Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Chicken Soup for the soul

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Chicken Soup for the soul

Peck, thank you for doing these Odd Thoughts for each game. They are great reads and I enjoy the perspective they provide. Gives me something to look forward to after a loss when I can't bring myself to read what the big sites are saying. After a win... any win, they are even more enjoyable.

Thanks!

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to maragin For This Useful Post:

I think Hansbrough will go down as one of Bird's worst draft selections. Did this guy actually play on the same team with Ty Lawson? Isn't his guy a 4 time All American? How is he so fundamentally inept? He doesn't hit open shots very well, gets lost on defense, does not box out, does not rebound at a high rate for someone with his "motor".

Lets not confuse effort with accomplishment....
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uhhh...what other channel do you think that this Divorce Court travesty show would be televised?
    Uh.... TruTv?

I didn't care for the Reggie Bush chant, Heard Roy didn't want Kris's personal life brought into the game earlier in the season...
    It is pretty close to the line (which is why I asked not to submit Kardashian-related chants for either game, because they CAN easily go over that line, plus I didn't want to read line after line of Kardashian-related crap. Truth be told, he hope he takes her and her attention-grubing family to the cleaners! ), but compared to what he's probably hearing in other cities, its nothing. At the same time, he made the choice to have his personal life televised, at which point its not really personal anymore, is it?
    Last edited by Sandman21; 02-17-2012 at 02:26 PM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This would be FAR more entertaining than ANYTHING ever shown on E!
    Joel McHale is shaking his handsome, handsome head at you right now.

Personally, I was disappointed by the Reggie Bush chant. Like Peck, I thought it was kind of classless. Roy specifically asked us not to chant about players' love lives, divorces, etc. I don't remember him saying anything about it being because they'd go off on us with a flurry of points. Just sayin...

I don't think it had anything to do with our chant (which was a repeat from the earlier Nets game), but Humphries played like a wild man last night - probably the best game he's had this season anyway. Maybe he remembered the chant from before. I dunno. Anyway, last night he certainly had the last laugh.
    Last edited by IndyHoya; 02-17-2012 at 04:20 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyHoya For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IndyHoya View Post
    Personally, I was disappointed by the Reggie Bush chant. Like Peck, I thought it was kind of classless. Roy specifically asked us not to chant about players' love lives, divorces, etc. I don't remember him saying anything about it being because they'd go off on us with a flurry of points. Just sayin...

I don't think it had anything to do with our chant (which was a repeat from the earlier Nets game), but Humphries played like a wild man last night - probably the best game he's had this season anyway. Maybe he remembered the chant from before. I dunno. Anyway, last night he certainly had the last laugh.
    I'm pretty sure the Pacers did.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think it had anything to do with our chant (which was a repeat from the earlier Nets game), but Humphries played like a wild man last night - probably the best game he's had this season anyway. Maybe he remembered the chant from before. I dunno. Anyway, last night he had the last laugh.
    He said not to anger Kobe from what I remember. Oh well, Pa Pa Pacers it is. If we can't go after a guy who SIGNED UP and was paid to have his personal life aired, then I truly don't get it.
    Last edited by BPump33; 02-17-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Pacers did.
    Yeah but he is the one that used to date Kim. I take dating Kim and making money for it over a win againts the Pacers

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Yeah but he is the one that used to date Kim.
    Haha, good point.

I guess my point is that if he was trying to keep his private life private and got divorced, then I'd understand how it was crossing the line. That's not the case at all, here. He was married to a Kardashian (well, THE Kardashian) and his whole life was on television. He knew that going in, it was his choice. Not only did he know that, but he was paid to be on the show. So, he gets to benefit from putting his personal business out there, but we can't heckle him over it? I guess I don't get it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    I'm glad we chanted "Reggie Bush", and we'd do it again. He knew what he was getting into when he began to date that chick in terms of publicity and ridicule. Dude was not going to get any mercy from us.
    So, you're saying that if you had the chance you would not attempt to hit on Kardashian just because in case of someone mocking you?

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    So, you're saying that if you had the chance you would not attempt to hit on Kardashian just because in case of someone mocking you?
    In most of our cases it would be Kardashian doing the mocking.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

It's not that big a thing to me, really. Humphries was an idiot to get involved with the Kardashians. Same with Lamar Odom. And I can't say I feel all that badly about them getting heckled. There certainly is a "they brought it on themselves" aspect to it. No denying that.

But I didn't understand Roy to be simply saying "Don't heckle Kobe about his love life, he'll go off on us". I understood him to say, don't get into players' love lives, period. My guess is he was sort of implying that the NBA players are a group that have a lot of commonalities. They fraternize, etc. It's one thing to dump on Rose about his SAT tests, or Varajao about his hair. But getting into how your wife is cuckholding you or tallying up the guys she used to do it with is kind of close to the bone.

Area 55 is seen by the NBA opposition as Roy's thing and when we get too personal, the recipients take it personally and see Roy (unfairly, but somewhat cogently) as the instigator or countenancer of it all. Roy's a nice and very friendly guy and I don't see him as wanting us to make him a lot of deep personal enemies.

That said, maybe I'm wrong. I'm no mind-reader. I don't have an inside track on Roy's thinking. It's just my guess about what he was thinking when he told us to lay off players' love lives. That was my take on it anyway.
    Last edited by IndyHoya; 02-17-2012 at 05:32 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyHoya For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    In most of our cases it would be Kardashian doing the mocking.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    That's why some of us here were calling to make a run at him over David West in the offseason. Ignoring the off-court reality stuff....Humphries is a more athletic version of Foster that does the dirty work ( which is good ) that also thinks that he has an offensive game ( which is bad ). I would still love to have him on the roster....but we don't have the minutes to play him unless Hansbrough is pushed further down into the rotation....or traded.
    the question is how much is this guy worth. right now he's makind $8M. is he worth that same $8-10M worth of cap space next season? i was one of those guys that liked him, but not at that kind of price.

Sports Logo

But I didn't understand Roy to be simply saying "Don't heckle Kobe about his love life, he'll go off on us". I understood him to say, don't get into players' love lives, period. My guess is he was sort of implying that the NBA players are a group that have a lot of commonalities. They fraternize, etc. It's one thing to dump on Rose about his SAT tests, or Varajao about his hair. But getting into how your wife is cuckholding you or tallying up the guys she used to do it with is kind of close to the bone.

Area 55 is seen by the NBA opposition as Roy's thing and when we get too personal, the recipients take it personally and see Roy (unfairly, but somewhat cogently) as the instigator or countenancer of it all. Roy's a nice and very friendly guy and I don't see him as wanting us to make him a lot of deep personal enemies.

That said, maybe I'm wrong. I'm no mind-reader. I don't have an inside track on Roy's thinking. It's just my guess about what he was thinking when he told us to lay off players' love lives. That was my take on it anyway.
    This x1000000

Joe,

I agree with you 99.9% of the time that personal lives should stay personal. But when KH sold his marriage and lifestyle to E! (and apparently his divorce), I believe he lost that privacy and is subject to public opinion/ridicule. We can just agree to disagree and I'm sorry that you found it classless.

I'm only still harping on this because I feel responsible for it. I tweeted at least two months ago that I couldn't wait to chant "Reggie, Reggie" at KH and I received all kind of positive responses. I thought he was fair game.

And I'm sure if you ask Roy he would tell us not to get too personal, but I was no more than 5 feet from him when he said, "Please don't bring up a certain player and his divorce. I don't want him to go off." Kobe had been in the news that week because of his divorce.
    Last edited by BPump33; 02-17-2012 at 05:59 PM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I think that the discussion between BPump33 and IndyHoya is an evidence of class in itself

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

I think that the discussion between BPump33 and IndyHoya is an evidence of class in itself
    I have all the respect in the world for Joe and Roy for that matter. Humphries....not so much.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Pump knows what I think of him.

Sometimes being in Area 55 is surreal.

We're two very, very good friends with college degrees and perfect Pacers attendance records arguing here back and forth about the relative merits of a free-throw chant involving a guy dumb enough to get involved on reality TV with Kim Kardasian. Pump's right about censoring Area 55er to the point of toothlessness. We can't let that happen.

Like Peck said in his article, reasonable minds can differ about line-drawing.

BTW, last season I was all for chanting to Dwight Howard about his "Baby Mama"
    Last edited by IndyHoya; 02-17-2012 at 06:48 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyHoya For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Your reasoning for making that move, doesn't make any sense though. Changing our scheme, offense, and lineups in order to get Tyler Hansbrough more jump shots might just be the single worst idea that has ever been proposed on this board.
    Its not changing the offense to get him more jump shots as he's shooting them already. Its getting him a partner who can hit him in rhythm on those shots he's taking anyway and getting him the ball in spots where he's more conformable. DC is major reason why Tyler shot 49.9% as a starter. For someone who wants to act like they know this much about basketball one would think that would be crystal clear to you. But I guess not, also the benefits of moving DC to the second unit go deeper than his play with Tyler.

Mood

Where the **** did I say that?

I personally don't find her that attractive. She's pretty, but she's not some goddess that people make her out to be. And the way she presents herself in terms of her attitude, intelligence, and personality on that show makes her even less appealing. I'd hit it, but then quit it. I'd never date a bimbo like that, let alone sign-off on TV cameras following me and said bimbo around everyday.

Man, we're getting way off topic...............so how about those Pacers?

Sports Logo

Where the **** did I say that?

I personally don't find her that attractive. She's pretty, but she's not some goddess that people make her out to be. And the way she presents herself in terms of her attitude, intelligence, and personality on that show makes her even less appealing. I'd hit it, but then quit it. I'd never date a bimbo like that, let alone sign-off on TV cameras following me and said bimbo around everyday.

Man, we're getting way off topic...............so how about those Pacers?
    You didn't say that per se but I have a feeling that a lot of the hate towards Hump revolves around him managing to "hit" Kim while she'd probably ignore most of us. It's just a general feeling I have when people mock someone's love life.

That said, I agree with your second paragraph and I also agree that we have strayed way off-topic. It's just that I personally wouldn't mention someone's love life to put him off. But that's just my opinion. Other people are allowed to think differently

You didn't say that per se but I have a feeling that a lot of the hate towards Hump revolves around him managing to "hit" Kim while she'd probably ignore most of us. It's just a general feeling I have when people mock someone's love life.
    I can speak for Day-V here because I know his response. His hate for Humphries is that he's a Net and not on the Pacers. Period.

Hell, the one time I saw that show it was because I was flipping through and saw our boy DG on there. He's pretty good friends with Humphries, apparently.

And I know, Vnzla, if DG spent more time working on game and less time on reality TV he'd be as good as Monta Ellis. :-)
    Last edited by BPump33; 02-17-2012 at 07:45 PM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

I personally don't find her that attractive. She's pretty, but she's not some goddess that people make her out to be. And the way she presents herself in terms of her attitude, intelligence, and personality on that show makes her even less appealing.
    This. The celeb-worship is mind-boggling. In the real world, there are plenty of non-celebrity women who look as least as (emphasizing here the at least as) good as Kim K, and in many cases they're also not braindead TV goofs. And the most effective way to have them ignore or mock you is to be sure that they will. Go check out any somewhat fancy or ritzy restaurant where couples tend to go for big nights out: you'll see that we live in a world where people don't pair up according to some preordained formula of attractiveness and social prestige. You'll see a lot of couplings that should be impossible under a system where 10's only date 10's, 8s only 8's, whatever. All that "out of their league" ********. People date people. It's easy to buy into whatever weird hierarchical rankings though, because when that person you thought was too good for you marries someone else, you don't have to feel bad about never initiating anything with him/her, or for not acting with the sort of conviction that might have made things play out differently.

Just something that bugs me, how people idolize a given activity or person until they are convinced that it's so impossible that they don't need to bother. They class themselves out. I can't remember the last time one of my buddies sighed over a beer and complained that he couldn't do something he literally wasn't capable of (like going out and becoming an NBA star after years and years of smoking weed and scarfing potato chips). It's always stuff they obviously could do, but it's important that they convince themselves they can't. . . for whatever reason.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Peck, more information from the Nets bench, I love that type of stuff. Can you pick up on whether they like playing for Avery.

I didn't get a feel for whether they cared about playing for Avery or not but I can tell you one thing.

They didn't really care that they lost.

This is one of the reasons why I am almost never for the "let's tank to get better theory".

Losing breeds losing IMO and last night I can tell you just from watching them up close that the only person who seemed to even care when the Pacers took a lead was MarShon Brooks.

The rest of them set there pretty unfazed one way or the other. I know you can't always tell what a person is thinking but the body language was pretty poor IMO, like they fully expected this.

I can also tell you that Brook Lopez was very disgusted with the people of Indiana. In all honesty it was pretty embarrassing.

For one of the time out games they brought out two teen age to early 20's (tops) kids and had them guess Michael Jackson songs. Early on they didn't even try and guess any of the songs and then when they played "beat it" the male participant yelled "Thriller". The problem was that the hostess said he was correct and moved on, only to be told by someone near by that he was wrong so she had to go back and have the girl guess. Someone right next to her yelled "Beat it" which she repeated sheepishly and won.

Brook looked right at me and shook his head in disgust. I apologized on behalf of all of Indiana and said to forgive us for we are hillbillies here.

Kurt Humphries was the center of attention from the crowd. Between people yelling at him for his TV appearance and women who kept coming up trying to get their picture with him it was a constant flow of people. It had to be very distractive for him.

I stopped counting DeShawn Stevenson’s tattoo’s at 75.

P.J. Carlisimo does the majority of the talking to the players when they come to the bench and even talks a lot in the huddles.

Avery yells at them to constantly keep their arms up on defense. Did I mention MarShon Brooks doesn't care for Danny Granger?

Popeye Jones could still take flight if an updraft caught his ears. Of course with age it would have to be a strong wind as Popeye has not stayed in game shape.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post: