Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

Default I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

Been thinking about this. Danny is playing really good right now. His stock is fairly high and will get higher if he keeps it up. But a few thoughts...

1) Watching Danny and Paul play together, it seems like Danny is in Pauls way. I feel like George should be the man and he can't, becausE he defers to Danny. So his play looks clunky at times. It's kind of like Paul doesn't know when to assert himself, because Danny is here. Also, I think Paul is playing out of position. I think he's a 3. Not a 2. I don't think Paul can fully blossom until Danny is out of the way.

2) I like Darren Collison, but there are PG's available that could really push Indiana to a legit contender status. Darren just isn't there yet. He's solid though and I think he could get there. Which is why I think you keep DC.

A George Hill, Granger and 2012 first rounder could net you something really nice. Boston might take that for Rondo and another contact. Maybe you get Nash and Dudley or Lopez or Gortat. I dunno, my point is, trading Danny Granger while his stock is high, makes so much sense right now and could not only make you a legit contender for the title depending on what you get back, but also could pave the way for #24 to become a top SF in the league.

I love Danny. His defense, in my eyes, has been amazing . And his shooting is coming back. But it just makes sense to trade him. Sometimes the difference between a title contender and a title pretender is whether or not your GM has the guts to see past loyalty and make a cutthroat move at the deadline. This is the move. Danny is the peice.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

Who starts at shooting guard.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Lance Stephenson of course. Best 5 minute player in the NBA.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Banned

Paul George is not ready yet.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We'd better not be trading Danny. As to the whole "stepping on PG's toes" thing, I don't see it at all. Danny is the most accomplished scorer on the roster so I'd expect him to carry the burden to score. PG just has to grow into his role. And to do that he has to work on his handle. Until then, we'd better not be trading Danny.

What we need to do at the deadline is get us a point guard, point blank.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL, I don't think he thought that far ahead.

To the OP. Didn't you just see what happened to this team with out Danny Granger in the line up. Blow loss to the Cavs. Blow out loss to Philly earlier this year.

I'd love to get Rondo but why would Boston make that trade? They are about to have +30 Million come off the books. Granger and Pierce on the same team is redundant. Boston is going to go after an elite Big man to reload for one final run.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Depends.

I like the Stephenson idea for a few reasons. One, he'll move the ball around and create more assist s on easy baskets. Two, his maturity this year has been fairly understated. He's staring to get it. Three, he's not a selfish player. He won't take Pauls shots.

But they might get a decent two guard in the deal, or you could switch DC with George Hill.

Hill is going to get offered a lot of money. Matching that and the Hibbert offer will be tough to swallow, especially if your still in the middle of the pack in the East. Why not package Hill with Danny and get a really good player to push you over the top and save yourself from having to either pay Hill a ton of cash, or let him go for nothing .

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    Depends.

I like the Stephenson idea for a few reasons.
    Well I don't. And I'm hoping the Pacers brass agrees with me.

Secondly, I don't think the best thing for Paul's development is necessarily trading away the guy he looks up to on the team.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    We'd better not be trading Danny. As to the whole "stepping on PG's toes" thing, I don't see it at all. Danny is the most accomplished scorer on the roster so I'd expect him to carry the burden to score. PG just has to grow into his role. And to do that he has to work on his handle. Until then, we'd better not be trading Danny.

What we need to do at the deadline is get us a point guard, point blank.
    Ok

How are you getting a point guard better than DC, without trading anything. Seriously, a lot of you guys seem to think we can upgrade the point guard position without trading anything good. That's a fantasy.

You can't upgrade that position anymore, unless you make with the goods.

I have been thinking 'contender' in perhaps the season after next IF PG and much more so Lance exceed expectations. And Danny will be here.
    Last edited by mcampbellarch; 02-19-2012 at 03:27 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Danny isn't going anywhere. Larry likes this team and unless he sees a move to put us over the top THIS season, he won't do anything big. And he's not gonna trade Danny after he stuck through the terrible seasons.

Why would boston trade Rondo for Granger? Where does Danny play for them? And sorry, Danny for Nash is a bad trade for us.

Why are people so eager to trade Danny? Paul loves Danny, they work out together all the time. Paul has said how much he appreciates Danny for taking him under his wing. Paul and Danny work just fine together. Right now, Paul needs to stop taking so many 3's and start driving. Trading Danny doesn't make Paul better, it probably upsets him.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

I could put this in about any of 30 or so threads but I'm just going to stick it here.

I can go to bed tonight & every night this season safe in the knowledge that Danny Granger will be a Pacer.

All of this talk about Monta Ellis, Rajon Rondo, whoever else is totally moot.

Larry Bird will not trade Granger unless he gets a one sided upgrade and no it will not be for a talented malcontent.

If he could get (but he can't) Dwight Howard then yes Danny will be part of the package.

But short of an absolute blockbuster, no Danny is not going anywhere.

Some of you will just have to suffer, as I did through all of the O'Neal years, with the fact that no matter how you try, no matter what trade you come up with, no matter how much sense it makes to you & yes even those of you who want to move Danny on so that way Paul George can somehow overnight become Dr. J, that Danny Granger has Larry Bird's loyalty.

Now once Bird leaves all bets are off, but till he's gone, unless Danny asks for it himself, he is a Pacer.

Some of us will be unhappy about this.

Others of us will be very happy about this.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

20. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Yes, I would enjoy 13-game losing streaks. Let's ship him out of here.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    LOL, I don't think he thought that far ahead.

To the OP. Didn't you just see what happened to this team with out Danny Granger in the line up. Blow loss to the Cavs. Blow out loss to Philly earlier this year.

I'd love to get Rondo but why would Boston make that trade? They are about to have +30 Million come off the books. Granger and Pierce on the same team is redundant. Boston is going to go after an elite Big man to reload for one final run.
    What elite big man are the Celtics getting and how are they getting this elite big man without trading Rondo?

Sports Logo

Paul George in his 2 games this season without Danny Granger:

@PHI: 13 Points on 4/16 shooting, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, 5 turnovers and 5 fouls.

@CLE: 11 Points on 4/14 shooting, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 turnover and 4 fouls.

Granted, it's only a 2 game sample but that's all we got.

There was a poster who said that Paul George plays off someone else. He has big games when the team is playing nice and some other player is clicking. I think that's true. Paul is a young player and plays off the momentum. Which is completely fine since he is still very young and raw.

It is also one of the reasons why we need Danny Granger.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Yes, I would enjoy 13-game losing streaks. Let's ship him out of here.
    What are you talking about? They started fantastic with Granger playing horrible and shooting 30%. They played 9 games in 14 days. They were bound to hit a wall at some point. Four of those losses were against good or great teams. They lost to Cleveland for the same reason they lost to Orlando earlier this season , with Granger. Single digit assists and bad shooting.

Ok

How are you getting a point guard better than DC, without trading anything. Seriously, a lot of you guys seem to think we can upgrade the point guard position without trading anything good. That's a fantasy.

I posted in another thread as have may others. The assets that we'd mostly likely move would be some combination of DC, Tyler, Picks and cap space. And Im not too sure if I'd really be willing to ship Tyler out.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    I posted in another thread as have may others. The assets that we'd mostly likely move would be some combination of DC, Tyler, Picks and cap space. And Im not too sure if I'd really be willing to ship Tyler out.
    Lol. The Pacers will not get a better point guard than Collison, for that pu pu platter.

I think Lance needs to make an outside shot before he can be considered a legitimate candidate to be a starting SG in the NBA...

Edit: Also, I'd trade any combination of Tyler/Dhantay/AJ/Lance/a pick for Gortat. What's better than a Polish Hammer to smash some mouths?

Last edited by Pingu; 02-19-2012 at 04:23 AM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

What are you talking about? They started fantastic with Granger playing horrible and shooting 30%. They played 9 games in 14 days. They were bound to hit a wall at some point. Four of those losses were against good or great teams. They lost to Cleveland for the same reason they lost to Orlando earlier this season , with Granger. Single digit assists and bad shooting.
    and you know who was leading the team in the +/- category the whole time then? Danny Granger.

This team plays better with Danny on the floor, including Paul. Moving your best offensive player to get a point guard makes no sense. Danny would benefit greatly from having a guy like Rondo or Nash because he is a great shooter.

And sorry, Phoenix wont take Danny in a trade for Nash. If they trade Nash, they are blowing things up. Why take Danny's contract? A deal of Tyler, DC, and picks would be much more appealing.

Your suggestions of Nash and Rondo make no sense in a trade for Danny. Where would Danny play in Boston? How does that trade make sense for them? And I already said why Phoenix wouldn't do it. Yes, on paper, talent for talent, they would make sense, but you have to look at the situations each team is in.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

I'm throwing out names. My point is that Danny might be our most attractive asset to trade without mortgaging the future of the team.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm throwing out names. My point is that Danny might be our most attractive asset to trade without mortgaging the future of the team.
    The ship has sailed IMO I wanted to trade him after the MIP season but unfortunately IMO now we cant get the value to make it worth trading him. IMO the only way we trade Granger is if the Pacers get swept in the first rd and get embarrassed while getting beat. Then if Bird gets blown away in the off season I could see him pulling the trigger. We aren't gonna get proper value at this point we waited to long if we were gonna trade him we should of done it years ago. It is kind of pointless to have a 3 yr plan and trade Granger after keeping him to be apart of the 3 yr plan. I would of traded him before the "3 year plan" or during.

Ok

If DWill wants to contend for a ring, we have money this summer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Lol. The Pacers will not get a better point guard than Collison, for that pu pu platter.
    Young Players on Rookie Deals, Draft Picks, and Salary Cap Relief.

Pu Pu Platter

I fail to see a resemblence.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Ok

This discussion always gets confused over D.C. as a player and as a point guard.

As a player, he would be more difficult to replace and upgrade. He is a good player. As a point guard, not so much.

It's like we have a toolkit with a wrench, screw driver, a nail, and two saws. We don't need the second saw, we need a hammer.

With cap space and D.C. we can upgrade our point guard position. It gets even easier if we include picks.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post: