Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Chicken Soup for the soul

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Chicken Soup for the soul

Peck, more information from the Nets bench, I love that type of stuff. Can you pick up on whether they like playing for Avery.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Like I said earlier, "Reggie Bush" is downright tame. I wonder what Farmar and Sheldon think of Knicks, Bulls, and ESPECIALLY Philly fans. Their stuff is probably 10x worse and definitely over the line of what Area55 as a whole would probably consider uncomfortable.

Which reminds me, somehow some of us got to mocking Twilight during halftime last night. Time to find out if any NBA players have made the mistake of saying they like that crap.
    Last edited by Sandman21; 02-17-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A couple of things. First:

In the game I was watching, DC was "defending" DWill in the first quarter. I even remember commenting that PG and DC should be switched on defense.
    My dog unplugged my dtv box early in the first. I actually thought it was dumb to start DC, knowing what would happen. PG still guarded him the vast majority of the game. It wasn't saved for the end, which was the point I was making.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Last edited by spazzxb; 02-17-2012 at 10:46 AM.

I think you are confusing someone pointing out juvenile and classless behavior with getting under someone's skin. One can do the first without the other happening, trust me I know from working with middle schoolers. I have never talked with the guy, but I think she had more to do with the set up and then proceeded to perform a great hatchet job on him. Of course why any guy would want to be with her after the number of guys she has been with is beyond me.

I guess I would prefer we stayed as classy as fans as we want our players to be. Might not that behavior cause some not to come back to see a game?

Wish I could get those seats for the Pacers down here in March!

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    Peck,

Humphries went 0-4 (3-7 total) from the FT line the last time we played them when using the "Reggie Bush" chant. We were definitely going to use it again. Also, he blew a kiss in the air and then pointed at us when he finally made a FT. I'm sure it does bother him, but like Day-V said he knew what he was getting into when he let E! follow his every move around with a camera. He was also paid pretty handsomely for that "show" I would imagine.

There are definitely lines that we should not cross, but IN MY OPINION this was not one of them. However, I told JonnyB83 on the way out of the Fieldhouse that I would love to have him on our team. Hell, he'd be one of my favorite Pacers. He has a Tyler level of enthusiasm about him, but also has the skill to go with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Congrats to AREA 55 you're under their skin..... As others have pointed out you can't go on a reality show designed to create controversy, fake drama, to get people to tune in and get paid for it without being willing to take the heat.

Kris Humphries signed on to be in the lime light and he succeeded.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    IIRC, humphries had most of his points early. evidently the west and hansbrough didn't read the scouting report that humphries has only one hand. once they started crowding his right hand, things settled down.

the reason he doesn't get more attention is offensively, he is only a jump shooter with one hand. and defensively, offensively dwest had a good game against him. ie he doesn't appear to be a top notch defender. humphries is a better version of troy murphy, without the 3 pt shooting. better defender, but not a good defender.

it seems h is just a bad matchup for the current, undersized, pacer PF. so he is one of those guys that looks good against the pacers. better than his actual value. that said, he would still be a nice addition to the frontcourt rotation. pacers could use some size.
    If i recall Hump only signed a one year deal with NJ. So he could be had. i'd take him over Hansbrough any day.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    I think you are confusing someone pointing out juvenile and classless behavior with getting under someone's skin. One can do the first without the other happening, trust me I know from working with middle schoolers. I have never talked with the guy, but I think she had more to do with the set up and then proceeded to perform a great hatchet job on him. Of course why any guy would want to be with her after the number of guys she has been with is beyond me.

I guess I would prefer we stayed as classy as fans as we want our players to be. Might not that behavior cause some not to come back to see a game?

Wish I could get those seats for the Pacers down here in March!

He signed off to be on the show. He got paid to be on the show. It was his choice to be on the show. This isn't making fun of someone for their mom hooking up with a teammate or the classless "break your leg" chant from last year. This is getting on a guy for signing up for a reality show and choosing to live his life even more in the public eye. If he didn't want the criticism, he shouldn't have signed up for the show. He was fine cashing the checks, so he should be fine with the fallout. Just my two cents.

Edit: But in all honesty, it really doesn't matter now. NJ doesn't come back so what's done is done. We can't make everyone happy.
    Last edited by BPump33; 02-17-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Eh, wha? I think you're confused.
    Nope, you just ignored the point I was making to harp on a slight inaccuracy.

Last edited by spazzxb; 02-17-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post

Danny could have taken a week off and let his ankle heal 100%. No, that is just not who he is. This team hasn't quit, and at least for last night the reason was that Danny wouldn't let them quit.
    Danny was moving around pretty good for a guy just coming back after missing 2 games because of sprained ankle wasn't he.

I kid... I kid. My theory was probably wrong. Sorry Danny.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Asher99 View Post
    DC with the second unit would be better for everyone! He and Tyler seem to play very well together especially setting up Tyler in rhythm on his FT area jumpers. DC, Tyler and Hill could be a force off the bench with DC hitting Tyler or a kicking it out for a Hill 3 or use his speed to get to the cup.
    DC seems like he'd make a better player off the bench. He's a score-first point guard, who isn't big enough or smart enough to defend nearly all of the starting NBA point guards. I could see him being very effective as a quick, change-of-pace scorer off the bench. To make a very lazy comparison, he's much more comparable to Jason Terry than he is to Jason Kidd.

Your reasoning for making that move, doesn't make any sense though. Changing our scheme, offense, and lineups in order to get Tyler Hansbrough more jump shots might just be the single worst idea that has ever been proposed on this board.

For a guy known for the effectiveness of his mid-range jumper, he's stunningly ineffective.

In his career, he's 265-745 on jump shots. So we're going to make a pretty huge change in order to get a guy hitting jumpers at a .356 clip more attempts? What is the thought process behind that? This season he's only 45-147 for a miserable .306 percentage.

If you consider the "mid-range" as anything outside of 10 feet. He's a career .383 mid-range shooter. This season he's just a .308 shooter.

Should we really make a huge adjustment in order to focus our offense around this kind of ineffectiveness?

This season:

At the rim he's shooting .579
    From 3-9 feet he's shooting .333
    From 10-15 feet he's shooting .300
    From 16 feet and out he's shooting .311

His career numbers:

At the rim he's shooting .551
    From 3-9 feet he's shooting .358
    From 10-15 feet he's shooting .353
    From 16 feet and out he's shooting .391

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Nope, you just ignored the point I was making to harp on a slight inaccuracy.

Yeah he definitely guarded him most of the game last night. That's not how they usually use him though.

I'm starting to think AJ or Lance should get more playing time versus certain teams so we can use Paul on the other teams best players more often. Darren's defense has disappeared lately.

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    Honestly Ken I would think the "and one motherf@#%$%" you constantly see from players would have a more of an impact. Any who if Humphries is willing to put his divorce prodeedings on tv how more open can you get.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_16...ivorce-report/

February 8, 2012 12:55 PM PrintText Kris Humphries wants to televise divorce: Report

(Credit: CBS/AP) (CBS) We saw them fall in love, but will we get to watch them undergo a bitter divorce?

Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries split last Ocotber after an over-the-top televised wedding held 72 days earlier. But now sources say Humphries and his attorney, Lee Hutton, want to televise the divorce trial.

An insider tells TMZ they want to "expose the M.O. of reality TV" by trying to prove that Kardashian didn't want to stay together and was going through with the ceremony to get ratings for her E! reality show.

But Kardashian wants none of it. A source told RadarOnline.com the TV star's lawyer, Laura Wasser, is formally petitioning for a private mediator - without a camera in sight.

"Kim doesn't want a long drawn out trial," an insider told the website. "She wants the mediation to be private, confidential, and legally binding. She and Kris have no assets together and kept separate bank accounts, so this is a fairly routine divorce proceeding. Kim just wants this over and done with."

Kardashian filed for divorce, citing "irreconcilable differences." Humphries, though, has called fraud and wants to annul the marriage.
    Last edited by RWB; 02-17-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    . . . Darren's defense has disappeared lately.
    darren lacks size. against bigger guys like dwill, he just isn't able to control them. there are just some guys he cannot defend.

fwiw, i think the condensed season hurts guys like darren and tyler. undersized guys that depend on a high motor. with everybody getting tired and therefore slower, their lack of size is more of a handicap than during a normal season.

i wonder if in the playoffs that will change or not? more rest = lets the quickness back.

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_16...ivorce-report/

February 8, 2012 12:55 PM PrintText Kris Humphries wants to televise divorce: Report

(Credit: CBS/AP) (CBS) We saw them fall in love, but will we get to watch them undergo a bitter divorce?

Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries split last Ocotber after an over-the-top televised wedding held 72 days earlier. But now sources say Humphries and his attorney, Lee Hutton, want to televise the divorce trial.
    This would be FAR more entertaining than ANYTHING ever shown on E!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

I'd give Foster an A. I think his hustle and energy on both ends of the floor in the 2nd quarter shook this team out of its slumber. From that point on, we brought the effort we had been missing the past few games.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ratking For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    darren lacks size. against bigger guys like dwill, he just isn't able to control them. there are just some guys he cannot defend.

fwiw, i think the condensed season hurts guys like darren and tyler. undersized guys that depend on a high motor. with everybody getting tired and therefore slower, their lack of size is more of a handicap than during a normal season.

i wonder if in the playoffs that will change or not? more rest = lets the quickness back.

I'm not sure it's just his size though. It looks like at times he's not putting in much effort to get around screens and stay in front of his man. Size is a major factor and will be a disadvantage against nearly every player, but I'm not seeing him try too hard.

I will say he was much better in the second half yesterday before he got benched.

I loves me some Area 55.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    BTW, the entire bench calls Kris Humphries ďHulkĒ. Even Avery Johnson calls him that.

Let me say that Kris Humphries is a very under rated power forward. I have no idea why this guy does not get more attention really in the NBA because he is athletic, strong and quick. He basically destroyed David West tonight and while he didnít quite abuse Tyler he didnít let Tyler get anything going either.

