Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 82 of 82

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Chicken Soup for the soul

  1. #76
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Chicken Soup for the soul

    Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This. The celeb-worship is mind-boggling. In the real world, there are plenty of non-celebrity women who look as least as (emphasizing here the at least as) good as Kim K, and in many cases they're also not braindead TV goofs. And the most effective way to have them ignore or mock you is to be sure that they will. Go check out any somewhat fancy or ritzy restaurant where couples tend to go for big nights out: you'll see that we live in a world where people don't pair up according to some preordained formula of attractiveness and social prestige. You'll see a lot of couplings that should be impossible under a system where 10's only date 10's, 8s only 8's, whatever. All that "out of their league" ********. People date people. It's easy to buy into whatever weird hierarchical rankings though, because when that person you thought was too good for you marries someone else, you don't have to feel bad about never initiating anything with him/her, or for not acting with the sort of conviction that might have made things play out differently.

    Just something that bugs me, how people idolize a given activity or person until they are convinced that it's so impossible that they don't need to bother. They class themselves out. I can't remember the last time one of my buddies sighed over a beer and complained that he couldn't do something he literally wasn't capable of (like going out and becoming an NBA star after years and years of smoking weed and scarfing potato chips). It's always stuff they obviously could do, but it's important that they convince themselves they can't. . . for whatever reason.
    Haven't you ever heard of the +-2 rule? You can only go 2 numbers up or down from our own. So an 8 can get a 10 or as low as 6. If you are a solid 6, watch out for the 4's. If you are below a 6....well go make alot of money, because that trumps everything.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  2. #77
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,036

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Chicken Soup for the soul

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you are below a 6....well go make alot of money, because that trumps everything.
    This.

  3. #78

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Chicken Soup for the soul

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyHoya View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not that big a thing to me, really. Humphries was an idiot to get involved with the Kardashians...

    But I didn't understand Roy to be simply saying "Don't heckle Kobe about his love life, he'll go off on us". I understood him to say, don't get into players' love lives, period.

    Area 55 is seen by the NBA opposition as Roy's thing and when we get too personal, the recipients take it personally and see Roy (unfairly, but somewhat cogently) as the instigator or countenancer of it all. .
    Right, right and right. 1) Humphries was an idiot and I'm sure he now regrets some decisions he's made. I can't hit an idiot while he's down; and I'm not going to continue to harp on something that was in essence an unexpected or bad outcome that may or may not have been at least partially out of his control. We don't know the whole truth in that sordid situation. 2) I also understood Roy's comments at the beginning of the year as well as the Kobe comments to mean that we should not chide the opponent about off-the-court issues in general. 3) Like it or not, Area 55 is indeed a reflection of Roy. The guy has respect for the game and is disciplined in how he behaves, as evidenced by the fact that I cannot remember the last time he argued with a ref or picked up a technical foul. We should in essence be a reflection of Roy.

    The wifey and I had opted not to participate in the Reggie Bush chants, for the above reasons, but also because we are not huge reality show fans and admittedly did not follow the Humphries/Kim K. storylines closely. I'm also a Dolphins fan, and so I just can't put Reggie Bush's name out, regardless of what I think about his personal decisions!

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:


  5. #79
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Chicken Soup for the soul

    Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope, you just ignored the point I was making to harp on a slight inaccuracy.
    Got it.

    Don't point out when you're wrong, because it's not wrong. It's just a 'slight inaccuracy'.

  6. #80
    Member spazzxb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    fort wayne In
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,816

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Chicken Soup for the soul

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got it.

    Don't point out when you're wrong, because it's not wrong. It's just a 'slight inaccuracy'.
    When my point was to inform you that your ace in the whole comments made no sense, given that our 2 guard was guarding Dwill almost the entire game, you shouldn't pretend like my point was invalidated by 5 minutes or so of a game that I didn't get to see. Whether or not I used the word almost has nothing to do with the fact that we utilized the 2 guard against Dwill for the vast majority of, and in every quarter of the game. My point was still valid that you "ace in the whole comment" had no resemblance to what happened in Thursday nights game.

    If I am wrong I will admit it. If you think the lack of the word almost is more than a slight inaccuracy, fine. However this doesn't change the fact that you were completely wrong when you stated that Paul George was saved as an Ace in the Whole Thursday night. Like you might not have even watched the game the game wrong. You wouldn't even comment on that, so you came at me with some irrelevant BS just so you could say I was wrong about something..

  7. #81
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,082

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Chicken Soup for the soul

    Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like it or not, Area 55 is indeed a reflection of Roy. The guy has respect for the game and is disciplined in how he behaves, as evidenced by the fact that I cannot remember the last time he argued with a ref or picked up a technical foul. We should in essence be a reflection of Roy.
    The recent Stephen Jackson thread has caused me to wake up and not take for granted what is written above.

    We're actually having a slight controversy over whether the fans may have tarnished the integrity of one of our players!

    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  8. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,317

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Chicken Soup for the soul

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote




    I can also tell you that Brook Lopez was very disgusted with the people of Indiana. In all honesty it was pretty embarrassing.

    For one of the time out games they brought out two teen age to early 20's (tops) kids and had them guess Michael Jackson songs. Early on they didn't even try and guess any of the songs and then when they played "beat it" the male participant yelled "Thriller". The problem was that the hostess said he was correct and moved on, only to be told by someone near by that he was wrong so she had to go back and have the girl guess. Someone right next to her yelled "Beat it" which she repeated sheepishly and won.

    Brook looked right at me and shook his head in disgust. I apologized on behalf of all of Indiana and said to forgive us for we are hillbillies here.

    Kurt Humphries was the center of attention from the crowd. Between people yelling at him for his TV appearance and women who kept coming up trying to get their picture with him it was a constant flow of people.
    Thanks again Peck for the insight.

    Now I feel sorry for the Nets... as Brando said with his dying breath "the horror, the horror". Ok you've proven with the statement about Humphries he became what he wanted IMHO (a celebrity). He wanted the attention and he got it.

    On the Michael Jackson thing? BOOOO my friend.... hillibillies??? You're agreeing with that old New Yawk/Jersey east coast attitude. You forget we're getting old. Indiana's youth really don't know much about Jackson other than he liked to touch kids, had a creepy face, and had his own reality death television show trial.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. The Murder of Tayshana Murphy
    By 90'sNBARocked in forum The Locker Room (General Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •