Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Irsay: Talking regularly with Manning about staying with team.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Irsay: Talking regularly with Manning about staying with team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What does teams being interested in trading for RGIII have to do with Luck? Everyone knows that the Rams are trading that pick which is why teams are going to be offering some ridiculous packages for him.

OTOH, everyone knows that the Colts are drafting Luck and that's that. No one is going to waste their time trying to pry something away that's not available in the first place. If Luck were in fact available, then the packages teams would throw at us would be even better than the ones the Rams will get for RGIII.
    That is true and watch the Rams prosper and built a good team with those packages while the Colts suffer in the cellar rebuilding for years with Luck.....

Can't wait for Luck to be selected. Colts record will be mediocre first two years and then mutiple Super Bowls for the horse shoes later. This opinion based prediction stuff is a lot of fun.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the Colts should hire OlBlu as the GM and trade the Redskins Luck for a 7th round pick.

Hell, Id even throw in a free dinner to any steakhouse of your choice in Indiana.

Seriously, go apply for the job. The kid has no talent and no value, and should be traded ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    That is true and watch the Rams prosper and built a good team with those packages while the Colts suffer in the cellar rebuilding for years with Luck.....

Were you saying this sort of stuff when the Colts went 3-13 in Manning's rookie year? Were you ready to give up on him when he had a bad 4th season in 2001 with the Cotls going 6-10?

2 of Manning's first 4 years were "rough" by any objective measure. The 5th year (Dungy's first) was solid at 10-6, but the 41-0 thrashing by the Jets is the first thing one remembers when they think of that season (aside from Harrison's receptions record). The truth is, Manning didn't get consistently great until 2003, his 6th season in the league. He showed a lot of brilliance in the early years of his career, but he also had some rough patches.

It takes time. When you're calling Luck a bust in his second year just because we aren't 12-4, don't forget that it took Peyton time too. Hypothetically speaking, if Luck is the starter next year then yes, things will be a bit rough in 2012. But we will get some good draft picks at least and if our front office is good then those could pan out well. Plus, won't we eventually have some cap room if we don't keep all of these older players? Maybe we could be a FA player for once.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Can't wait for Luck to be selected. Colts record will be mediocre first two years and then mutiple Super Bowls for the horse shoes later. This opinion based prediction stuff is a lot of fun.
    Colts will win right away with Luck. Should be 3 SB's in a row. After that other teams will catch up and it will be tougher winning our next 3. It might take 4-5 more years to win those next 3 after winning the first 3 in a row.

You are right... Opinion based predictions are fun!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Banned
    Mood

From Peter King lest we forget.....

There hasn't been a second pick in the draft this compelling since 1998. Throw away the draft trade value chart. It's meaningless when there's a player creating the buzz of Griffin. Same thing with Ryan Leaf 14 years ago. Forget what Leaf became; he and Peyton Manning, at one point after the college football season, were 1 and 1a on draft boards for any quarterback-needy teams. San Diego was picking third that year and Arizona second. The Cards put the pick up for auction. To move one spot, San Diego sent two first-round picks, a second- and three-time Pro Bowl running back/returner Eric Metcalf.

The Rams will drive a hard bargain. Cleveland (fourth overall pick), Washington (sixth) and Miami (eighth) will be in the derby to move up; Seattle (12) and a couple of mystery teams could be too. Add the fact that the money involved (four years, about $22 million) is likely to be less than the money paid to the top (current) free agent Matt Flynn, and the market for Griffin will be hopping.

"The whole paradigm has changed in several ways,'' said Rams COO Kevin Demoff Saturday night. "Griffin could be cheaper than Flynn. The fact that you can get a potential franchise quarterback for what the top picks are paid now makes it easier to justify trading a lot for it.''

So the Rams hope.

Demoff thinks there will be three distinct windows to get a deal done. The first, and I think most unlikely, is before the free agency period opens March 13; before Griffin gets hotter at his March 21 Pro Day, a team may choose to try to blow the Rams out of the water with an offer. The second would be after the Pro Day, when all the teams' decision-makers are in one spot, Palm Beach, Fla., at the March 24-28 league meetings. The third: in the days or hours before the April 26 first round.

"You can't tell what the musical chairs will do,'' said Demoff. "Maybe someone will get left out and need Griffin. You don't know.''

The Rams have to hope that two top-10 teams in the first round want to compete for the pick. Without that, they won't be able to maximize value. The Rams will trade the pick, for sure. But the size of the ransom will depend on the seriousness of the competition.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1nh6ulbkB

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    What do you mean?
    I mean that teams are trying to line themselves up to get a QB not named Andrew Luck in a draft that supposedly only has one "decade" caliber QB.

My position has always been constant. RGIII plus multiple first round picks (4-5 picks) is better than Andrew Luck by himself. It's not even close.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I mean that teams are trying to line themselves up to get a QB not named Andrew Luck in a draft that supposedly only has one "decade" caliber QB.

My position has always been constant. RGIII plus multiple first round picks (4-5 picks) is better than Andrew Luck by himself. It's not even close.
    I agree with you. Look at this way.... Apparently the Rams would not trade Sam Bradford for RGIII. Do you think anyone would consider trading Cam Newton for the rights to Luck? Would Detroit consider trading Stafford for Luck? Would San Diego consider trading Phillip Rivers for Luck? This list can go on for a while. Would Atlanta trade Ryan for Luck? Luck has Ryan Leaf written all over him......

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

problem with this logic you cant have both. You cant trade Luck then end up with RG3 without giving up nearly as much because the Rams at #2 have so many partners.

IMO the only way to make sure you get the guy you want is draft them with the #1. You could easily trade #1 and the Rams choose to trade RG3 to the Redskins because the owner really overpays I don't think your logic is realistic. But I am on record I would draft RG3 #1.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 02-28-2012 at 11:43 AM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Luck is irrelevant. Luck is being picked by the Colts and everyone around the NFL knows this. No one is going to waste their time worrying about something that is off the table.

RGIII has gotten plenty of hype, BTW. There is Luck, RGIII, and then everyone else. They are the only two guys who could command a large trade package.

You advocating us getting RGIII plus multiple first round picks isn't a feasible scenario unless you believe that St. Louis would kick Bradford to the curb for Luck even though they wouldn't for RGIII. Plus, instead of getting a bunch of picks (like they will for RGIII), they would have to give up a ton in order to get Luck.

How exactly could we pull off getting RGIII AND the draft picks? St. Louis controls his destiny and they are the ones who are going to be trading him for picks. I think they would rather have Bradford + a bunch of picks as opposed to having Luck while giving up a ton of their picks to us (which is what would be required in your scenario). That's a difference of like 7 or 8 picks.

Your scenario just doesn't work.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-28-2012 at 11:54 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

RWB

There are always options to get what you want.

Not to mention the fact that StL might not trade the pick. They very well could have a player, say Justin Blackmon, as their target. If the only trade partners are coming from the Redskins (6th pick) or the Dolphins (8th pick) they couldn't be guaranteed that the player they want would be available. Then what do they do?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    problem with this logic you cant have both. You cant trade Luck then end up with RG3 without giving up nearly as much because the Rams at #2 have so many partners.

IMO the only way to make sure you get the guy you want is draft them with the #1. You could easily trade #1 and the Rams choose to trade RG3 to the Redskins because the owner really overpays I don't think your logic is realistic. But I am on record I would draft RG3 #1.
    Dan Snyder has not overpaid for players in a while, really a couple of years.

Yes, I could see RGIII being a Redskins. And yes, that excites me. Then again, it doesnt take a lot to excite me any more when it comes to the Redskins

As far as the Colts missing on Luck and the #1 pick, look no further to when they drafted Manning. They got that QB decision right. And like I said, look no further because then you'll see Jeff George....

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I really hope you're joking with that.

I really hope you're joking with that.
    When you have to explain the jokes it really calls the joke into question...

I used the old expression "look no further" and tied it to the Colts picking Manning over Leaf and how they used that pick perfectly to get a franchise QB (implying they'd not miss this one either). Then, still with the phrase "look no further" in mind, I pointed out I really meant "look no further". If you did look further at the Colts' history you'd see the Colts totally whiffing when they thought Jeff George was the next big franchise NFL QB and picking him. Then I added the 'eek' smiley to emphasize they certainly could be wrong about Luck just as they were wrong about Jeff George.

There... I explained it...

------

-John Wooden

There are always options to get what you want.

Not to mention the fact that StL might not trade the pick. They very well could have a player, say Justin Blackmon, as their target. If the only trade partners are coming from the Redskins (6th pick) or the Dolphins (8th pick) they couldn't be guaranteed that the player they want would be available. Then what do they do?
    There are not always options. There are limits to everything. Getting RGIII plus 4-5 picks is simply not feasible.

In you're scenario above, I have no idea what they would do. But we certainly still wouldn't be part of the picture. They want to go forward with Bradford and improve the team around him as they have already committed a ton of money to him. There is no way that they would trade the number 2 pick plus a bunch of other picks to us for Andrew Luck and then be left with nothing except two expensive young quarterbacks with virtually no other way to improve the team. They will find someone to take RGIII, and even if what they get isn't the ideal scenario, it's still better than trading RGIII and a bunch of picks to us. Manning coming back to the Colts and playing Wide Receiver is more likely than the Colts getting RGIII and 4-5 picks.

But all of that is hypothetical and moot because it's a foregone conclusion that we are drafting Andrew Luck. None of the other 31 teams are even thinking about Andrew Luck right now because they know where he is going in two months.

I just love how you structure you're argument. There are always options, but it's not feasible. Talk about a contradiction.

I just love how you structure you're argument. There are always options, but it's not feasible. Talk about a contradiction.

Or talk about no contradiction whatsoever. There are plenty of options for the Rams, but zero that would leave the Colts with RGIII and 4-5 picks. How is that a contradiction? It seems pretty straightforward to me. The Rams can do plenty of things, but there is nothing feasible that would leave the Colts with RGIII and 4-5 picks, just like there is no way the Rams could turn that pick into Brady and Welker. There are limits to everything. How is "there are always options, but it's not feasible" a contradiction, anyway? The Pacers will have plenty of options at the trade deadline, but none of them will involve us adding Lebron. Is that a contradiction too?

But continue to ignore the obvious infeasibility of the Colts ending up with RGIII and 4-5 picks if you wish.....
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 02-28-2012 at 01:11 PM.

If the Rams take, say, Justin Blackmon and don't trade the pick, then you're whole scenario is shot to pieces.

That's the point.

You can't argue that there are always options, and then argue that something cannot happen. That's a contradiction.

I'm not ignoring anything. Are we really going to get back on to this schtick? Having a different ****ing opinion doesn't mean that I'm not listening to your opinion.

I would highly appreciate it if this ******** stops. AGAIN.

If the Rams take, say, Justin Blackmon and don't trade the pick, then you're whole scenario is shot to pieces.

That's the point.

You can't argue that there are always options, and then argue that something cannot happen. That's a contradiction.

Arguing that there are always options but that not every single option in the world is feasible is not a contradiction.

So it's not feasible that the Rams don't trade the pick? Come on now....

Sure that's feasible. But it doesn't change the fact that the Colts getting RGIII and 4-5 picks is very very very unrealistic.

The Colts have no bearing on any of this stuff, anyway. No one around the NFL is picking up the phone and calling the Colts about anything. Everyone knows what they are doing. Their decision has been set in stone for a while now.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

they are trading the pick yes it isnt feasible to keep it. Just look at the return they are gonna get for just trading back to #4 they could still get Blackmon or Kalil they could use both LT or WR which ever one the Vikes take you get the other elite prospect.

It is just ridiculous to think they will keep the pick and pick Blackmon or Kalil when they can trade back and get the same guy while picking up a few picks.

and if they get blown away with a better offer they take that. There is 0% chance that RG3 isn't the 2nd pick.

Their decision isn't set in stone. They can do anything they'd like. Trying to argue that they have to draft Luck is the problem here.

I have no problem with arguing difference of opinion. I have a problem when you start arguing that your opinion is the only solution, and therefore, you cannot be wrong under any circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    they are trading the pick yes it isnt feasible to keep it. Just look at the return they are gonna get for just trading back to #4 they could still get Blackmon or Kalil they could use both LT or WR which ever one the Vikes take you get the other elite prospect.

It is just ridiculous to think they will keep the pick and pick Blackmon or Kalil when they can trade back and get the same guy while picking up a few picks.

and if they get blown away with a better offer they take that. There is 0% chance that RG3 isn't the 2nd pick.
    Can you pick out the winning lotto numbers too, while you're at it? If you're so sure about your ability to see the future, then I would hope that you'd atleast want to profit off of it.

It's pretty pointless to try and argue with people that argue in absolutes.