Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Larry Bird: "We're going to try and strengthen this team"

Default Re: Larry Bird: "We're going to try and strengthen this team"

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sorry but nobody is just going to throw a team draft picks just for salary cap, especially a first.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nb...ory?id=5324240

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=6153550
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    What, cap space has an expiration date?

If you mean we won't have as much cap space once we sign our upcoming new contracts, OK, but that means whoever we trade for better be worth going over the cap or even hitting the LT for.
    Well if we sign Roy to 14mil and Hill to 7mil are we going to still have cap space money?

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

Have always loved the idea of getting Rondo and we all know Larry Legend loves Rondo too. Getting him would be a huge upgrade and is the exact type of pass-first guard would make us contenders....saying all that, I think he will probably cost more than we will be willing to give up. Collison + Hans + 2 first rounders would be the my best offer
    Murph

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    If Boston's for real about blowing it up, I wonder what it would take to get Rondo.
    My guess is IF we made a run @ him before the deadline, we would not want to move many "core" pieces. If we want options in the off-season, we don't want any long/bad contracts. So, IMO that means we offer as players (of value to BOS): DC, maybe Hans, possibly Hill (if they don't think they can/will re-sign him), but not much more. I could also see Lou swapped for a like but longer contract (but likely to a 3rd team - no good $/player match on BOS).

This too is where I see our cap space helping us greatly. I could also see us using our cap to absorb a contract (or 2) from other teams in smaller deals to aquire additional picks. We could then in turn add these picks to ours, + DC (+?), cap savings = pretty nice offer to BOS for Rondo IMO.
    (We could even get in on a deal to help BOS aquire Beasley (rumor) to add to the total package.)

TPTB would want to ADD Rondo w/ the rest of our starting 4, not rebuild our lineup. Doing this, & keeping as much bench as possible would really make us a force.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

I would love for the Pacers to take on a huge expiring contract if it meant getting a 1st pick to go along with that.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I actually was just looking around at rumors and found one from Mid-Jan where it brought out Pierce would be a great fit here.. Which I agreed with. I'd love to have him.

BUT, the offer seemed to be PG and a 1st. No thanks. People need to realize, you're not getting PG unless you give us a young star back. Dude has All-Star written all over him, no way you trade that away unless you get something great back in return. An aging Pierce is not that, especially adding a 1st for them.

Those are two decent examples but at the same time, major exceptions. Nobody wanted to touch Baron Davis and that huge contract he had/has and Kirk Hinrich's deal wasn't much better at that time. I don't see us taking on salary unless it's an expiring contract but even than our cap space can only get us so much. Our best bet is to get involved in a three team deal if there is a big name being traded and us being a facilitator.

If Boston's for real about blowing it up, I wonder what it would take to get Rondo.
    What every team wants for a star, picks and young guys only. They would want George and honestly I wouldn't want to include him in a deal unless it was for someone better than Rondo. He could help but I think we would be helping Boston more so in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    See Anthem's post as to ONE of the reasons why a Team may.

I agree that it may not be possible....but also keep in mind that JONeal's $6.2 mil expiring Contract translate into a hefty LT payment that the Celtics are going to have to pay...especially if he continues to be injured and the Celtics miss the Playoffs OR they end up as the 7th or 8th seed in the Playoffs.
    This I could actually see. Good post.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hibbert For This Useful Post:

i don't think BOS will blow it up at the trading deadline. jmo, but they will make the playoffs. they will give the old gang a chance in the playoffs to show they can still play with plenty of rest. the only caveat to that would be someone knocking them over with a deal in BOS's favor.

no chance that bird gives them that kind of deal. right now bird and ainge are both shopping in the discount isle. the time to steal from BOS is this summer.

this makes sense. assuming that danny, paul and roy are the three guys that the pacers want to keep, pretty much everyone else can be used to get an addition to the gang of three. everyone else can be played or traded to build the team around the gang of three as needed.

again, i don't see BOS doing this right now. i see them making one last run first.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    My guess is IF we made a run @ him before the deadline, we would not want to move many "core" pieces. If we want options in the off-season, we don't want any long/bad contracts. So, IMO that means we offer as players (of value to BOS): DC, maybe Hans, possibly Hill (if they don't think they can/will re-sign him), but not much more. I could also see Lou swapped for a like but longer contract (but likely to a 3rd team - no good $/player match on BOS).

This too is where I see our cap space helping us greatly. I could also see us using our cap to absorb a contract (or 2) from other teams in smaller deals to aquire additional picks. We could then in turn add these picks to ours, + DC (+?), cap savings = pretty nice offer to BOS for Rondo IMO.
    (We could even get in on a deal to help BOS aquire Beasley (rumor) to add to the total package.)

TPTB would want to ADD Rondo w/ the rest of our starting 4, not rebuild our lineup. Doing this, & keeping as much bench as possible would really make us a force.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Well if we sign Roy to 14mil and Hill to 7mil are we going to still have cap space money?
    Not if we sign them first, but we wouldn't. The idea would be to sign the free agent first while keeping the cap holds on Roy and Hill. Spend our way up to the 58 mil cap, then sign Roy and Hill to skirt the edge of the LT. This will be our last chance to do anything in free agency. After we sign Roy we'll stay between the 58 mil cap and the 70 mil LT for a very long time.
    We had better not give Hill 7 mil. I'd rather let him walk if some other team wants to pay him that much.

I'm sorry but nobody is just going to throw a team draft picks just for salary cap, especially a first. Pacers might make a move, although if we do it will be a small one, nothing major.
    It's happened before.

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/thomas_trade_070720.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Yes, I'm aware that it has happened before but everytime it has been a bad contract that nobody wanted therefore they have to give up a pick or two. My point was that some people may be giving their hopes up in thinking that we have the most cap available out of any team and thinking that we are going to get a great player in return for cap relief. I just don't see it and would rather keep the money unless we can get some kind of upgrade to our bench or a promising young player in return. We could get a pick perhaps two with our cap space but we would more than likely get that in return for a large contract with years remaining and I just don't think it's likely at this point after four years of getting to where we are now.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Yes, I'm aware that it has happened before but everytime it has been a bad contract that nobody wanted therefore they have to give up a pick or two. My point was that some people may be giving their hopes up in thinking that we have the most cap available out of any team and thinking that we are going to get a great player in return for cap relief. I just don't see it and would rather keep the money unless we can get some kind of upgrade to our bench or a promising young player in return. We could get a pick perhaps two with our cap space but we would more than likely get that in return for a large contract with years remaining and I just don't think it's likely at this point after four years of getting to where we are now.
    Does the CBA require teams to spend a given percentage of their cap? I think the NBL has that........

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Does the CBA require teams to spend a given percentage of their cap? I think the NBL has that........
    Yes. 85% of the cap, I do believe.

Those are two decent examples but at the same time, major exceptions.
    Sure, because it's super rare for a team to have enough free capspace to make that kind of deal.
    we are [not] going to get a great player in return for cap relief.
    Both of the deals I proposed are teams looking to shed non-essential salary who could be asked to give up a pick for the privilege. In Boston's case, it saves them the remainder of Jermaine's salary, plus ~7mil in luxury tax payments. In New Jersey's case, it allows them to pursue Dwight Howard and potentially keep D. Williams.

In both cases, a pick is a reasonable payment for letting them wipe a troublesome contract off their books.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!