Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 102

Thread: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

  1. #1
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    A change in the lineup once Hill returns?
    11:43 PM, Feb. 19, 2012 | Written by Mike Wells | 4 Comments
    I came into the season thinking that George Hill would be the Pacers starting point guard by the first week of February.

    Hill definitely had an impact by the first week of February, it’s just too bad it’s because he was in a walking boot due to a chip fracture in his left ankle.

    So I quit thinking about Hill being the starting point guard.

    That was until Sunday when Frank Vogel (without being asked) mentioned that Hill will challenge Darren Collison and Paul George (I can’t see PG moving to the bench) for their starting spots once he returns to the lineup, which could be as early as Tuesday against the New Orleans Hornets.

    “Quite honestly as good as D.C. and Paul have been playing, George is going to be a guy who continues to push for those starting jobs,” Vogel said. “He’s that good of a player and we’re looking forward to him getting back.”

    What are your thoughts, would you like to see Hill starting at the point and Collison coming off the bench?

    I don’t think that would be a bad move.

    I think teaming Collison and Tyler Hansbrough together in the second unit will be a positive for Hansbrough because they’re familiar with each other and it should help him get out of his season-long shooting funk (38 percent shooting). Collison and Hansbrough were effective in running the pick-and-roll together last season.

    Hill hasn’t played a lot of point guard with the starters this season, but he should be able to make the transition, especially since he started at the point some when Tony Parker was injured while with the Spurs.

    Vogel doesn’t have to make the switch right away because Hill will likely be rusty when he returns, but doing it at some point could pay off down the road.

    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...-hill-returns/

    Indianapolis Star/Mike Wells

    ---
    That would definitely take care of the point guard defense, and he would force more turnovers causing us to go on the break... I'd like the move, but I'm not a huge fan of Collison as the starting point guard so I might be a bit biased here.
    Last edited by BringJackBack; 02-20-2012 at 10:24 AM.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,920

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    I don't think Hill is a pg. He is what he is a great combo guard off the bench. His court vision and passing skills are worse the DC's and DC isn't as good in these areas as I'd like our starting pg to be.
    When Hill returns I think we need to put the rotation back to what was working so well earlier in the season. Hopefully we'll be able to add Jeff to that consistantly very soon.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,316

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    I like Darren but look forward to Hill's defensive presence with the starters when the change occurs. Having said that I agree with other posters looking for an upgrade at that position overall (ie; a better starter) in the future.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    941

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    Yes to starting to over Collison
    No to starting over Paul George

    Hill, George, Granger would be one elite defensive combo. Plus I have been wanting to move Collison to the second unit where we could definitely use his scoring, and his defense wouldn't be such a liability. Plus Hill has looked much better passing to West on the PnP/PnR.

  7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    Well, hopefully we can absorb a contract that would add a dynamic force to our offense in addition to Foster and DC (Or in your case, Hill) off the bench by the time the trade deadline arrives.

  9. #6
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes to starting to over Collison
    No to starting over Paul George

    Hill, George, Granger would be one elite defensive combo. Plus I have been wanting to move Collison to the second unit where we could definitely use his scoring, and his defense wouldn't be such a liability.
    Yeah, I'd like to see DC look for his shot on a consistent basis. I'd like to see him be as aggressive as he was versus Utah, when he dropped 25, and really look for his shot off the bench.

  10. #7
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    I've advocated for putting Hill in the starting slot since the day the trade was announced. I think it would help both groups.

  11. #8
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    For those that beleive that Hill cannot be a starting PG, just keep in mind that Hill did start a lot of games in San Antonio while Parker was out. Hill also started when Parker initially returned to the line up.

    As such, Hill is every bit if a starting PG
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  12. #9
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    I like a pointguard that can point, while i appreciate hill as a sg, i think he stinks in pointing.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  13. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    18,959

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    George Hill starting at PG over Darren Collison would be amazing for DC. It would also be good for our 1st unit's defense and our 2nd unit's offense. It would probably suck for George Hill, though.

  15. #11
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    Vogel said he will 'continue' to push for the starting job. Well, apparently he wasn't pushing hard enough before, because he never started. So no reason to think it will happen as he comes back rusty from an injury.

    In other words, don't count on it.

  16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  17. #12
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    I just gave the thread the same title Wells did, not trying to be misleading

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Member MTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brentwood, TN
    Posts
    694

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    I think this is Wells playing "pot stirrer" for the sake of stirring the pot. I doubt Vogel makes this change mid-season - more likely he just increases/decreases playing time as need be.

