Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ahhhh Stephen Jackson, the gift that keeps on giving...

Next stop June 2015

Default Re: Ahhhh Stephen Jackson, the gift that keeps on giving...

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He won a title with Duncan in San Antonio in 2003.....
    Danny Ferry did too. Of course they also had David Robinson, Manu Ginobili, Bruce Bowen and Tony Parker who kind of helped out. The fact is, Jackson's shooting percentage on that team was the worst of the top 8 scorers and he shot a pretty lame 32% from three.

Anyway, enough with his SA legend...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Danny Ferry did too. Of course they also had David Robinson, Manu Ginobili, Bruce Bowen and Tony Parker who kind of helped out. The fact is, Jackson's shooting percentage on that team was the worst of the top 8 scorers and he shot a pretty lame 32% from three.

Anyway, enough with his SA legend...
    There are conflicting narratives on him, sure. Where some see a committed player who brings it, fires up teammates, and is liked by management (including Pacer management), others see the mercurial guy who falls in and out of love for his organization, and sometimes makes poor choices that ultimately get him shipped off to the next town.

But if you're in the latter camp, don't let it blind you. SJax started 58 regular season games and all of the postseason games on that Spurs team. He played a critical role in their championship and earned that ring. Danny Ferry hitched a ride. SJax was part of the engine.
    Last edited by danman; 02-18-2012 at 11:01 AM.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to danman For This Useful Post:

Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good Ole' Cap'n Jack. I did appreciate some of the things he did while playing for the BnG. However, like a true pirate captain, he is bailing off the sinking ship instead of trying to help keep it on course.
    Last edited by BrownBearCoffee; 02-18-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Well, that's your opinion. An NBA coach and former assists leader in the NBA thinks differently.

Due to such whimsical things as differences of opinions, we have things called contracts. Jackson gave his word to a contract and needs to fulfill it.

There would be total chaos if every dissatisfied bench warmer called for a trade.
    I do believe that Stephen Jackson is better than benchwarmer. Jackson is a good player, REGARDLESS of what you think of his charcter. Also, I don't recall contracts having a "STFU" clause when a player is not getting playing time.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/...tephen-jackson

If they're not going to use a player of his caliber, then they SHOULD trade him. Jackson is good enough that he can net the Bucks some descent to good players. At least he's not demanding to be traded to a specific team like some of the OTHER primadonnas in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBearCoffee View Post
    Good Ole' Cap'n Jack. I did appreciate some of the things he did while playing for the BnG. However, like a true pirate captain, he is bailing off the sinking ship instead of trying to help keep it on course.
    He can't help the sinking ship, if he's locked up in the brig. Not understanding your logic....

Enjoying the Show BrownBearCoffee's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    He can't help the sinking ship, if he's locked up in the brig. Not understanding your logic....
    No logic to understand. I actually like Jax, but as he gets older he seems to be getting delusional. He thinks much, much higher of himself than his coaches seem to. He also has no problem becoming a PR distraction, and that I do have a problem with.

If he were not named Stephen Jackson and were not a headcase, his game would be great in a four man wing rotation.with Hill, Granger, and George.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Also, I don't recall contracts having a "STFU" clause when a player is not getting playing time.
    You're right. Contracts probably don't have that clause. But wouldn't it be great if they did?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    this guy is a mixed bag. he has has positive qualities however, this part "He doesn’t appreciate the way that Skiles has handled this situation, describing his benching as disrespectful." is silly. i have seen jack act up like a 7 year old back when rick was here and throw a hissy fit if rick was subbing him when he wasn't ready to come out. incredibly disrespectful and unprofessional. now that he is getting some of his own medicine- he whines about it. cry me a river jacko.
    This is how I feel too. He's just not good with his emotions, for better and worse. When you need to get a team out of a lethargic, indifferent funk, he's the guy. But when you need a team to get back on defense and not worry about the last bad call, he's your worst nightmare.

One minute he's up on someone with tough D, the next he's jacking up a terrible jumper early in the shot clock, and then 2 trips later he's running a brilliant give and go.

Two BRAWL FACTS that I get really tired of seeing some Pacers fans keep getting wrong:

1) Going nuts on the court. Replays show that a Piston (I think Rip) took a cheap shot at him first from behind another player when the scrum began, meaning all the players bunching up at halfcourt while Ben Wallace went bezerk. AFTER that has his jersey pulled half off (from the scrum) and tries to get at RIP specifically because now he's PO'd. All Rip had to do was NOT be a d***, but as Ron's crotch found out the year before, that's not Rip's strong suit.

Not ideal, but not exactly over the top or unexpected from most people. He just wants to smack Rip back for taking a shot at him.

2) He went up to pull Ron out, then when some total a**hat Piston fan thought it would be cute to blast Ron in the face point blank with a full beer while Ron's hands were being held back, Jackson decided that it was time for one of the greatest moments of instant karma ever and drilled that d*** right in the face, which said to me "hey, maybe throwing a beer in someone's face isn't the best way to avoid negative outcomes".

Again not ideal, but when your favorite movie star does it in your favorite horrible Michael Bay film you cheer and hoot and talk about it weeks later as the coolest part of the film. Let's just have a little consistancy on this.

You had a bunch of thuggish, physical players still on the court late in the blow out (I mean Pistons) and a bunch of drunks in the stands still being served beer late in the 4th quarter of a blow out. (which is why there is a rule banning beer sales in the 4th qtr now). Neither group was happy and both were primed to lose their s***, which they both did. Jackson wasn't the least of the problems that night, but he was well down the list.

This is why John Saunders was on the Pacers side that night, before Czar Stern let ESPN know what was what. It's also why there wasn't a brawl when Mad Max went into the stands and punched a jerk fan, and why Conseco never has (or had that I can think of) fist fights between fans during games (Detroit, yep, and within a year of the brawl no less).

The knock on Jackson, besides yapping at refs too much and shot selection, should be that he has zero tolerance for discomfort with his job situation.

I like Jack, but if I ran into him I'd tell him he needed some thicker skin for some of this and should really pick his battles better. But I'd still like it if he punched the guy that threw a beer in my face.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-18-2012 at 02:35 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    He didn't get out of Indy soon enough.

Every time he talks about how professional he is, he sounds more unprofessional.

It really sucks if he gets rewarded for this subversion with a trade.
    I'm not as upset as you are, but I am in your camp on his ending up rewarded for complaining enough about his situations. He's not the only guy to do it, and it's not wrong to be frustrated with a situation, but there are better ways to handle it or avoid it.

Take shorter deals for example. Pick your teams better as a FA. Look for situations and methods where you will be more likely to have success and be happy.

I mean Josh is a great example of this. It would seem he was likely unhappy with the JOB situation, but he kept quiet. And it would seem that when his FA choices slotted up this year he saw the LA situation as one where the team would have more time for him, he'd be living out near the beach, and in total it would work for his career better.

Right or wrong in the end, the process he went though this year and the last few is a much better way to handle it.

It sucks being in a bad job environment, but you have to deal with it in a smarter way than Jackson does. Or maybe he is smart when he keeps getting moved to other teams. Just doesn't seem very cool to me.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OakMoses View Post
    Did anybody ever think the Stephen Jackson + Scott Skiles equation would result in a positive integer?
    Thanked for the word "integer."

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBearCoffee View Post
    However, like a true pirate captain, he is bailing off the sinking ship instead of trying to help keep it on course.
    To this point, I'll just say that the Bucks are not a sinking ship per se. They've played good without Jackson as well (when they beat the Knicks at MSG Jackson was not playing, for example). I just don't see SJax fitting in Milwaukee.

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by danman View Post
    There are conflicting narratives on him, sure. Where some see a committed player who brings it, fires up teammates, and is liked by management (including Pacer management), others see the mercurial guy who falls in and out of love for his organization, and sometimes makes poor choices that ultimately get him shipped off to the next town.

But if you're in the latter camp, don't let it blind you. SJax started 58 regular season games and all of the postseason games on that Spurs team. He played a critical role in their championship and earned that ring. Danny Ferry hitched a ride. SJax was part of the engine.
    Good point. I'm in the latter camp and while not blind I have a difficult time admitting the truth you speak. I guess I just did...

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

The knock on Jackson, besides yapping at refs too much and shot selection, should be that he has zero tolerance for discomfort with his job situation.
    His job situation is headed out of the NBA, so he better get used to some discomfort...or used to the bench. ...and I'm not sure if he'll be that welcome in China after Kenyon Martin made an a$$ out of himself.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can't believe I missed this thread.

I posted in the random thoughts thread, but Jax has actually been club promoting on nights between back-to-backs.

They talked about it over on the RealGM threads. It came about inbetween their PHO game and a Toronto game.

It might be better if I just relink the threads, because my God Stephen Jackson is an idiot and anyone who defends him as just being emotional needs to read it all because it picture is clear. HE'S A CANCER.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...f=21&t=1158846

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you can't play for Skiles, you can't play for Vogel or the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    If you can't play for Skiles, you can't play for Vogel or the Pacers.
    Not an issue. Indy fans turned on SJax even more than Tin. He could be averaging 22 ppg on a minimum contract and we would not trade Pendergraph for him. The bridge is burnt.

Just kick back with some popcorn.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to danman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Can't believe I missed this thread.

I posted in the random thoughts thread, but Jax has actually been club promoting on nights between back-to-backs.

They talked about it over on the RealGM threads. It came about inbetween their PHO game and a Toronto game.

It might be better if I just relink the threads, because my God Stephen Jackson is an idiot and anyone who defends him as just being emotional needs to read it all because it picture is clear. HE'S A CANCER.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...f=21&t=1158846
    How is he a cancer? His teammates never have any problems with him. In fact, even Tim Duncan stood up for him and said how great of a teammate he was.

This "HE'S A CANCER" stuff is pretty funny to me. Almost as funny as 280 posts on the Bucks board about grown men concerned about what another grown man is doing on his time away from work. I mean, we even have posters writing to city officials?

You pay Jackson to be a basketball player, but you don't play him. Then you get mad because he has another business venture? Obviously, his teammates are confused by Skiles' decision and they've come out publicly and said that Jackson should play, that they might have even won some of these games with him, like last night where they completely imploded against the Magic, or one of the other six straight games they've lost at home.

If the Bucks aren't going to play him, they might as well trade him. But now the problem is, they won't get anything of value in return because of how they've handled the situation.

Perhaps he is not getting playing time because something is happening behind the scenes, something the team does not want to get out?

I mean, I liked Jax, but I grew tired of his missing and a shot and sitting back and @#$%*&^G to the refs as his man ran to the other side for a easy lay-up.

As far as him partying, Im torn. It is TERRIBLE PR, but these guys have a weird schedule. If he is able to party all night, but sleep all day and still be up for a game [and play well] (the games typically being played between 5 and 8 PM) then more power to him.

So you're really going to defend a guy who has a basketball game in Milwaukee on a tuesday night, flies to toronto immediately after, checks into his hotel room, goes to a club party where he's the promoter, who then has to get up and play basketball that same very Wed night?

There's no arguing with someone who's going to dismiss the stupidity of a player who thinks it's a good idea to go out clubbing inbetween games on a back-to-back.

And I don't need the bullcrap about not playing. If you read the thread, you'll notice that this has been an on-going problem with Stephen. He did last year, and it's not like he knew he was going to be riding the pine when they scheduled this party.

It's pure stupidity and it reflects his prioritizes. Clearly basketball is lower on the list than club promoting, or he'd understand that professional sports take a toll on the body and you need proper rest.

We talk about scheduling losses, and seeing the team play with little energy because they're tired. What happens if they all decided to go out the night after and before games?

It's just stupid. There isn't another word for it.

Teammates that put clubbing above basketball is horrible for team chemistry. There's no way around it.

So you're really going to defend a guy who has a basketball game in Milwaukee on a tuesday night, flies to toronto immediately after, checks into his hotel room, goes to a club party where he's the promoter, who then has to get up and play basketball that same very Wed night?

Surely he could stay in Milwaukee and handle whatever needs to be handled at his club via his cell phone during a team meeting or something....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

No. He's the party host. Him being there is part of the $$.

If you go through the thread, they cite multiple examples while he's playing in Mil, and some from years past. He clearly schedules these parties around his NBA travel schedule. When they play in MIA he holds an event there, and so forth.
    Last edited by Since86; 02-21-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post

But now the problem is, they won't get anything of value in return because of how they've handled the situation.

I guess they didn't learn anything from watching the Tinsley episode.

No. He's the party host. Him being there is part of the $$.

If you go through the thread, they cite multiple examples while he's playing in Mil, and some from years past. He clearly schedules these parties around his NBA travel schedule. When they play in MIA he holds an event there, and so forth.
    Apparently I should've used green internet ink...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I do not want to speak for Bball, but I think he was using humor (hence the make a call from a team meeting)