Thread: Charlotte Odd Thoughts Thread (Crowdsourced Edition)

Default Charlotte Odd Thoughts Thread (Crowdsourced Edition)

Peck's computer died last night and he's not going to re-write the Bobcats stuff. So let's write it for him.

RULES: the goal is to replicate Peck's writing in both content and style. That means no wishing for Roy Hibbert to demonstrate that jumpshot he showed last year, etc. Try to sound like Peck. Everybody posts one paragraph at a time.

=========

What a win. You know, when we started the season we talked about how the shortened season would help us, since we were a deeper team than many. While that's true, I think it's also hurt us. Last night we got to see what happens when we get some practice time. Now let's be honest, we just played the worst team of a decade and did so at home, so I don't know how much this will carry forward. But regardless of the opponent, there were a lot of good things happening tonight. During the opening 20-2 run, I leaned over and said to Diamond Dave "Tonight is either going to be one of those nights or else one of those nights." I'm glad to know I was right. I was briefly worried in the second quarter, but by the half I knew this would be one of the more dominate games the Pacers played this season.
    Last edited by Anthem; 02-20-2012 at 09:24 AM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Charlotte Odd Thoughts Thread (Crowdsourced Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pe During the opening 20-2 run, I leaned over and said to Diamond Dave
    and said to Mrs. Peck
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Another bowl of Chicken Soup as we head into the All Star Break and while it was satisfying you can't puff your chest out. This was like the German army invading Poland in 1939. A Blitzkrieg on the basketball court where the Bobcats were being hit from everywhere.

I respect Paul Silas and a had a slight tug at my heart to see such a great man suffer through some of the ugliest basketball I've ever witnessed. But it was only a slight tug, I still remember who the majority owner is.
    Last edited by RWB; 02-20-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

DALE DAVIS.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

I swear when Roy windmilled that dunk it was like The Mighty Thor had come from Asgard, swinging down Mjolnir upon the heads of the Bobcats.

And now some fruit....

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Pacers..108
    Bobcats..73

Nothing more need be said.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not the same.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Games such as this have been as rare and wonderful as unicorns in seasons past, and as this one progressed to its merciful first quarter conclusion, after which the teams briefly decided to begin competition anew until the outcome was irrevocably confirmed in the third, a feeling of tranquility much like a post Thanksgiving dinner tryptophan induced euphoria came upon me.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, this contest (if you could call it that) once again gave me pause to reflect upon how far this franchise has come in such a brief period of time from what arguably was one of the darkest periods in its 45 season history.

Granted, there is a long way to go to become competitive with the elite on a nightly basis as our recent spot-on Bobcat impression against the Heat indicates, but performances like this one show how much we all have to be thankful for as fans of a now ascendant franchise, filled with hope and promise, with our hearts gladdened and our minds focused on a bright future as opposed to the feelings of loathing, despair and righteous indignation that were both nearly universally felt and expressed here with nearly metronomic consistency during the previous now infamous regime which espoused the failed strategy of the "stretch 4", motionless motion offense, and only gave lip service to defense to such a laughable degree that the focus was on field goal percentage as opposed to providing actual resistance. Other than the majority of those of us downtrodden fans who continued to follow the Pacers into the abyss, who would have thought that the simple act of hiring a coach who, despite suckling at the teat of wisdom dispensed by his predecessor for fourteen formative years, reversed course in nearly every conceivable way and that that would result in a return to both respectability and competitive fire that has proven, for the most part, to be contagious?

But, as always, I digress. It was a great win against a team that is reaping the Karmic benefits of the benevolent ownership of his Airness, and that makes me smile.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

After ol' Bugeyes passed things off to Legend, he did us the favor of hiring Satan, which simply erased all the terrible memories of the Season We Do Not Name.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Peck's computer died last night and he's not going to re-write the Bobcats stuff. So let's write it for him.

RULES: the goal is to replicate Peck's writing in both content and style. That means no wishing for Roy Hibbert to demonstrate that jumpshot he showed last year, etc. Try to sound like Peck. Everybody posts one paragraph at a time.

=========

What a win. You know, when we started the season we talked about how the shortened season would help us, since we were a deeper team than many. While that's true, I think it's also hurt us. Last night we got to see what happens when we get some practice time. Now let's be honest, we just played the worst team of a decade and did so at home, so I don't know how much this will carry forward. But regardless of the opponent, there were a lot of good things happening tonight. During the opening 20-2 run, I leaned over and said to Diamond Dave "Tonight is either going to be one of those nights or else one of those nights." I'm glad to know I was right. I was briefly worried in the second quarter, but by the half I knew this would be one of the more dominate games the Pacers played this season.
    Outstanding.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    DALE DAVIS.
    Your avatar makes that post so much better.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Outstanding.
    So glad somebody caught it!
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Do I get to vote which one was best?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    DALE DAVIS.
    I liked your post simply because it said "Dale Davis".

.....And because it's EXACTLY what I was gonna put, too, damn it.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post

Glad I could appease.

Talking Re: Charlotte Odd Thoughts Thread (Crowdsourced Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post

Speaking of Double D ...

I just found a few Pacer's basketball cards I had put back in mint..

'92/'93 Upper Deck
    Dale Davis
    Detlev Schrempf
    Chuck Person
    George McCloud

and of course my Mark Jackson '88-'89 Fleer rookie card

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

I said a little chicken soup is always good for what ails you but tonight's soup was served with a helping of cat. Coach Silas was likely looking at the scoreboard and wondering if the ghosts of Reggie Miller and Dale Davis were in the house. I'm pretty sure at one point he was looking for a white flag and I'm sure one of his assistants yelled "No Mas!".

I know most didn't think the Bobcats would be much competition but at one point we were up 46 points. Say it slowly. Forty.Six.Points. Did Coach Satan and his 3 happy offense ever have a team down by 46 points? I hate to mention his name because I know some of you wish I could just move on but without him the team is just so much differant. Frank Vogel is a breath of fresh air and I'm pretty sure when the lights hit him just right you can see a halo above his head.

Let's take a moment to enjoy the dancing fruit.

I was going to hand out grades but after I thought about it this game deserves something more meaningful. Instead of grades I'd just like to give the team this season's first Dale Davis Award.

Now don't make me take it back!

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

bball wins the thread.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Did Coach Satan and his 3 happy offense ever have a team down by 46 points? I hate to mention his name because I know some of you wish I could just move on but without him the team is just so much differant.
    Didn't they come close to that big of a lead the night they went ballistic in the third quarter against Denver last year?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Mood

So glad somebody caught it!
    I'd always assumed that Peck merits a 'Strunk&White Emeritus' pass for his contributions from Anthem and the rest.
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Didn't they come close to that big of a lead the night they went ballistic in the third quarter against Denver last year?
    I don't know... When channeling Peck your hands just move over the keyboard and the words come out. Then the dancing fruit.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: