Thread: Just some perspective....

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Just some perspective....

Even after our tough 5 game stretch...
    Even after some of our injury woes...
    Even after our up and downs and the completion of the toughest part of our schedule...

We are .5 games out of 3rd place in the Eastern Conference, with our last two games before break coming against New Orleans and Charlotte again.

Philly plays Memphis on Tuesday on the road, followed by the Rockets, also on the road.

Atlanta plays Chicago tonight, NY and then Orlando, and ORL as said has to matchup with ATL.

We're going into the All-Star break right on the cusp of homecourt advantage, with our most difficult stretch of games behind us. George Hill is coming back. We are in good shape guys!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: Just some perspective....

Nice perspective.

Our biggest challenge is between our ears.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

OT - just a question. How does seeding lay out? Assuming we end up 2nd in the central with the atlantic and the southeast divisions have champions, couldn't the best we do is 4th no matter what our record is? Even if we end up with a better record than say Philly for example (would we be the 3rd seed in that case)?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OT - just a question. How does seeding lay out? Assuming we end up 2nd in the central with the atlantic and the southeast divisions have champions, couldn't the best we do is 4th no matter what our record is? Even if we end up with a better record than say Philly for example (would we be the 3rd seed in that case)?
    We could end up as high as 2nd if we are 2nd in the Central and somehow had better records than the Atlantic and Southeast division champions. All a division title guarantees you in homecourt in round one, ie a minimum seed of fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    We could end up as high as 2nd if we are 2nd in the Central and somehow had better records than the Atlantic and Southeast division champions. All a division title guarantees you in homecourt in round one, ie a minimum seed of fourth.
    It doesn't even guarantee you homecourt. A divsion winner does get at least the 4th seed, but the 5th seed would get homecourt if they have a better record than that division winner. The same would be true in a 3/6 situation (although that would be really rare because it would require 4 teams from one division to be better than any team from the other two divisions).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

That is very good perspective. However, I would much rather our team be playing a lot better against the better teams in the league, as opposed to beating up on the bottom feeders.

And then I remembered

We've finished the past 5 seasons or so, at least 10 games under .500!! I was predicting about a .500 type of season, which would AT LEAST be a 10 game improvement from the past half decade! If we can make a minor move or two during the trade deadline, you're right..we could very well finish in the top 3 of seeding for the playoffs!

HORRIBLE 5-game stretch aside, this is a major improvement over what we're used to seeing from the Blue and Gold here recently

Call me weird, but I think the 5-game losing streak this early in the season is a good thing. For me, those losses just made the players and coaching staff reflect a bit more and rediscover the team's weakness to be able to correct them in the long run. Gotta take the good out of the bad as one would say.

Anyway, we're still in good , and if the team takes advantage of the next games (a 6-game win streak will be a good thing), then our position will be solidified further and will be advantageous when things get crowded in the middle of the standings.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Ya, but imagine what if we have lost the New Jersey game.
    We didn´t win the nets game by a lot.

But yes, after the losing streak, the team should have better mental toughness.
    And still having +7 games out of 31 games (almost half the season) put additional confidence to the players.

Just like one have 7 points leads at halftime of a game.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    That is very good perspective. However, I would much rather our team be playing a lot better against the better teams in the league, as opposed to beating up on the bottom feeders.
    We've played good against a lot of great teams and we've also played bad against not so good teams. So, we're not just beating up on the bottom feeders

The team is young and we're not consistent yet. We will be better when we manage to play in a consistent level game in and game out.

I don't wanna freak anyone out, but you should go look at our first 10-12 games in March.... That's probably our most difficult stretch of the entire schedule and everyone seems to ignore it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I don't wanna freak anyone out, but you should go look at our first 10-12 games in March.... That's probably our most difficult stretch of the entire schedule and everyone seems to ignore it.
    Well, they were not the hardest stretch when most people started to look at the schedule.

The Hornets, the Knicks and the Wizards looked like complete bottom feeders. The Hornets seem to play better than their record, the Knicks were taken over by Linsanity and the Wizards have shown that they can still be dangerous if they're taken lightly and are at a good shooting night. The Suns and the Bucks are looking better as well.

But yeah, you have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post

And then I remembered

We've finished the past 5 seasons or so, at least 10 games under .500!! I was predicting about a .500 type of season, which would AT LEAST be a 10 game improvement from the past half decade! If we can make a minor move or two during the trade deadline, you're right..we could very well finish in the top 3 of seeding for the playoffs!

HORRIBLE 5-game stretch aside, this is a major improvement over what we're used to seeing from the Blue and Gold here recently
    Also beating up on the bottom feeders is a common way to get a good record, especially in the East. Here are the records for the East playoff teams against .500 or better teams:

Miami 14-4
    Chicago 9-6
    Pacers 9-9
    Orlando 9-10
    Boston 6-9
    New York 6-9
    Philadelphia 6-11
    Atlanta 6-11

The Pacers actually have the worst record among the top 6 against below .500 teams at 10-3, but they are on par against the good teams.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I wouldn't call it the most difficult part of the schedule. From January 22nd through February 14th the Pacers played 14 games. 13 were against teams .500 and over and 8 of them were on the road.

But yes, the 9 game stretch in March (from At Chicago through Clippers at home) will be difficult. All 9 teams currently .500 or over with 5 at home and 4 on the road.

The Pacers schedule is ridiculously unbalanced this year both in terms of road/home and when they play good teams. After that 9 game stretch they play 5 out of 6 against teams with losing records. Then they play 5 out of 6 against teams at .500 or better. After that 4 straight against teams with losing records. Then they finish the season with 4 out of 6 against teams .500 or better. The Pacers will likely continue to seesaw because of that schedule.

We're going into the All-Star break right on the cusp of homecourt advantage, with our most difficult stretch of games behind us.

We have a stretch beginning in March that is at least as tough as we just went through based upon the opponents we are going to be playing and then from March 10th until the regular season ends we have an insane number of games

Gotta make hay while the sun shines then, and beat the teams we need to beat now. It's nice to have a buffer above .500 when the bad stretches hit.

Mood

So in that case (if we were the 2 seed), you are saying we would play the 7 seed in the first round? The division winners dont automatically get the 1-3 seeds?

Here is a tidbit i found, albeit on wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Playoffs