I donít watch any of the non-scripted TV shows so I can honestly tell you I know nothing about whatever show it was he appeared on but itís just too bad that this is what he is known for and not for being a very good power forward. I honestly wish he was our power forward.
    That's why some of us here were calling to make a run at him over David West in the offseason. Ignoring the off-court reality stuff....Humphries is a more athletic version of Foster that does the dirty work ( which is good ) that also thinks that he has an offensive game ( which is bad ). I would still love to have him on the roster....but we don't have the minutes to play him unless Hansbrough is pushed further down into the rotation....or traded.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I didn't care for the Reggie Bush chant, Heard Roy didn't want Kris's personal life brought into the game earlier in the season...

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dgreenwell3 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This would be FAR more entertaining than ANYTHING ever shown on E!
    Uhhh...what other channel do you think that this Divorce Court travesty show would be televised?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dgreenwell3 View Post
    I didn't care for the Reggie Bush chant, Heard Roy didn't want Kris's personal life brought into the game earlier in the season...
    Roy told us not to anger Kobe with divorce stuff, he didn't say anything about KDash as far as I know.

It didn't matter though, because LA doesn't come here.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

I think AREA 55 should be limited to low level booing and golf clapping only please.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Kris Humphries is great offensively... so long as you let him go right along the baseline from the right side on a faceup.

Tyler and David finally figured out (much later than I would have liked) that things change considerably once you force him to go left.

DC, this is really just an awful matchup for him. It's not even his fault on defense. People were saying that when Lance came in, he stopped the bleeding. That wasn't quite true, they just went away from Deron and started picking on DC on defense again. It was very clear that their goal was to exploit him and West defensively. I don't know that it's fair to go "AJ should start over DC" after this game. This was going to be a bad game for DC, everyone knew it before the game started, and for the most part..it's not even DC's fault.

AJ Price. This was the average game for AJ that I saw at Uconn for two years last night. (With upgraded defense, the one area he's very clearly improved at since college) He was running the team, picking his spots to try and score on offense (and hit some pretty big shots), making really good entry passes. He's not the most talented guy in the world. But he's also probably the smartest basketball player on the roster - and that can make up for a lot of shortcomings.

And I'd like to point out again, that when you put him on the court with people who are able to score, he runs an offense instead of just trying to get some points for us. He also just doesn't get enough credit for his defense. He's been anywhere from good to exceptional defensively this entire season.

I think Lance got to play so little, because the unit of AJ, Dahntay, Granger, Hans, Foster played really well together this game, and we needed a win. Vogel just wasn't going to take chances with that. I didn't see Lance do anything to warrant being "benched" he just happened to not be part of the group that got us back in the game.

Tyler..Tyler needs to really work on his midrange shot. He plays his best when that's falling, and it's really not falling. His midrange, when hitting, allows him to get open shots down low, because opposing power forwards come out and guard him. He doesn't have too many post moves, so he needs to get consistent with that shot.

That said, he's gotten a lot better at passing from the high post to the low post. He needs to learn to pass it back out when he's about to get double teamed, but I like seeing that improvement from him. And it's been a consistent improvement.

West, I've given him some crap lately. And I think it's well deserved. He looked better last night, but I need to see some better defensive effort more energy (better rebounding...). He made Mr. Kardashian look like Blake Griffin at times last night. It's nice to see his offense is going well, but the other stuff is more important.

Roy, I thought Roy did some really good things last night that'll hopefully get him back on track. He didn't have a great game, but it was definitely solid. He's allowed to have peaks and valleys too. I know people get nervous when Roy starts to stutter, but remember, he isn't being emotionally abused this season...(And he's clearly not over O'brien. So maybe when he plays poorly, he gets more nervous Vogel won't trust him or whatever..)

PG, I like it when PG teases us with his potential. He hasn't been playing well on either side of the court as of late, and tonight his defense was back, and he showed us some nice offensive moves. Just think about how that poor opposing point guard feels when he's guarding them. He's 6'10, stronger, and just as fast...I expect it'll be a few years before he really develops his offense and becomes consistent. But I'll wait.

Danny. This is what I'm talking about. Calling out West and Danny for not being a leader, and Danny toughs it out, plays really good defense, and was fantastic on the offensive end. Great game by Danny.

I thought Vogel made some really good coaching decisions tonight, he was in a bit of a funk himself.

Overall, it seemed like everyone's body language had improved, and I thought so at the beginning of the game. It wasn't pretty by any stretch, and we had some "not so great" moments, but overall..the effort seemed to be there again.
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-17-2012 at 01:22 PM.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    Roy told us not to anger Kobe with divorce stuff, he didn't say anything about KDash as far as I know.

It didn't matter though, because LA doesn't come here.
    But that wasn't for "class reasons" that was "don't upset Kobe unless you'd like to see him put 100 on us"

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Tyler Hansbrough: C If you believe in the +/- stat (I do not) then he was the best player on the floor for either team. Watching the game will change your mind about that in a hurry. Offensively he had all of the grace and poise of a hemophiliac dancing on broken glass

I want to nominate this line for "Observation of the Year"!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post: