Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

A change in the lineup once Hill returns?
    11:43 PM, Feb. 19, 2012 | Written by Mike Wells | 4 Comments
    I came into the season thinking that George Hill would be the Pacers starting point guard by the first week of February.

Hill definitely had an impact by the first week of February, it’s just too bad it’s because he was in a walking boot due to a chip fracture in his left ankle.

So I quit thinking about Hill being the starting point guard.

That was until Sunday when Frank Vogel (without being asked) mentioned that Hill will challenge Darren Collison and Paul George (I can’t see PG moving to the bench) for their starting spots once he returns to the lineup, which could be as early as Tuesday against the New Orleans Hornets.

“Quite honestly as good as D.C. and Paul have been playing, George is going to be a guy who continues to push for those starting jobs,” Vogel said. “He’s that good of a player and we’re looking forward to him getting back.”

What are your thoughts, would you like to see Hill starting at the point and Collison coming off the bench?

I don’t think that would be a bad move.

I think teaming Collison and Tyler Hansbrough together in the second unit will be a positive for Hansbrough because they’re familiar with each other and it should help him get out of his season-long shooting funk (38 percent shooting). Collison and Hansbrough were effective in running the pick-and-roll together last season.

Hill hasn’t played a lot of point guard with the starters this season, but he should be able to make the transition, especially since he started at the point some when Tony Parker was injured while with the Spurs.

Vogel doesn’t have to make the switch right away because Hill will likely be rusty when he returns, but doing it at some point could pay off down the road.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...-hill-returns/

Indianapolis Star/Mike Wells

---
    That would definitely take care of the point guard defense, and he would force more turnovers causing us to go on the break... I'd like the move, but I'm not a huge fan of Collison as the starting point guard so I might be a bit biased here.
    Last edited by BringJackBack; 02-20-2012 at 10:24 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

I don't think Hill is a pg. He is what he is a great combo guard off the bench. His court vision and passing skills are worse the DC's and DC isn't as good in these areas as I'd like our starting pg to be.
    When Hill returns I think we need to put the rotation back to what was working so well earlier in the season. Hopefully we'll be able to add Jeff to that consistantly very soon.

I like Darren but look forward to Hill's defensive presence with the starters when the change occurs. Having said that I agree with other posters looking for an upgrade at that position overall (ie; a better starter) in the future.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Yes to starting to over Collison
    No to starting over Paul George

Hill, George, Granger would be one elite defensive combo. Plus I have been wanting to move Collison to the second unit where we could definitely use his scoring, and his defense wouldn't be such a liability. Plus Hill has looked much better passing to West on the PnP/PnR.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

Well, hopefully we can absorb a contract that would add a dynamic force to our offense in addition to Foster and DC (Or in your case, Hill) off the bench by the time the trade deadline arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Hill, George, Granger would be one elite defensive combo. Plus I have been wanting to move Collison to the second unit where we could definitely use his scoring, and his defense wouldn't be such a liability.
    Yeah, I'd like to see DC look for his shot on a consistent basis. I'd like to see him be as aggressive as he was versus Utah, when he dropped 25, and really look for his shot off the bench.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've advocated for putting Hill in the starting slot since the day the trade was announced. I think it would help both groups.

For those that beleive that Hill cannot be a starting PG, just keep in mind that Hill did start a lot of games in San Antonio while Parker was out. Hill also started when Parker initially returned to the line up.

As such, Hill is every bit if a starting PG
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I like a pointguard that can point, while i appreciate hill as a sg, i think he stinks in pointing.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

George Hill starting at PG over Darren Collison would be amazing for DC. It would also be good for our 1st unit's defense and our 2nd unit's offense. It would probably suck for George Hill, though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Vogel said he will 'continue' to push for the starting job. Well, apparently he wasn't pushing hard enough before, because he never started. So no reason to think it will happen as he comes back rusty from an injury.

In other words, don't count on it.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

I just gave the thread the same title Wells did, not trying to be misleading

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

I think this is Wells playing "pot stirrer" for the sake of stirring the pot. I doubt Vogel makes this change mid-season - more likely he just increases/decreases playing time as need be.

In Mark Jackson's last year with the team, he started, but Travis Best often finished because of his defensive presence.

Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    I think this is Wells playing "pot stirrer" for the sake of stirring the pot. I doubt Vogel makes this change mid-season - more likely he just increases/decreases playing time as need be.

In Mark Jackson's last year with the team, he started, but Travis Best often finished because of his defensive presence.
    But Mark Jackson could run an offense.

George Hill is the better basketball player and his absence is a big reason we lost 5 in a row. He is far and away a better defender. That position goes from one of weakness to strength when he's out there. He can score just as well as Collison and I disagree with people who say his PG skills are worse. Neither one of them are good PG's. The only differences is, George Hill gives you a little size along with excellent defense at the point of attack. Don't discount that.

Personally, I would prefer to see Darren play SG on the second unit with Lance running the point. They would switch on defense to match-up properly. Darren is a pure shooter from midrange and could do incredible damage as a SG on the second unit.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post

Hill, George, Granger would be one elite defensive combo. Plus I have been wanting to move Collison to the second unit where we could definitely use his scoring, and his defense wouldn't be such a liability. Plus Hill has looked much better passing to West on the PnP/PnR.
    Yep. We often struggle against bigger starting PG's in the NBA because Collison can't handle them. That is a huge advantage for the opposition, allowing them to get into their offense pretty easily...and for their point to easily see over Darren. ...and good point about his defense on the second unit. It would not be as much of a liability against other backups.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Who starts doesn't really matter to me, but I want Hill to finish games instead of Collison. If starting Collison allows him to keep his confidence, then start him, but finish with Hill

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I know Wells has said this all season, but I'm getting the hunch something might happen soon after Hill returns.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I know Wells has said this all season, but I'm getting the hunch something might happen soon after Hill returns.
    TRAID??????????????????

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Care to elaborate?

Do you mean changing lineups, or do you mean trades?

I guess I fall in the "I don't really care category for this".

George Hill has shown the ability to perform at a similar level whether as a starter or a bench player. We don't know how Collison would perform off the bench so that does worry me.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I guess I fall in the "I don't really care category for this".

George Hill has shown the ability to perform at a similar level whether as a starter or a bench player. We don't know how Collison would perform off the bench so that does worry me.
    Considering the level he's performing at now, isn't it worth a shot to find out?

Lineup change. Collison was benched for his defense two games ago, Hill is a good defender, our bench needs more scoring, Vogel's new comments, etc. It feels like all signs are pointing in the direction of a lineup change.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

I would consider the switch but also consider DC psychie and if he copuld handle a "demotion" . Vogel and staff probably know the answer to that, but I wouldnt want to try it , if DC would start to "pull a Roy" and go into a shell

I see Hill as an upgrade defensively, but not sure he would run the team any better than DC, whom most would say is a true PG, unlike Hill

That being said, I am so down on DC that I would like to try it. If they did and it happened for an extended period of time, I could see AJ losing the majority of minutes as DC would be the back up PG instead of AJ
    Sittin on top of the world!

Lineup change. Collison was benched for his defense two games ago,
    Around the same time there was some alleged friction behind the scenes?

Also noticed last night Foster seemed to be unhappy (or maybe just constructive) with Tyler last night at one point. Nothing extreme and was only for a second, but something ticked Jeff off.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Vogel's quote is being taken out of context. I see it more as he expects Hill to work his *** off, not that he's going to supplant Paul or Collison (though he might if either of the former has a bad stretch of games).

DC isn't terrible by any means, but I've come around to realize that he's just not the PG I was expecting when we acquired him. We really need a new starter. Collison off the bench would be perfect.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post: