Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Irsay: Talking regularly with Manning about staying with team.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Irsay: Talking regularly with Manning about staying with team.

[QUOTE=hoosierguy;1382056]
    Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

You are ridiculous. Luck a pimple on Cam's butt? What are you sniffing?

Furthermore, the fact that the Panthers went 6-10 in Newton's rookie season in no way means that it will take another four seasons before the Panthers make the playoffs.

You know jack squat about football- your absurd assessment of Luck is without merit and holds no value. Brady Quinn at QB? Quit posting. You just make yourself look more and more stupid.
    I think it is you who knows nothing. Cam Newton is the real deal. Perhaps the best rookie season of any QB in history. Cam will go immediately to the Hall of Fame barring some terrible injury. Do you think Luck will post number anywhere close to Cam Newton's? The answer is this, Cam Newton has proven himself and Luck has not. The answer to your other question is "no", I don't think it will take the Panthers that long to make the playoffs because they have an all pro superstar at QB. Luck isn't that and he may never be that.

[QUOTE=OlBlu;1383147]
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post

Do you think Luck will post number anywhere close to Cam Newton's?

Do I think he can post anything close to 21 TDs/17 picks/4051 yards with a 84.5 rating? Yeah, I feel pretty confident in saying he can. Cam Newton's numbers were excellent for a rookie QB, but you're acting they were on another planet. Luck could easily post numbers like that.

Banned
    Mood

[QUOTE=Sollozzo;1383153]

Do I think he can post anything close to 21 TDs/17 picks/4051 yards with a 84.5 rating? Yeah, I feel pretty confident in saying he can. Cam Newton's numbers were excellent for a rookie QB, but you're acting they were on another planet. Luck could easily post numbers like that.
    Easily? Wow. You are talking about what may be the best rookie season for a QB in NFL history. Luck won't come within a 1000 yards of those passing totals and you didn't even mention the yards gained on the ground and TDs scored there. It isn't even clear to some well known experts that Luck has an NFL arm. I think Luck is not better than a 50/50 shot to even be a mediocre starter in the NFL. He is the most overrated player to come in to the league since Ricky Williams. Take that boat load of picks and players and draft a highly rated QB lower in the first round and you will have that same 50/50 shot but you can fill your roster needs with players in positions that not such a risk. Luck will never be Peyton Manning caliber...

Luck may or may not be a star QB in the NFL. You acting so sure that he won't be is just as ridiculous as those that are sure he will be.

Do you have a link to these "experts" saying that he doesn't have a strong arm? I'd love to see some proof on that. Everything I've read online says that he has a strong arm and all the tools to be a good QB.

Not sure how the cool smiley fits at the end. Gives me the impression that you just think it's cool to be that guy that goes against the hype.

I would hope Colts entertain trading down to see what exactly they can get for the 1st pick but unless it's a solid number of good picks then I'd pick Luck or Griffin and be done with it.

Banned
    Mood

You are exactly right, Luck may or may not be a star in the NFL. I am only saying it is a 50/50 proposition just like it is for most players. Parcells and Sims were adamant that they just didn't see Luck making NFL throws.... Search them and you will find the statements. I agree with your last statement. Look at what is offered and if someone is willing to overpay for the rights to Luck (and I believe they will), trade those rights for that package..... I use the smiley face as a signature because I used to run a picture of myself that looked like that. I haven't looked into putting that picture here, I will.......

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OlBlu, the more I read of your posts, the more I believe you're a blatant troll.

Give Luck a chance. Jesus man.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    OlBlu, the more I read of your posts, the more I believe you're a blatant troll.

Give Luck a chance. Jesus man.
    He gets no chance with me. I have been a Colts fan (I used to live in Indy) since Johnny U played in Baltimore..... I will be watching Peyton wherever he plays. Perhaps I will come back to the Colts when he retires.... I know they will be basement dwellers for years taking this approach. Hell, Garcon turned down their five year offer. They only have Collie and Blair White signed up for next year. Good luck with all of that. Why does everyone start calling you a troll when they disagree with you? Does that make you a troll since you disagree with me? I don't think it does.....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think there is a certain degree of risk in just using the number one pick to put all of our eggs into one basket. But, your assumption is that it is an even risk, probably because there are two ooutcomes... either Luck will succeed or he will not.

But alas, we are not flipping a coin here. Each outcome does NOT have an equal probability of bearing fruit. I haven't read a single expert that predicts Luck being a flop. And, I have read a heck of a lot that state he is the next best thing at QB since Elway/Manning. It just seems to me that based on that, Luck's chances of turning out good/great are probably deemed to be significantly better than 50/50. More than likely, it's probably even better than 80/20.

As far as many labeling you a troll, I think it comes with good reason. When one is so overbearingly confident in an opinion that is thought to be negative, or nearly anti-Colts, by the vast majority of posters, then I think that one might find himself considered to be a troll.

In supposedly being Colts fan, you have basically mentioned that you were a Unitas fan and now you are a Manning fan. You further state that you will remain a Manning fan, where ever he plays, and might return as a Colts fan once Manning retires.

Is it not possible that you are not a fan of the team at all, but instead are a fan of specific NFL players throughout their careers, only to possibly shift to becoming a fan of another player and his team as each of your favorites retires? If so, I don't know that I would necessarily classify as a "Colts fan".

Banned
    Mood

Well, you can put it any way you want. I think we should keep the best QB in the NFL and use the draft picks we could get for Luck to surround him with talent. It all depends on whether you want to rebuild this team on the run and keep winning or you want to tear it all down and take Luck and lose for years. That is the choice that I think they have before them....

Lucks numbers at the combine make it an even easier decision. Who knew Luck was that athletic? He beat Cam Newton's numbers in most drills. Incredible because he will be a better passer and a smarter player on the field down the road than Cam.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Lucks numbers at the combine make it an even easier decision. Who knew Luck was that athletic? He beat Cam Newton's numbers in most drills. Incredible because he will be a better passer and a smarter player on the field down the road than Cam.
    He did post some numbers that were certainly better than I expected but some of those are mostly irrelevent. So is Griffin's 40 time. Newton was a rookie last year. He is going to be getting better and better. Luck will be fortunate to ever get to Cam's numbers last year especially when the Colts gut this team as they are going to do. Luck won't make the probowl his first year and he won't throw for the yards Cam did.

. Luck won't make the probowl his first year and he won't throw for the yards Cam did.
    Who cares if Luck makes the probowl his first year. Peyton makes it every year yet has only one Super Bowl to show for it. I thought football was a team sport?

Blu, I think you stir too much sometimes.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

BTW... I heard on television this morning that some pundit was saying Manning is making some tremendous strides right now.

No link but I assume the quote must be out there somewhere. I had Fox59 on this morning so that's where I heard it. Might've been a SI reporter they were quoting...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    BTW... I heard on television this morning that some pundit was saying Manning is making some tremendous strides right now.

No link but I assume the quote must be out there somewhere. I had Fox59 on this morning so that's where I heard it. Might've been a SI reporter they were quoting...
    I don't mean this to be as derogatory as it probably reads, but at this point I assume every thing national media says about Peyton is being directly fed to them by his camp.

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Peyton Manning's performance level is "way on the ascent from where it was two months ago or even a month ago."
    That was who/what Fox59 was quoting this morning...

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

...and then following the above there is this...
    According to SI.com's Peter King, there's still "much skepticism" Peyton Manning can "throw well enough before the start of free agency."

------

-John Wooden

He did post some numbers that were certainly better than I expected but some of those are mostly irrelevent. So is Griffin's 40 time. Newton was a rookie last year. He is going to be getting better and better. Luck will be fortunate to ever get to Cam's numbers last year especially when the Colts gut this team as they are going to do. Luck won't make the probowl his first year and he won't throw for the yards Cam did.

That's why I said down the road. It's going to be hard the first year(assuming he plays and not Manning) with all the changes in both personnel and philosophies.

He gets no chance with me. I have been a Colts fan (I used to live in Indy) since Johnny U played in Baltimore..... I will be watching Peyton wherever he plays. Perhaps I will come back to the Colts when he retires.... I know they will be basement dwellers for years taking this approach. Hell, Garcon turned down their five year offer. They only have Collie and Blair White signed up for next year. Good luck with all of that. Why does everyone start calling you a troll when they disagree with you? Does that make you a troll since you disagree with me? I don't think it does.....
    So you are a manning fan and not a colts fan?

Why does Luck get no chance with you? If you were truly a Colts fan, then you wouldn't be writing off players before they get a chance to play. Did he **** in your wheaties?