    In Mark Jackson's last year with the team, he started, but Travis Best often finished because of his defensive presence.

  20. #14
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,168

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this is Wells playing "pot stirrer" for the sake of stirring the pot. I doubt Vogel makes this change mid-season - more likely he just increases/decreases playing time as need be.

    In Mark Jackson's last year with the team, he started, but Travis Best often finished because of his defensive presence.
    But Mark Jackson could run an offense.

    George Hill is the better basketball player and his absence is a big reason we lost 5 in a row. He is far and away a better defender. That position goes from one of weakness to strength when he's out there. He can score just as well as Collison and I disagree with people who say his PG skills are worse. Neither one of them are good PG's. The only differences is, George Hill gives you a little size along with excellent defense at the point of attack. Don't discount that.

    Personally, I would prefer to see Darren play SG on the second unit with Lance running the point. They would switch on defense to match-up properly. Darren is a pure shooter from midrange and could do incredible damage as a SG on the second unit.

  21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  22. #15
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,168

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes to starting to over Collison
    No to starting over Paul George

    Hill, George, Granger would be one elite defensive combo. Plus I have been wanting to move Collison to the second unit where we could definitely use his scoring, and his defense wouldn't be such a liability. Plus Hill has looked much better passing to West on the PnP/PnR.
    Yep. We often struggle against bigger starting PG's in the NBA because Collison can't handle them. That is a huge advantage for the opposition, allowing them to get into their offense pretty easily...and for their point to easily see over Darren. ...and good point about his defense on the second unit. It would not be as much of a liability against other backups.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  24. #16
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    Who starts doesn't really matter to me, but I want Hill to finish games instead of Collison. If starting Collison allows him to keep his confidence, then start him, but finish with Hill

  25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  26. #17

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    I know Wells has said this all season, but I'm getting the hunch something might happen soon after Hill returns.

  27. #18
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know Wells has said this all season, but I'm getting the hunch something might happen soon after Hill returns.
    TRAID??????????????????

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  28. #19
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,556
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know Wells has said this all season, but I'm getting the hunch something might happen soon after Hill returns.
    Care to elaborate?

    Do you mean changing lineups, or do you mean trades?

  29. #20
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    I guess I fall in the "I don't really care category for this".

    George Hill has shown the ability to perform at a similar level whether as a starter or a bench player. We don't know how Collison would perform off the bench so that does worry me.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  30. #21
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess I fall in the "I don't really care category for this".

    George Hill has shown the ability to perform at a similar level whether as a starter or a bench player. We don't know how Collison would perform off the bench so that does worry me.
    Considering the level he's performing at now, isn't it worth a shot to find out?

  31. #22

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    Lineup change. Collison was benched for his defense two games ago, Hill is a good defender, our bench needs more scoring, Vogel's new comments, etc. It feels like all signs are pointing in the direction of a lineup change.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:


  33. #23
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,607

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    I would consider the switch but also consider DC psychie and if he copuld handle a "demotion" . Vogel and staff probably know the answer to that, but I wouldnt want to try it , if DC would start to "pull a Roy" and go into a shell

    I see Hill as an upgrade defensively, but not sure he would run the team any better than DC, whom most would say is a true PG, unlike Hill

    That being said, I am so down on DC that I would like to try it. If they did and it happened for an extended period of time, I could see AJ losing the majority of minutes as DC would be the back up PG instead of AJ
    Sittin on top of the world!

  34. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,316

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lineup change. Collison was benched for his defense two games ago,
    Around the same time there was some alleged friction behind the scenes?

    Also noticed last night Foster seemed to be unhappy (or maybe just constructive) with Tyler last night at one point. Nothing extreme and was only for a second, but something ticked Jeff off.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  35. #25
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A change in the lineup once Hill returns?

    I think Vogel's quote is being taken out of context. I see it more as he expects Hill to work his *** off, not that he's going to supplant Paul or Collison (though he might if either of the former has a bad stretch of games).

    DC isn't terrible by any means, but I've come around to realize that he's just not the PG I was expecting when we acquired him. We really need a new starter. Collison off the bench would be perfect.

  36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Mike Wells George Hill article
    By pacer4ever in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 06-25-2011, 01:50 AM
  2. Whether starter or reserve, Hill fills many needs
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 11:03 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 08:10 PM
  4. Dwyane Wade returns to Heat lineup against New Jersey [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 07:10 PM
  5. The.Bunny@IndyStar.com > Pacers prepare for lineup change
    By ChicagoJ in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 03:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •