Thread: Star article on Vogel (w/ George Hill update)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Star article on Vogel (w/ George Hill update)

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...ws|text|Sports

Frank Vogel has faced his share of challenges since taking over as coach of the Indiana Pacers more than a year ago.

He had to change the culture of a beaten-down team after being named interim coach. Then he had to deal with chemistry issues during a six-game losing streak last March.

But Vogel's challenge during the team's recent five-game losing streak wasn't due to the culture or poor chemistry.

The Pacers' skid was the result of poor play, making his team's struggles easier for Vogel and his coaching staff to correct.

"There's a purity to this group of players," Vogel said. "There's a determination and these guys like each other and they like playing with each other. Managing relationships is the last thing I have to do with this group. This was all about getting us back to playing the type of basketball we were playing earlier in the season."

Vogel isn't one to blame others. He always looks at himself to see what he can do better.

He slept for only about five hours when the team returned from Cleveland after its loss to the Cavaliers early Thursday morning. Vogel watched film on the flight home, then watched more after his daughters left for school, searching for answers to the Pacers' defensive struggles.

The Pacers, who face the Charlotte Bobcats tonight at Bankers Life Fieldhouse, have given up at least 46 percent shooting in seven straight games.

Limited time to practice has made it difficult to teach on the court. Instead of constant running during the little practice time that the Pacers have, Vogel prefers thorough film sessions in which he can teach without worrying about tiring his team even more.

"We're all in this together. I evaluate myself," Vogel said. "My biggest job is tying these guys together, and when they're not together, I have to figure out if in any way, shape or form is it the result of what I'm doing."

Vogel lost his cool toward his players only once during their skid.

The Pacers had a chance to make a statement against the Miami Heat, who were playing their third game in as many days, last week. The Pacers were never in the game, however, trailing by as many as 35 points.

Vogel gave the players an earful about their embarrassing performance during halftime when they trailed the Heat by 29.

"He went off that day," said forward Danny Granger, who played in only the first quarter because of an ankle injury. "He said some things that made you go, 'Wow.' That's not normally his personality.

"I only saw him do that a couple of times last year, but it was the first time this season. He had a right to, considering how we were playing."

Vogel said he reacted that way during that Feb. 14 loss because he knows his team is better than what it showed against the Heat.

"I don't like to snap, but I'm very protective of these guys," he said. "When I go into my office and their effort is challenged, I take it personal that I need to stand up for these guys. The message into that halftime was nothing other than, 'You're better than this.' "

Hill getting closer

Pacers guard George Hill might return to the lineup before the All-Star break after all.

Hill, out since Jan. 31 with a chip fracture in his left ankle, took part in all of practice Saturday with the exception of the scrimmage.

The Pacers will evaluate Hill today to see how his ankle feels. They have missed his scoring and energy off the bench.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Default Re: Star article on Vogel (w/ George Hill update)

I love Vogel, and I am glad to hear he can yell at them if he has to.

Also, I don't see any reason to bring Hill back before the break.

Banned
    Mood

And here I was thinking the honeymoon was over, but I just fell in love all over again.

I was about to post this article when I saw you posted it. Tought it was really interesting that Frank Vogel sometimes gives some hard sermons (even last year according to Danny).

Mood

Every game I like Vogel more and more. Hearing that even thought when he had to go off on the team he turned it into a positive saying he knew we were better than that. If we get through to the second round of the playoffs I think he would be considered as a coach of the year candidate.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Vogel should have just come to this forum. He'd know what's wrong with the D in no time.

Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I'm not in the locker room (or am I?...) but Frank doesn't strike me as a guy that a lot of players would take seriously if he was a screamer or whatever you wanna call it. More of a disappointing big brother type thing.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Frank Vogel is a f**king bad-***.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Frank Vogel is a f**king bad-***.
    Agreed, how can anyone not like this guy?
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Yeah, I remember the look on Vogel's face as he was pacing the sidelines right before halftime. I knew our guys were gonna get it, I'd never seen coach look like that.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Banned

I would pay money to watch this guy rip into someone...

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    Agreed, how can anyone not like this guy?
    Just you wait. Coaches always develop haters as they move along in their seasons/careers. Sad, but true. As unfathomable as it is today, one day Frank Vogel will get fired. Nature of the beast.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

HC

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Just you wait. Coaches always develop haters as they move along in their seasons/careers. Sad, but true. As unfathomable as it is today, one day Frank Vogel will get fired. Nature of the beast.
    How dare you. Vogel will retire with not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4......

You get the idea

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

"Vogel" is the German word for bird. And the surname "Vogel" is equivalent to the surname "Bird"

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Sadly I have to concur. He is just so likeable, and seems to be just an all around good guy. After seeing what happened to Sloan, nothing surprises me anymore.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

23. The Following User Says Thank You to HC For This Useful Post: