View Poll Results: Who is/was the Pacers greatest slam-dunk artist?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paul George

13 29.55%
  • Jonathan Bender

1 2.27%
  • Kenny Williams

3 6.82%
  • Terrence Stansbury

4 9.09%
  • Darnell Hillman

14 31.82%
  • Fred Jones (RamBo_Lamar)

8 18.18%
  • Not Troy Murphy. (Brad8888)

1 2.27%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greatest Pacer Slam-Dunk Artist?

Default Re: Greatest Pacer Slam-Dunk Artist?

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Decent dunks, but none stand up over time, in my opinion. In fact, I'd say his winning performance would be a first round elimination in the modern-day dunk contest.
    You totally forget there were rules to the contest in those days, no outside help, one attempt only, a make is important (no score on a miss) 5 dunks, (one from below, one from each corner and two from the "sides" above the key.

And you want to compare that with today? where "I missed 15 times but they gave it to me anyway" mini-me win the contest?

Freak show is a better word.

If you see where he is with his head (and no don't count his fro) and you will see he jumps as high as today, if not higher, there is no way to compare plainly, but I am pretty sure that someone who gave many a great player a defeat (he had to actually dunk several pre-contest rounds, they all did, it was not "invitation" like today) who all were interested in a large sum of money for those days, is better then you make it to be. I personally think you underestimate the achievement horribly.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    Darnell Hillman....hands down!
    What? No votes for McRoberts?

So, glad you put Kenny Williams in this poll. Still have his jersey. He was an awful player but the man could jump forever. By far the worst player on the list, but man was amazing to watch throw it down. Always made me wish for more garbage time at the end of games. He was electric.

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    I don't want to disrespect Freddie by calling him a fat dude with poor athleticism and good luck.
    Poor athleticism and good luck? Not sure about that. If you discussed it in your video blogs then I missed it I guess.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

James White

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ApNeDtRiEeW For This Useful Post:

Who is/was the Pacers greatest slam-dunk artist?
    Based on games or practice? Bender was a 5 time practice All Star....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    Here's Darnell Hillman's winning performance from the bizarre 1977 NBA Dunk Contest. It begins at about 6:42:

Decent dunks, but none stand up over time, in my opinion. In fact, I'd say his winning performance would be a first round elimination in the modern-day dunk contest.
    Oh yeh, I can see why you guys would say that "Dr. Dunk" deserves this title more than George, Stansbury, Fred Jones, Dahntay Jones, McRoberts, and Jamaal Tinsley. Those dunks were phenomenal. Way ahead of their time.

Sorry, didn't mean to be too much of a douche there, but Stansbury invented the statue-of-liberty 360, as well as other dunks. Fred Jones performed a bad-lob reaching 360, the likes of which had never been seen. If George does something that we've never seen before, that puts him in that same category. But Darnell Hillman's most impressive dunks were the last two: the double-clutch reverse dunks. I've seen Paul George do that in practice.

I'd give him fourth best, below Paul, Stansbury, McRoberts, and Fred Jones. Just my opinion, though.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

This is part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4 about 7:16 minutes in they are talking about Hillman

part 5 Talks more about the Indiana Pacers

part 6

ENJOY!

This is a series of Videos taken from the HBO Documentary "Long Shots: The Life and Times of the American Basketball Association"

The hour-long documentary features rarely seen ABA team films, home videos, and footage from local television stations. The feature also contains numerous interviews with ABA players, coaches, and personnel.

Among the many ABA movers and shakers interviewed in the HBO documentary are Julius Erving, George Gervin, Larry Brown, Hubie Brown, Louis Dampier, Artis Gilmore, Connie Hawkins, Dave DeBusschere, Dan Issel, Bob Costas, Lloyd "Pinky" Gardner (Colonels trainer), and George McGinnis. There is even an interview with Red Auerbach of the Boston Celtics, who typically demeans the ABA while puffing on his trademark cigar.

The documentary highlights the contributions the ABA made to the NBA, including the three-point field goal and the All-Star Game slam dunk contest. The feature is filled with never-before-seen ABA film of the Floridians Ballgirls, the 1975 All-Star game in San Antonio, Darnell Hillman's enormous and unequaled afro, the 1976 ABA All-Star game slam dunk contest (new angles!), and the New York Nets' wild comeback against the Denver Nuggets in Game 6 of the 1976 ABA Finals.

If you want to see some NBA Hall-of-Famers playing in ABA arenas (using the ABA's "beach ball"!) look no further: the documentary has footage of Lew Alcindor and the Milwaukee Bucks playing the Kentucky Colonels (at Freedom Hall), Wes Unseld and the Baltimore Bullets playing the Floridians (at Miami Beach Convention Hall), and Willis Reed of the New York Knicks playing the Utah Stars (at the Salt Palace). Finally, if you're a fan of Dr. J you're in for a treat. HBO unearthed some rare and unusual clips of Dr. J in the ABA (both with the Squires and the Nets!).
    Last edited by Kemo; 02-17-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Would you believe me if I told the one of the best in game dunks I've ever seen done by a Pacer was by Derrick Mckey?

Kenny Williams is such a sad story, this guy had the athletic talent to be Scottie Pippen. He had the brain power to be David Harrison.

I voted for Dr. Dunk because he certainly was an originator. However I think if I had to vote for the second best dunker I probably would go with Josh McRoberts. Paul is a fine dunker but I admit to liking more power in my dunks and Paul is more smooth. Nothing wrong with that it's just a personal style preferance.

As for those who are saying Bender, how would we know? What sample size do we have here?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1, this thread is the first time I've ever seen someone call Fred Jones not athletic. That's crazy.

2, I thought I was the only one who remembered Kenny Williams.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Stansbury, easily. Loved Darnell, but there were a lot of Dr. Dunks running around in the 70's.

I'll say this though -- his afro was spectacular. In fact, I recall an old story about Darnell teaching Dr. J about how to properly do his.
    Last edited by danman; 02-18-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post

This is part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4 about 7:16 minutes in they are talking about Hillman

part 5 Talks more about the Indiana Pacers

part 6
    *SNIP*
    I have literally spent years looking for this on Youtube and found it there yesterday about an hour before you posted this.

For anyone who has NEVER seen the documentary, this is a must-see. HBO really did a great job with it.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca