Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 154

Thread: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by Smits Happens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the point is it was a championship-caliber team, even if it never won a title. The '98 team in particular could have easily been a championship team in many other seasons.
    Yeah but the point is that they never won anything, right now the goal would be to get pass through Miami, do I think we beat them with the way we are formed right now and as Danny as our best player? I don't think so.

  2. #52
    Member Smits Happens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Roswell, GA
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah but the point is that they never won anything, right now the goal would be to get pass through Miami, do I think we beat them with the way we are formed right now and as Danny as our best player? I don't think so.
    I don't think so either, but I was merely referring to the earlier team that you pointed out never won anything. My point was simply that they were good enough to be a championship team, and that's about all you can ask of management is to put together a team that's good enough to win it all.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Smits Happens For This Useful Post:


  4. #53
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,621

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Danny is basically the emotion of this team. If a teammate gets in a fight Danny is there to stick up for his guy. If someone talks about our team publicly Danny isn't afraid to say something publicly right back. If somebody upsets Danny he goes off for 30+ points. If we trade him we will lose that and who knows if the guy we bring in will bring that same mentality? Danny has been loyal and has never asked to leave or complained about playing in a small market. I think he'll be here his whole career whether everyone likes it or not. I just hope there isn't a point where he gets traded in a similar scenario that Jermaine did.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:


  6. #54
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you sure about that? Danny has regressed every year in almost every category, if he keeps regressing at the rate he has he is going to be shooting a low percentage while averaging way less ppg that he is getting now or in 5 or 6 years.

    I would like to know why you are saying that "Danny has returned"
    He's "returned" because of his defensive intensity, which is clearly higher. As for his "constant regression", that's not really statistically true. He did decline during the JOB years, but what he's doing this year is pretty much in his normal range or just slightly below his top level. His BLK% is at his recent norm which runs well below his peak, but his STL% is his all-time high this year.

    Using PER as the compilation of various stats...

    14.7 - Rick
    13.9 - Rick
    16.7 - JOB
    21.8 - JOB (4 years of growth to his peak)
    19.8 - JOB
    17.8 - JOB to Vogel
    18.1 - Vogel

    Danny's 5 game average has trended up on FG%, FTAs, and Points all year. For the last 10 games or so Danny's FTA rate is way above his career high even (above 8, career 4.9), and despite a couple of lower FTA outings recently the 5 game average remains higher than his career average as does his season average.

    His 5 game FG% took a hit in recent games, but had climbed into the upper 40s. It dipped back below 40 for a few games (the 5 game avr, not single game) and has now rising back to the high 40s.

    His PPG 5game average got up to 25 after starting the year below 15 through 9 games. It, like the FG%, dipped recently to below 20 but has recovered back to almost 23.


    What the 5 game average is doing is monitoring trends in behavior but with a bit of a low pass filter to remove single game bounces. These things all show that week by week Danny's offensive game has been improving in general, and that the good/bad game ratio is getting higher. And not just higher, but heading into the area of output that would be on par with as good as Danny has done in general.


    WHY SOME OF THE PAST STATS...
    Offensively JOB ramped up the 3pt shooting and leaned on Danny especially to shoot the 3 in very high volume, thus he hit a PER peak with JOB. But as the JOB method continued on and made the situation worse and worse we saw Danny start to decline.

    Vogel seems to have stabilized Danny overall and actually inspired him on the defensive end.

    Danny's Win Shares per minute is way up and is currently the 2nd highest in his career. His TOs are way down (on a team that's not been good at protecting the ball) and his fouls are way down as well. He's playing smarter, more aggressive ball in the more structured Vogel strategy.


    And all of this is in spite of a terrible shooting slump at the beginning of the season. Apart from changes due to strategy pace and that poor run of 2P% he's dead-center in being what his normal game is.



    EVALUATION OVERALL...
    I'm not calling him a regular all-star, but I am saying that Reggie Miller was also not a regular AS, he sporadically made the team and made his biggest contributions as a playoff hero. In that way, regular season Danny is equal to regular season Reggie in terms of a guy that can "get you there". Reggie worked in conjunction with several other guys and Danny can and is doing the same.