As far as we know, Manning still isn't a sure thing to even be playing next year. Even if we don't take Luck, Colts still need to be looking for a starting QB because it's at best 50/50 that manning can play next year at the level that we would expect.
    Last edited by Swingman; 02-27-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Swingman View Post
    So you are a manning fan and not a colts fan?

Why does Luck get no chance with you? If you were truly a Colts fan, then you wouldn't be writing off players before they get a chance to play. Did he **** in your wheaties?

As far as we know, Manning still isn't a sure thing to even be playing next year. Even if we don't take Luck, Colts still need to be looking for a starting QB because it's at best 50/50 that manning can play next year at the level that we would expect.
    It is 100% that Manning will play this coming year. I am a Colts fan and I want to see them rebuild and keep winning. With Luck they lose for years to come while Manning will be going to playoffs with another team. There will be no shortage of offers to Peyton. I think the team should be more loyal to Peyton for all he has already done while Luck hasn't done squat and may never do anything. St. Louis is going to make out like a bandit trading the right to RGIII. If we were smart, we would do the same and take a QB later in the first or the early second round. The odds of success with that are just as good PLUS you have filled some holes at other positions where the risk is not so great. The Patriots never see any need to get the first rated QB but they are geared to winning every year and not going on five year rebuilding programs.......

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

It's not 100% Peyton'll ever play again, let alone next season.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It's not 100% Peyton'll ever play again, let alone next season.
    Well, what kind of odds will you give me then that he does play? I'm willing to bet a considerable sum that he will. He had receivers saying before the end of last year that he had his fastball back and was throwing with some zip. I think this is as close to a no brainer (the 100%) that could exist. Saturday said he will play this too..... He would have passed the physical with any other team than the Colts at the end of the season. They don't want to see him throw...

It's 100% Manning wants to play this next season.

It's 100% he's going to try and play this next season.

It is not 100% he'll be able to play at the same level if he does play.

It is not 100% that the issues won't return at some point, possibly during preseason, maybe in a year or two.

It is not 100% that even if Manning is able to regain form in time to start the season that age and injury won't rob him of his effectiveness and former durability sooner rather than later.

I'd love to see Manning effectively QBing the Colts next season with no injury concerns popping up and with a balanced squad on both sides of the ball. But there are a lot of 'ifs' and gambles for that scenario to play out. I also want to see the Colts able to have long term success again ASAP. For that scenario to be possible Manning will have to compromise to be involved in it.
    Last edited by Bball; 02-27-2012 at 02:46 PM.

------

-John Wooden

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I will stick by my prediction of at least four months ago that he retires.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    It's 100% Manning wants to play this next season.

It's 100% he's going to try and play this next season.

It is not 100% he'll be able to play at the same level if he does play.

It is not 100% that the issues won't return at some point, possibly during preseason, maybe in a year or two.

It is not 100% that even if Manning is able to regain form in time to start the season that age and injury won't rob him of his effectiveness and former durability sooner rather than later.

I'd love to see Manning effectively QBing the Colts next season with no injury concerns popping up and with a balanced squad on both sides of the ball. But there are a lot of 'ifs' and gambles for that scenario to play out. I also want to see the Colts able to have long term success again ASAP. For that scenario to be possible Manning will have to compromise to be involved in it.

Good post. You can't even think about trading away a possible once in a decade type player with all the "ifs" concerning Manning. Like you said even if he makes it back at a respectable level(which I doubt) he could have a setback at any time. I'm not even sure his arm will be able to take the reps through the week that it takes to get comfortable with all the timing routes.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Good post. You can't even think about trading away a possible once in a decade type player with all the "ifs" concerning Manning. Like you said even if he makes it back at a respectable level(which I doubt) he could have a setback at any time. I'm not even sure his arm will be able to take the reps through the week that it takes to get comfortable with all the timing routes.
    What??? Is is just a strength issue now. It will be either strong enough or it won't. Many people said it was strong enough in December but the Colts don't want to hear that. He might get a new injury but a "setback" is a near impossibility. The fusion is a success and he could play with that even in a big hit position like a running back or a linebacker. Luck isn't a once in a decade player. Like I have been saying he will have a LONG way to go to be even close to Cam Newton.... It is 50/50 that he will be a serviceable NFL QB. It is about one in then to two in ten that he ever becomes a star...... Many have come before and very few did that. Some teams, like the Patriots, won't even draft a QB high...... You may hate them and I do too but you have to admit they are a solidly run franchise and they just don't go off on five year rebuilding benders like the Colts are preparing to do......