Thread: Geezer Jr. Nearly a Victim of ID theft

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Geezer Jr. Nearly a Victim of ID theft

A week ago we closed geezer Jr's MI Bank accounts and moved it to another bank. Tonight we got a call for MI Fraud/THeft division saying that someone had tried to make a $611 purrchase in Mexico on Jr's Debit Card from MI. Fortunately there was no money in the account so the purchase was denied.

Way too close. Way too close. They went over his last transactions which were with iTunes and Half.com but that was it, he verified that he had made those textbook purchases (and music) and they deactivated his debit card.
    Way too close.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Geezer Jr. Nearly a Victim of ID theft

College students are always more at risk than the average folk. Gotta be extra careful.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ya this kinda thing happens a lot... everyone needs to keep an eye on their transactions.. its really no big deal when it happens, as long as you do keep an eye on your accounts.. you can easily file a dispute that you didn't do it and get your money back. I work at a bank, it happens more than you wanna know.. scary, but luckily there are measures in place to protect you from losing your money

Mood

I took a hard look at my Visa bill last month and discovered $112 worth of recurring charges that I had mistaken for 1 timers. They were "offers" for free services that automatically kick over to charged ones once you forget about them. Why hadn't I noticed them....there are three of us using the account, we each have our own card and I had assumed they were single items the others had put on there. Until I saw them for more than 1 billing cycle. I'm glad I caught them when I did. I was able to cancel them and mitigate the charges.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

I used to bank at Bank of America. Never lost my debit/credit card, but twice in less than 6 months I had fraudulent purchases. A far cry from identity theft. I still closed my account. Never have had that issue with Wells Fargo, and I've been banking with them since I was a kid.

I think I know the place that someone was getting my card info from, and I don't go there anymore. *******s!

Now I just use my credit card. I never use my debit/credit cards for anything now.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to bank at Bank of America. Never lost my debit/credit card, but twice in less than 6 months I had fraudulent purchases. A far cry from identity theft. I still closed my account. Never have had that issue with Wells Fargo, and I've been banking with them since I was a kid.
    Every big bank has its issues. I've had no real problems with BofA. On the other hand my mom lost everything thing she had to identity theft by a Wells Fargo manager. Wells Fargo never compensated her at all, they used high price lawyers to keep delaying the court case until she ran out of what little money she had left and could no longer afford her own lawyer. Case dropped...

The lesson I learned from all of that: KEEP AN EYE ON ALL OF YOUR ACCOUNTS. She could have stopped it before it got so bad, but she had all her bills set up for automatic payment and never checked her accounts. I now check ALL of my accounts several times a month.

Mood

y'all are scarin' me.