    People want him to be something he's not, just like those same people (or people like them) thought Reggie wasn't enough right up until the point when he suddenly was enough.

    If you don't have a clear #5 guy then you don't really need a clear #1 guy either. If your 3,4,5 guys are winning every night then they can easily offset the losses at the 1,2 level. If Danny and Paul lose to Lebron and Wade they can still win overall if West, DC and Roy win their matchups. I admit they haven't done that the first two times, but there is reason to expect them to be able too. Chalmers should not be > DC, Bosh should not be > West (not by much) and Roy > any Miami center.

    They weren't, but they can be. And that's why you don't have to trade Danny to "fix" the situation. It's not broke, not talent-wise at least. Chemistry and effort...yes, that was broken for 4-5 games, but we hope maybe it's mending now.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-19-2012 at 02:43 PM.

  7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  8. #55
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,249

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by Smits Happens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think so either, but I was merely referring to the earlier team that you pointed out never won anything. My point was simply that they were good enough to be a championship team, and that's about all you can ask of management is to put together a team that's good enough to win it all.
    Yes...they were good enough. However, the pieces were close to the same age and they peaked together. That's my main point with Granger. Unless you have a Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant on your team...good luck winning at all. When neither of your best players peak at the same time, you can pretty much forget it. Sure, they'll be good and fun to watch. Certainly above .500 once this team grows up. But as presently constructed this isn't a contender.

    The team in the 90's, although it did not have a superstar, it was built far better and its best players were closer in age than 7 years. Miller and Jackson were born in 65. Smits and McKey in 66. The Davis's in 68 and 69. This is not an unimportant issue when you consider Granger's future on this team...and the value he might bring in trade.

    Edit: ...and if someone brings up Jalen Rose...consider this. Reggie Miller was a serious odd ball in terms of longevity....
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 02-19-2012 at 02:34 PM.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  10. #56
    All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bilthoven, The Netherlands
    Age
    38
    Posts
    8,987

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Very nice post, Seth .
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

    2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:


  12. #57
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah but the point is that they never won anything, right now the goal would be to get pass through Miami, do I think we beat them with the way we are formed right now and as Danny as our best player? I don't think so.
    That's a ridiculous standard though. They were LEADING the 98 Bulls in Chicago, late in the 4th. That was the same as the Colts vs Pats. If the Colts lose that game to the Pats in the AFCCG, they don't go on to beat the Bears and go down as a "non elite team" by these standards.

    The Bulls could have lost that game, and we KNOW they were championship level elite. They were losing Jordan's ONLY game 7, at home, with just 4-5 minutes left. And considering the caliber of talent of the Bulls vs Jazz, the Bulls were the toughest opponent in the path (thus the Pats/Bears metaphor).

    The Pacers went to 4 ECF game 7s in 7 years. Not just the ECF, but "in 48 minutes you might be in the Finals" games. That's it. That's elite. It was actually basically better than everyone but the Bulls and Rockets, and in an overall number of elite seasons it was better than the Rockets in that era.

    Or am I supposed to believe that over 15 years there were only 4 elite teams, and only 1-2 at any given moment? Sorry Jazz, Sonics, Knicks, Pacers, 90's Lakers...you SUCK. Try again. Maybe trade Stockton and Malone for elite players than can put you over the top and win a title.

    I just hate that #2 = #LAST view. It makes people do desperate, panic moves as they chase after unrealistic goals. If Denver had that attitude they never would have won a Super Bowl with Elway...and neither would the Colts with Manning. How many blown chances to you give Peyton before you realize he's good, but not good enough? By the measure you put forth here you wouldn't have given him enough to get to the Super Bowl season.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-19-2012 at 02:41 PM.

  13. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  14. #58
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes...they were good enough. However, the pieces were close to the same age and they peaked together. That's my main point with Granger. Unless you have a Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant on your team...good luck winning at all. When neither of your best players peak at the same time, you can pretty much forget it. Sure, they'll be good and fun to watch. Certainly above .500 once this team grows up. But as presently constructed this isn't a contender.

    The team in the 90's, although it did not have a superstar, it was built far better and its best players were closer in age than 7 years. Miller and Jackson were born in 65. Smits and McKey in 66. The Davis's in 68 and 69. This is not an unimportant issue when you consider Granger's future on this team...and the value he might bring in trade.

    Edit: ...and if someone brings up Jalen Rose...consider this. Reggie Miller was a serious odd ball in terms of longevity....
    But Rose is to Reggie as Paul is to Danny in terms of age.

    Maybe when they win it all it's with a vet Danny who's not the top player anymore but still very good. Was Reggie really ever the top guy on those playoff teams? His best year by far was year 3, well before the perennial ECF teams. On his famous 8 in 8.9 night he stunk for 47 minutes and the team lived on Smits the entire time. Other guys often did that. Reggie was "one of the" best, but not "the" best much of the time. Only in the critical moments did he typically own the situation.



    I'm not against the jist of the idea, trading a vet to get younger or trading to adjust the talent disbursement across positions. But to me this is like trading Mark Jackson for Jalen Rose, and actually fits very well. Vet vs young, adjust where your talent is.

    That's the season that shall not be named. So the last time they really tried to make a move like this it destroyed offensive chemistry and resulted in a VERY LUCKY "undo" for the Pacers when Denver gifted Jax right back to us.

    Getting Rose was great, but ultimately it was great because it ended up not being Jax for Rose but rather "various deep bench" for Rose.*


    If the team was cap locked this might be different, or if they had a 3rd guy behind Paul and Danny who was on par with them (in terms of length, Hill can't go to the SF ever). But this team does not have too many wings of that caliber. They have 2 of them.





    *I will concede that another part of the issue was that moron Brown stubbornly chose to make some random point to Rose that was akin to setting himself on fire as a way to clean the clothes he was wearing, and they were counting on Workman who proceeded to get basically career-ending injured right after that.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-19-2012 at 02:56 PM.

  15. #59
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,626

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah but the point is that they never won anything, right now the goal would be to get pass through Miami, do I think we beat them with the way we are formed right now and as Danny as our best player? I don't think so.
    I say this for the sake of your own sanity.

    If this is the only goal for you then you need to either A.) become a bandwagon fan and just follow great teams/players around. B.) stop watching the NBA.

    Pray tell what team in the NBA right now is built to beat a team that got two of the top players of their generation and another great player to come on board?

    OKC? Maybe, we'll see.

    Chicago? Didn't work out so well last year.

    Remember this is Indiana, we are not going to be able to build a team of Dwight Howard, Daron Williams & Carmellow Anthony.

    What we are doing now is what we have to do, the way we will have to build.

    We may get lucky and get a star player this summer who decides he wants to win and doesn't care about the sun & sand and bright lights to come here as a free agent, but I doubt it.

    I think some of you guys forget how far we have come in just one short year. Remember just a year and a month ago we were one of the worst teams in the NBA with a coach who had no clue.

    Now, even with recent struggles, we are at the very least one of the good teams in the NBA (even if not elite).

    Also as to comparing the 90's teams to now. I think what people are forgetting is that this team did not come together overnight. We started drafting these players in the late 80's and got a few trades in the early 90's and kept on drafting.

    Seth is actually saying it, but I want to re-emphasize it.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  17. #60
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,610

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    I might be in the minority here, but I trade PG before I trade Granger

    Granger is by far and away our most consistent player. West is probably second.

    If we were to get Rondo, I would rather a package of DC/PG and picks
    Sittin on top of the world!

  18. #61
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    If we traded Danny, wouldn't it be for a player of at-least-similar stature? And so wouldn't Paul George just defer to that guy instead?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  20. #62
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,858

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    There are very few trades involving Danny Granger that make sense for both teams.

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  22. #63
    Member habart30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kalamazoo
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    As someone has already mentioned, Granger won't be going anywhere unless it involves Dwight Howard this year. Trading Hibbert, Granger, LOU and a pick or two for Howard, and JRich or Hedo would be the only move that would make us better this year.

    Do I see this happening? Absolutley not. Why? B/c Orlando wants more, and we would be stupid to give it up.

  23. #64
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,249

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But Rose is to Reggie as Paul is to Danny in terms of age.

    Maybe when they win it all it's with a vet Danny who's not the top player anymore but still very good. Was Reggie really ever the top guy on those playoff teams? His best year by far was year 3, well before the perennial ECF teams. On his famous 8 in 8.9 night he stunk for 47 minutes and the team lived on Smits the entire time. Other guys often did that. Reggie was "one of the" best, but not "the" best much of the time. Only in the critical moments did he typically own the situation.

    I'm not against the jist of the idea, trading a vet to get younger or trading to adjust the talent disbursement across positions. But to me this is like trading Mark Jackson for Jalen Rose, and actually fits very well. Vet vs young, adjust where your talent is.

    That's the season that shall not be named. So the last time they really tried to make a move like this it destroyed offensive chemistry and resulted in a VERY LUCKY "undo" for the Pacers when Denver gifted Jax right back to us.

    Getting Rose was great, but ultimately it was great because it ended up not being Jax for Rose but rather "various deep bench" for Rose.*


    If the team was cap locked this might be different, or if they had a 3rd guy behind Paul and Danny who was on par with them (in terms of length, Hill can't go to the SF ever). But this team does not have too many wings of that caliber. They have 2 of them.

    *I will concede that another part of the issue was that moron Brown stubbornly chose to make some random point to Rose that was akin to setting himself on fire as a way to clean the clothes he was wearing, and they were counting on Workman who proceeded to get basically career-ending injured right after that.
    IDK. I consider Miller to be the most talented Pacer since they've been in the NBA. He's not the most well rounded. Granger might be that. But the extreme level of talent in terms of converting difficult shots when it counted matter more to me than anything I've seen JO or Granger do. Danny did wake me up a bit last year in the playoffs....when he did truly bring it. So there is some hope.

    But the comparisons with Jalen/Reggie and Paul/Danny are off. First, Reggie was a freak in terms of longevity. In the late 90's, Reggie was entering his mid 30's but still played like he was 25. Danny is not likely to have a career like that. Second,by the time Jalen came along, the team was getting old by the time their run was over and age was a factor in their limitations. Smits was already kicking the idea of retirement around. If you go back and look at his stats, he clearly was peaking in the mid 90's, not the late 90's when Jalen came along. ...so I think this backs up my point.

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  25. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    [I just hate that #2 = #LAST view. It makes people do desperate, panic moves as they chase after unrealistic goals. If Denver had that attitude they never would have won a Super Bowl with Elway...and neither would the Colts with Manning. How many blown chances to you give Peyton before you realize he's good, but not good enough? By the measure you put forth here you wouldn't have given him enough to get to the Super Bowl season.
    Manning and Elway? The equivalent to Jordan/Lebron compared to Danny? I guess everybody hates Danny because he is not Manning

  26. #66
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,626

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IDK. I consider Miller to be the most talented Pacer since they've been in the NBA. He's not the most well rounded. Granger might be that. But the extreme level of talent in terms of converting difficult shots when it counted matter more to me than anything I've seen JO or Granger do. Danny did wake me up a bit last year in the playoffs....when he did truly bring it. So there is some hope.

    But the comparisons with Jalen/Reggie and Paul/Danny are off. First, Reggie was a freak in terms of longevity. In the late 90's, Reggie was entering his mid 30's but still played like he was 25. Danny is not likely to have a career like that. Second,by the time Jalen came along, the team was getting old by the time their run was over and age was a factor in their limitations. Smits was already kicking the idea of retirement around. If you go back and look at his stats, he clearly was peaking in the mid 90's, not the late 90's when Jalen came along. ...so I think this backs up my point.
    Reggie was a nobody until 1994. Sure some people had heard about him but believe me in the NBA he was cast in the lot of Mitch Richmond, Steve Smith, etc. In fact each year there was an argument that you could say any of those players were better than the other.

    Then in 1994 Reggie had his series in the Garden, his spike moment. But the thing is that in 1994 Reggie's scoring went down, he shot less and focused more on defense. He tried to blend into the team game knowing that he didn't have to have big offensive games for us to win.

    That was seven years into Reggie's career.

    Does that sound familiar to anyone? Who else is in the second tier of NBA star players? Who else has tried to blend into a team game and knowing that he doesn't have to score big for us to win every game.

    Also who is in his 7th year?

    Danny just hasn't had the chance yet to make playoff noise. However who is to say that the United Center can't be his MSG. Danny hates the Bulls as much as Reggie hated the Knicks.

    Side by side the two of them are almost identical through 7 years

    http://bkref.com/tiny/plvc7


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  28. #67
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,390

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Call me crazy, but am I the only who wants to keep the defensive advantage of George @ SG spot and Granger @ the SF spot? We're the ONLY team with a SG/SF combo where EACH player is in the Top 7 for blocks and steals AND Top 10 in STL/TO ratio at their respective position.

  29. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:


  30. #68
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,626

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Call me crazy, but am I the only who wants to keep the defensive advantage of George @ SG spot and Granger @ the SF spot? We're the ONLY team with a SG/SF combo where EACH player is in the Top 7 for blocks and steals AND Top 10 in STL/TO ratio at their respective position.
    No your not crazy, in fact you are dead on accurate here.

    This is what I've been trying to say all season long to the Paul George posse. They compliment each other. Danny is far stronger and far more physical than Paul.

    Paul is much quicker and has far more athletic ability than Danny.

    Why people want to get rid of that is beyond me.

    They are a destitue man's version of Pippen and Jordan. No I'm not comparing them to Pippen and Jordan but you get my point.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  32. #69
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,858

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Call me crazy, but am I the only who wants to keep the defensive advantage of George @ SG spot and Granger @ the SF spot? We're the ONLY team with a SG/SF combo where EACH player is in the Top 7 for blocks and steals AND Top 10 in STL/TO ratio at their respective position.
    Honestly thats my favorite part of Granger/George combo.

  33. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reggie was a nobody until 1994. Sure some people had heard about him but believe me in the NBA he was cast in the lot of Mitch Richmond, Steve Smith, etc. In fact each year there was an argument that you could say any of those players were better than the other.

    Then in 1994 Reggie had his series in the Garden, his spike moment. But the thing is that in 1994 Reggie's scoring went down, he shot less and focused more on defense. He tried to blend into the team game knowing that he didn't have to have big offensive games for us to win.

    That was seven years into Reggie's career.

    Does that sound familiar to anyone? Who else is in the second tier of NBA star players? Who else has tried to blend into a team game and knowing that he doesn't have to score big for us to win every game.

    Also who is in his 7th year?

    Danny just hasn't had the chance yet to make playoff noise. However who is to say that the United Center can't be his MSG. Danny hates the Bulls as much as Reggie hated the Knicks.

    Side by side the two of them are almost identical through 7 years

    http://bkref.com/tiny/plvc7
    Yep I'm never going to see the Danny/Reggie comparison, Reggie is a future hall of famer, I don't think Danny would get a vote for that.

    And also just because Danny averages the same as Reggie at the same age doesn't mean that Danny is going to be Reggie.

    This is similar to the people that tried to tell me that DC could be compared to Nash because their numbers are similar in their 3rd year in the NBA.

  34. #71
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,390

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No your not crazy, in fact you are dead on accurate here.

    This is what I've been trying to say all season long to the Paul George posse. They compliment each other. Danny is far stronger and far more physical than Paul.

    Paul is much quicker and has far more athletic ability than Danny.

    Why people want to get rid of that is beyond me.

    They are a destitue man's version of Pippen and Jordan. No I'm not comparing them to Pippen and Jordan but you get my point.
    Thanks. I'm glad that I'm not crazy. I started comparing some additional numbers (RPG, FG%, PPG, etc) for the SF/SG position, and I have to agree with your statement about George/Granger complimenting each other REAL well. Then you have to stop to realize that George is only in his 2nd year. IMHO, our SG/SF combo is probably our MOST effective situation that we have. Why mess with it?

  35. #72

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say this for the sake of your own sanity.

    If this is the only goal for you then you need to either A.) become a bandwagon fan and just follow great teams/players around. B.) stop watching the NBA.

    Pray tell what team in the NBA right now is built to beat a team that got two of the top players of their generation and another great player to come on board?

    OKC? Maybe, we'll see.

    Chicago? Didn't work out so well last year.

    Remember this is Indiana, we are not going to be able to build a team of Dwight Howard, Daron Williams & Carmellow Anthony.

    What we are doing now is what we have to do, the way we will have to build.

    We may get lucky and get a star player this summer who decides he wants to win and doesn't care about the sun & sand and bright lights to come here as a free agent, but I doubt it.

    I think some of you guys forget how far we have come in just one short year. Remember just a year and a month ago we were one of the worst teams in the NBA with a coach who had no clue.

    Now, even with recent struggles, we are at the very least one of the good teams in the NBA (even if not elite).

    Also as to comparing the 90's teams to now. I think what people are forgetting is that this team did not come together overnight. We started drafting these players in the late 80's and got a few trades in the early 90's and kept on drafting.

    Seth is actually saying it, but I want to re-emphasize it.
    Now with our recent struggles, we are at the very least one of the good teams and maybe even elite. You are delusional. We are 18-12. Our last ten we have a very bad record. We get a win over one of the worst teams in the league at home and had to struggle to do it and all is right in paradise. We are way closer to mediocre than good. You say we should be happy to get to the conference finals and if we do, we are elite. Elite plays for championships not a treat after the game. They are competitors not pretenders. Vnzl is exactly right, we are not there yet. We should not just say we can't beat Miami because they have 2 of the best players on the planet, we should do everything we can to beat them. You say Bird is loyal to his players. I am sure he is but he is loyal the franchise first. He is also one of the greatest competitors of all time. If he can get a piece that will help us compete at the highest level and it takes Granger to do it, Granger will be out of here so fast his head will spin. There are franchises that compete to be the best and some are just happy to be in the league. Everyone knows who they are. They do not settle for mediocrity and will do whatever it takes to win. Sometimes they hit it and sometimes they miss. But at least they are taking a swing at it. I for one, want my franchise to go for it and if they do, I will be proud of them. But if they are afraid to take that swing, I will not support them. We absolutely need a star player, someone that people have got to see play and want to see play. Aren't you paying any attention to the attendance at the games. It is awful and they are practically giving the tickets away. Our city's corporate base could care less about supporting the team because they are not a team that anyone really takes serious and has that name everyone wants to be associated with. The Colts were exactly like this until Peyton came along and look what he did for the franchise. Until the Pacers get someone similar to that, nobody will care about Pacers basketball that much except a few of us diehards. I am sick and tired of hearing on this board how good DC is. You see in New York what a true point guard can do for a team. Again that franchise needed something, found it (probably with alot of luck) but they found it and look at the excitment it has generated. We have got to take that position seriously and upgrade it ASAP or this team is destined to be inconsistent, unable to score when the game is on the line and we will never know how truly good Granger or George or Hibbert can be. They will be somewhere else.

  36. #73
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,390

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep I'm never going to see the Danny/Reggie comparison, Reggie is a future hall of famer, I don't think Danny would get a vote for that.

    And also just because Danny averages the same as Reggie at the same age doesn't mean that Danny is going to be Reggie.

    This is similar to the people that tried to tell me that DC could be compared to Nash because their numbers are similar in their 3rd year in the NBA.
    Danny Granger's career isn't over yet....the man is only 28.

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:


  38. #74

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Time to tank? That's what would happen if Danny is traded. It is Larry waving the white flag.

    BTW we are having our best year since 2003-2004 when the Pacers went to the ECF. Just sayin...

  39. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  40. #75
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,858

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I dont think Danny Granger will be a Pacer at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep I'm never going to see the Danny/Reggie comparison, Reggie is a future hall of famer, I don't think Danny would get a vote for that.

    And also just because Danny averages the same as Reggie at the same age doesn't mean that Danny is going to be Reggie.

    This is similar to the people that tried to tell me that DC could be compared to Nash because their numbers are similar in their 3rd year in the NBA.
    How many people had Reggie becoming a HOF at this stage in his career?

    EDIT: I'm not saying Danny is going to be a HOF player, but that doesn't mean he will be a damn good player for years to come still, one that is very valuable to this team.

  41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. NBA Sunday: The New Danny Granger
    By 90'sNBARocked in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-10-2012, 12:07 PM
  2. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 11:35 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-03-2010, 10:31 AM
  4. Really long ESPN Article on Danny
    By idioteque in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 03:12 PM
  5. Danny Granger: Headed to Phoenix
    By GrangerRanger in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •