Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another twist to the rotation/ Mike Wells

Banned

Default Another twist to the rotation/ Mike Wells

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...-the-rotation/

Another twist to the rotation

11:54 PM, Feb. 22, 2012 | Written by Mike Wells | 3Comments
    CHARLOTTE, N.C. – It was just days ago that I wrote in this same space about the George Hill/Darren Collison point guard situation.

Now just days later, another twist has been added to the backcourt situation.

Frank Vogel didn’t rule the possibility of going with A.J. Price as Collison’s backup and Hill backing up Paul George at shooting guard.

“There’s consideration there,” Vogel said. “We have a lot of good options. When guys aren’t playing well or guys are out and you’re struggling to fill holes, we feel good about all our different options. It’s going to be a tough call.”

Vogel can’t continue to give Collison, Price, George, Hill and Lance Stephenson minutes in the second half of the season.

Something will likely have to give.

The Pacers will spend the final 33 games of the season trying to get homecourt in the first round of the playoffs.

Teams usually shorten their rotation later in the season, not expand it.

Price has only helped his cause to stay in the rotation with his play of late. He had a team-high six assists against the Bobcats and he’s scored in double figures in four of the last seven games.

Hill can still play point guard if Price starts to struggle. Hill can also log a lot of minutes at shooting guard if George goes into a funk.

I know it was only the Bobcats, but the second unit sealed the game.

It was Hill, Price, Tyler Hansbrough, Dahntay Jones and Lou Amundson on the court at the start of the fourth quarter when the Pacers turned a 10-point lead into a 21-point cushion halfway through the quarter.

Vogel plans to spend the All-Star break hanging with his family in Indy. He’ll likely also spend some time trying to figure out a backcourt rotation for the second half of the season.

PG: Collison/Price

SG: George/Hill

SF: Granger/Jones

PF: West/Hansbrough

C: Hibbert/Foster

Default Re: Another twist to the rotation/ Mike Wells

Its great to be able to have those options. Not a bad "problem" to have if you ask me
    FOLLOW ME: @WarnerSays

IU > Kentucky

Biggest PHILLIES PHAN in Indiana

“And as I go,I go with just a few words left to say,a few words I want to address to Colts fans everywhere, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. I truly have enjoyed being your quarterback. Thank you.”
    - Peyton Manning

3. The Following User Says Thank You to _The_Future_ For This Useful Post:

Still think AJ is the odd man out. A lot of people are going to be disappointed, including Wells it looks like. JMO

AJ Price with the second unit makes the team better. That's all that should matter.

I would think (Hope) it would be very hard to sit someone who has been playing like AJ has played.

I also don't really understand people's concerns about Hill playing the 2. He's played the 2 all season (Half his minutes, because he plays with DC in the lineup too.) He also played the 2 in San Antonio. Sure, he's a little short for the position, but a lot of teams have 2's that are a little short, that often times come off the bench. (Shannon Brown, Jason Terry, Ben Gordon, etc..) Hill's also a good defender regardless, he has a long arm span that makes up for his height.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Funny that he talks about rotation realities, then does the quaint starter-backup listing at every slot. Rotations go 8 or 9 deep (not counting the guys who get spare change minutes in single digits).

Not saying Vogel won't swap certain guys on a matchup, but come playoff time, lance won't be alone on the bench. One guy on that list is a lock to be a spare changer, perhaps two.

Obviously Wells asked him the question. vogel wouldn't say no to consideration. Of course he would consider it.
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

From what I've seen, AJ deserves to play. Lance doesn't, it's that simple.

Of course I don't see practice, I would hope Lance does something in practice to deserve the playing time he has gotten so far this season.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Im not sure who deserves to play, as I only see games not practice

I would still try and find spot minutes for Lance as he has done spectecular things at times and also head scratching moves, but he needs to play some

If I had my way I would start Hill and bring DC off the bench
    Sittin on top of the world!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We need a pg in the 2nd unit and it is AJ by default(we dont have another pg on the roster besides DC). I would like to upgrade the pg spot in the off season and if Price wants too would be the 3rd string next year. Price is a solid 3 and a solid backup if you have a high caliber starter he is a poor mans Eric Maynor. I hope one of the pgs drop in the draft but that is very doubtful we may have to bring in a upgrade via free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From what I've seen, AJ deserves to play. Lance doesn't, it's that simple.

Of course I don't see practice, I would hope Lance does something in practice to deserve the playing time he has gotten so far this season.
    I think your van is leaking fumes. You know you can promote AJ without picking on the youngest player on the team right? How is trying to give AJ 5 minutes from a player who is not even playing his position simple?
    Last edited by spazzxb; 02-23-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Nothing about the Pacers is simple

nothing

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    I think your van is leaking fumes. You know you can promote AJ without picking on the youngest player on the team right? How is trying to give AJ 5 minutes from a player who is not even playing his position simple?
    It's not picking on Lance.

If AJ gets minutes, he is going to take Lance's five minutes..plus probably 5 from the wings and 5 from DC. (just the way it'll split up because Hill used to play both positions.)

Also, the way Wells writes his column is "will it be AJ or Lance getting minutes?" And it's not an attack on Lance to suggest he doesn't deserve the minutes over AJ. He hasn't played as well as AJ and doesn't help the team as much as AJ. That's plenty reason to have an opinion that AJ deserves the spot over him.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Can't shorten the rotation too much...schedule is too compressed...players (on other teams) dropping like flies...getting into the playoffs healthy is more than half the battle...

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    We need a pg in the 2nd unit and it is AJ by default(we dont have another pg on the roster besides AJ).
    fixed

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Wells, might want to re-think the part about Foster being the b/u to Hibbert unless he was considering Foster as the b/u every 3rd to 5th game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post

If AJ gets minutes, he is going to take Lance's five minutes..plus probably 5 from the wings and 5 from DC. (just the way it'll split up because Hill used to play both positions.)

Also, the way Wells writes his column is "will it be AJ or Lance getting minutes?" And it's not an attack on Lance to suggest he doesn't deserve the minutes over AJ. He hasn't played as well as AJ and doesn't help the team as much as AJ. That's plenty reason to have an opinion that AJ deserves the spot over him.
    Do you not think match-ups should be involved in the discussion? Is it not a huge assumption, to say that George Hill isn't playing PG any more. This assumption is needed for the argument your making. That dude tried to say it was simple. He also claims to live in a van down by the river(fumes were just a joke)

Originally Posted by pacer4ever
    We need a pg in the 2nd unit and it is AJ by default(we dont have another pg on the roster besides AJ).
    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    fixed
    Thats the thread I wish you guys would start, just leave the kid out of it. No ones having that discussion. Make the debate GH vs AJ vs DC, the coach isn't playing Lance at PG anyway. I would just be interested in reading it.

The way he says it... it kinda is.

Lance deserves to play. Whether he will or not I don't know, but if he's benched it won't be because he's played bad and doesn't deserve playing time, it'll be because AJ beat him out.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    The way he says it... it kinda is.

Lance deserves to play. Whether he will or not I don't know, but if he's benched it won't be because he's played bad and doesn't deserve playing time, it'll be because AJ beat him out.
    I think that's what the person meant. Lance doesn't deserve time over AJ. AKA AJ beat him out. (And based on play, it would be hard to argue the other way around.)

I think you can still find development minutes for Lance, but at some point you have to question if playing 11 players and Lance's play in general, is worth it. He's young and a developing player, there's no rush for his development.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Gonna be a really good twist when Larry brings in a couple new faces soon. Possibly even do some shuffling in trades.

I think that's what the person meant. Lance doesn't deserve time over AJ. AKA AJ beat him out. (And based on play, it would be hard to argue the other way around.)

I think you can still find development minutes for Lance, but at some point you have to question if playing 11 players and Lance's play in general, is worth it. He's young and a developing player, there's no rush for his development.
    It hard to compare their play since they're playing different positions... but I agree AJ's looked really good lately. Lance has played well consistently on both ends too though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    Gonna be a really good twist when Larry brings in a couple new faces soon. Possibly even do some shuffling in trades.
    It will definitely be interesting to see what happens. I have faith in Bird that any adjustments will be positive.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

I think its blatantly obvious that AJ should and should have been the backup PG.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

My 2 cents,

I wouldnt go so far as to say AJ has outplayed Lance recently. In fact I think Lance has done better than I thought considering his limited minutes. He has clearly shown the ability to pass the rock. I have seen him make passes this season, I dont think any other current Pacer could do. He also has one thing over every guard on our squad...strength. Lance can beat his man off the dribble, but also back him down in the post, snatch a rebound and lead the break. I hope he continues to get at least some playing time each game. I think its important to his development and psyche.

But,

At this time I trust AJ more to play within the system and make the right decesion. I also trust his ability to run the team and half the time, was actually looking forward to Aj being subed in for DC, because I knnew the offensive flow would be better. AJ is by far more consistent with his deep jumpshot, than Lance at this point. I think Vogel feels that the second unit needs a scoring punch and by bringing in AJ to back up the point , it switches Hill ove to the back up SG where he can be more aggressive and look to score. This helps the production on the second unit.

I think Lance has the ability to be one of the better players in the league, and who is to say that he cant end up being better than Paul George one day. Right now though, I cant see Lance in a pressure situation . AJ though, I trust him in a tight game. If he works on cutting down his turnovers, I would rather sign him next year and not DC, but upgrade at the starting point guard position

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    I think its blatantly obvious that AJ should and should have been the backup PG.
    Why... because he's played well for the last couple weeks? What about practice? What about all last year when he shot worse than any other player in the league?

Apparently it's wasn't blatantly obvious or he'd have played from the get go. Vogel's said several times that Lance is earning his minutes.