Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64

Thread: AJ deserves some props

  1. #1
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,603

    Default AJ deserves some props

    He has been crushed on here , sometimes with me leading the charge. There were times he deserved our frustration and at times maybe a little over the top, but...... Its time to give him his well deserved props for his play over the past 5 games.

    http://www.nba.com/pacers/caught_web...012_02_20.html

    This is not to demean A.J. Price or Lance Stephenson, the two players whose roles increased while Hill was out. Price, in particular, represented himself well. It took a couple of games to shake off the rust from the end of the bench, but Price has come around nicely, averaging 9.8 points, 2.6 assists and .485 shooting in the last five games
    Sittin on top of the world!

  2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  3. #2
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    If he wouldn't be such a black hole, he wouldn't be bashed so much. If he took from Dahntay a bit this year, he should learn to pass a few times.


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  4. #3
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,806

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    I don't get why it always has to be Lance vs. AJ. The only regular minutes Lance is getting is at shooting guard, which AJ doesn't even play. It doesn't matter wether or not Lance can play point guard or not because at least this season he isn't being used there except when we need size and strength. If you want to advocate for AJ price he needs to earn minutes from George Hill or DC. If Stephenson wants more minutes he needs to get them from DJ or GH. Taking PG minutes away from GH, is a different issue than Lance getting minutes at the 2.

    I am tired of AJ supporters attacking Lance Stephenson's 5-10 minutes a game, simply because he is easier than trying to say their guy is better than George HIll. If AJ goes back to the bench it has nothing to do with Lance Stephenson. The only times Lance has really had increased minutes is when Danny was injured and when PG was in foul trouble.
    I expect when GH comes back, Lance will keep his 5-10 minutes a game.

    I would just appreciate the AJ Price fan club would debate AJ vs. GH, instead of picking on the youngest player on the team. AJ and Lance's playing time really have nothing to do with each other at the moment.

  5. #4
    Member mcampbellarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    olympia, wa
    Posts
    169

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    Seems like a nice guy, good teammate, likable.

    My few complaints in the Bobcats game involved AJ. X's and O's guys please weigh in..

    He was loosing his man on screens - I do not know what the trick is but he needs to work on it. The defensive breakdowns come from the opposing point guard.

    TOO much dribbling. Leading to last second desperation shots. This may be because he dribbles too much or that the other guys are not moving enough. I will go 50/50 - even then not a compliment.

  6. #5
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get why it always has to be Lance vs. AJ. . . AJ and Lance's playing time really have nothing to do with each other at the moment.
    Generally I agree with you, but here they're linked because they're both getting some of George Hill's time while he's out.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  7. #6
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    I love Juice. I think he's played very well lately. I don't really think I agree with the "black hole" label, though. When he's in with guys who can score (D-West, Roy) He usually looks to get the ball into them.

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,251
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love Juice. I think he's played very well lately. I don't really think I agree with the "black hole" label, though. When he's in with guys who can score (D-West, Roy) He usually looks to get the ball into them.
    The problem is when he isn't he takes way too long to make a decision, resulting in dribbling the shot clock away. He then takes a shot to avoid the 24 second violation. That's what I mean by black hole.


    Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  10. #8
    Born ready? TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get why it always has to be Lance vs. AJ. The only regular minutes Lance is getting is at shooting guard, which AJ doesn't even play. It doesn't matter wether or not Lance can play point guard or not because at least this season he isn't being used there except when we need size and strength. If you want to advocate for AJ price he needs to earn minutes from George Hill or DC. If Stephenson wants more minutes he needs to get them from DJ or GH. Taking PG minutes away from GH, is a different issue than Lance getting minutes at the 2.

    I am tired of AJ supporters attacking Lance Stephenson's 5-10 minutes a game, simply because he is easier than trying to say their guy is better than George HIll. If AJ goes back to the bench it has nothing to do with Lance Stephenson. The only times Lance has really had increased minutes is when Danny was injured and when PG was in foul trouble.
    I expect when GH comes back, Lance will keep his 5-10 minutes a game.

    I would just appreciate the AJ Price fan club would debate AJ vs. GH, instead of picking on the youngest player on the team. AJ and Lance's playing time really have nothing to do with each other at the moment.
    That's not true, before Hill got hurt Lance was primarily playing the pg, with Hill at sg and Price getting Pendergraph type minutes

  11. #9

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    Quote Originally Posted by efhead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems like a nice guy, good teammate, likable.

    My few complaints in the Bobcats game involved AJ. X's and O's guys please weigh in..

    He was loosing his man on screens - I do not know what the trick is but he needs to work on it. The defensive breakdowns come from the opposing point guard.

    TOO much dribbling. Leading to last second desperation shots. This may be because he dribbles too much or that the other guys are not moving enough. I will go 50/50 - even then not a compliment.
    AJ's usually pretty good with that, but he was losing his guy last night, uncharacteristically. It might have been because it was Kemba, and Kemba's pretty darn fast. But he was just slow on defense regardless. (which has been uncharacteristic for the season) It might have also been a huge lead, and so he wasn't as energized defensively..who knows. It's certainly not a pattern with AJ though, so nothing to complain too much about, unless it becomes one. Although I agree, I didn't think he defended too well last game, and he's shown he can defend Kemba quite well just from the previous Charlotte game.

    Most of the time, he passes the ball as soon as he gets it up court. But sometimes he'll dribble. He's doing this because he's waiting for our post player (Hans) to get in good position, and a lot of times (because teams know what we are doing, I'd assume) Tyler doesn't get it. Which gives us a lot less time for a shot. It's something he's always done, and I don't really have an issue with it, (because better a good entry pass than a bad one) but if you haven't watched him play enough, you might not realize that's what he's doing. (As over dribbling tends to be considered a bad habit.)

    I do think part of the problem is when he finds something that's working, he'll repeatedly go back to it. So the first time it's decently easy for Tyler to post up. Around the sixth time team's have caught on. :P Then again, the bench unit isn't exactly the most offensively potent group without Hill.

    Lance vs. AJ..because I think Hill is a SG, and I think he should be playing SG. I've really got no problem with Lance playing a few minutes of development time, if Larry insists, I just think we need to have a point guard in the game at all times.
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-20-2012 at 11:28 PM.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,579
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    He does have a little Travis Best in him, likes to dribble the ball

    I've thought AJ has been solid. Doesn't turn it over like crazy, confident shooter (Finally making them now too, haha). Seems like a nice dude too.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:


  15. #11
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,806

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Generally I agree with you, but here they're linked because they're both getting some of George Hill's time while he's out.
    A lot of the backup 2 guard minutes have been given to Dahantay Jones. Lance did get extra minutes occasionally, but not a lot other than when PG was in foul trouble and the game where Danny was injured. For example; against New Jersey Lance played less than 5 minutes.

  16. #12
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,527

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    A.J. has picked up the defensive intensity since the New Jersey game.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,603

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    AJ has played well lately and he is a Pacer, and a NY'er to boot so Im happy for him

    Ireally think AJ can offer more than DC if their jump shot is off. When DC is not scoring he cant really offer much else. I think AJ can still run the offense and pay a little better d
    Sittin on top of the world!

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:


  20. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    Sorry but I don't trust those numbers, there is a reason why you look at what a player has done all year and not the last five games or the last two games.

  21. #15
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,806

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not true, before Hill got hurt Lance was primarily playing the pg, with Hill at sg and Price getting Pendergraph type minutes
    GH and Lance did share the ball alot more than we see now, however Vogals "lance will get most his minutes at the 2"(not a direct quote) statement came prior to GH being injured. Lance did play PG in the game that George Hill was injured, but that was due specifically to matchup issues(DWill+Marrow). Lance was subbing for Paul George, in the games immediately prior to GH's injury.

    I do think it is hard to distinguish who is the actual point guard when LS and GH play together, however I don't view that as a negative.

  22. #16
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,745

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    I'll give props to AJ for doing his job ok, but I can't wait till he is sitting back on the bench!

  23. #17
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry but I don't trust those numbers, there is a reason why you look at what a player has done all year and not the last five games or the last two games.

    At the same token, is it not a coincidence that now he's finally gotten some regular playing time, he has been able to develop a rhythm? I mean, was it NOT obvious that in those first few games after Hill's injury that he was rusty and had not adjusted to the speed of the game, since he had been rotting on the end of the bench all season?

  24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  25. #18

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the same token, is it not a coincidence that now he's finally gotten some regular playing time, he has been able to develop a rhythm? I mean, was it NOT obvious that in those first few games after Hill's injury that he was rusty and had not adjusted to the speed of the game, since he had been rotting on the end of the bench all season?
    He's played well, it went a bit unnoticed because we lost four of the past six games.

    Our bench backcourt could be really good. In the few games we've seen them, Hill and AJ played really well together. And if Lance came in and added five to ten minutes of his energy, it could be a lot of fun. But at the end of the day, AJ does make our bench better, and the coaching staff should consider letting him keep his minutes.

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  27. #19

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    I'll just add that it sure was nice to see a couple lobs thrown last night by Juice. I almost forgot what they looked like.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:


  29. #20
    Born ready? TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Davenport, IA
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,478
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry but I don't trust those numbers, there is a reason why you look at what a player has done all year and not the last five games or the last two games.
    I know it's not exactly apples to apples (really what is?), but I find it funny that this is your stance on players considering you are all about Jeremy Lin. How were his stats last year and the beginning off this year?

  30. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At the same token, is it not a coincidence that now he's finally gotten some regular playing time, he has been able to develop a rhythm? I mean, was it NOT obvious that in those first few games after Hill's injury that he was rusty and had not adjusted to the speed of the game, since he had been rotting on the end of the bench all season?
    Yep and playing in garbage time for few of those games help his numbers a lot, I give him the NJ game but still, is New Jersey.

  31. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it's not exactly apples to apples (really what is?), but I find it funny that this is your stance on players considering you are all about Jeremy Lin. How were his stats last year and the beginning off this year?
    I don't know, all I know is that for the year Lin averages 14.3 and 5.6, the whole year, not just one game or two games in garbage time.

  32. #23
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep and playing in garbage time for few of those games help his numbers a lot, I give him the NJ game but still, is New Jersey.
    And who was New Jersey's Point Guard that AJ was going against there in the 4th quarter?

    And it's not even about New Jersey. Any reasonable Pacers fan would tell you that AJ has definitely improved over the last few games.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:


  34. #24

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDavisBrothers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it's not exactly apples to apples (really what is?), but I find it funny that this is your stance on players considering you are all about Jeremy Lin. How were his stats last year and the beginning off this year?
    If Lin was on our team, all Vnzla81 would talk about was his turnovers.
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-21-2012 at 12:40 AM.

  35. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  36. #25
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: AJ deserves some props

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know, all I know is that for the year Lin averages 14.3 and 5.6, the whole year, not just one game or two games in garbage time.
    See, now you're making it seem like he's done this since the season started. Dude didn't even SNIFF playing time until after the Super Bowl.


    I think it's a little hypocritical.

Similar Threads

  1. Coaching/player props
    By imawhat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-16-2010, 02:53 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2010, 04:20 PM
  3. Give Fred Jones some props too
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 07:58 AM
  4. Croshere deserves the game ball tonight
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 02:35 PM
  5. Which team deserves to win it all?
    By MSA2CF in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 12:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •