Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Irsay: Talking regularly with Manning about staying with team.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Irsay: Talking regularly with Manning about staying with team.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Their decision isn't set in stone. They can do anything they'd like. Trying to argue that they have to draft Luck is the problem here.

I have no problem with arguing difference of opinion. I have a problem when you start arguing that your opinion is the only solution, and therefore, you cannot be wrong under any circumstances.
    when everyone at the combine said they are trading the pick and Fisher said they aren't trading Bradford I tend to believe that the decision has been made already.

If you can get 2 1st and a 2 and a 3 and possibly much more which is what is being reported you do the trade.

Shefter is reporting this I doubt he does this off baseless sources he also said the Rams have taken calls from the Browns Dolphins and Redskins and expect to get more interest as the draft nears.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 02-28-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And if the Colts deicision has already been made, then why aren't they in talks with Luck seeing as how they can sign him already? Or I should say, do you expect them too?

What the Colts do is going to determine where the chips fall, not the other way around.

And also, everyone thought that PM wouldn't play again too. The media has been wrong just a couple times before. Just a couple though.

Their decision isn't set in stone. They can do anything they'd like. Trying to argue that they have to draft Luck is the problem here.

I have no problem with arguing difference of opinion. I have a problem when you start arguing that your opinion is the only solution, and therefore, you cannot be wrong under any circumstances.

Not saying that I can't be wrong under any circumstances. All I'm saying is that RGIII plus a bunch of good picks is very unrealistic. You want to argue that RGIII will be the better pro and that the Colts should take him outright? That's fine, and I'm sure there are people who would agree with that. But when you start talking about us getting RGIII plus draft picks, well, then you start running into some major feasibility issues. It just doesn't work when you look at the teams involved and the situations they are in. I don't think me saying that means that I'm saying "I cannot be wrong under any circumstances."

Aside from you saying that "there are always options", I've yet to hear you give a plausible theory as to how we could actually pull of RGIII plus picks. OTOH, me saying that we will pick Luck doesn't require any magic for it to happen. He is the most well-received prospect and we can simply pick him outright. Seems pretty cut and dry, IMO.

If the Rams don't trade the pick, it would depend on how the Vikings rate the difference between Luck and RGIII. If they would rather have Luck, you would make the trade with them.

Would it be the same 4-5 picks? No. But it would still be multiple picks.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

The latest from Peter King. How a combo of Reggie Wayne, Garcon and Peyton....

Wherever Manning goes, trusted receiver Wayne may follow

Story Highlights

Peyton Manning. Reggie Wayne want to stay together even if both leave the Colts

Redskins have the cap room to keep Manning, Wayne and Pierre Garcon together

Trading Sam Bradford doesn't make sense for Rams for a number of reasons

Reggie Wayne has made 787 of his 862 career receptions off of passes from Peyton Manning.

Getty Images

The latest in the Peyton Manning story involves a Manning-Reggie Wayne reunion, which I'm told at least two potential suitor teams would seriously consider in an attempt to lure the rehabbing Manning if the Colts cut him between now and the March 8 deadline Indianapolis has for exercising a $28 million option bonus to keep the legendary quarterback.

Such a pairing would not only be a plus for Manning, who would love to see it happen, according to one NFL source. But also it would allow him to go to his new team with one familiar receiving face, and if you can say one thing about Manning, it's that he loves familiarity, particularly in how his receivers anticipate throws and the precision of their route-running.

Wayne, who teamed with Manning for 10 of his 11 seasons with the Colts, would allow Manning to enter a new phase in his career with a receiver who could be the template for other receivers on the team to emulate. I'm told the 33-year-old Wayne, a looming free agent when the market opens March 13, is very interested in the combo platter also. Wayne caught 862 passes in his Colt career, including 397 in a four-year span with Manning.

Where would the best fit be? Let's examine Manning's most likely suitors to see where Wayne matches up with team needs:

Miami. With Brandon Marshall at one outside receiver and Davone Bess a good slot player, Wayne could slide seamlessly into the other starting receiver spot, ahead of Brian Hartline.

New York Jets. Not so good a fit for Wayne, with Plaxico Burress (assuming he re-signs in free agency) and the pouty Santonio Holmes penciled in as starters. But you saw GM Mike Tannenbaum erase the reliable and well-respected Chad Pennington easily in 2008 for Brett Favre. If the Jets have to let one of the receivers go, even by taking Holmes' cap hit, don't be surprised to see them do so if it means getting Manning.

Seattle. The injury-prone Sidney Rice makes this a tough call. But the Seahawks certainly have the cash to make this happen, and it's exceedingly logical to think they'd be interested in both. With Rice and Mike Williams the current projected starters, you'd think Pete Carroll would use Williams and Golden Tate as swing players and injury insurance, with the heady Doug Baldwin the kind of slot receiver Manning could use as his new Brandon Stokley.

Washington. The 'Skins are crying out for a No. 1 receiver, with stopgap Jabar Gaffney and aging Santana Moss the two incumbents. Washington could use two receivers, not just one. Imagine the Redskins with Manning, Wayne and Mario Manningham next fall. Scary ... if Manning's healthy, of course.

Arizona. Manning to Larry Fitzgerald. Dreamy. Manning to Fitzgerald and Reggie Wayne. Dreamier.

Kansas City. The Chiefs seem much more likely to build around Matt Cassel and a free-agent import to compete with him, and keep Jonathan Baldwin and Dwayne Bowe. But Peyton Manning can make teams do things they never foresaw.

The guess here? Manning's going to be in an incredible power seat if he and his rehabbing neck are healthy when he works out for teams in the near future -- assuming, of course, the Colts release him by the start of free agency. Miami's owner, Stephen Ross, will be drooling to get him. As will the Jets' triumvirate of Woody Johnson, Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan. Seattle, an upstart, would provide Manning the relative privacy he'd love in the remote Northwest, a superstar trying to win one more title with a smart staff and a rising defense. With Washington, Manning would be matched with a coach he greatly admires, Mike Shanahan, and a top-10 defense.

And one more note from potential free agency, according to a source close to another free-agent receiver: Pierre Garcon, another Colt soon to be free, turned down a five-year contract offer from Indianapolis last week. More than one general manager at the combine said that's a sign Garcon doesn't want to do anything until he knows what Manning is going to do. What if, say, Washington GM Bruce Allen, with $49 million in cap room before adding the earned-incentives from the 2011 salary-cap year, says to Manning: "We'll recreate your 2010 receiving corps, and you'll have a defense already strong enough to play at a Super Bowl level.'' Could be very tempting.

It all hinges, of course, on Manning being healthy enough to be Manning. It won't be long before we know if he is.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1ni2G1RUd

And I should also say that I would take RGIII with the first pick too.

It all depends on how healthy Peyton is. If you've got faith in him, or he's back to a Peyton standard, taking RGIII with the intention of letting him learn behind PM would be nice.

With the numbers he's putting up at the combine, it would make the decision a little easier imo, but it would still take guts.

I just really don't think that the Colts are going to let Peyton walk. If it's blind optimism, so be it, but I don't think so.

And I should also say that I would take RGIII with the first pick too.

It all depends on how healthy Peyton is. If you've got faith in him, or he's back to a Peyton standard, taking RGIII with the intention of letting him learn behind PM would be nice.

With the numbers he's putting up at the combine, it would make the decision a little easier imo, but it would still take guts.

I just really don't think that the Colts are going to let Peyton walk. If it's blind optimism, so be it, but I don't think so.
    It must be blind optimism to think that two young bucks with the credentials Luck and RG have are going to sit behind a guy who is very likely not going to be the old Peyton. There are various degrees of healthy and to think Peyton will be 100% is just crazy. There is absolutely no evidence that he will be 100% and people just don't heal from that kind of nerve deficit that fast. He will perhaps be healthier but not as healthy nor young nor strong as the two guys who could be sitting on the bench. Give up the fantasy. No team is going to leave Luck or RG on the sidelines.

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    It must be blind optimism to think that two young bucks with the credentials Luck and RG have are going to sit behind a guy who is very likely not going to be the old Peyton. There are various degrees of healthy and to think Peyton will be 100% is just crazy. There is absolutely no evidence that he will be 100% and people just don't heal from that kind of nerve deficit that fast. He will perhaps be healthier but not as healthy nor young nor strong as the two guys who could be sitting on the bench. Give up the fantasy. No team is going to leave Luck or RG on the sidelines.
    Everything I have read says he should be back to 100% long before training camp. Rumors say that he is closing in on exactly that. Other teams will take him and let him complete the process to get to 100%. St. Louis is passing on RGIII and going with Bradford who was injured and is still injured. What are the chances that Bradford will never get back to 100%?......

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Everything I have read says he should be back to 100% long before training camp. Rumors say that he is closing in on exactly that. Other teams will take him and let him complete the process to get to 100%. St. Louis is passing on RGIII and going with Bradford who was injured and is still injured. What are the chances that Bradford will never get back to 100%?......
    Nonsense because no one can say how nerves will regenerate. Doctors can't tell. You can't look at nerves and say they will regenerate. We are not talking bone fusion here but a slow process of nerves coming back if they come back at all. So give us a link to "everything I read". Nerves can degenerate from a lot less than the pinching and irritation due to a degenerate disk.
    Last edited by speakout4; 02-28-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Banned
    Mood

Nonsense because no one can say how nerves will regenerate. Doctors can't tell. You can't look at nerves and say they will regenerate. We are not talking bone fusion here but a slow process of nerves coming back if they come back at all. So give us a link to "everything I read". Nerves can degenerate from a lot less than the pinching and irritation due to a degenerate disk.
    There are several sources this week who say Manning is quickly getting back to normal. Peter King even eluded to it in the article I posted here. You may not like it but Peyton is going to be back, he is going to play and he is going to be as good as ever.......

There are several sources this week who say Manning is quickly getting back to normal. Peter King even eluded to it in the article I posted here. You may not like it but Peyton is going to be back, he is going to play and he is going to be as good as ever.......
    Link to sources please.

Banned
    Mood

Link to sources please.
    Peter King was one and that is posted here.

Adam Schefter was another source on Monday. He said that Manning had made great progress throwing recently and interest in him was very high with several NFL teams........

Mood

I would not be too ticked off if we trade out of the #1 spot and pick up neither Luck or RG III if Peyton comes in healthy enough to warrant keeping him. If he looks so good as people have been saying, why not trade down a few spots and give Peyton some real help. Someone will flinch on draft day and offer up a Ditka like package. If "hands of stone" Garcon goes why not drop down and try to get Blackmon to replace him. If we can get multiple picks it would be easier to fill our holes and would solidify our team for the future. I would rather wait until next year and see if we can package a few older vets to a team for a high draft pick and see if we can get a guy like Barkley from USC to learn from Peyton. The two big things that would have to happen though for any of this to go through would be Peyton throwing the ball like he used to and him willing to restructure his contract, which I think he would if he were to know that we were trying to upgrade as much as we can to make a run after a deep playoff run with Peyton. I'd rather keep Wayne than Garcon anyway and if Peyton drops his cap hold significantly I think we can sign our guys, have enough for our new draftees and possibly bring in one FA. I don't think we are as far off as we are. Our defense lost a lot of quality players to IR and who knows how they will fit into the new scheme. But we have Freeney, Angerer, Bullitt and several other quality players that will help improve the team on that side. Throw in a few higher drafted youngsters and we could have a very competitive defense. I think we will have much better o-line play as well this year with our two young studs, Saturday (if he decides to come back) and a deep rotation of guys to help keep Peyton off of his backside. Our running game should be better because of the threat a healthy Peyton would do in manipulating the defensive coverages. I think we are not as bad as our record indicated last year with the rash of injuries and missing Peyton. Yes the AFC South is getting better but I think we would have a chance to win now.

Banned
    Mood

This is what I have been advocating. Trade for all the picks you can and Peyton will renegotiate his contract. If they go ahead and draft, Luck, I do not think that he will because there won't be enough pieces left to be competitive........

It's about to be March 1st people. Peyton's own agent, who'd be the first to do it, hasn't even come out and said anything close to he's ready to play. You don't pick up a 28 million dollar option, after just giving him 26 million, on a 36 year old QB with an entirely new coaching staff, with maybe a new top 2 WRs, a new C, and maybe no Clark. And even if everyone's back and Peyton's healthy, what's the top end, 9 wins?

I like the guy as much as anyone, but it's time to move on. I get that that's really hard with the 10+ years of stability the franchise has had, but it's just true.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

If the Rams don't trade the pick, it would depend on how the Vikings rate the difference between Luck and RGIII. If they would rather have Luck, you would make the trade with them.

Would it be the same 4-5 picks? No. But it would still be multiple picks.

Rams will almost surely trade it. Unless they are convinced that Blackmon is the next Marvin Harrison, they will almost surely get a package for RGIII that is more valuable than anything they could use the pick on, given RGIII's hype and performance at the combine. I think the most likely scenario is that they work out something with Cleveland, which would give them the 4th pick and allow them to pick Blackmon anyway.

Weird how you go from saying there isn't any way he'll be back to 100% and in one post after you start talking about how no one knows.

Mood

Colts need to just renegotiate a contract with Peyton if possible, even if it is after he becomes a free agent, trade the #1 for the #2 pick and a 2nd and 4th round from the Rams.

It will benefit both teams, Rams can then trade that pick for future first as well as first this year and other picks. Now the Colts can take whoever falls to 2 most likely Griffin who I have no problems with as a QB. The only thing that I worried about with him before the combine was his size which was much better than I had expected.
    Why so SERIOUS

Weird how you go from saying there isn't any way he'll be back to 100% and in one post after you start talking about how no one knows.
    You need to take remedial reading classes because what i said was that the rehab is ongoing and reaching 100% may take a while if it happens at all. Then the "no one knows" comment refers to exactly where he is now whether it is 30, 40, 60% etc.
    You seem to have a knack or is it a talent to misinterpret what others are saying.

Banned
    Mood

You need to take remedial reading classes because what i said was that the rehab is ongoing and reaching 100% may take a while if it happens at all. Then the "no one knows" comment refers to exactly where he is now whether it is 30, 40, 60% etc.
    You seem to have a knack or is it a talent to misinterpret what others are saying.
    I think this whole conversation would be more appropriate if you turned that horse around and had if from that end......

I think this whole conversation would be more appropriate if you turned that horse around and had if from that end......
    i think you're right. Volunteering for that designation?

Banned
    Mood

i think you're right. Volunteering for that designation?
    It is your horse, Mr. Ed........

It is your horse, Mr. Ed........
    But you fit the description much better than me.

Banned
    Mood

But you fit the description much better than me.
    Nah, not even lose.... I have had this life long problem with horse's and the people who speak from that end......

[QUOTE=OlBlu;1385674]Nah, not even lose.... I have had this life long problem with horse's and the people who speak from that end......[/QUOTE

Quoting Naptown -failed retirement?