offer as much as they can to Chandler, I think is going to be around 9/10mil, so right now they need to find a team that's willing to take into either one of their players contract.

Sports Logo

What about Spencer Hawes? The sixers are at 66 mill and he would cost 4 million. His stock is also down with being injuried.

Also maybe Jodie Meeks.

Grant Hill would also be available.
    From my understanding, there are a lot of Teams OVER the Salary Cap but not over the LT....the Sixers are one such Team.....do they have a need to actually get under the Salary Cap?

I looked it up for you..

The Portland Trail Blazers elected Friday not to wait on trade possibilities, deciding instead to offer Utah Jazz restricted free agent Paul Millsap a four-year contract worth $32 million, according to sources with knowledge of the Blazers' plans.

The Jazz, meanwhile, are expected to continue their push to trade Carlos Boozer in response, with the intent of creating sufficient distance from the luxury-tax line to enable Utah to match the Millsap offer.
    The Blazers front-loaded the contract to make it difficult for Utah to match. They gave Millsap a $5.6 million signing bonus and agreed to pay him $4.7 million of his first-year, $6.3 million salary the day the contract becomes effective.

So a week from now, Millsap would receive $10.3 million. Add to that the $1.6 million that will be spread throughout next season and Millsap, who was paid just $797,581 last season, will be paid $11.9 million this year. The remaining $20.1 million will be spread over the final three years of the deal.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

I'll say again if there is any truth to the rumorst that you can get Anthony Marrow for cap space & or a low round pick/fringe player then by all means that is the way to go.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Somebody mentioned Aaron Gray who would be a good back up, but you could also sign a guy like Fesenko who would do the same thing much cheaper.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Is there a possibility that we could take back Ed Davis as consolation if we took Barbosa off their hands be because of Barbosa'a contract?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I'll say again if there is any truth to the rumorst that you can get Anthony Marrow for cap space & or a low round pick/fringe player then by all means that is the way to go.
    Isn't him pretty much Brandon Rush?

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    Is there a possibility that we could take back Ed Davis as consolation if we took Barbosa off their hands be because of Barbosa'a contract?
    Doubt it, not w/o some sort of future pick or something of legitimate value from us. Him potentially being buried behind Hansbrough again would be pretty funny though.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Isn't him pretty much Brandon Rush?
    With none of the defense. Not that I'd complain about getting Morrow.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

From my understanding, there are a lot of Teams OVER the Salary Cap but not over the LT....the Sixers are one such Team.....do they have a need to actually get under the Salary Cap?
    Outside of saving money no not really. The advantage is to get something in return in the end and Hawes showed enough to warrant a bigger contract next year. Also IMO Williams will probably opt out of his contract next year and the Sixers may end up pretty close to the LT if they try to resign both. Certainly a team will offer Hawes a bigger contract than they would like to pay for next year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

With none of the defense. Not that I'd complain about getting Morrow.
    I would not complain either but giving away a first round pick to bring a guy that's similar to Brandon Rush but without the D? That doesn't sound smart to me.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Wasn't there a Murphy to Milwaukee deal close (allegedly) a few years back but Larry wanted Ilyasova and the Bucks said no?
    Ha, I remember that.

Yeah, Ersan would be a nice pickup. Not sure what it would take to get the Bucks to deal though - they need to keep him if they hope to make the playoffs (and sadly, the Bucks making the playoffs isn't out of the question yet).

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    Do the Raptors like Chandler that much? Probably not.

It does sound like we're getting offers and Bird's job is basically to pick up the best ones.